Valve Teases Half-Life 2: Episode Three Debut

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

2010 !!!! Is Valve using the same code for Ep. 3 that Polyphony is using for GT5 ? :P

J/K but man I was thinking this may show up for 2009 - oh well, I'm sure it will be great when it gets here.

Valve Teases Half-Life 2: Episode Three Debut

by Chris Faylor Oct 14, 2008 8:59am CST tags: Half-Life 2: Episode ThreeBad news, Freeman fans. It looks like Half-Life 2: Episode Three won't arrive for a while--possibly 2010--going by an interview with Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi.

"The next time you play as Gordon will be longer than the distance between Half-Life 2 to Episode One, and Episode One to Episode Two," Lombardi told Kikizo when asked about Episode Three.

For reference, Half-Life 2 arrived in November 2004, with Episode One arriving nearly two years later in June 2006 and Episode Two following in October 2007.

However, the marketing VP offered one slight consolation, noting that the company "may [announce or show something] at the very end of the year."

Currently, Valve is putting the finishing touches on its cooperative zombie-killing shooter, Left 4 Dead, due November 18, with the studio continuing to work on updates for its ****based multiplayer shooter, Team Fortress 2.

MKLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MKLOL
Member since 2007 • 2080 Posts

Wow, that's really really really bad news :|

:|

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Valve: the company that makes a 4-5 hour episode in the time it takes other companies to make full sequels. But I guess that's why Valve's games are consistently good. :P
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Imo, the episode system has been a complete failure for Half Life. It completely defeats the purpose of episodes if you take 2 or 3 years for each one.

They could have developed a full game of Half Life 3 by now.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
Episodic Content: The future of gaming,eh?
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
Blah, Don't like Half-Life 2 :(
fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts
=( so far away. This game had better be longer than ep1 and 2 combined.
fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

Imo, the episode system has been a complete failure for Half Life. It completely defeats the purpose of episodes if you take 2 or 3 years for each one.

locopatho

Yeah, and it would've sucked like Halo does.

Vavle is about quality, and they do take their time. But as mentioned, they are working on two other games right now as well. Dont bash them because they realease greatness.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

You beat me to it.:P

locopatho

Well it depends look how long it took to develop HL2.. and the delays 1998 to 2004..... And it was pretty much in pre production right after HL1s release. A huge wait of course.

However HL3 will be in development after Ep3 apparantly, or so Doug Lombardi has suggested.

The Epsodic nature has failed badly though.

Goes to show, when your production values are so high, as is wanting to fine tuned everything to increadably high standards - quick development does not work at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
and i just finished episode 2 today!!!!!
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

fatzebra

Vavle is about quality, and they do take their time. But as mentioned, they are working on two other games right now as well. Dont bash them because they realease greatness.

I wouldn't be surprised if I prefered Halo rather than Half-Life 2, I need to try out Halo.

eyerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 eyerok
Member since 2004 • 10782 Posts
and this is on system wars because...?
RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

In my opinion Gabe's grand scheme for Episodic content has failed miserably.

I love HL2, I thought Ep. 1 was good, and I thought Ep. 2 was really good.... but it has been 4 full years since the original release of HL2. If Ep. 3 takes until 2010 it will have been more than five years. That is not how he made Episodic Content sound when he first talked about it years and years ago.

I want a full sequel already, I do not want to wait half a decade for 3 episodes of expansions.

I want HL3, a new version of Source, not just a new Episode every 2 years.

So because of this Episodic nonsense we probably won't see HL3 until 2014. GREAT!

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]

skrat_01

Well it depends look how long it took to develop HL2.. and the delays 1998 to 2004..... And it was pretty much in pre production right after HL1s release. A huge wait of course.

However HL3 will be in development after Ep3 apparantly, or so Doug Lombardi has suggested.

Goes to show, when your production values are so high, as is wanting to fine tuned everything to increadably high standards - quick development does not work at all.

I always thought the Episodes combined were effectively Half Life 3 and would tie up the story. Is there actually going to be a Half Life 3, a story continuation to Episode 3, and not just a spinoff?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]

fatzebra

Yeah slag Halo cos I have an Xbox tag, real mature :roll:

If they take 5 or 6 years to release a full new Half Life game that's fine. But they aren't. They're spending 5 - 6 years releasing small expansions to a 2004 game. Wtf like.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Damn, well it will be worth the wait.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice

and this is on system wars because...?eyerok
Multiplat, high profile title and I mixed a bit of GT5 dev time to spice up the SW thread.

Next question ? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts

I love HL2, I thought Ep. 1 was good, and I thought Ep. 2 was really good.... but it has been 4 full years since the original release of HL2. If Ep. 3 takes until 2010 it will have been more than five years. That is not how he made Episodic Content sound when he first talked about it years and years ago.

I want a full sequel already, I do not want to wait half a decade for 3 episodes of expansions.

RuprechtMonkey

what else do you want?

i'm all for demanding better results from developers (looking at you, SiliconKnights), but i think Valve has earned a little wiggle room. every game that they make is undeniably awesome, and i dont mind waiting a few years to get a great game.

I Quote miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="RuprechtMonkey"]

Awinagainov

what else do you want?

i'm all for demanding better results from developers (looking at you, SiliconKnights), but i think Valve has earned a little wiggle room. every game that they make is undeniably awesome, and i dont mind waiting a few years to get a great game.

I Quote miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Not gonna lie, Me Too. :cry:
RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RuprechtMonkey
[QUOTE="RuprechtMonkey"]

Awinagainov

what else do you want?

I would rather them began production on HL3 right after HL2, rather than making small Episodes every two years. Gabe's vision of Episodic content has been a failure. The reason he originally set down that path was so he could get them out faster, he promised fans that because they weren't developing full-fledged sequels (and continuing to use the same basic engine as in HL2) they could get them out much faster- hasn't been the case. Now we're having to wait years just to get a small episode's worth of content.

If they had began HL3 after HL2 we would be seeing a full, awesome sequel with a new version of Source soon. Now because they haven't we'll have to wait more and more years until HL3. It will be almost a decade between HL2 and HL3. That's not acceptable. I don't mind "Waiting a few years" either, waiting a decade is another matter.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Ugh, this is pathetic.

Valve, **** the episode. Just move straight into Half Life 3.

Episodes were for quick runs, not full blown production schedules.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]

whocares4peace

I always thought the Episodes combined were effectively Half Life 3 and would tie up the story. Is there actually going to be a Half Life 3, a story continuation to Episode 3, and not just a spinoff?

HL2 and the episodes are all set in the same realtively-short time frame, with Ep1 immediately following HL2 and Ep2 immediately following that. I would imagine Ep3 will immediately follow Ep2 chronologically. Whereas HL1, in relation to HL2, was set about a couple decades earlier. I would imagine that, once the HL2 storyline is tied up in Ep3, there will be another jump of story time before HL3 begins.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

I would rather them began production on HL3 right after HL2, rather than making small Episodes every two years. Gabe's vision of Episodic content has been a failure. The reason he originally set down that path was so he could get them out faster, he promised fans that because they weren't developing full-fledged sequels (and continuing to use the same basic engine as in HL2) they could get them out much faster- hasn't been the case. Now we're having to wait years just to get a small episode's worth of content.

If they had began HL3 after HL2 we would be seeing a full, awesome sequel with a new version of Source soon. Now because they haven't we'll have to wait more and more years until HL3. It will be almost a decade between HL2 and HL3. That's not acceptable. I don't mind "Waiting a few years" either, waiting a decade is another matter.

RuprechtMonkey

Why is it a failure?

If you think of the episodes collectively as a kind of Half-Life 3 (as has been suggested by Valve), you're getting content about equal to a full game, at very high quality, spread out over the time it would have taken them to release it as a single product. Have you already forgotten that it took Valve six years to make a sequel to Half-Life 1?

While the episodes haven't quite delivered in terms of cutting down development time, they're still coming significantly faster than if Valve had waited to make a full retail product, and they've all been uniformly excellent. I don't see what the problem here is.

You aren't going 10 years without a new game. You're getting one every year and a half, which is downright incredible given Valve's development cycles.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FrozenLiquid

Why is it a failure?

If you think of the episodes collectively as a kind of Half-Life 3 (as has been suggested by Valve), you're getting content about equal to a full game, at very high quality, spread out over the time it would have taken them to release it as a single product. Have you already forgotten that it took Valve six years to make a sequel to Half-Life 1?

While the episodes haven't quite delivered in terms of cutting down development time, they're still coming significantly faster than if Valve had waited to make a full retail product, and they've all been uniformly excellent. I don't see what the problem here is.

You aren't going 10 years without a new game. You're getting one every year and a half, which is downright incredible given Valve's development cycles.

sonicmj1

So Half Life 3 is the relatively small-scale cousin of Half Life 2?

I really don't want that to be true. Half Life 2 was the culmination of all current-gen technology up until that point. Half Life 3 should have that same effect.

Like really, Valve should blow our minds again single-handedly with one game.

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RuprechtMonkey
[QUOTE="RuprechtMonkey"]

sonicmj1

Why is it a failure?

Because while the Episodes have been good, a full fleshed out sequel they are not - even combined. And in my opinion Episode One was compartively weak.

If they had done this after the original HL, HL2 would have been released in small sections over 6 years and it would look virtually identical to HL1... and it would've been of a much smaller scale than the HL2 as we know it. That would've been awful. Think about that.

These are not "new games." They are tiny expansions that take two years. It has not been worth it, this brand of Episodic content has been a complete failure.

How are they coming out faster than a full retail product?!?!! Episode 3 will have been more than 5 full years since HL2 when it finally comes out, maybe closer to six. They could've made HL3 in that time.

I really don't want that to be true. Half Life 2 was the culmination of all current-gen technology up until that point. Half Life 3 should have that same effect.

FrozenLiquid

Exactly.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="RuprechtMonkey"]

sonicmj1

Why is it a failure?

Not everyone has the same level of patience. To quote a line from Larry the Cable Guy, "Hey, Jimi Hendrix is dead, and he still cranks out three a year. Speed it up!" Close the HL2 storyline already before we lose our patience and decide not to finish.

Besides, the Source engine is starting to show its age, and it's perhaps time Valve started work on Source's successor, perhaps one that supports GPGPU functions, multiple processors, and other recent innovations. Perhaps even a native Linux version, since that's starting to gain some much-needed maturity.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

I like the episodes.

And remember, during this whole time, Valve Has released Portal, Team Fortress 2, and they are working on Left 4 Dead. If they began to work on the successor to Half Life 2 after it was completed, we would not of seen any of these releases. Right now they are split up into many teams, one working on TF2 Content, One Working on Left 4 Dead, and presumably, one working on Episode 3.

If Half Life 3 was being made, it would require their full attention.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HuusAsking

I like the episodes.

And remember, during this whole time, Valve Has released Portal, Team Fortress 2, and they are working on Left 4 Dead. If they began to work on the successor to Half Life 2 after it was completed, we would not of seen any of these releases. Right now they are split up into many teams, one working on TF2 Content, One Working on Left 4 Dead, and presumably, one working on Episode 3.

Jodan77
Some people would prefer it that way. They don't care about Portal or TF2 or any of that. They just want the HL2 story done.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FrozenLiquid

I like the episodes.

Jodan77

Not really. The core team that made Half Life 1 made Half Life 2. Almost all the other games they've made, save Team Fortress 2, was not the core team from Valve. Those students at DigiPen made Portal, and Turtle Rock Studios made Left 4 Dead. I doubt, with the huge team Valve has acquired now, that all of them would have worked on each title.

But of course, they've also been maintaining Steam, so that could be where their resources are going.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

FrozenLiquid

I absolutely agree with that. and that is why I am glad they decided to make the episodes expansions instead of calling it HL3. Because they almost did that. Source is getting old, they ought to make a new engine from scratch for HL3, IMO.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
it will take them 2 years to make another boring game
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jodan77
[QUOTE="Jodan77"]

I like the episodes.

HuusAsking

Some people would prefer it that way. They don't care about Portal or TF2 or any of that. They just want the HL2 story done.

But what would we do without Half Life :cry:

But on a serious note, that long without Valve releasing games would hurt. Team Fortess 2 is currently my most played game, and I can't imagine what gaming would be like without Portal, maybe not the best game ever, but surely one of the most unique. And you know how I feel about Left 4 Dead.

Valve said the risk in making Half Life 2 was large, it took 6 years of development, and who knows how much money. While it obviously paid off for them, Imagine if they would do it now, with developers everywhere citing how expensive it is to make games today. They would need to sell even more copies.

EDIT: Ok you have a point that Valve did not make Left 4 Dead, but if they were developing Half Life 3 at the time, they probably would not have of had the funds to acquire TRS. This is just an assumption.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Well besides Valve sucking with there timing of these episodes

they are fun

and i am looking forward to this.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 organic_machine
Valve said the risk in making Half Life 2 was large, it took 6 years of development, and who knows how much money. While it obviously paid off for them, Imagine if they would do it now, with developers everywhere citing how expensive it is to make games today. They would need to sell even more copies.Jodan77

Doug Lombardi said this exactly:

"There was this trajectory with Half-Life 1 costing a lot less than that, and taking two years or whatever it took. HL2 was six years and a lot more money, so if we were to keep going down that path it was going to get more expensive, and take even longer. And what we wanted was an alternative to that. We wanted to deliver the games more quickly, and we didn't want to be taking the risk of $40 million or $50 million to make the thing, because at that point you're like, 'oh my god we have to sell 2 million copies or else we're ****ed', right?"Doug Lombardi

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
I can wait forever.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01

I always thought the Episodes combined were effectively Half Life 3 and would tie up the story. Is there actually going to be a Half Life 3, a story continuation to Episode 3, and not just a spinoff?whocares4peace
Most probably fully fleged sequal continuing on from Ep3.

Ugh, this is pathetic.

Valve, **** the episode. Just move straight into Half Life 3. Whatever time frame who knows (like HL2)

Episodes were for quick runs, not full blown production schedules.

FrozenLiquid

Im sure they would, as it has been pretty much made clear, they dont want it interfering with L4D.

Id much rather see a fully fleged sequal but hey, what can you do, they arent beating the epsodic horse afterwards, and of course there are other titles in the works (Counter Strike 2 for instance).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skrat_01
[QUOTE="Jodan77"]Valve said the risk in making Half Life 2 was large, it took 6 years of development, and who knows how much money. While it obviously paid off for them, Imagine if they would do it now, with developers everywhere citing how expensive it is to make games today. They would need to sell even more copies.organic_machine

Doug Lombardi said this exactly:

"There was this trajectory with Half-Life 1 costing a lot less than that, and taking two years or whatever it took. HL2 was six years and a lot more money, so if we were to keep going down that path it was going to get more expensive, and take even longer. And what we wanted was an alternative to that. We wanted to deliver the games more quickly, and we didn't want to be taking the risk of $40 million or $50 million to make the thing, because at that point you're like, 'oh my god we have to sell 2 million copies or else we're ****ed', right?"Doug Lombardi

In all due respect an IP like Half Life will generate enough momentum on its title alone to sell X amount - as what big name IPs do.

I see his point, but you cant keep evolving the same technology into yearly episodes for such a game, especially when other titles in the genre will simply stride ahead and evolve even further than just baby steps and refinement of a set formula.

The Episodes and HL2 got lucky this gen.... Its knowhere as outdated as it should be, especially considering the time frame. Says alot about the current state in the genre.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
I hate the whole EP BS, EP1 was terrible.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 organic_machine

The Episodes and HL2 got lucky this gen.... Its knowhere as outdated as it should be, especially considering the time frame. Says alot about the current state in the genre.

skrat_01

Yeah, I agree. It's kinda ironic that the biggest FPS this gen, CoD 4, is a 2003 game with shiny graphix. Same one-path, one way level design. At least the HL2 series, with it's also linear levels, encourages players to play the game differently.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
They should of just made the episodes HL3 on a newer engine. Source is dated now, graphically and its netcode SUCKS.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

C'mon Valve. This is unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed HL2 as well as Ep 1 + 2, but releasing Ep 3 in 2010 just destroys the concept of episodic content.

I can understand why it's taking long (L4D development, maintaining/updating Steam), but if it was going to take this long then Valve would've been better off making Half Life 3 instead.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I hate the whole EP BS, EP1 was terrible.FirstDiscovery
But Ep2 was amazing and Ep3 should hopefully be better then Ep2. I also liked Episode 1.
Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jodan77
Episode 1 started off good, but soon became repetitive after you got out of the underground.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Yeah, this, folks, is why I have been against Valve's episodic approqch. I'm waiting nearly the same amount of time for an EPISODE as I do a full-fledged game. Kinda defeats the whole point, neh?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]I hate the whole EP BS, EP1 was terrible.Nintendo_Ownes7
But Ep2 was amazing and Ep3 should hopefully be better then Ep2. I also liked Episode 1.

Half of EP1 was spent in the darkness, and as with the HL2, all the outdoor areas hint large scale action but never deliver. TBH, i didnt like either game much

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice

Yeah, this, folks, is why I have been against Valve's episodic appraoch. I'm waiting nearly the same amount of time for an EPISODE as I do a full-fledged game.Verge_6
This seems to be the consensus and I sorta agree. If one episode was released every year, that could be sweet but if the length of time grows to 2 and 3 years, yeah, give us a brand new game me thinks.

Though I must say; I can't wait to actually play a new or sorta new :P HL2.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]I hate the whole EP BS, EP1 was terrible.FirstDiscovery

Half of EP1 was spent in the darkness, and as with the HL2, all the outdoor areas hint large scale action but never deliver. TBH, i didnt like either game much

Ep1 was a big let down, and while Ep2 was MUCH more enjoyable, I also found myself a bit disappointed with how linear the game still was, even though it was set in a large mountain region.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 organic_machine
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]I hate the whole EP BS, EP1 was terrible.Verge_6

Ep1 was a big let down, and while Ep2 was MUCH more enjoyable, I also found myself a bit disappointed with how linear the game still was, even though it was set in a large mountain region.

Especially since the gameplay videos showed a wolrd that was very open. But the only part of the game that was actually open was that trider part at the end. I emailed Gabe about it and he agreed. Open-ness seems to be the way of the future.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FrozenLiquid

Especially since the gameplay videos showed a wolrd that was very open. But the only part of the game that was actually open was that trider part at the end. I emailed Gabe about it and he agreed. Open-ness seems to be the way of the future.

organic_machine

You can e-mail Gabe?

Was he not happy with Episode 2?