Video: How Nintendo stayed relevant throughout its history

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Video: How Nintendo stayed relevant throughout its history (36 votes)

I love Nintendo 67%
I hate Nintendo 8%
They're OK. 25%

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/11/how-nintendo-has-stayed-relevant-for-over-a-century.html

Wanted to share this video as I thought it was very interesting. I couldn't embed it here for some reason, but you can find it in the link above. Your thoughts, SW? Are you a fan of Nintendo? Do you think they will be around for a long time? I wasn't a huge Nintendo fan growing up, but I respected them. Then I learned to really appreciate their games, and I'm a happy Switch owner. Definitely their best system in my opinion. I think they always find ways to be different; they're willing to make mistakes, and that's great. They bounce back afterwards.

• 
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9232 Posts

Their focus on motion controls with Wii and Wii-U lost me as a customer for the better part of a decade. The joycons for Switch are still mostly crap by themselves. Even my 3 year old uses them sparingly preferring the Pro controllers.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#2 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3057 Posts

Nintendo is okay in my personal opinion.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 3937 Posts

I have always appreciated that they are not just a clone of the other 2. I already own a Ps4 and Xbox one. I would not want a 3rd one of that. This leads to hits for me like the 3ds and Switch and also some misses like the Wii or Virtual Boy. I would not have it any other way. Also I appreciate that they do not feel the need to become dark and gritty just because everyone else is. They seem more family oriented and that is a good thing after all you have the other 2 for that already. They also seem to still care about local multiplayer and I just love that as I like hanging out with actual people in real life still.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 34102 Posts

I love Nintendo games

I hate Nintendo pricing

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 42522 Posts

Nintendo makes good quality of games that tend to be far superior to Sony's offering in some areas. The only thing I don't like about Nintendo is their prices are insane!

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990  Online
Member since 2013 • 9905 Posts

@davillain-: That and their cheapo hardware when Nintendo with the GC and before were known for high quality durable stuff. GC and N64 are fucking tanks.

Also don’t like their non-refund policy.

I used to like Nintendo a lot more. I don’t love them but I like them a fair bit more than just "OK".

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37440 Posts

"Fake news! Nintendo wasn't relevant during the Wii U era!"

The price for citing NBC.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4939 Posts

Meh, they used to be cool. But they haven’t grown with gamers. They’ve remained stagnant while their competitors innovate/push technology and Nintendo milks their brand franchise’s. This is both good and bad.

They’re ok, but I’ve outgrown them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30701 Posts

I love Nintendo, have been a huge fan of theirs ever since the NES and will in all likelihood continue to be so for as long as they are around.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5670 Posts

Becoming an every day household name doesn't hurt relevance.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5846 Posts

Nintendo has built their empire on interesting, innovative hardware and great games. I don't see that changing.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15345 Posts

I don’t see how anyone could not respect Nintendo as a developer, even if their games aren’t to their tastes. I hold immense respect for them as a game maker. When firing on all cylinders, they’re untouchable.

As a company? Eh, I think they leave something to be desired. Their chronic refusal to view themselves as competing, their neglection of their IPs, their unwillingness to listen and stubbornness, their overly strict conservatism, their arrogance, their reticence to go in big with new properties more often, and many of their corporate policies and philosophies I find hold them back from their fullest potential.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16799 Posts

Nintendo hasn't been relevant since the N64, neither has their hardware or games.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21444 Posts

I'm still a Nintendo fan despite missing out on Wii U (and still haven't gotten a switch). My issue with Nintendo is how long they tend to keep the prices of their hardware/software at launch price. That particular practice has become so off-putting in recent years that I'm having a hard time wanting to support them...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3316 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I don’t see how anyone could not respect Nintendo as a developer, even if their games aren’t to their tastes. I hold immense respect for them as a game maker. When firing on all cylinders, they’re untouchable.

As a company? Eh, I think they leave something to be desired. Their chronic refusal to view themselves as competing, their neglection of their IPs, their unwillingness to listen and stubbornness, their overly strict conservatism, their arrogance, their reticence to go in big with new properties more often, and many of their corporate policies and philosophies I find hold them back from their fullest potential.

I wonder how many gamers actually care about the corporations behind the games, regardless of how they are run. There are corporate aspects of Nintendo I do not like, but that did not prevent me from enjoying its games. The same goes with gamers who dislike EA, Activision, Konami, Bethseda, etc. as corporations, but like their games.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

Millions of gullible McFlys...

'

lol :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25948 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Nintendo hasn't been relevant since the N64, neither has their hardware or games.

...in fairy tale land? Or are we just in full blown ignore mode?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 14788 Posts

@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:

...in fairy tale land? Or are we just in full blown ignore mode?

nintendo still milking same childish games like mario and zelda over like 3 decades.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 714 Posts

@davillain- said:

Nintendo makes good quality of games that tend to be far superior to Sony's offering in some areas. The only thing I don't like about Nintendo is their prices are insane!

If they're superior to Sony, imagine Microsoft.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15345 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I wonder how many gamers actually care about the corporations behind the games, regardless of how they are run. There are corporate aspects of Nintendo I do not like, but that did not prevent me from enjoying its games. The same goes with gamers who dislike EA, Activision, Konami, Bethseda, etc. as corporations, but like their games.

Corporate decisions and philosophy directly impact the products that exist and those that don't, and that's only to the degree I care about NCL.