Vita only 1.8 million sold: 3rd parties not interested unless it sells better

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 phonemug
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Simply dreadful sales

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27104-only-18-million-ps-vita-sold

Analysts we spoke to dont see any signs of help coming for the Vita in the short term in the way of an avalanche of software coming for the Vita. As one analyst told us, It is going to take the sales of more units to really get publishers and developers engaged in the development of more titles, and that isnt going to happen without the sales of more units.

A director at a major software studio told us, We are watching the sales of the Vita and while we would like to develop titles for it, Sony just has not sold enough of them yet for us to be sure that we could recoup our development costs. We continue to monitor the sales, and if sales continue to climb, then we would be open to releasing our titles for the Vita, as well, but it would have to make financial sense.?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
This was a predictable result for everyone except Sony and their most dedicated supporters. Vita has some games I really want to play but the system is too expensive, the software is too expensive, and there are too many hidden costs involved (proprietary memory, proprietary data connection, charging me to play PSP games I already bought).
phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 phonemug

Well essentially it's being left to die because it's caught in a vicious cycle. It won't sell if it doesn't get a lot of huge third party games, but third parties will never make those games and take those risks on a platform that hasn't sold anything.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Do you ever search for threads that already exist? Or do you just assume they don't count unless you made them? Just wondered..........
phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 phonemug

Do you ever search for threads that already exist? Or do you just assume they don't count unless you made them? Just wondered..........BibiMaghoo
Link to other thread on this article or gtfo.

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 groverslanding
Member since 2012 • 952 Posts

Vita is the biggest unmitigated disaster in gaming since the Virtual Boy.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BibiMaghoo

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Do you ever search for threads that already exist? Or do you just assume they don't count unless you made them? Just wondered..........phonemug

There are at least 2 other threads on the sales figure. The 'article' is specualation with no source, ie, meaningless. So the only point in this thread is the sales figures....which have been 'threaded' several times..... But I'll gtfo anyway, as you have nothing to contribute. Ever.
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 groverslanding

[QUOTE="phonemug"]

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Do you ever search for threads that already exist? Or do you just assume they don't count unless you made them? Just wondered..........BibiMaghoo

There are at least 2 other threads on the sales figure. The 'article' is specualation with no source, ie, meaningless. So the only point in this thread is the sales figures....which have been 'threaded' several times..... But I'll gtfo anyway, as you have nothing to contribute. Ever.

I'll take Fudzillas's word on what developers have told them behind closed doors over your nonsense fanboy whimpering any day. Fudzilla is legit.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I really want a Vita but until its price comes down I'll be getting a 3DS first.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Suck's because the vita look's cool and i want one but it really needs either a price drop or lower costing memory cards and more games.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16471 Posts

Mediocre library and a expensive devise keep me away from Vita, however, i'm sure is a matter of time before sales go up, personally i don't think i'll ever get one, but like i said, is way too early to declare it death.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
So do you spend all day refreshing google search for Vita so you can find these crazy never heard of websites that are publishing a Vita story?
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 groverslanding

haha

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

I can prob narrow down what studio that comment came from. If its made up though (the odds are just as good) than it is just sensationlism and bad reporting.

Forget the sites reputation, why would the person saying that want to hide his/her id when several studious have flat out gone out and said similar things of 3DS, VITA and, Wii U?

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Problems with Vita:

1) Its too expensive, games, memory cards, the system itself.

2) Its not versatile enough, people have smartphones and tablets that do everything the Vita does.

3) People dont want 'near console' quality games on a handheld. Or at least not enough people to make the product worthwhile

Sony dropped the ball with their reccomendations. There just isnt room in the market.

The DS is simple, cheaper, offers games better suited to handhelds, the 3DS continues the legacy with extra features that differentiates it from tablets and phones.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wakefulness

Problems with Vita:

2) Its not versatile enough, people have smartphones and tablets that do everything the Vita does.

3) People dont want 'near console' quality games on a handheld. Or at least not enough people to make the product worthwhile

Sony dropped the ball with their reccomendations. There just isnt room in the market.

The DS is simple, cheaper, offers games better suited to handhelds, the 3DS continues the legacy with extra features that differentiates it from tablets and phones.

D1zzyCriminal

Kind of silly saying people do not want a VITA and people should replace it with a smartphone and tablet when the 3DS shares it same reputation of being a device primarly used for gaming. Also, I have only seen Nintendo supporters make the arguement is 'almost but not quite console' which is really ridiculous considering the majority of people I know who have made that statement do not hae any interest in a VITA (do not own one or know enough about the games it has, etc).

The whole idea of a "legacy" lifting up something is kind of silly. I mean, the 3DS looks like DS (with the exception of a PSP-like analog stick), if that's what you mean.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#17 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
With bad news piling on bad news, I wonder if Sony will be around for the next generation. And that's unfortunate -- after getting a PS3 in 2009 (after my 360 died), I've been really impressed with the quality of the games that the company and its 2d-party studios produce.
Nuck81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Nuck81
Member since 2005 • 7973 Posts

haha

groverslanding
That reminds me of the old PSP gets you girls thread....
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wakefulness

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]

haha

Nuck81

That reminds me of the old PSP gets you girls thread....

I know which one you mean. Both these things really do not belong on the internet (or as synapses on my mind, for that matter).

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10068 Posts
Vita has to have a strong E3 and Im pretty sure Sony knows that. We'll probably see more games from SCE and third party developer, although most will probably be from SCE. Im also fairly certain they'll be a price cut because Samsung is able to create larger/less expense OLED screens (Galaxy Note, Galaxy S 3 and Vita use large Samsung OLED screens) and the Vita's CPU/GPU is entering the smartphone market this year. I could Vita geting a price cut to $199 and a few bundles announced.
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 groverslanding

So hows it supposed to sell better if third parties dont make games to help it sell better?

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

Problems with Vita:

D1zzyCriminal
Vita is expensive but I want high end hardware and a near console like experience on portable. Psp showed there are plenty with that interest. I haven't seen a phone game that looks and plays like psp/vita have. So phones don't meet my gaming needs.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9892 Posts

1.8 million since launch is awful. I expect sales to go down from here on out without the launch numbers to boost those initial sales. Massive price cut is necessary in order to get people to buy the Vita. 140-150 bucks is what they should charge.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10068 Posts

So hows it supposed to sell better if third parties dont make games to help it sell better?

groverslanding
They''ll always be a certain amount of 3rd party support but they are much less likely to develop more games. exclusives or ports on Vita. Sony can internally develop games to pick up the slack until the sales reach something worth investing. The same exact thing happened to the PS3. Not to mention some developers like Activision could release a game like COD on Vita can not care because COD can push systems.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10626 Posts

Death of Vita confirmed?

Jk, but it'll be genuinely interesting to see how Sony plays this off at E3.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

I love these threads. E3 is like 3 weeks away and people are already bringing in the doom and gloom threads. Why don't we wait and see what Sony has in store for us?

While I don't disregard what the article states I just wonder why we're seeing Fifa, MLB, Rayman, Mortal Kombat, MGS among others on the Vita and yet others refuse to touch it? If Rayman Legend is planned for the Vita they must sell some units.

I'm looking forward to future sale charts on the software, not as a fanboy, but to see if games actually do sell on the console (despite the horrible hardware sales).

Avatar image for KillerCannonade
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KillerCannonade
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Problems with Vita:

D1zzyCriminal
The hypocrisy and irony and everything else on this "System Wars" amazes me. The 3DS differentiates themselves from tablets and smart phones just as much as the Vita. By almost none. The only reason 3DS is working is because it's cheap.Same price as before, the 3DS would be where the Vita is or worse.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

I love these threads. E3 is like 3 weeks away and people are already bringing in the doom and gloom threads. Why don't we wait and see what Sony has in store for us?

While I don't disregard what the article states I just wonder why we're seeing Fifa, MLB, Rayman, Mortal Kombat, MGS among others on the Vita and yet others refuse to touch it? If Rayman Legend is planned for the Vita they must sell some units.

I'm looking forward to future sale charts on the software, not as a fanboy, but to see if games actually do sell on the console (despite the horrible hardware sales).

danish-death
Vita was always dead on arrival. They could announce COD, GT6 and Halo for it tomorrow and it'd still be a dead platform. It's just not what people want to buy any more.
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 groverslanding

danish-death

Those titles were all deep into development at Vita's launch. Since then and it's sales disaster new announcements from third parties have been slim to none.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danish-death
[QUOTE="danish-death"]

Ninja-Hippo
Vita was always dead on arrival. They could announce COD, GT6 and Halo for it tomorrow and it'd still be a dead platform. It's just not what people want to buy any more.

I don't think so, but it's impossible to say right now. I'd wait at the very least until E3 before judging it and if they don't shows some unique games, more third party support and a price drop I'd start to worry.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danish-death

[QUOTE="danish-death"]

groverslanding

Those titles were all deep into development at Vita's launch. Since then and it's sales disaster new announcements from third parties have been slim to none.

You're probably right, E3 should be exciting though. It'll pretty much dictate the future of the Vita.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39275 Posts
Wondering why a)Phonemug always poss sony related bad news b)Grooverlanding only posts in phonemug's threads
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

last handheld I had was the GBA with Pokemon and Metroid games but I really want a Vita but the proprietary memory cards are so stupidly expensive! And the thing is that they are a necessity to be able to play most games and for the DD stuff, so what the heck was Sony thinking when they came up with the idea of proprietary cards? I mean, are they crazy? They killed their own system because they will never be able to drop the price of those cards enough to motivate people to buy a Vita because they are proprietary! Just look at the Xbox's HDD, still selling at $100....

Whoever designs the hardware for Sony is secretly plotting to sink the company if you ask me and now I fear for the PS4. First it was the PS3 with blu-ray at $600 and now the proprietary cards of the Vita; what will be next? With what will Sony come up next to wreck their own system again?

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Oh look, another Vita hate thread using obscure websites nobody cares about and speculation with no basis in fact, as well as an alternate account made to support op when everybody else is disproving him.

Great, this is what SW is now.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Another fanboy thread. BTW, all systems start at low sales.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BibiMaghoo
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Wondering why a)Phonemug always poss sony related bad news b)Grooverlanding only posts in phonemug's threads

Do you need to wonder? I don't think so.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 danish-death

last handheld I had was the GBA with Pokemon and Metroid games but I really want a Vita but the proprietary memory cards are so stupidly expensive! And the thing is that they are a necessity to be able to play most games and for the DD stuff, so what the heck was Sony thinking when they came up with the idea of proprietary cards? I mean, are they crazy? They killed their own system because they will never be able to drop the price of those cards enough to motivate people to buy a Vita because they are proprietary! Just look at the Xbox's HDD, still selling at $100....

Whoever designs the hardware for Sony is secretly plotting to sink the company if you ask me and now I fear for the PS4. First it was the PS3 with blu-ray at $600 and now the proprietary cards of the Vita; what will be next? With what will Sony come up next to wreck their own system again?

Gue1

Why not buy a used PSV? You can easily buy one hardly ever used with a game and memory card for less than what a new would cost. Or you can buy one from amazon (PSV + Mortal Kombat + 4GB memory card) for the same price as a regular PSV. Unless you're planning on buying a lot of games from PSN a 4GB memory card should be enough and if not it'll at least get you going.

Not buying a PS Vita because of the expensive memory cards is IMO a strange excuse.

And I have no idea where people have come to the conclusion that you need AT LEAST a 16GB memory card to even play (some people seriously consider the price of those cards when looking on how much money you have to drop for a PSV).

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Its just not what I want. I may get a 3DS sometime but even I doubt than now. I have a ipod touch and it for fills my gaming needs on the go. Even with my DS or GBA, I never really took them out of the house and played anywhere unless it was a vacation.
phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 phonemug

Oh look, another Vita hate thread using obscure websites nobody cares about and speculation with no basis in fact, as well as an alternate account made to support op when everybody else is disproving him.

Great, this is what SW is now.

SPYDER0416

Fudzilla is an obscure website nobody cares about? Noob alert.

The funniest part is how you act like its a surprise that third parties don't want to make games for a platform with dreadful sales.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15286 Posts

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"][QUOTE="phonemug"]Link to other thread on this article or gtfo.

groverslanding

I'll take Fudzillas's word on what developers have told them behind closed doors over your nonsense fanboy whimpering any day. Fudzilla is legit.

LMAO :lol:

So awesome :lol:

I cant stop laughing :lol:

phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 phonemug

Lets pretend it's a some kind of shock that developers don't want to make games for one of the worst selling new platforms in history.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25164 Posts
1.8 million is abysmal. Price drop imminent!!
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15286 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]I'll take Fudzillas's word on what developers have told them behind closed doors over your nonsense fanboy whimpering any day. Fudzilla is legit.

phonemug

Fudzilla is a sourcred site at Neogaf and one of the top sources for leaks on the web. It's hilarious how a few fanboys in here who have never heard of it are trying to dismiss it because it's name is funny.

Or that any site trying to get hits makes these sensationalistic titles to articles so fanboys link to their page every chance they get.......... Not questioning the site.........just questioning it because it comes from you :P Site just lost credibility just from you linking it :lol: Congrats Fudzilla :P
phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 phonemug

[QUOTE="phonemug"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

navyguy21

Fudzilla is a sourcred site at Neogaf and one of the top sources for leaks on the web. It's hilarious how a few fanboys in here who have never heard of it are trying to dismiss it because it's name is funny.

Or that any site trying to get hits makes these sensationalistic titles to articles so fanboys link to their page every chance they get.......... Not questioning the site.........just questioning it because it comes from you :P Site just lost credibility just from you linking it :lol: Congrats Fudzilla :P

Yes I must be completely off base. It's insane of me to believe sources saying that third parties are hesitant to make games for one of the worst selling platforms in history.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

seeing as how the PSP sold better than the DS at launch..It really shows how much the vita dropped compared to the PSP

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

seeing as how the PSP sold better than the DS at launch..It really shows how much the vita dropped compared to the PSP

HarlockJC

at the same time the PSP sold at a fairly consistent rate over time.Its still early in the lifespan for people to deem a product a failure in all honesty.

Inb4 cow lover,vita lover etc.

I dont own a PS vita or a PS3 now (PS3 died last week so im not bothering bout replacing it tbh).

phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 phonemug

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]

razgriz_101

at the same time the PSP sold at a fairly consistent rate over time.Its still early in the lifespan for people to deem a product a failure in all honesty.

I dont own a PS vita or a PS3 now (PS3 died last week so im not bothering bout replacing it tbh).

It is definitely a failure so far, and the problem with that, is now, more than ever, it needs to be garnering the support of third parties and retailers, not scaring them off.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]

phonemug

It is definitely a failure so far, and the problem with that, is now, more than ever, it needs to be garnering the support of third parties and retailers, not scaring them off.

2 million and its only been out roughly 2 months in ALL major territoires isnt bad at all, we've seen slower sales rates from gaming devices like the original xbox,the cube and its predecessor

It holds its own against the competition in certain areas and more than likely people/companies will play to such advantages,nothing can be deemed a failure in the gaming market until the day it is discontinued as a product in a premature manner like the dreamcast and the saturn.

phonemug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 phonemug

[QUOTE="phonemug"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

2 million and its only been out roughly 2 months in ALL major territoires isnt bad at all, we've seen slower sales rates from gaming devices like the original xbox,the cube and its predecessor

It holds its own against the competition in certain areas and more than likely people/companies will play to such advantages,nothing can be deemed a failure in the gaming market until the day it is discontinued as a product in a premature manner like the dreamcast and the saturn.

Actually it's 1.8 million and it was out in Japan and areas of Asia months before it came out stateside. It's selling slower than the Gamecube and the Dreamcast. It's one of the slowest selling major platforms in history.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="phonemug"]It is definitely a failure so far, and the problem with that, is now, more than ever, it needs to be garnering the support of third parties and retailers, not scaring them off.

phonemug

Actually it's 1.8 million and it was out in Japan and areas of Asia months before it came out stateside. It's selling slower than the Gamecube and the Dreamcast. It's one of the slowest selling major platforms in history.

the 3DO,the Neo geo and a couple others would love to say hi :)

honestly the cube sold around 22 million at the end of last gen and was sucessful to an extent in terms of games and being honest looking back was the strongest console last gen if you like your same room multiplayer and had some nifty games to boot.Who's to say the PS Vita is going to fail considering back in the day there was a hell of a load of hatred of the cube and Ninty still exist to this day.

Before you pull the sony is dying card, i'd honestly hope you read into the whole Ford motors situation a company that clawed back from basically the same situation as them.