Vita owners, dont fret over Castlevania on 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Videodogg (12611 posts) -

Vita owners have access to a much better Castlevania game via the PS Store. The psp version of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles looks and plays beautifully on the Vitas display. The gameplay is pure traditional Castlevania with wonderful graphics and music. This new 3DS game Mirror of Fate is really more like a 2D God of War game, just kind of a dumbed down hack n slash game rather than adventure game. It is probably still a solid game, just not what Castlevania fans might be expecting. If you have a Vita and never played the PSP game, then you are in for a real treat.

#2 Posted by Samus3D (1953 posts) -
The demo was actually incredible :-P so was the Monster hunter 3U one
#3 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
I was excited to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP after playing Dawn of Sorrow, one of my favorite games of all time. Booted it up. One of the worst games I have ever played. I tried and tried to enjoy the utter sh!ttiness of it, but it is so bad. I want to unlock SoTN, but the game sucks so much.
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#4 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I was excited to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP after playing Dawn of Sorrow, one of my favorite games of all time. Booted it up. One of the worst games I have ever played. I tried and tried to enjoy the utter sh!ttiness of it, but it is so bad. I want to unlock SoTN, but the game sucks so much.

Haha is it because you expected it to be a metroidvania type of castlevania?
#5 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]I was excited to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP after playing Dawn of Sorrow, one of my favorite games of all time. Booted it up. One of the worst games I have ever played. I tried and tried to enjoy the utter sh!ttiness of it, but it is so bad. I want to unlock SoTN, but the game sucks so much.

I knew it wasn't going to be that, I didn't know that the character is a clunky drunk f*ck who moves at two miles an hour the entire time, or that the combat would comprise of the character only being able to whip directly to his left and right while enemies can move all over the screen. Jumping sucks. Voice acting sucks. Graphics are meh. The game was awful.
#6 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

I already own the game on my PSP, and I must say that IT'S TERRIFIC!...because Symphony of the Night is on it. >_>

The actual remake of Rondo of Blood? Meh. Not really a fan of the original version either though.

#7 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]I was excited to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP after playing Dawn of Sorrow, one of my favorite games of all time. Booted it up. One of the worst games I have ever played. I tried and tried to enjoy the utter sh!ttiness of it, but it is so bad. I want to unlock SoTN, but the game sucks so much.Blabadon

I knew it wasn't going to be that, I didn't know that the character is a clunky drunk f*ck who moves at two miles an hour the entire time, or that the combat would comprise of the character only being able to whip directly to his left and right while enemies can move all over the screen. Jumping sucks. Voice acting sucks. Graphics are meh. The game was awful.

have you played the NES games per chance? 

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
#8 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

Vita owners have access to a much better Castlevania game via the PS Store. The psp version of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles looks and plays beautifully on the Vitas display. The gameplay is pure traditional Castlevania with wonderful graphics and music. This new 3DS game Mirror of Fate is really more like a 2D God of War game, just kind of a dumbed down hack n slash game rather than adventure game. It is probably still a solid game, just not what Castlevania fans might be expecting. If you have a Vita and never played the PSP game, then you are in for a real treat.

Videodogg

The only thing worth doing on that game was unlocking SoTN TO PLAY THAT..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
#9 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]I was excited to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP after playing Dawn of Sorrow, one of my favorite games of all time. Booted it up. One of the worst games I have ever played. I tried and tried to enjoy the utter sh!ttiness of it, but it is so bad. I want to unlock SoTN, but the game sucks so much.Blabadon

It's fvcking hilarious too when there are way better traditional Castlevania games, such Super Castlevania on the SNES.

#10 Posted by whiskeystrike (12172 posts) -

You can just download Symphony of the Night onto your Vita though ^_^

#11 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

Oh, snap! Really? Thanks for the heads up, mang. 

#12 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

In general, I really couldn't touch the 3DS after getting Vita. The games can be better, but the 3DS hardware is so outdated.

#13 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

The demo for Mirror of Fate is so bad. I wasn't expecting much beforehand, but yet I was even more unimpress by the demo, mostly it runs poorly most of the time. I hope a new handheld metroidvania or such created by IGA will come soon.

#14 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
vita logic: better to have no games than to have potentially bad games!
#15 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

vita logic: better to have no games than to have potentially bad games!BrunoBRS

Vita owner: "We still got the hardware and two analog sticks atleast!" :cool:

3DS Owner: "DARN YOU!!!" :cry:

*starts wiping away tears with all his extra 3DS games* 

#16 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
F*ck that game. Just get SotN. Dracula X makes you play a sh*t game till you unlock that so skip that like a plague On an unrelated note, is the new 3ds castlvania metrovania in style? The demo definitely seemed like it was hinting that.
#17 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

F*ck that game. Just get SotN. Dracula X makes you play a sh*t game till you unlock that so skip that like a plague On an unrelated note, is the new 3ds castlvania metrovania in style? The demo definitely seemed like it was hinting that.IAmNot_fun

It has some elements, but the developers have said they weren't aiming for the metroidvania style.

#18 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]F*ck that game. Just get SotN. Dracula X makes you play a sh*t game till you unlock that so skip that like a plague On an unrelated note, is the new 3ds castlvania metrovania in style? The demo definitely seemed like it was hinting that.Wanderer5

It has some elements, but the developers have said they weren't aiming for the metroidvania style.

Then f*ck this game too.
#19 Posted by Darth-Samus (3995 posts) -

In general, I really couldn't touch the 3DS after getting Vita. The games can be better, but the 3DS hardware is so outdated.

lild1425

So you don't want fun and high quality games, just flashy hardware. No regard for the standards that make games GOOD.

Sigh....the spirit of gaming really is a dying breed. :(

#20 Posted by Shewgenja (18853 posts) -

Metroidvania is best Vania.

#21 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

Metroidvania is best Vania.

Shewgenja

Ehhhhh I don't know, Super Castlevania IV is pretty beast.

Now if only more 2d sidescrolling castlevania games actually bothered to borrow SCIV's mechanics and controls...

#23 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the best Castlevania ever.
#24 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

Darth-Samus

So you don't want fun and high quality games, just flashy hardware. No regard for the standards that make games GOOD.

I love when strangers apparently think they know me. Then again, it's my idiotic choice to get keep coming to System Wars. I also never said that, but thanks for inferring.

The 3DS is the same old song and dance. Mario with a few new IPs. It's a slightly better DS with overrated 3D. The only game I've thoroughly enjoyed so far is Pushmo.

With this logic, I wouldn't even own a handheld or even a console and just have a PC. It's to the point where my freaking cellphone has more impressive hardware than the 3DS.

I've noticed/observed that most that have 3DS and Vita claim that the library gap isn't as night and day as 3DS gamers claim it is.

P.S. That bolded statement is what Nintendo has been saying for a few years now and it is becoming irritating. You don't need to create outrageously powerful hardware, just keep up with the times instead of releasing sub-par hardware and adding mediocre gimmicks and say that it is innovation.

#25 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
The game has always looked like garbage. I have a 3ds and i wont even be getting it.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#26 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5921 posts) -

Videodogg
Really? That sucks... it was one of the main reasons I picked up a 3ds for CV... (Although I would of rather head a true SOTN sequel on the vita).... Well if Mirrors of fate is like last years console CV game than forget it. I will not buy another CV game unless it's metroidvania, SOTN style... eVer.... I love that rpg game style and none of the GBA or DS games ever topped SOTN! At least I got 4 good games out of my 3ds - Fire Emblem, Eterian Odyessy 4, Tales of the Abyss and OOT.... Everything else, bleh... (unless DQVII gets localized) Vita has a large library of great games, I just wish it would have more tradtional jrpgs and rpgs like the psp had..or hell give me some elder scrolls style or a rogue like on that beautiful screen!
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#27 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5921 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

lild1425

I love when strangers apparently think they know me. Then again, it's my idiotic choice to get keep coming to System Wars. I also never said that, but thanks for inferring.

The 3DS is the same old song and dance. Mario with a few new IPs. It's a slightly better DS with overrated 3D. The only game I've thoroughly enjoyed so far is Pushmo.

With this logic, I wouldn't even own a handheld or even a console and just have a PC. It's to the point where my freaking cellphone has more impressive hardware than the 3DS.

I've noticed/observed that most that have 3DS and Vita claim that the library gap isn't as night and day as 3DS gamers claim it is.

P.S. That bolded statement is what Nintendo has been saying for a few years now and it is becoming irritating. You don't need to create outrageously powerful hardware, just keep up with the times instead of releasing sub-par hardware and adding mediocre gimmicks and say that it is innovation.

I agree wholeheartedly, and as a VITA and 3DS owner;... i recgonize that both have some good games... both have their crap, and 3ds is loaded with way more shovelware and kiddie stuff.but to be expected from a nintendo handheld. Its not as bad as the dS was early on where searching for content that an adult would enjoy on the shelves was a chore. Vita doesn't have that problem in retail or download, but there are much more indie games than full on retail releases. And I would love some traditional rpgs and meaty long lasting games on it. It has so much power, its a shame more devs haven't made more stuff for it.

And yeah the gap between the two is almost non-existant, at least in the USA... japan may be different but I don't live there.

#28 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

I thought Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles was pretty good. :l Obviously Super Castlevania IV had better whipping mechanics but Dracula X was still alright. Plus the music was pretty beast.

I wish this Lords of Shadow crap would just stop though. It's just not good.

#29 Posted by funsohng (29841 posts) -

I thought Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles was pretty good. :l Obviously Super Castlevania IV had better whipping mechanics but Dracula X was still alright. Plus the music was pretty beast.

timmy00
Lord of Shadow was a better action game than Dynasty Warriors
#30 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

So I guess I'm the only one except for OP that thinks Rondo of Blood was the last great Classic Castlevania game huh?

I LOVE Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP. One of the first titles I downloaded for the Vita, Amazing game. Kinda one reason why I like Mirror of Fate Demo on the 3DS.

It's a great mix between that game and Lords of Shadow.

#31 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

funsohng

Lord of Shadow was a better action game than Dynasty Warriors

Pleb. >.>

#32 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (16891 posts) -

I don't understand the hate of classic Castlevania gameplay? I enjoyed Super Castlevania more than Syphony of the Night (raises flame shield)

#33 Posted by Ghost120x (5226 posts) -
Rondo of blood was awesome people and the game had sotn, so what's not to love?
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#34 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (24475 posts) -
Loved that demo on 3DS.
#35 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -
There was never anything to fret about. The game never looked particularly good.
#36 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
Don't fret because Mirror of Fate is garbage.
#37 Posted by Jack-Burton (2435 posts) -
Don't fret over Castlevania, fret over the fact that the Vita is being abandoned
#38 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

Darth-Samus

I have fun and high quality games on vita. The games are just different than what 3ds offers. The spirit of gaming is expanding not dying.
#39 Posted by Newhopes (4756 posts) -

Vita owners like to forget 3DS also has access to Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

#40 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -
The vita plays games? I thought it was just an expensive PS 4 controller?
#41 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
The vita plays games? I thought it was just an expensive PS 4 controller?Shielder7
Isn't that what a portable consoles are for. Why would they release the controller before the system lol.
#42 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

p4s2p0

I have fun and high quality games on vita. The games are just different than what 3ds offers. The spirit of gaming is expanding not dying.

They were also inferring graphics=hardware, which is false. 

I'd rather have one decent screen than two small ones; one of which is mostly used as a map or inventory screen on the 3DS. Dual analogs, cross-buy/play, rear touch scrren that allows for easier level editing in games like Sound Shapes and LBP Vita; just overall better use of the touch screen; more intuitive home UI, Near better than Street Find; etc. etc.  Heck, I like Jetpack Joyride (an iOS port) on my Vita rather than on any other platform and that game isn't bells and whistles.

#43 Posted by AznbkdX (4176 posts) -

Played the demo, and I liked it. Had some button mash in it, and one part of backtracking that felt really awkward for its pacing though.

Never played a Castlevania game before aside from the very old first one. I've heard that this one isn't made the same way as the others though, so I wouldn't know if its the definitive experience or not for it. I'm thinking the latter though overall considering some of the responses to the demo.

#44 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -

Tried playing the demo but I could get into it. The framerate was too horrible.

#45 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1439 posts) -

I got the game a few hours ago, and I've been playing it since. It seems to be a fun, accomplished action game. What exactly is the problem?

#46 Posted by Ghost120x (5226 posts) -
Aside from the framerate the demo was really good. Picking it up tomorrow.
#47 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"] Haha is it because you expected it to be a metroidvania type of castlevania?DJ-Lafleur

Never played a NES game before.
#48 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] I knew it wasn't going to be that, I didn't know that the character is a clunky drunk f*ck who moves at two miles an hour the entire time, or that the combat would comprise of the character only being able to whip directly to his left and right while enemies can move all over the screen. Jumping sucks. Voice acting sucks. Graphics are meh. The game was awful. Blabadon

The NES games share those same controls, along with some other bullsh*t like enemies always conveniently hitting you in the direction of holes and stairs where you're pretty much easy target practice for enemies.

And in castlevania II: Simon's Quest's case, that game is just bad.

#49 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

DJ-Lafleur

The NES games share those same controls, along with some other bullsh*t like enemies always conveniently hitting you in the direction of holes and stairs where you're pretty much easy target practice for enemies.

And in castlevania II: Simon's Quest's case, that game is just bad.

Well thank you for the forewarning. I'm just sticking with the Metroidvania games now. Two days ago I tried Aria of Sorrow again but I'm so disoriented on what to do or where to go since it's been so long since I last replayed that game. Might just move on to Portrait of Ruin instead.