Virtua Fighter Controller Probs, Game Sells Less Than DOA4

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virtua-fighter-5/virtua-fighter-controller-probs-game-sells-less-than-doa4-235688.php

interesting read.

Discuss. 

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts
Concidering arcades are bigger in JA, is this not shocking? NA and EU sales will be better no doubt.
A2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 A2D
Member since 2005 • 4658 Posts
I'm not suprised, VF5 has been in arcades everywhere in Japan for ages and doesn't have a large cast of girls with big balloons :P
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
I'm not suprised, VF5 has been in arcades everywhere in Japan for ages and doesn't have a large cast of girls with big balloons :PA2D
Idunno...a popular game is a popular game. Tekken, MK and Street Fighter games have always sold well in home ports. especially in the 16bit and 32 bit generations when American arcades were alive and well.
Avatar image for XtinctionAgenda
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XtinctionAgenda
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
Perhaps people realize it's just not that good a game after all.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
THis doesn't impact north america... get real.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

I am a huge fighter fan, and I bought it last week (Japanese version). It is a fun game, but god it got boring after 4 days. I even had my friends over Saturday night, and we got bored of playing multiplayer.

It just doesn't feel like a $55/$60 game.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BioShockOwnz
THis doesn't impact north america... get real.KeyWii
I am guessing it won't impact NA very much since most PS3 owners have one thing in mind....Motorstorm!
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
Concidering arcades are bigger in JA, is this not shocking? NA and EU sales will be better no doubt.chrismunx
like the other virtual fighter on the ps2 did in america? those other ones didnt even make a dint.
Avatar image for -NintendoPower-
-NintendoPower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -NintendoPower-
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]THis doesn't impact north america... get real.BioShockOwnz
I am guessing it won't impact NA very much since most PS3 owners have one thing in mind....Motorstorm!

LOL He speaks the truth.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#11 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

I bet it would have much higher sales if it had online play.

Who wants to play a multiplayer with no online? Apparently not Japanese gamers.

Avatar image for volumetricCloud
volumetricCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 volumetricCloud
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
Kotaku? nice source...NOT.
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts
If the 360 version comes out and has Online MP then the Cows will be seriously owned.
Avatar image for supermechakirby
supermechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 supermechakirby
Member since 2003 • 10677 Posts
Concidering arcades are bigger in JA, is this not shocking? NA and EU sales will be better no doubt.chrismunx
Kotaku? nice source...NOT.volumetricCloud
DAMAGE. CONTROL.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XtinctionAgenda

If the 360 version comes out and has Online MP then the Cows will be seriously owned.AdolescentDon

Well yeah because then they'd have to admit DOA4 was always superior.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="chrismunx"]Concidering arcades are bigger in JA, is this not shocking? NA and EU sales will be better no doubt.supermechakirby
DAMAGE. CONTROL.

They are hurt a little since F1 and VF5 are floppers. Leave them alone. :)
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

Perhaps people realize it's just not that good a game after all.XtinctionAgenda

I'm sure it's an awesome game.  Just not $600 awesome.

Online would've made it better ;)

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
The sales figures are hilarious between that and DOA 4. And VF was supposed to be one of the "big" PS3 games. I still can't wait for it to come to the 360 though :) (with online)
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

You Sony fanboys thought it was a great source when they (and only they) were claiming the 360 wasn't selling well, right?

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Virtua Fighter is something to play until the real fighting game in the works is released that will show off what the Playstation 3 can do...Tekken 6...
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XtinctionAgenda

[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]Perhaps people realize it's just not that good a game after all.Yellow_Rose

I'm sure it's an awesome game.  Just not $600 awesome.

Online would've made it better ;)

I've been studying VF5 and to be honest with you, I'd feel robbed if I paid $50 for that game.

echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
I actually dont care too much about VF5 but these sales figures are inaccurate. DOA4 sold 60k for the week it came out, not the day it came out. The week after that it wasnt even in the top 50 either. VF5 sold 30k the day it came out. It may or may not have reached 60k by the end of the week. Nobody knows right now. The controller problem sucks though. In such an arcade oriented country you can bet there are alot of people pissed at that. 
-DreamTheater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -DreamTheater-
Member since 2006 • 785 Posts
Makes sense considering any self respecting Japanese gamer has played this game months ago in the arcades, and they didn't add anything worth-while to this game.
yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts
[QUOTE="A2D"]I'm not suprised, VF5 has been in arcades everywhere in Japan for ages and doesn't have a large cast of girls with big balloons :PDreams-Visions
Idunno...a popular game is a popular game. Tekken, MK and Street Fighter games have always sold well in home ports. especially in the 16bit and 32 bit generations when American arcades were alive and well.

MK never sold in Japan.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XtinctionAgenda
I actually dont care too much about VF5 but these sales figures are inaccurate. DOA4 sold 60k for the week it came out, not the day it came out. The week after that it wasnt even in the top 50 either. VF5 sold 30k the day it came out. It may or may not have reached 60k by the end of the week. Nobody knows right now. The controller problem sucks though. In such an arcade oriented country you can bet there are alot of people pissed at that. echelon
I hope you can prove what you've said about DOA4's sales. I also hope you appreciate that there were only 80K owners at the time and therefore comprehend why VF5's 30k from 600K is so bad.
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts
Virtua Fighter is something to play until the real fighting game in the works is released that will show off what the Playstation 3 can do...Tekken 6...TekkenMaster606
Oh be quiet... Tekken 6 has PSP level graphics... jumping from game to game that fails just digs you in deeper.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TekkenMaster606
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Virtua Fighter is something to play until the real fighting game in the works is released that will show off what the Playstation 3 can do...Tekken 6...dinb
Oh be quiet... Tekken 6 has PSP level graphics... jumping from game to game that fails just digs you in deeper.

PSP level graphics? Laughable.

Fails? Uh huh, a bunch of 9s are a failure alright.
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Ha Ha! TCHBO hardcore, an Xbox 360 fighter sold more then a PS3 fighter in Japan, oh man thats ownage.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XtinctionAgenda

[QUOTE="dinb"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Virtua Fighter is something to play until the real fighting game in the works is released that will show off what the Playstation 3 can do...Tekken 6...TekkenMaster606

Maybe now you'll learn not to put too much stock in old GS scores. 

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TekkenMaster606

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="dinb"][QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Virtua Fighter is something to play until the real fighting game in the works is released that will show off what the Playstation 3 can do...Tekken 6...XtinctionAgenda

Maybe now you'll learn not to put too much stock in old GS scores.

I still don't see the proof of 'failure'. The only failure I see is another fighting franchise never getting AAA status after if left the Dreamcast and Playstation platform...
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 echelon
[QUOTE="echelon"]I actually dont care too much about VF5 but these sales figures are inaccurate. DOA4 sold 60k for the week it came out, not the day it came out. The week after that it wasnt even in the top 50 either. VF5 sold 30k the day it came out. It may or may not have reached 60k by the end of the week. Nobody knows right now. The controller problem sucks though. In such an arcade oriented country you can bet there are alot of people pissed at that. XtinctionAgenda
I hope you can prove what you've said about DOA4's sales. I also hope you appreciate that there were only 80K owners at the time and therefore comprehend why VF5's 30k from 600K is so bad.

For the sales charts you can go to vgcharts.org. They have the weekly japanese sales charts for every week since 1989. For the week ending Jan 1st 2006(the week it came out) DOA4 sold 59,000 copies. Now looking at the days though it wasnt a full week but was actually 4 days. The week after though it did not finish in the top 50 and sold less then 10,000 copies. I do appreciate DOA4s sales in comparison to the number of 360 owners in Japan. That article wasnt referring to sales per owner though it was just referring to sales. Another interesting note is that DOA3 was the best selling Xbox game in Japan selling 150k copies. The japanese definately like the series.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XtinctionAgenda

[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"][QUOTE="echelon"]I actually dont care too much about VF5 but these sales figures are inaccurate. DOA4 sold 60k for the week it came out, not the day it came out. The week after that it wasnt even in the top 50 either. VF5 sold 30k the day it came out. It may or may not have reached 60k by the end of the week. Nobody knows right now. The controller problem sucks though. In such an arcade oriented country you can bet there are alot of people pissed at that. echelon

For the sales charts you can go to vgcharts.org. They have the weekly japanese sales charts for every week since 1989. For the week ending Jan 1st 2006(the week it came out) DOA4 sold 59,000 copies. Now looking at the days though it wasnt a full week but was actually 4 days. The week after though it did not finish in the top 50 and sold less then 10,000 copies. I do appreciate DOA4s sales in comparison to the number of 360 owners in Japan. That article wasnt referring to sales per owner though it was just referring to sales. Another interesting note is that DOA3 was the best selling Xbox game in Japan selling 150k copies. The japanese definately like the series.

Good for you. You've proven Japanese people actually discern between good fighting games and lacklustre ones. :lol:

echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 echelon

Good for you. You've proven Japanese people actually discern between good fighting games and lacklustre ones. :lol:

XtinctionAgenda

Well yeah, but you could also look at this:

Sales in millions (in Japan):

Tekken 3 - 1.4
Tekken 2 - 1.37
VF2 - 1.3
Tekken - .85
VF - .77
VF4 - .55
Tekken Tag - .53
Tekken 4 - .35
Soul Calibur 2 - .33
Tekken 5 - .32

DOA3 - .15
DOA4 - .08 maybe

Its still not exactly their favorite.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TekkenMaster606
[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]

echelon

DOA4 - .08 maybe

Ok, this is how the list should look for everyone else. Because the System Wars way of doing things is simple...

Don't look any farther back than 2 years and don't look ahead more than 1 year...

XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XtinctionAgenda
[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]

echelon

Tekken 3 - 1.4
Tekken 2 - 1.37
VF2 - 1.3
Tekken - .85
VF - .77
VF4 - .55
Tekken Tag - .53
Tekken 4 - .35
Soul Calibur 2 - .33
Tekken 5 - .32

DOA3 - .15
DOA4 - .08 maybe

It is if you factor in attach ratios.
zeonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zeonne
Member since 2003 • 5600 Posts
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]THis doesn't impact north america... get real.BioShockOwnz

so i guess because all 360 owners have halo 3 on the brain bioshock on 360 wont sell??? SELF OWNAGE
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
VF5 was expected to sell well? Since when?
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 echelon
[QUOTE="echelon"][QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]

TekkenMaster606

DOA4 - .08 maybe

Ok, this is how the list should look for everyone else. Because the System Wars way of doing things is simple...

Don't look any farther back than 2 years and don't look ahead more than 1 year...

Fair enough. DOA4 is still going to have a tough time outselling any other 3d fighter in Japan. I dont have numbers for Tekken DR for PSP but im pretty sure that that has outsold it as well so there is a very recent example. Even Tekken DR for PS3 might outsell it.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XtinctionAgenda
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="echelon"][QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]

echelon

DOA4 - .08 maybe

Fair enough. DOA4 is still going to have a tough time outselling any other 3d fighter in Japan. I dont have numbers for Tekken DR for PSP but im pretty sure that that has outsold it as well so there is a very recent example. Even Tekken DR for PS3 might outsell it.

You can't go by sheer sales numbers when each console has a different market share. You have to use ratios and in those terms DOA outsells all other franchises.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TekkenMaster606
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"][QUOTE="echelon"][QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]

echelon

DOA4 - .08 maybe

The truth is, I liked the original list better. But someone else will find a way to discredit it by telling us that the period in time is too long ago or skewed or some other kind of excuse. The fact is, Tecmo gave up on the arcades because it's game was losing left and right to other fighting games.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
VF is a 3rd place fighting game this gen.  It's fun but you're better off waiting for tekken, or getting DOA.  Also VF will end up in 4th place if Namco ever releases a next gen Soul Caliber.  I think the only reason anybody was excited about this game was because it was a ps3 exclusive, and then it went to 360.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TekkenMaster606
Virtua Fighter 5 is now a multiplatform title, so I'm pretty sure it will hold a sizable share, not 4th place. Dead or Alive 4 will continue to sell because it's the best fighting game on the Xbox 360, and there are a lot of 360 owners out there.

The ball is in Namco's court really.
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XtinctionAgenda

Virtua Fighter 5 is now a multiplatform title, so I'm pretty sure it will hold a sizable share, not 4th place. Dead or Alive 4 will continue to sell because it's the best fighting game on the Xbox 360, and there are a lot of 360 owners out there.

The ball is in Namco's court really.
TekkenMaster606
They'll have to destroy a vaunted point of contention if they want to overcome DOA's dominance... ONLINE PLAY and by extension frame input windows and so called accurate play.

Seems to me like DOA was ahead of the pack after all.

echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 echelon
You can't go by sheer sales numbers when each console has a different market share. You have to use ratios and in those terms DOA outsells all other franchises.XtinctionAgenda

I hear what you are saying but it doesnt work that way. You cant just use the fact that the 360 doesnt sell well in Japan as a crutch to say that all of its games have good sales ratios. If you do that Gears is the best selling shooter in Japan and Blue Dragon is the best selling RPG in Japan for the sme reason. I can probably find a fighting game for NGage that sold 20 copies and has a high attach ratio but that doesnt mean anything. Gears of War is one of the best selling games out right now but its ratio is lower then the sales for Resistance because of the number of PS3s sold. Is Resistance better or more successful then Gears?
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XtinctionAgenda

[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]You can't go by sheer sales numbers when each console has a different market share. You have to use ratios and in those terms DOA outsells all other franchises.echelon

I hear what you are saying but it doesnt work that way. You cant just use the fact that the 360 doesnt sell well in Japan as a crutch to say that all of its games have good sales ratios. If you do that Gears is the best selling shooter in Japan and Blue Dragon is the best selling RPG in Japan for the sme reason. I can probably find a fighting game for NGage that sold 20 copies and has a high attach ratio but that doesnt mean anything. Gears of War is one of the best selling games out right now but its ratio is lower then the sales for Resistance because of the number of PS3s sold. Is Resistance better or more successful then Gears?

You have to be realistic. The 360 has a user base exactly one half of the PS3's, both in Japan. That is comparable. You can therefore extraoplate using ratios the popularity of any title on each system. It makes even more sense to use ratios for PS2 titles as that market is saturated and no longer expanding. It is the only viable way to compare popularity of similar games between consoles.

FYI GeOW has a 1:4 ratio. Resistance last time I checked was 1:5.

Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
What about the 360 sales? I have hypocrits.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
All I see is a faulty controller complaint, something I'm sure the manufacturer will fix in due course.  As far as it seemingly selling less than DOA4, well i'll keep my comments to myself.  8)
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XtinctionAgenda
All I see is a faulty controller complaint, something I'm sure the manufacturer will fix in due course.  As far as it seemingly selling less than DOA4, well i'll keep my comments to myself.  8)DementedDragon
Then what was the point of posting a response?
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Then what was the point of posting a response?XtinctionAgenda

To take up space.