VOTE: Best First Person Shooter Last gen! CLOSED RESULTS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@the_bi99man said:

Yeah, Infinite was a bit of a letdown, but not enough for me not to love it. Love the atmosphere and story, and I didn't think the actual mechanics were as bad as lots of people seem to think. I got tons of enjoyment out of the skyline combat, and the vigor combos. The last time I tried to replay it, I did get bored and stop like halfway through, but that was an attempt at a 4th replay. Most single player campaign games would get boring by then. I did enjoy it thoroughly three times.

And yeah, I figured I'd call Bioshock 1 my favorite shooter, kind of by default, as it's my favorite game of the last gen. If I were to re-order my list, based entirely on the games' mechanical merits as shooters... All three Bioshocks would probably be knocked off completely, FEAR would be MUCH higher, as would Far Cry 3, and Crysis 2 and Counterstrike: Global Offensive probably would have made it.

Someone who likes Crysis 2? When I was a PC only gamer I got blasted for thinking it was the best in the series. I did not enjoy the first at all.

Hahaha. That sounds about right. I still think the first is far and away the best, if for no other reason than it being so much more open, plus I found the story far more interesting than in 2. But as for Crysis 2... it got shit on by PC gamers because many of us were extremely disappointed in the new direction of the game (smaller levels, more linear, stripped down suit functions, "cinematic" presentation), which was obviously targeted at the COD crowd, but I still think it's an incredible game, judged on its own merits. With Crysis 2, they wanted to make a more typical kind of modern/futuristic military style shooter, like a Battlefield or Call of Duty single player campaign, and as far as I'm concerned, they absolutely crushed that goal. It might not be as open, large and sandbox-ish as the original, but Crysis 2 is sure as hell more ambitious, interesting and unique than just about every other copy/paste military shooter of the last gen.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

UGH, such a tough choice, KZ2 was my first FPS and it's multiplayer is great but SF does it better. Borderlands 2 I just got into thanks to plus and I can't put the game down at all,...so glad I could censor the gore. But I think I'll give this one to MAG shame on you if you played that game without a mic.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@millerlight89 said:

@the_bi99man said:

Yeah, Infinite was a bit of a letdown, but not enough for me not to love it. Love the atmosphere and story, and I didn't think the actual mechanics were as bad as lots of people seem to think. I got tons of enjoyment out of the skyline combat, and the vigor combos. The last time I tried to replay it, I did get bored and stop like halfway through, but that was an attempt at a 4th replay. Most single player campaign games would get boring by then. I did enjoy it thoroughly three times.

And yeah, I figured I'd call Bioshock 1 my favorite shooter, kind of by default, as it's my favorite game of the last gen. If I were to re-order my list, based entirely on the games' mechanical merits as shooters... All three Bioshocks would probably be knocked off completely, FEAR would be MUCH higher, as would Far Cry 3, and Crysis 2 and Counterstrike: Global Offensive probably would have made it.

Someone who likes Crysis 2? When I was a PC only gamer I got blasted for thinking it was the best in the series. I did not enjoy the first at all.

Hahaha. That sounds about right. I still think the first is far and away the best, if for no other reason than it being so much more open, plus I found the story far more interesting than in 2. But as for Crysis 2... it got shit on by PC gamers because many of us were extremely disappointed in the new direction of the game (smaller levels, more linear, stripped down suit functions, "cinematic" presentation), which was obviously targeted at the COD crowd, but I still think it's an incredible game, judged on its own merits. With Crysis 2, they wanted to make a more typical kind of modern/futuristic military style shooter, like a Battlefield or Call of Duty single player campaign, and as far as I'm concerned, they absolutely crushed that goal. It might not be as open, large and sandbox-ish as the original, but Crysis 2 is sure as hell more ambitious, interesting and unique than just about every other copy/paste military shooter of the last gen.

Perhaps I didn't approach the levels in fun and unique ways in the first. I really like the smaller, yet still open, levels in 2. Besides, I kind of had a feeling the elves were going to be smaller. It was going to be on the consoles, it was set in a city. I just had a feeling that they were going to have to tone the scale down some. That may not be the reason, but the point is I went into the game expecting smaller areas so I wasn't as letdown. The story was still not that great, but I found it better than the first. I really like the gunplay too. So much fun to be had. Oh yea, and I loved the Ceph in 2 better than the floating robots in the first. I will say one thing though, what in the hell was the point of having vehicles in the 2nd? YOu could barely do anything with them. I mean a damn pole, tire high, would stop you. I hated there was hardly no destruction in 2 also.

Then there is 3. IDK what the hell happened, but that game is probably my biggest letdown this year. IMO, it is easily the worst of the series. It's like the took the worst of 2, the worst 1 and made a game. I will say though, I really like some of the levels. For instance, the one where you destroy the AA guns towards the end. That was a nice mix of 2 and 1. Not as big as 1, but bigger than 2. A lot of cool ways to go about it too, and nice big open areas to drive.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

Perhaps I didn't approach the levels in fun and unique ways in the first. I really like the smaller, yet still open, levels in 2. Besides, I kind of had a feeling the elves were going to be smaller. It was going to be on the consoles, it was set in a city. I just had a feeling that they were going to have to tone the scale down some. That may not be the reason, but the point is I went into the game expecting smaller areas so I wasn't as letdown. The story was still not that great, but I found it better than the first. I really like the gunplay too. So much fun to be had. Oh yea, and I loved the Ceph in 2 better than the floating robots in the first. I will say one thing though, what in the hell was the point of having vehicles in the 2nd? YOu could barely do anything with them. I mean a damn pole, tire high, would stop you. I hated there was hardly no destruction in 2 also.

Then there is 3. IDK what the hell happened, but that game is probably my biggest letdown this year. IMO, it is easily the worst of the series. It's like the took the worst of 2, the worst 1 and made a game. I will say though, I really like some of the levels. For instance, the one where you destroy the AA guns towards the end. That was a nice mix of 2 and 1. Not as big as 1, but bigger than 2. A lot of cool ways to go about it too, and nice big open areas to drive.

Yeah, the lack of environmental destruction was one of the big letdowns in C2. And the vehicle sections were pretty much pointless. Unlike the vehicle sections of Crysis 1 (dat tank level.... so much awesome).

I was also pretty much expecting smaller levels from the city setting but, shortly before the game actually came out, I had this fantasy that the city levels would be just as big as the jungle levels of C1, involving climbing through destroyed buildings, and strength-jumping from rooftop to rooftop, in massive, open city blocks. I figured that was very unlikely, but damn it would have been sweet.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

1 Killzone 2

2 Mag

3 Left 4 Dead

4 Tribes Ascend

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 millerlight89

@the_bi99man said:

@millerlight89 said:

Yeah, the lack of environmental destruction was one of the big letdowns in C2. And the vehicle sections were pretty much pointless. Unlike the vehicle sections of Crysis 1 (dat tank level.... so much awesome).

I was also pretty much expecting smaller levels from the city setting but, shortly before the game actually came out, I had this fantasy that the city levels would be just as big as the jungle levels of C1, involving climbing through destroyed buildings, and strength-jumping from rooftop to rooftop, in massive, open city blocks. I figured that was very unlikely, but damn it would have been sweet.

Maybe we will see something like that this gen. Not sure if I want another Crysis though. Crytek is kind of...well ISK what the hell is wrong with them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

10- metro 2033

9-kz3

8-metro ll

7-cod4

6-halo 4

5-halo reach

4-kz2

3-bioshock

2-l4d

1-halo 3

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Half Life 2

COD 4

Killzone 2

Far Cry 3

L4D 2

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 millerlight89

@blamix99 said:

Half Life 2

COD 4

Killzone 2

Far Cry 3

L4D 2

I think hl2 is last gen. Well ps2 era gen.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@blamix99 said:

Half Life 2

COD 4

Killzone 2

Far Cry 3

L4D 2

yeahh i noticed just after i posted, oh well.. thanks though

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#61 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

1. Call of Duty 4

2. Duke Nukem Forever

3. Call of Duty Black Ops

4. Wolfenstein

5. Battlefield BC2

6. Battlefield 3

7. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

8. Fear 3

9. Halo Reach

10. Call of Duty World at War

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@millerlight89 said:

@the_bi99man said:

I might have enjoyed Crysis 2 more if it hadn't been a sequel to Crysis

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 millerlight89

@blamix99 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@blamix99 said:

Half Life 2

COD 4

Killzone 2

Far Cry 3

L4D 2

yeahh i noticed just after i posted, oh well.. thanks though

Still a great game.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#64 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Halo 3

Halo reach

COD 2

COD MW

Left 4 dead

Killzone 3 multiplayer

Far cry 3

The darkness

Crysis

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

1. COD4MW

2. Far Cry 3

3. Bioshock

4. Fear 2

5. Call of Duty Black Ops

6. Killzone 2

7. Metro Last Light

Does Half Life 2 Episode 2 count? That was 2007. Episode 1 was out after the 360 too.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
  1. Left 4 Dead 2
  2. Team Fortress 2
  3. Bioshock Inginite
  4. Portal 2 (Does it count?)
  5. Half-Life 2 : Episode 2
  6. Battlefield 3
  7. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  8. Deus Ex Human Revolution
  9. Call of Duty 2
  10. Duke Nukem Forever
XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Killzone 2

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

In no particular order

Killzone 2

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Bioshock

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

F.E.A.R.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@lostrib said:

Dammit, Glitchspot ate my post

1. COD 4

L4D2

BF3

BC2

TF2

Crysis/Warhead

Portal

Borderlands

HL2

FEAR

HL2 is 2004, change your list.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

How can Halo 3 lead when Bioshock was only 10x better?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@silversix_ said:

How can Halo 3 lead when Bioshock was only 10x better?

lol Bioshock sucked

such shitty gameplay.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jakandsigz

@Nanomage said:

1-Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl

2-Crysis 1

3-Half Life 2 ep1/2

4-Stalker call of prypiat

5-KIlling Floor

6-Halo ODST

7-Mass Effect 2

You need to change number 3, they are 3 different games.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jakandsigz

@Szminsky said:

Killzone 2

Rage

Deus ex

HL 2

Crysis (1)

HL2 is 2004 change your list.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#74 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

halo 3 is my pick! it held my attention. for over 2 years

darkkillerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By darkkillerr
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

1.halo3

2.tf2

3.halo reach

4 left 4 dead 2

5 bioshock infinite

6 bioshock 1

7 battlefield bad company 2

8 cod4

9 battlefield 3

10 borderland 1

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Only 2 from that list impressed me...

Borderlands 2

and

Left for dead

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jakandsigz

@SolidTy said:

Hmmm...

1. Killzone 2
  2. Bioshock
  3. COD4: Modern Warfare 1
  4. Left 4 Dead 1
  5. Halo Reach
  6. Resistance 3
  7. Borderlands
  8. Half Life 2
  9. Resistance FOM
  10. Metroid Prime 3

Tough list as I had a list of 20 I narrowed down, and I'm certain I'm forgetting something. I enjoyed COD2, Deus Ex, Battlefield Bad Company, BF3, Halo3, Killzone 3, and various others I had to cut. I would have put in Portal and Portal 2, but I wasn't sure if they qualified as "FPS".

HL2 is 2004 change your list.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#78  Edited By Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

1. Resistance 2

2. Condemned 2: Bloodshot

3. Battlefield 3

4. Bioshock

5. Singularity

6. Call of Duty: Black Ops

7. Halo 3

8. Borderlands 2

9. Resistance 3

10. Bioshock 2

And yes, Bioshock 2 is better than Infinite.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jakandsigz

@Arach666 said:

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

2. Crysis

3. Killing Floor

4. Half LIfe 2 episodes

5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

6. Black Mesa

7. F.E.A.R.

8. RAGE

9. Tribes Ascend

10.Hard Reset

Since you said 2005/2013 I guess I could´ve included Battlefield 2 and SWAT 4 since both came out in 05 but it was before the 360 launched so I just left them out.

so...

HL episodes is not a game

Black mesa was decided not to count.

even if, HL episodes is not a game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lostrib

@Jakandsigz: how are they not a game?

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

@Jakandsigz: I refuse

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Jakandsigz:

1. Halo 3

2. Borderlands

3. Bioshock

4. Halo Reach

5. CoD4: MW

6. Portal 2

7. Dead Space

8. Killzone 2

9. Resistance 2

10. Borderlands 2

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Master_ShakeXXX

@blackace:

Aw come on bro. No way is Borderlands 1 better than Borderlands 2. Just no way.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jakandsigz

@blamix99 said:

Half Life 2

COD 4

Killzone 2

Far Cry 3

L4D 2

HALF LIFE 2 IS 2004 CHANGE YOUR LIST!

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Jakandsigz

@lostrib said:

@Jakandsigz: how are they not a game?

You just asked me, how 2 different games..... are not one game...

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

No halflife2, no stalker.....

is this a casual only poll?

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Master_ShakeXXX

@Jankarcop:

I don't see any reason why stalker wouldn't count. It came out during last gen, right? TC seems like a moron anyways. Guy can't even count the votes properly. Totally wasted my time making that list.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

glad to see Killzone 2 getting its props. pretty much the only hardcore fps shooter last gen.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

no crysis, no stalker, no deusex3, no dishonered, no infinite, no TF2, no CSGO

the OP is not a gamer i beleive.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jakandsigz

@speedfog said:

1. Call of Duty 4

2. Duke Nukem Forever

3. Call of Duty Black Ops

4. Wolfenstein

5. Battlefield BC2

6. Battlefield 3

7. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

8. Fear 3

9. Halo Reach

10. Call of Duty World at War

Votes after this post have not yet been counted.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Jakandsigz

@Master_ShakeXXX said:

@Jankarcop:

I don't see any reason why stalker wouldn't count. It came out during last gen, right? TC seems like a moron anyways. Guy can't even count the votes properly. Totally wasted my time making that list.

OH MY! I am So sorry I have a life and don;t have 400% freetime like you two do to count every vote every other 1 minute at every second!

@Jankarcop said:

no crysis, no stalker, no deusex3, no dishonered, no infinite, no TF2, no CSGO

the OP is not a gamer i beleive.

OH LORD! I apologize for my lack of FREE TIME to INSTANTLY OUNT THE VOTES PER 1 SECOND!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 lostrib

@Jakandsigz: but you could count an episode as a best fps game right?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jakandsigz

@lostrib said:

@Jakandsigz: but you could count an episode as a best fps game right?

Half Life Two E2 is in the votes, not sure what you are saying.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By lostrib

Since HL2 was released on ps3 and 360 shouldn't it be counted?

greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 greensand24
Member since 2011 • 457 Posts

HALO 3.... And maybe.... Halo 3.... Oh yeah and definitely HaLo 3!!!!

Pure crack for me. It was ssssooooo good. It had the whole package SP and MP. No other game comes close.

Lol @ kz2.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

1.Stalker SOC

2.Stalker cop

3. Stalker CS

4. Metro 2033

5. Metro Last Light

6. Cryostasis

7. Far Cry 3

8. Crysis

9. Crysis Warhead

10. Serious Sam 3

ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

1: killzone 2
2: call of duty: mw2
3: far cry 3

Lol @ Halo 3

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

COD4 on the PC... wish people still played, I know i can still find games on the PC, but its not modes I want to play.

So for me I would say COD,Halo Reach, and Blackops 1, and Killing Floor.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Nanomage said:

1-Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl

2-Crysis 1

3-Half Life 2 ep1/2

4-Stalker call of prypiat

5-KIlling Floor

6-Halo ODST

7-Mass Effect 2

You need to change number 3, they are 3 different games.

Episode 2 then.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

1. Killzone 2

2. MAG

3. Call of Duty World at War