VR headset market grew 8.2% in Q3 2018; PSVR was the #1 selling headset

• 77 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
#1 Edited by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

Guess VR's not dying like some on here say it is, huh? ;) Anyway, great news for VR fans. A growth of %8.2 YoY in the third quarter can only mean that VR's popularity is increasing. The PSVR's numbers for the third quarter are at 463,000; second place goes to Rift with 300,000; Vive was at 230,000. PSVR continues to lead the pack! But overall, good news for fans of all the major VR headsets.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/04/idc-vr-headset-market-grew-8-2-in-q3-2018-led-by-sony-psvr-and-oculus/

From the article:

"Sony’s PlayStation VR was the single best-selling headset in the quarter with shipments of 463,000 headsets, topping Rift’s 300,000 units and HTC’s sales of 230,000 Vives. The continued strength of PSVR — a tethered solution requiring a PlayStation 4 console — is particularly noteworthy given that standalone VR headsets have grown to 20.6 percent of the market."

#2 Posted by KBFloYd (21054 posts) -

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (32962 posts) -

PSVR is the cheapest VR you can get and not only that, it's still the only VR device available on current-gen consoles, so that gives it a slight advantage.

But overall, it's great seeing PSVR, Oculus Rift, & HTC Vive all doing well.

#4 Edited by Shewgenja (20810 posts) -

Its going strong. Peoples expectations on both side of the coin werea bit ridiculous but the growth is there and interest is rising still. VR is here to stay.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
#5 Posted by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

These are speculations so we shouldn't really use it as a base. We do know that PSVR hit 3 million at the end of July and won't be long before it hits 4 million, so that's not bad. Oculus Go is exceeding expectations as noted by Oculus so that's good.

Growth is still going to be slow for a bit. I expect it will pick up a lot more this time next year with more AAA releases, Oculus Quest, and Valve's headset release if it happens in 2019.

PSVR had a pretty good year of software. Astro Bot is incredible.

#6 Posted by Planeforger (17813 posts) -

I wonder how PSVR will be affected by the PS5 launch in ~2020.

Will Sony release an updated VR version? Will they drop support for early adopters?

#7 Posted by Dagubot (1010 posts) -

Lmao you only seem to pop up when PSVR isdoing slightly well...lol.

#8 Posted by That_Old_Guy (665 posts) -

@davillain-: I would think Vive and Occulus have a bigger advantage since there’s a billion PC’s out there....and that certain industry that dictates what we use like VHS or Beta Maxback in the day.

But are we saying that we understand that it takes a hefty PC to run VR and/or the PlayStation fan base is more prone to indulge into other means of entertaiment and not just Indy games and 1 or 2 AAA games.

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42353 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Its going strong. Peoples expectations on both side of the coin werea bit ridiculous but the growth is there and interest is rising still. VR is here to stay.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I'm just happy VR is not "dying" like people say. It's an incredibly awesome way to experience media, and it is still in its infancy as far as I am concerned; when we start seeing wireless headsets with high-def (no "screen door") displays, then I will be content.

With that said, the only negative to VR right now is not being able to read my MFD's in DCS World: A-10C

#10 Posted by MonsieurX (38364 posts) -

@that_old_guy said:

@davillain-: I would think Vive and Occulus have a bigger advantage since there’s a billion PC’s out there....and that certain industry that dictates what we use like VHS or Beta Maxback in the day.

But are we saying that we understand that it takes a hefty PC to run VR and/or the PlayStation fan base is more prone to indulge into other means of entertaiment and not just Indy games and 1 or 2 AAA games.

Like the PS4 this year?

#11 Posted by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

@dagubot said:

I post on this forum here and there a lot, dude. I just don't have much time these days.

#12 Posted by Dagubot (1010 posts) -
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dagubot said:

I post on this forum here and there a lot, dude. I just don't have much time these days.

😂

#13 Posted by DaVillain- (32962 posts) -

@that_old_guy said:

I was only aiming at the PSVR for being the soul VR on that console alone and it's alot cheaper then the other two, but I can tell you now it doesn't take an all powerful PC just to play VR for both Oculus Rift & HTC Vive. A GTX 970 (and up) can run Rift/HTV Vive VR games, so you really don't need a hefty Rig to do so.

#14 Posted by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

@dagubot: **shrugs** Here's a hug, dude. I hope you have a nice day. :)

#15 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4473 posts) -

I've decided to get a PSVR bundle this holiday season. Looking forward to playing RE7, Wipeout and Ace Combat. Possibly Astro Bot as well.

It is too bad Playstation Home went the way of the dodo. I used to spend time in my Bioshock apartment just soaking in the atmosphere. Alas, no more. This sort of thing may not come out again... But I would pay just to have a virtual home one more time.

#16 Posted by That_Old_Guy (665 posts) -

@MonsieurX: No not like the PS4.

There.

That’s been settled.

#17 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7041 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dagubot said:

Yeah Ok....Recloud

#18 Posted by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

@VERTIGO47: Dude, I don't know who you are or why you keep saying I'm recloud, but you need to stop. I've seen you do this in multiple threads at this point. I don't have an alt account and I never will. I am NOT that kind of person. If you keep this up I'm just going to go straight to the mods, because this is turning into harassment with you now coming into my threads and accusing me. Any mod can verify that I have only one account; and they can also ban you, and will do so if you keep this up.

Fair warning.

#19 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7041 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:

@VERTIGO47: Dude, I don't know who you are or why you keep saying I'm recloud, but you need to stop. I've seen you do this in multiple threads at this point. I don't have an alt account and I never will. I am NOT that kind of person. If you keep this up I'm just going to go straight to the mods, because this is turning into harassment with you now coming into my threads and accusing me. Any mod can verify that I have only one account; and they can also ban you, and will do so if you keep this up.

Fair warning.

LOL I must have struck a nerve. I've only referred to you twice, recently and one with you and Kingtito going at it a way months back. Check out my post history. And I don't come in here too often 24/7/365 days, so Try harder. It's called calling out on pathetic Trolls who have Alts.

It seems suspicious (I'm sure I'm not the only poster nor the first in here who's been suspicious of other Alt Accounts here) because I know damn well You, my memory serves, in the past, have referred to other posters as calling them "Sweetie" under both names: reduc_ab and recloud. Which is a complete dead give away for someone with Alts.

You're not kidding anyone dude (or dudette)

#20 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4473 posts) -

Man, I was hoping for some good clean conversation about virtual realities not somebody's alternate personalities... :(

#21 Edited by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

@VERTIGO47: This is so tiring. Look, I don't know why recloud talks like me. I really don't. It's like he's copying me and there is nothing I can do about it. It's frustrating. And yes, you have struck a nerve because I am so effing sick of being accused of having an alt account. Please, just leave me alone with that talk. I spoke with kingtito about this very thing, and he was a perfect gentleman about it and said that he believed me. For this I respect him. But you're just being rude. I already told you to go talk to the mods. It can be settled in a second with a quick IP check. Why don't you go do that if you're so concerned about me being me?

Again, please stop this sh_t. I'm asking kindly. I would never have an alt. I'm asking you to please respect me enough to believe me on this. I don't want to get you banned for harassment, dude. I just want you to stop.

#22 Edited by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

Yikes, with the PSVR being discounted and VR as a whole only grew 8% shows that VR is all but dead.

@reduc_ab_ said:

Guess VR's not dying like some on here say it is, huh? ;) Anyway, great news for VR fans. A growth of %8.2 YoY in the third quarter can only mean that VR's popularity is increasing. The PSVR's numbers for the third quarter are at 463,000; second place goes to Rift with 300,000; Vive was at 230,000. PSVR continues to lead the pack! But overall, good news for fans of all the major VR headsets.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/04/idc-vr-headset-market-grew-8-2-in-q3-2018-led-by-sony-psvr-and-oculus/

From the article:

"Sony’s PlayStation VR was the single best-selling headset in the quarter with shipments of 463,000 headsets, topping Rift’s 300,000 units and HTC’s sales of 230,000 Vives. The continued strength of PSVR — a tethered solution requiring a PlayStation 4 console — is particularly noteworthy given that standalone VR headsets have grown to 20.6 percent of the market."

Shipments (keyword) of 463,000 where does it say sold 463,000 units???

Or does shipped mean sold now, hard to keep up with cows on SW.

#23 Posted by Shewgenja (20810 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: The tallking heads at major publishers are their own worst enemies. Something new comes along and they want it to be the next Beanie Babies or Kardashians. It never fails. They roll with hype until their wild fantasies fall short and then the haterass dickhheads swarm in.

Meanwhile, VR is in a healthy groove. The tech is getting better and so are games. I'm still a happy early adopter. VR still offers a bounty of lovely gaming. Flat earth gamers can miss me with their 1491 nonsense..

#24 Edited by UItravioIence (1100 posts) -

Great to see psvr doing so good!

#25 Edited by deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03 (6005 posts) -

@uitravioience: It really is great to see. PSVR needed to do well for Sony to go ahead with PSVR 2, which at this point should definitely be happening.

#26 Posted by Sushiglutton (6967 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

Will Sony release an updated VR version? Will they drop support for early adopters?

Yes and yes? Ps5 will be able to power a much better headset presumably. It makes sense to release an updated version. And it would be kind of stupid to hold it back by the original Ps4.

Interesting to see how sony plays it, how hard they will market vr etc. I guess they will be pretty careful after what happened to MS and Kinect. But 2020 could be an exciting year for VR.

#27 Posted by MonsieurX (38364 posts) -

@that_old_guy said:

@MonsieurX: No not like the PS4.

There.

That’s been settled.

GoW and RDR2 are AAA

Spiderman is AA

And a bunch of indies the rest of the year

#28 Posted by SecretPolice (34151 posts) -

Nuttin but a big fat dud. lol :P

#29 Posted by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Yikes, with the PSVR being discounted and VR as a whole only grew 8% shows that VR is all but dead.

@reduc_ab_ said:

From the article:

Shipments (keyword) of 463,000 where does it say sold 463,000 units???

Or does shipped mean sold now, hard to keep up with cows on SW.

These aren't real numbers, just estimates. But even if they were, 8.2% growth would be fine as every market grows this slow at the start.

#30 Edited by FLOPPAGE_50 (4461 posts) -

8 percent even after the massive discounts and bundles?

Lmao its dead, it wont take off

500k is extremely low with the amount of ps4s out there

But keep grasping them straws op, you must need constantly reassurance

#31 Edited by WhatAFailure (161 posts) -

VR is dying any day now guys! Since 2013 they said so!

And Sony PSVR was gonna flop and sell worse than PC VR, right guys?

#PSVR is the best-selling #VR headset so far this year

This is good for all VR headsets as they all share the rewards in the long run when it comes to this medium. This is bad for System Wars Hermits, Sheep and Lemmings, because they don't know what the hell they're talking about, but they sure do keep talking.

#32 Edited by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

8 percent even after the massive discounts and bundles?

Lmao its dead, it wont take off

500k is extremely low with the amount of ps4s out there

But keep grasping them straws op, you must need constantly reassurance

Smartphone growth plateaued for many years until they exploded. This doesn't mean anything, especially since we're still in generation 1, just like being back in the ATARI days of gaming. If you look at the AR estimates, only 23000 consumer AR headsets were sold this year. Does that mean AR is dead too? Clearly it means both mediums are still in their early days.

#33 Posted by kuu2 (10934 posts) -

8.2% yoy growth for a new sector is terrible.

#34 Posted by Archangel3371 (26427 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Oh man. That gif always cracks me up. 😂

#35 Posted by SecretPolice (34151 posts) -

@Archangel3371:

Same here man, just watched and chuckled again. :)

#36 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10042 posts) -

@davillain-: "PSVR is the cheapest VR you can get"... The Xbox One is also the cheapest console and that doesn't seem like much of an advantage 😂... It should be though, the PSVR is a cheaper(lower specs) headset. But seems to be getting more exclusives lately.

#37 Posted by dzimm (5066 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

I don't think VR will ever die, but I don't expect it will ever be anything more than a niche market in a niche market.

#38 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10042 posts) -

@VERTIGO47: reduc_ab_ is a female, recloud a male. She posts all the time in VR threads... Recloud is more than likely one of the other banned accounts you don't see anymore.

#39 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10042 posts) -

@reduc_ab_: "It really is great to see. PSVR needed to do well for Sony to go ahead with PSVR 2, which at this point should definitely be happening."

I sure hope so and can definitely see it happening. Love my PSVR but there's obvious improvements that can be made. Looking forward to PS5 and PSVR 2.

#40 Posted by Macutchi (6389 posts) -
@VERTIGO47 said:

You, my memory serves, in the past, have referred to other posters as calling them "Sweetie" under both names: reduc_ab and recloud. Which is a complete dead give away for someone with Alts.

watertight evidence

#41 Posted by locopatho (23566 posts) -

Still a very small niche, we're talking what, 4 or 5% of PS4 owners with VR?

#42 Posted by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@dzimm said:
@i_p_daily said:

I don't think VR will ever die, but I don't expect it will ever be anything more than a niche market in a niche market.

It's a computing platform that eventually merges with AR. There's really no possible outcome but it being huge.

#43 Posted by dzimm (5066 posts) -

@blueberry_bandit said:
@dzimm said:
@i_p_daily said:

It's a computing platform that eventually merges with AR. There's really no possible outcome but it being huge.

The general public is about as interested in VR as they were in 3D televisions. It will be a niche product prized by technophiles but ignored by everybody else.

#44 Edited by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@dzimm said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@dzimm said:
@i_p_daily said:

The general public is about as interested in VR as they were in 3D televisions. It will be a niche product prized by technophiles but ignored by everybody else.

The general public didn't have interest in a smartphone until the late 2000s. Before then few people even knew what a smartphone was. VR is too useful for the everyday person to be niche. It just has a lot of barriers to get past on the tech side and will include AR features too to increase it's appeal even more.

As Michael Abrash from Oculus puts it: “Imagine a VR headset that’s a sleek, stylish, lightweight visor with a 200 degree field of view, retinal resolution, high dynamic range and proper depth of focus, with audio that’s so real you can’t believe it’s computer generated, that lets you mix real and virtual freely, that lets you meet, share and collaborate with people regardless of distance and that lets you use your hands to interact with the virtual world. If that existed, we’d be playing, working and connecting in it every day.

And he is right.

#45 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

@blueberry_bandit said:
@dzimm said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@dzimm said:
@i_p_daily said:

The general public didn't have interest in a smartphone until the late 2000s. Before then few people even knew what a smartphone was. VR is too useful for the everyday person to be niche. It just has a lot of barriers to get past on the tech side and will include AR features too to increase it's appeal even more.

As Michael Abrash from Oculus puts it: “Imagine a VR headset that’s a sleek, stylish, lightweight visor with a 200 degree field of view, retinal resolution, high dynamic range and proper depth of focus, with audio that’s so real you can’t believe it’s computer generated, that lets you mix real and virtual freely, that lets you meet, share and collaborate with people regardless of distance and that lets you use your hands to interact with the virtual world. If that existed, we’d be playing, working and connecting in it every day.

And he is right.

Someone should tell Michael very few people give a shit about VR, except for people like you blueberry who eat this up.

The PSVR (best selling VR) has been heavily discounted and still sells poorly. Its a fad/gimmick for gaming, its best used in other fields like the medical field where it can be used as an education tool.

#46 Edited by Shewgenja (20810 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Someone should tell Michael very few people give a shit about VR, except for people like you blueberry who eat this up.

The PSVR (best selling VR) has been heavily discounted and still sells poorly. Its a fad/gimmick for gaming, its best used in other fields like the medical field where it can be used as an education tool.

I'm sorry, did the XBox grow its marketshare a whole 8% this year? You seem to know things about people seem to want. Tell me more.

#47 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3252 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

I'm actually curious about what would happen with the existing PSVR. Resolution isn't great as it is, but I'm curious if that's the headset or the power of the PS4; i.e., would the PSVR perform at higher resolutions with a more powerful console.

#48 Edited by Shewgenja (20810 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@Planeforger said:

I'm actually curious about what would happen with the existing PSVR. Resolution isn't great as it is, but I'm curious if that's the headset or the power of the PS4; i.e., would the PSVR perform at higher resolutions with a more powerful console.

Can only perform as good as your display. Next-gen PSVR should also have the new eye-tracking tech which will go a very long way towards fixing the issue with people getting motion sick. We should all hope for a complete hardware refresh in that regard. The tech is moving fast.

#49 Edited by KBFloYd (21054 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@Planeforger said:

PSVR will be a paper weight after PS5 launches. This is why pretty much 95% of PS4 owners didnt buy it.

nothing but a short time fad.

IF...and i mean IF...PS5 has VR you will have to buy a completetly new headset.

then you can sell the one you have at half price on ebay to a collector.

#50 Edited by Blueberry_Bandit (860 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@dzimm said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

And he is right.

You're using this in the context of now. Flip the book back 15 years ago and very few people cared about smartphones. Flip the book back 40 years and few people cared about PCs or consoles. There comes a point where a technology is either going to make it or not. That point hasn't occured for VR because the hardware is where PCs were in the 70s, although advancements are much faster.

There may be few people on this planet who know about the state of VR's future more than Michael, as he is chief scientist at Oculus, and they have the biggest lab for VR and AR in the world. He knows better than you, me, or anyone here.

PSVR is selling roughly where Sony were expecting for a 1st generation product.

It's not a gimmick because it adds tremendous gain to gaming and just works.