Vita, 3DS, what?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by krycis (2835 posts) -

I figure there's probably some good opinion on this board to suggest which compact gaming system I should be interested in given the following:

I don't game on mobile platforms much, but when I do I like RPGs (both standard and tactical), I have a Gameboy Advance SP that I still have and have recently played games on--if it wasn't for the failing electronics that won't let me play on battery for very long. I know the 3DS has the new Bravely Default and a few other well-received RPGs, but is the Nintendo offering the better option for my above gaming choices? Or does the Vita shine and I just don't know it?

I do have a PS4, with Plus if that factors in at all.

Thanks for your assistance.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

PS Vita becomes a significantly more alluring proposition with PS+ than it already is, but...

The 3DS library is far and away better. It's a superior library, although it is a much more expensive system to game on all said and done (games cost more, less discounts and price drops, etc etc).

Honestly, I say go with 3DS for now, but make sure to pick Vita up later.

#3 Edited by jadjei (379 posts) -

I think this thread won't end well........ Anyway I agree with charizard's post.

#4 Posted by Seabas989 (13206 posts) -

3DS >>>>>>>> what? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vita

#5 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

I'm not into handhelds.. deep down I despise them, but that's a whole other subject.

Still though, I do have a 3DS and the few games I've played really do impress.

#6 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

Flip a coin.

#7 Edited by R4gn4r0k (27741 posts) -

Both are great if you ask me. But like charizard said, the 3DS may be cheaper at first, the games cost a lot more than they do on Vita. Because of that I already own way more games for Vita, while owning it for a shorter time than my 3DS.

Look into both handhelds library and see which games you prefer the most.

#8 Posted by krycis (2835 posts) -

I was hoping I'd get lucky and find the same type of handheld gamer to reply to say, "X or Y has better RPG and Tactics games". That's all I really want anwyay, I have like 5 games for my GBASP and I think the purchase well worth it. I have been digging into the reviews a bit, but GS used to let you sort by genre making the new site a bit less friendly for this sort of searching. Anyhoo...that you to all who have responded so far and to those yet to add their 2c!

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
#9 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (1483 posts) -

Whenever it comes to the 3DS v Vita, the 3DS is always the winner. Unless you buy one not to play games on lol.

#10 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

3DS>>>>Vita

#11 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

if you want to play the same old nintendo franchises including three million marios, zeldas, and luigis, go with 3ds. otherwise, you'll find that the Vita has a much better and more eclectic library than the 3ds.

#12 Edited by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

@krycis said:

I was hoping I'd get lucky and find the same type of handheld gamer to reply to say, "X or Y has better RPG and Tactics games". That's all I really want anwyay, I have like 5 games for my GBASP and I think the purchase well worth it. I have been digging into the reviews a bit, but GS used to let you sort by genre making the new site a bit less friendly for this sort of searching. Anyhoo...that you to all who have responded so far and to those yet to add their 2c!

The 3DS has better RPG and tactics games, if that is all you want- Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, Dream Team, Pokemon, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Crimson Shroud, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey, Devil Survivor, and so on.

Vita has some great ones too (including the grand daddy, Persona 4 Golden), but 3DS has a whole lot more great RPGs and tactical games (such as Fire Emblem Awakening).

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

@mrintro said:

if you want to play the same old nintendo franchises including three million marios, zeldas, and luigis, go with 3ds. otherwise, you'll find that the Vita has a much better and more eclectic library than the 3ds.

Way to reduce the 3DS library to something it is not, and to completely undermine how broad and diverse it is. Sometimes I doubt you even actually have a 3DS.

You used to be a reasonable poster. What the hell happened?

#14 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

also, 3ds games tend to be very casual (easy). a link between worlds was dead brain easy, dungeons were simple, everything laid out for you. the new pokemon is very easy, with the exception being if you like to play competitively. luigi's mansion was a breeze. fire emblem was ok if you're into those games. also, if people bring up SMT4 and Etrian, those are both dungeon crawlers which aren't for everyone.

the vita actually has a variety of games to play, and the handheld experience is much more next gen with emphasis on online play and touch controls. littlebigplanet vita offers both a solid single player, multiplayer, and level creator, and is arguably the best LBP. RPGs, the top that come to mind are Persona 4 Golden, Ys, Disgaea. You want adventure? Well we have Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Tearaway. You want co-op? We have Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Dogma. You want shooter? We have Killzone, Super Stardust (remember, Vita has dual sticks). You want racing? We have Wipeout, Motorstorm, even franchises like Need for Speed. You want sports? MLB The Show, FIFA, Madden. The Vita also gas fantastic indie support with games like OlliOlli, Guacamelee, Velocity, Hotline, Spelunky. You also get free games and discounts from PS Plus. You also get cross play with PS3, remote play with PS4, and soon you'll be able to stream games with PS Now.

In summation, don't listen to the fanboys. They care too much about metacritic and not actually getting an opinion for themselves. I own both systems, and they are both great, don't count the Vita though.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

@mrintro said:

also, 3ds games tend to be very casual (easy). a link between worlds was dead brain easy, dungeons were simple, everything laid out for you. the new pokemon is very easy, with the exception being if you like to play competitively. luigi's mansion was a breeze. fire emblem was ok if you're into those games. also, if people bring up SMT4 and Etrian, those are both dungeon crawlers which aren't for everyone.

the vita actually has a variety of games to play, and the handheld experience is much more next gen with emphasis on online play and touch controls. littlebigplanet vita offers both a solid single player, multiplayer, and level creator, and is arguably the best LBP. RPGs, the top that come to mind are Persona 4 Golden, Ys, Disgaea. You want adventure? Well we have Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Tearaway. You want co-op? We have Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Dogma. You want shooter? We have Killzone, Super Stardust (remember, Vita has dual sticks). You want racing? We have Wipeout, Motorstorm, even franchises like Need for Speed. You want sports? MLB The Show, FIFA, Madden. The Vita also gas fantastic indie support with games like OlliOlli, Guacamelee, Velocity, Hotline, Spelunky. You also get free games and discounts from PS Plus. You also get cross play with PS3, remote play with PS4, and soon you'll be able to stream games with PS Now.

In summation, don't listen to the fanboys. They care too much about metacritic and not actually getting an opinion for themselves. I own both systems, and they are both great, don't count the Vita though.

Really, the only person who sounds like a fanboy in this thread is you. You come off as someone incredibly insecure about their purchase, who can't even be bothered to justify what they wrote, because anyone who wrote more than three words in a post in their thread (i.e. those who weren't just trolling) actually write well balanced posts and critiques not siding with any one system, but offering the OP with a good list of pros and cons of both systems.

Everyone except you that is.

Also, lawl at 3DS games being easy. Go play Fire Emblem/SMT4/Etrian Odyssey/Kid Icarus/ALBW on Hero Mode/Monster Hunter and say 3DS games are 'easy.'

Like I said, once upon a time you used to be a reasonable poster. Now you have degenerated into a MdnightShade-esque caricature of yourself.

#16 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro said:

Really, the only person who sounds like a fanboy in this thread is you. You come off as someone incredibly insecure about their purchase, who can't even be bothered to justify what they wrote, because anyone who wrote more than three words in a post in their thread (i.e. those who weren't just trolling) actually write well balanced posts and critiques not siding with any one system, but offering the OP with a good list of pros and cons of both systems.

Also, lawl at 3DS games being easy. Go play Fire Emblem/SMT4/Etrian Odyssey/Kid Icarus/ALBW on Hero Mode/Monster Hunter and say 3DS games are 'easy.'

Like I said, once upon a time you used to be a reasonable poster. Now you have degenerated into a MdnightShade-esque caricature of yourself.

I own both consoles, and have played all of those games I mentioned. The 3DS in my opinion is a casual console for the MOST part. If that's what the OP likes, then good for him. I personally think the Vita is made mostly for the hardcore gamer in mind. That's why the PSP had a market in the first place. Just look at the types of games. Look at every 3DS commercial or go to your local mall, you'll see all kinds of people playing 3DS. It is the choice for kids and family. Maybe you shouldn't get so insecure about it.

#17 Edited by Wiimotefan (4150 posts) -

Ha, still the hardcore/casual crap being thrown around. Damn that's one thing I don't miss about this place.

And applying it to 3DS vs. PSV?

Funny shit.

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@mrintro said:

I own both consoles, and have played all of those games I mentioned. The 3DS in my opinion is a casual console for the MOST part. If that's what the OP likes, then good for him. I personally think the Vita is made mostly for the hardcore gamer in mind. That's why the PSP had a market in the first place. Just look at the types of games. Look at every 3DS commercial or go to your local mall, you'll see all kinds of people playing 3DS. It is the choice for kids and family. Maybe you shouldn't get so insecure about it.

You're the insecure one here, throwing inaccurate labels on things the way you are. Claiming the Vita and PSP are "hardcore" just because they have smaller audiences is absurd, along with the narrow generalizations you're using in this thread.

#19 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

You're the insecure one here, throwing inaccurate labels on things the way you are. Claiming the Vita and PSP are "hardcore" just because they have smaller audiences is absurd, along with the narrow generalizations you're using in this thread.

Being they have smaller audiences? Where does it say that?

#20 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro said:

Way to reduce the 3DS library to something it is not, and to completely undermine how broad and diverse it is. Sometimes I doubt you even actually have a 3DS.

You used to be a reasonable poster. What the hell happened?

The funny thing is dude, you never provided any balance to your original post. All you said was the "3DS's library is far and away better" LOL And on top of that, you have fully admitted that you haven't played a lot of Vita games.. And I'm the one talking out of my ass?

#21 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

"choice for kids and family" is just another way for saying it is enjoyed by more people, and you have no validity in assuming they're "casual" or any legit argument for claiming Vita and PSP games are more "hardcore" than DS/3DS games. I've played tons of both so I know better than that nonsense. Neither one is more challenging or dedicated than another.

#22 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro said:

I'm sorry but Etrian Odyssey 4, Fire Emblem Awakening, & Shin Megami Tensei 4 are the easiest games in their respective series (SMT4 is the easiest main line SMT game by far.). Only people I can see finding these games hard are newcomers to the franchises.

#23 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

"choice for kids and family" is just another way for saying it is enjoyed by more people, and you have no validity in assuming they're "casual" or any legit argument for claiming Vita and PSP games are more "hardcore" than DS/3DS games. I've played tons of both so I know better than that nonsense. Neither one is more challenging or dedicated than another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nORgM4lpslk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqjb3KzBxDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHXM6iviVU

There's a reason why the marketing is that way ;)

#24 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Linking family advertisements is weaksauce and inadequate as an argument. You've made bullshit claims, I called you out on them, and you link youtube bullshit as a defense? What a total waste of time.

#25 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9482 posts) -

I like the 3DS a little bit more. Fire Emblem Awakening and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars are both really good SRPGs (Fire Emblem is better than Ghost Recon). Did you have either a DS or a PSP? If your most recent platform was the GBA, get a 3DS. If you had a DS but not a PSP, I would get a Vita first for the downloadable PSP library. There are lots of really good RPGs on the PSP. If you have a PSP, but no DS, I would get the 3DS because you will have 2 excellent libraries of games available to you.

The Vita is probably better than the 3DS if you want to go all digital, just for the digital versions of PS1 and PSP games on the platform. Just know that you are going to have to purchase an ungodly expensive card to store all that data on. The 3DS uses cheap SD cards and is great for digital gaming if you want to stick with 3DS titles, but older titles are pretty limited, and while the system is completely backwards compatible with DS games, none of those games are available on the eshop. PSN+ is also a pretty good value, though given how you are still gaming on your GBA, I wouldn't get too caught up in the idea of getting free games, as you will lose your entire free game library as soon as you stop paying for PSN+. Buying them when they are cheap during sales would be a better deal if you are going to want to retro game.

#26 Posted by jadjei (379 posts) -

See told ya this thread wont end well. Unfortunately it only takes one person to derail a thread. *sigh*

#27 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

Linking family advertisements is weaksauce and inadequate as an argument. You've made bullshit claims, I called you out on them, and you link youtube bullshit as a defense? What a total waste of time.

You mean I have an opinion that's different than yours?

#28 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@jadjei said:

See told ya this thread wont end well. Unfortunately it only takes one person to derail a thread. *sigh*

I'm sure I've shared in the derailment of it, but I can't sit idly by and let fanboys get away with outright lies. For years now, cows have used the "hardcore" angle simply out of desperation, as if appealing to less people overall is some sort of badge of honor. Suggesting teens are a more noble group of users than children and/or adults.

Fact is both systems have games that appeal to every demographic of users. It's funny how cows seem to forget/overlook that angle when discussing all things PSone and PS2, where a large majority of those systems' users were in fact very much family oriented and non-dedicated.

#30 Posted by anab0lic (374 posts) -

If its RPG's you want then the vita is vastly superior IMO.

You have:-

persona 4 golden

Persona 3 portable

Final fantasy 4,5,6,7,8,9,X X-2

Tactics ogre: let us cling together <---- Seriously this game is so under-appreciated, its better than FF tactics in just about every way and WAYYYYY better than Fire Emblem awakening.

FF tactics WOTL

Disgaea 1,2,3 and 4 is on the way.

Lots of old school ps1 stuff like xenogears, vagrant story, grandia etc.

#31 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@mrintro said:

You mean I have an opinion that's different than yours?

I mean that you can't back up your opinion in any coherent or reasonable fashion.

I'd be justified in committing suicide if I made idiotic claims, and then tried to back them up with corporate commercials.

coherent claims and then you talk about suicide? way to ruin this thread...

#32 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I mean that you can't back up your opinion in any coherent or reasonable fashion.

I'd be justified in committing suicide if I made idiotic claims, and then tried to back them up with corporate commercials.

coherent claims and then you talk about suicide? way to ruin this thread...

You pick up on partial sentence phrases and ignore the other parts of debates to change the subject because you can't argue properly. You don't even attempt to back up your claims.

Trying to have a sensible, on-topic conversation with you is next to impossible.

#33 Edited by jadjei (379 posts) -

@Bigboi500: I totally agree with everything you said.

Honestly TC if you have enough money get both (obviously one now and the other handheld later). You get best of both worlds. It's kind of funny that I had no interest in buying a Vita a few months ago. Then i just randomly wanted, it's a great purchase. Just wish the memory cards weren't so expensive ( I'm still waiting for a deal for them). Anyway look at both of these handhelds' game library and see which one appeals to you. (Both could appeal to you i guess, so which one makes you want to get it before the other lol).

#34 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@anab0lic said:

persona 4 golden

Persona 3 portable

Tactics ogre: let us cling together <---- Seriously this game is so under-appreciated, its better than FF tactics in just about every way and WAYYYYY better than Fire Emblem awakening.

FF tactics WOTL

this guy knows what he's talking about!

#35 Edited by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Ah, you want to use anecdotal evidence? Go to any college campus. People playing 3DS left right and center. The same people who are targeted by Xbox and PlayStation also own a 3DS. What does that tell you?

3DS isn't for kids- it's for everyone. Learn the distinction and stop being a fucking troll.

@mrintro said:

The funny thing is dude, you never provided any balance to your original post. All you said was the "3DS's library is far and away better" LOL And on top of that, you have fully admitted that you haven't played a lot of Vita games.. And I'm the one talking out of my ass?

Lol, first off, no, I have played mostly every major Vita game. The ones I am missing? I think I didn't play Liberation, Burning Skies, Black Ops Declassified (meaning I seem to have missed out on some incredible quality gaming) and I didn't play LBP. That's it.

That same original post that you take so much issue to? That's the one where I say Vita is a hell of a deal to begin with, and especially with PS+. That's the same one where I say that 3DS is stupidly expensive to game on. That's the same one where I say that even though he should probably buy 3DS first, he should buy Vita later. You know? I'm willing to concede ground to the other system, and acknowledge where it is great. That's called balance and reason. Not 'my system is great, the other system sucks, million Mario and Zelda games, blah blah blah!'

@FlamesOfGrey said:

I'm sorry but Etrian Odyssey 4, Fire Emblem Awakening, & Shin Megami Tensei 4 are the easiest games in their respective series (SMT4 is the easiest main line SMT game by far.). Only people I can see finding these games hard are newcomers to the franchises.

It's good that you have such a rich history with all three franchises that you can instantly recognize that, but you know, most people here, including, presumably, the TC, are probably going to be newcomers to all three franchises. They probably will find those games difficult.

Also, don't confuse relative difficulty to absolute difficulty. SMT4, EO4, and FE:A might be easier than past games, but they're still pretty fucking difficult.

@Bigboi500 said:

I'm sure I've shared in the derailment of it, but I can't sit idly by and let fanboys get away with outright lies. For years now, cows have used the "hardcore" angle simply out of desperation, as if appealing to less people overall is some sort of badge of honor. Suggesting teens are a more noble group of users than children and/or adults.

Fact is both systems have games that appeal to every demographic of users. It's funny how cows seem to forget/overlook that angle when discussing all things PSone and PS2, where a large majority of those systems' users were in fact very much family oriented and non-dedicated.

Exactly. If cows got out a little more, they would see that while, yes, kids do in fact play Nintendo, so do teens and adults. Everyone plays Nintendo. But I guess cows, with all their focus on exclusivity (and by extension, exclusion) can't stand something that isn't being made exclusively to cater to them.

@anab0lic said:

persona 4 golden

Persona 3 portable

FF tactics WOTL

Ah, backwards compatibility.

3DS plays all DS games. Check mate.

#36 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9482 posts) -

@anab0lic said:

persona 4 golden

Persona 3 portable

FF tactics WOTL

The 3DS has Fire Emblem: Awakening; Bravely Default; Pokemon X/Y; Shin Megami Tensei IV; Ghost Recon Shadow Wars; Monster Hunter 3; SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked; Final Fantasy 3,4, XII: Revenant Wings, 4 Heroes of Light, and Tactics A2; Chrono Trigger; Dragon Quest 4-6 and 9; just to name a few.

#37 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Again, putting words in my mouth. Never said 3DS is JUST for kids. You need to learn the distinction dude. Secondly, I said the 3DS is a great system in my post, just I thought it was very casual. Ever heard of an opinion? You were trying to make a post about balance and listings pros and cons. Just saying get the Vita if you have PS+ and then saying the 3DS has a "far and away" better library? Some analysis you got there buddy! And thirdly, you are "far and away" the biggest 3DS fanboy on this forum and you know it. I started speaking up for the Vita because of people like you.

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro said:

Ah, you want to use anecdotal evidence? Go to any college campus. People playing 3DS left right and center. The same people who are targeted by Xbox and PlayStation also own a 3DS. What does that tell you?

3DS isn't for kids- it's for everyone. Learn the distinction and stop being a fucking troll.

@mrintro said:

Lol, first off, no, I have played mostly every major Vita game. The ones I am missing? I think I didn't play Liberation, Burning Skies, Black Ops Declassified (meaning I seem to have missed out on some incredible quality gaming) and I didn't play LBP. That's it.

That same original post that you take so much issue to? That's the one where I say Vita is a hell of a deal to begin with, and especially with PS+. That's the same one where I say that 3DS is stupidly expensive to game on. That's the same one where I say that even though he should probably buy 3DS first, he should buy Vita later. You know? I'm willing to concede ground to the other system, and acknowledge where it is great. That's called balance and reason. Not 'my system is great, the other system sucks, million Mario and Zelda games, blah blah blah!'0 said:

Exactly. If cows got out a little more, they would see that while, yes, kids do in fact play Nintendo, so do teens and adults. Everyone plays Nintendo. But I guess cows, with all their focus on exclusivity (and by extension, exclusion) can't stand something that isn't being made exclusively to cater to them.

#38 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Ok to get back to helping the TC become more familiar with some of the two handhelds games, all I can do is mention my favorite exclusives for both systems.

3DS:

Fire Emblem: Awakening - a fantastic SRPG with interesting characters and unique gameplay elements.

Animal Crossing New Leaf - easy going simulation of day to day life in a little town where building that town and your home takes priority.

Rune Factory 4 - a mix of a farming sim and dungeon crawler with RPG building elements.

Shin Megami Tensei IV - a dark JRPG with an interesting story, deep dungeons and demon recruiting.

Pokemon X/Y - a lighter-themed JRPG with creature raising/managing.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - an action JRPG with platforming elements and skilled timing mechanics.

Super Mario 3D Land - a 3D platformer with amazing level design and tight controls.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - a 3D puzzle oriented adventure game and sequel to one of the greatest games on the planet (ALTTP) with outstanding game design.

Vita:

Tearaway - a very unique and imaginative platformer that draws on the strength of the Vita's controls.

Persona 4 Golden (not exclusive exactly, but to call it a simple port would be wrong) - an extended edition of an already superb PS2 JRPG with extra characters, social links, dungeon and activities.

Soul Sacrifice - a hack n slash game a little like Monster Hunter. Interesting story and good gameplay mechanics, big boss battles, challenging combat with fun abilities and spells.

#39 Posted by krycis (2835 posts) -

Looks like my immediate take away is: check the digital stores to see what downloadable content is more alluring. I was leaning towards the 3DS due to some of the recent releases initially, but I'll definitely have to check what each store has to offer. Sadly I don't handheld game much, usually traveling, or getting a little game time before bed, so buying both systems seems a bit of a waste. I'm not terribly sold on difficulty, gamer image presentation, or the other social aspects of the platforms: I'm in my mid-30s and being seen in public with a 3DS or Vita are going to look fairly silly anyway. :) I've played most of the backlog games before, when they were new releases way back in the day, but sometimes nostalgia strikes (like buying FFVI for GBA off Amazon last year). Thanks for the input all! Maybe folks know of some killer titles coming to the systems soon that might also paint an argument?

#40 Edited by anab0lic (374 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Ah, backwards compatibility.

3DS plays all DS games. Check mate.

True it does, but from the entire ds library I only really found DQ IX, Radiant Historia and tactics A2 to be worth my time.

I have 3ds and vita, love both and wouldnt want to be without either...but when it comes to the best of the best RPG's vita with its backlog of PS1 and PSP games has more to offer IMO.

#41 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@krycis said:

Looks like my immediate take away is: check the digital stores to see what downloadable content is more alluring. I was leaning towards the 3DS due to some of the recent releases initially, but I'll definitely have to check what each store has to offer. Sadly I don't handheld game much, usually traveling, or getting a little game time before bed, so buying both systems seems a bit of a waste. I'm not terribly sold on difficulty, gamer image presentation, or the other social aspects of the platforms: I'm in my mid-30s and being seen in public with a 3DS or Vita are going to look fairly silly anyway. :) I've played most of the backlog games before, when they were new releases way back in the day, but sometimes nostalgia strikes (like buying FFVI for GBA off Amazon last year). Thanks for the input all! Maybe folks know of some killer titles coming to the systems soon that might also paint an argument?

Good luck picking one lol. My only last suggestion for Vita is to check this out http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/the-top-30-playstation-vita-games-of-2014

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#42 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9103 posts) -

Since you don't have a PS3 or PSP going by the OP I'd say go for the Vita. There aren't a lot of exclusives yet but what's there is good(Ys Celceta, Sorcery Saga, Persona 4 Golden) but you also have great PSP and PS1 classics to get from PSN, and ports of PS3 games. Also Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD and Demon Gaze are coming out soon.

3DS also has great RPGs though like Fire Emblem and you can also play DS games on it. I'd lean towards Vita overall but it's a toss up.

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9482 posts) -

@joel_c17: I don't know why anyone would bash the Vita. It's the PS4 that needs games.

#45 Posted by Ballroompirate (25955 posts) -

Get the HH that actually has games, aka the 3DS.

#46 Posted by joel_c17 (3206 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@joel_c17: I don't know why anyone would bash the Vita. It's the PS4 that needs games.

If you bought a ps4 at launch and expected it to be raining games you are an idiot. They are coming - its the same for all new gen consoles.

#47 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

I love it how people always list PSP games and ps1 classics when they mention the vita library. You may as well get a PSP.

But my view on the matter is that if it weren't for P4G, I would completely regret my Vita purchase

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
#48 Posted by deactivated-5ac102a4472fe (7431 posts) -

# A few rather random points to add to the shockingly decent conversation (in SW standards).

I will start off by saying that I prefer the Vita (so far) It is a persona opinion but I will not shy away form claims against it. I will add in a few hardware Things that are rather important.

Since no one mentioned the somewhat big elephants in the room,

1) battery Lifes. They are outright horrible on both systems (initially) If you can the 3DSXL has a better batterylife over the normal 3ds, might sound like nitpicking, but it was horrible on the standard 3DS. And yet the Vita is worse, 5 hours of battery life if you are in luck, Means the Vita is not very portable, unless you have a power outlet with you.

2) Cards and games. I find that alot of the 3ds games tend to be rather steep in Price (you can shop around for cheaper prices) which makes the Universal PS+ an insanely good deal for the Vita, However do keep in mind, that said games from PS+ requires memory Cards specifically made for the Vita, they are WAY more expensive then you might think, and Thus it ends up costing a fair bit, simply to be able to download said "free games", Again shopping around still applies to this aswell.

3) Screens. Look, let us be frank, the screens of the 3DS are not the best in the World, they ballance on budget bin screens to be honest, and the 3d saps batterylife, and not that well supported. It may sound like a negative, but compared to the OLED Vita which has a type of Wear that looks like burn in after a year or two (basicly the screen degenerates with time, and there is nothing you can do about, it, its a flaw in OLEDs) which Sony Claimed they somewhat corrected (but surely didd'nt) You might want the cheaper 3DS screen, which atleast will still be playable 4 years in. (likely).

With all that said, the Vita offers a good deal of indie games, really good RPGs, and offers by far the best controls of the two, I prefer it by a mile, despite it having way more negatives then the 3DS, some of the issues can be corrected somewhat if you buy the newer LCD version of the Vita, but I doubt it will reach the 3DS in terms of durability and battery life

#49 Posted by Bren128 (2355 posts) -

I bought a 3dsxl over a vita bc many of the games that are on the vita are on PS3. Otherwise I would have gotten a Vita. It feels so much better in your hands. Im playing ALBW, Luigis Mansion, Pokemon y and Mario and Luigi Dream team. I was never impressed with anything the 3ds has to offer hardware wise. Its garbage. The web browser is ass. The 3d effect makes a lot of games blurry? .. Friend codes also piss me off. Like wtf nintendo I dont even know what my fc is. Why do they make things so difficult? AND YES there a TONS of KIDS playing 3ds. Kind of annoying but w/e.

You think id rather play Dragons crown, Hotline Miami? Mortal Kombat on my Vita? Definitely but since their already a ps3 version why bother? For me its about the exclusives. Which is the problem for the vita!!!!!!!!!!!!11 Here is the MC list for the Vita which is pretty damn good really : http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/vita/metascore?view=condensed&hardware=all

Then you look at the 3ds list and its good too but the difference is the exclusives. The 3ds lineup however is not vastly superior to the vita. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/vita/metascore?view=condensed&hardware=all

#50 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

@krycis said:

I don't game on mobile platforms much,

Then skip both. Save your money and get an Xbone too, or PC. No point in getting a handheld if you don't mobile game much. I was where you are a month or so ago. I was buying into the hype of the 3ds and vita, even though I do not play on those types of systems since I was 10. Won a 3dsxl on ebay for $160 and a vita for $150.00, both new. I hesitated for the longest time and ended up not paying for the won auction, thank god you don't have to pay as you bid. Make sure this is something you want.