Valve killed consoles.... (re-written for the mods)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

....word.

So the Steam controller and Link should remove the final remnants of console clutter from your TV cabinet. 1080p and 60 FPS is only a dream for you consolites.

Wake-on-lan (WOL) features mean that, from complete power off (S5 at least), just turning on a Steam controller switches your TV input, wakes your computer and loads you into Steam...the convenience of a console on your PC.

The Steam controller allows you to use the PC in gaming mode (big picture mode) as per the consoles or PC mode as per your normal desktop, without needing to switch control type and without the hideous inaccuracy of a standard console controller (for mouse like actions). Entire genres of games that consoles do not handle well and yet are perfect for playing on the couch (with or without friends) are now open to you without a cumbersome device laden sofa.

You can customise (or your friends) controls to suit any playing preference you (or they) have and fine tweak every setting you could realistically need to improve your gaming experience. It's not perfect (yet) and does require initial setup for your games but the results are miraculous. I've even found a perfect setup for racing games and the idea of going back to a standard controller after is laughable! (tapping the stick to turn corners always felt rubbish).

Your decision should be quite easy. Not paying to play online, not paying premium prices for games, not locked to specific hardware and I don't have problems with backwards compatibility. Oh and the link allows you to use the Steam, Xbox, PS4 or whatever controller you want (simultaneously I might add) and all from a box no bigger than a portable external HDD.

All that is left for the consoles are the 1 or maybe 2 exclusives you might want to play in a year...and that just isn't enough to even feel like you're missing out. For me, the consoles have been outconsoled by the PC! I just think it's a shame many will ignore it because they simply don't understand or haven't the patience (maybe brain power) to learn a new control technique.

Oh and the PS4 sucks, the XBone has a stupid name, PC gaming is great and the final question for you to answer is;

What excuse have you got for not switching to the glorious PC master race?

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@1080pOnly: What wheel have you got? I have the thrustmaster TX... I personally prefer a monitor for Racing :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34419 Posts

The combo of PC + Wii-U makes the Xbone and PS4 the most unnecessary consoles ever made. Xbone and PS4 already was laughably bad, now they're even worse. I'll never understand why people waste money on that crap..

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1080pOnly

@tushar172787: Nice! I love that wheel, it's the one my friend has. Personally I had to do away with wheels because I simply didn't have the right kind of setup to use it effectively. Racing games are so much better played that way (and on a 144hz monitor) but I mostly want to play them with friends sat on the sofa .... and without having a whole setup its just not worth it. What I liked about the pad for racing was that I could use the right haptic pad as accelerate and brake with very, very fine control over it. This also means you aren't using your left hand to both steer and brake at the same time, something that was actually making me bad at racing on a pad. Takes a lot of getting used to though.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tushar172787

@1080pOnly said:

@tushar172787: Nice! I love that wheel, it's the one my friend has. Personally I had to do away with wheels because I simply didn't have the right kind of setup to use it effectively. Racing games are so much better played that way (and on a 144hz monitor) but I mostly want to play them with friends sat on the sofa .... and without having a whole setup its just not worth it. What I liked about the pad for racing was that I could use the right haptic pad as accelerate and brake with very, very fine control over it. This also means you aren't using your left hand to both steer and brake at the same time, something that was actually making me bad at racing on a pad. Takes a lot of getting used to though.

Absolutely agree, I felt uncomfortable while playing on a sofa with my wheel. I play Trackmania Nations with my keyboard and I recommend you to swap the down (brake) button with the space button, and brake with your left hand. Also, a brilliant post, well done!

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

I've tried the pc thing. It's still too fiddley to compare to console gaming imo, even with big picture mode on a TV. I find myself having to run back to the keyboard all the time, especially between games. It's not seemless yet. Also I don't like how much control steam has over the games I buy from them. And I don't like the lack of physical media.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Traditional Console gaming is gone. New Consoles are a lot more like PCs and PCs have become more accessible in recent years.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Litchie: So you need a combo to match the PS4 and you still don't have there exclusives..... No thanks.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I haven't purchased a Steam Link yet, but I will definitely get around to it. My only concern is the Steam Controller. I'm hearing not so good things. I was hoping the track pad would be as good as a mouse.

ChrisAnetkaC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 341

#10 ChrisAnetkaC
Member since 2004 • 726 Posts

LOL! Very good post, you should give speeches at the UN assembly. I'm a PC gamer but also own an XBox 360, have been leaning towards the latter for the past 2 years. And now starting to lean back. So your post does not offend me. What minimum power PC elephant do you need to let you sail in every game Steam can offer using the Steam Link? I have old games on discs and have had a Steam account for a long time but no games yet.

Here are some super recent quotes about this thing I found:

"If you're on the edge about this device, I suggest waiting until some much needed firmware updates are released, because as of right now I wish we hadn't pre-ordered."

"This product feels so alpha, that it should not even be sold.. It has completely tainted my view of steam.. It is a useless device if you want to play over the wifi, also i hope you dont have multiple monitors on the computer you plan on using. Right now when i try steam unless i literally disable the other monitor steam link will show both of my screens on my tv, Its a pain to deal with. finally controller support at the moment is terrible unless you want to use the steam controller"

Can you comment on these?

Thanks for starting this discussion but I'm afraid you should have waited a few more months.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55821 Posts

Well my excuse is that I made lots of friends on PSN/XBL that I enjoy gaming on my current-gen consoles, I'm not missing out anything that comes my way, and my PC is just a bonus to play alone for the most parts.

Sorry but being a PC gamer alone doesn't cut it for me, I'm a gamer first and foremost.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Valve should try harder and even then it won't succeed!!!

If by now you still did not realize that it's not about power and all the stupid things that pc guys like to brag about : fps/res/etc...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

why did you have to re-write this thread, it doesnt seem any different the first one.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@1080pOnly: Price TC, what is the price Valve is charging to annihilate current gen consoles?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178793 Posts

PC doesn't get all the games I want....and while I have a gaming PC....I don't use it much for gaming. Consoles dude.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

No thanks. I tried the PC gaming thing. There's no way to have a PC do what a console does right out the box without spending an inordinate amount of time and money. New games cost exactly the same. Occasionally there's a Steam sale on some dud game but there are just as many sales on PSN or XBL, plus I can sell, trade, borrow or lend console games. Can't do that on PC. But most of all it's about the games. I'll take Bloodborne and Uncharted over LoL and Starcraft any day of the week. Oh and multiplats. Yeah when I built a gaming PC, after all that hassle I expected the difference to be like night and day, some sort of transformative experience like all the Hermits claim day in and day out. But it wasn't. After all that time and energy I wasted the difference was negligible. Multiplats are built to run on consoles, and having some overpriced PC to run console games is like buying a battleship to go fishing: a waste.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Litchie
@AM-Gamer said:

@Litchie: So you need a combo to match the PS4 and you still don't have there exclusives..... No thanks.

I did not say you need those to match the PS4. That would be weird, as the PS4 sucks.

Yeah, all those exclusives. Heaps and heaps of awesome exclusives. They are called Bloodborne. But hey, play through Bloodborne 10 times and PS4 should be worth it.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Yeah PlayStation 4 is just about dead. What a stupid topic.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tushar172787

@StrongBlackVine said:

Yeah PlayStation 4 is just about dead. What a stupid topic.

Who said PS4 was dead?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@tushar172787: Topic says Valve killed consoles. Steam Machines are irrelevant.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1080pOnly

@ChrisAnetkaC said:

LOL! Very good post, you should give speeches at the UN assembly. I'm a PC gamer but also own an XBox 360, have been leaning towards the latter for the past 2 years. And now starting to lean back. So your post does not offend me. What minimum power PC elephant do you need to let you sail in every game Steam can offer using the Steam Link? I have old games on discs and have had a Steam account for a long time but no games yet.

Here are some super recent quotes about this thing I found:

"If you're on the edge about this device, I suggest waiting until some much needed firmware updates are released, because as of right now I wish we hadn't pre-ordered."

"This product feels so alpha, that it should not even be sold.. It has completely tainted my view of steam.. It is a useless device if you want to play over the wifi, also i hope you dont have multiple monitors on the computer you plan on using. Right now when i try steam unless i literally disable the other monitor steam link will show both of my screens on my tv, Its a pain to deal with. finally controller support at the moment is terrible unless you want to use the steam controller"

Can you comment on these?

Thanks for starting this discussion but I'm afraid you should have waited a few more months.

It isn't perfect but the latest updates really have improved things. Like all new technology though, and this is very 'new' in both design and concept, if you are not comfortable with a few bugs then wait a few months. I was amazed how good it was out of the box though and setting the thing up was a snap! They fixed the dual monitor thing, it now works better than I could of imagined. I'm running am i5 3750K and a Radeon 290 - nothing amazing but it runs anything I've thrown at it on max settings, 1080p and 60 FPS solid.

@sayyy-gaa said:

@1080pOnly: Price TC, what is the price Valve is charging to annihilate current gen consoles?

£40 for the Link, same for the controller. You can use the link without the Pad but to get full use I advise both. Less that the cost of the yearly COD update + season pass :P.

@thehig1 said:

why did you have to re-write this thread, it doesnt seem any different the first one.

Too 'bloggy' the first time....oh I don't know, I just go with what the mods say.

@Pray_to_me said:

No thanks. I tried the PC gaming thing. There's no way to have a PC do what a console does right out the box without spending an inordinate amount of time and money. New games cost exactly the same. Occasionally there's a Steam sale on some dud game but there are just as many sales on PSN or XBL, plus I can sell, trade, borrow or lend console games. Can't do that on PC. But most of all it's about the games. I'll take Bloodborne and Uncharted over LoL and Starcraft any day of the week. Oh and multiplats. Yeah when I built a gaming PC, after all that hassle I expected the difference to be like night and day, some sort of transformative experience like all the Hermits claim day in and day out. But it wasn't. After all that time and energy I wasted the difference was negligible. Multiplats are built to run on consoles, and having some overpriced PC to run console games is like buying a battleship to go fishing: a waste.

You can now share your entire library with friends and family if you wish. They just can't play the same game at the same time you are....a bit like lending a disk on console. New games don't cost the same and don't have to be bought through Steam in order to use Steam. If Uncharted is your thing then cool, stick with the PS4. Those games no longer interest me after playing the first 2. Multiplats designed to run on consoles? Tell that to all the Fallout fans.

@AM-Gamer said:

Only if you want to play Mario n stuff without emulation. Having a PC is already like clubbing the PS4 to death on the ice, having a Wii with it is akin to urinating on the carcass after.....unnecessary but still fun.

@sovkhan said:

Valve should try harder and even then it won't succeed!!!

If by now you still did not realize that it's not about power and all the stupid things that pc guys like to brag about : fps/res/etc...

And apparently you don't realise that this thread isn't about PC power but about something new that Valve has brought to gaming.

@intotheminx said:

I haven't purchased a Steam Link yet, but I will definitely get around to it. My only concern is the Steam Controller. I'm hearing not so good things. I was hoping the track pad would be as good as a mouse.

You have to spend some time with it personally before you can really judge, it's such a shift in the way you do things that most people are put off to start with. Sadly human beings are not very patient.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 1080pOnly

@Sali217 said:

I've tried the pc thing. It's still too fiddley to compare to console gaming imo, even with big picture mode on a TV. I find myself having to run back to the keyboard all the time, especially between games. It's not seemless yet. Also I don't like how much control steam has over the games I buy from them. And I don't like the lack of physical media.

With the Steam controller you don't ever have to run back to your keyboard. In fact with WOL features I haven't have to go to my physical PC since I got these things set up. You're right that it isn't seamless yet, but the key word here is yet. Some things I can now do that I couldn't before:

1. Use a real internet browser on my TV but with a controller - this means I can use a proxy and watch Netflix from around the world, stream any TV service or music service and browse any site without compatibility issues.

2. Switch seamlessly between big picture mode and desktop mode and control either with the same device. It even auto switches profiles for you so you become mouse and keyboard or gamepad, trackpad or indeed anything else you want whenever the game or mode changes.

3. Play any PC game from the 90's onwards with a pad. Play old school RPG's or RTS with a pad or turn it into a joystick for a flight sim...endless possibilities.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@1080pOnly: I didn't see anything wrong with your first post thought you made a valid point, and set the stage for console players to give reasons why they disagree.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@thehig1 said:

@1080pOnly: I didn't see anything wrong with your first post thought you made a valid point, and set the stage for console players to give reasons why they disagree.

Games. And this is just another insecure SW thread......the platform I have is the ultimate.....blah blah blah. Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If that ruffles TC feathers.....good.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@davillain- said:

I'm a gamer first and foremost.

In the need to always declare a "winner", fanboys seem to forget that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@dalger21 said:
@davillain- said:

I'm a gamer first and foremost.

In the need to always declare a "winner", fanboys seem to forget that.

That's the entire premise of SW though. Which is why I like to see melt downs.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tushar172787

@LJS9502_basic said:
@thehig1 said:

Games. And this is just another insecure SW thread......the platform I have is the ultimate.....blah blah blah. Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If that ruffles TC feathers.....good.

Exactly, PC has more games

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@Litchie said:

The combo of PC + Wii-U makes the Xbone and PS4 the most unnecessary consoles ever made. Xbone and PS4 already was laughably bad, now they're even worse. I'll never understand why people waste money on that crap..

Exclusives are the only reason for me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Litchie

@ten_pints said:
@Litchie said:

Exclusives are the only reason for me.

I get that, but what exclusives are we talking about here? So far there's Halo 5 on Xbone, which I've heard isn't even that good, and there's Bloodborne on PS4. The rest seems like either remakes or games found better on PC. What exclusives are there for Xbone and PS4 that are so damn important and worth the purchase of said consoles?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Lets try and cut through your crap

Consoles do nothing out of the box these days, other than update to newer O/S version from the one that was installed in the factory. That can take several hours, depending on your connection

PC gaming is as expensive as YOU want it to be. An i3 and 750Ti are more powerful than a PS4

Lol console games are the same price as PC games, there's a reason console start with 'con', Show me where you can get console games for the same prices as here.

Games are your own opinion and that's your prerogative

I don't believe you even know which way round a CPU goes. let alone that you've built a PC

You obviously never played any game on Ultra settings and high resolutions

To use a line that a certain PC troll loves, 99% of multiplatform games are best on PC, That's fact, not opinion

I like Shark fishing, you're not doing that in an inflatable dingy.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

1. Console games now take longer to patch, download, update, and install. They load much longer and run like shit usually. There is no more convenience factor.

2. Steam >>>>>>>> XBL+PSN combined.

3. Multiplats are built to run on consoles? WHAT THE ****!? Multiplats this year have been considerably night and day vs console. Have you seen Fallout4 on consoles? 10 fps.... 15 minute load times on just cause 3 on low? Shit like this: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ac-syndicate-graphics-on-pc-vs-ps4-32776073/#40 ? Battlefront ultra vs low? WHAT!

4. I agree with your genre comment. If you don't like PC genres and Multiplats then you are entitled to your opinions and PC is not for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@intotheminx said:

The Steam controller thus far for me is amazing with Metal Gear Solid 5.. It took maybe 8 hours to get the hang of it, but now I feel far more accurate than I ever would with a regular gamepad..

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Consoles killing themselves when have a direction to become more like PC for every gen. I miss the old days with no DLC, no online, no patches, just insert disc/game and play right away.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AM-Gamer

@1080pOnly: Actually consoles still offer a far more seamless experience then PC.

I also actually enjoy owning my games

I enjoy the exclusives

So no PC has very little interest to me.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AM-Gamer

@Litchie: That's what happens when you don't play games and simple look at ratings assigned to a title.

There's Bloodborne, Infamous SS, Everybody's gone to the rapture. PS exclusives such as the entire Uncharted series, TloU, GoW3, Journey and lots coming next year.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58103 Posts

I think I will wait a while before taking the plunge into PC gaming on my TV. Gaming at my desk is preferable at the moment; I also do not like controllers (unless its a proper flight stick), much prefer mouse and keyboard.'

Absolutely no desire to game on consoles, though. I mean it'd be fun to game with my friend, but he doesn't do that much any more to begin with. The exclusives don't appeal to me, either; games like Bloodborne or Bayonetta or, or....ummmm, how many real exclusives (from PC) do you guys get now? lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie

@AM-Gamer said:

@Litchie: That's what happens when you don't play games and simple look at ratings assigned to a title.

There's Bloodborne, Infamous SS, Everybody's gone to the rapture. PS exclusives such as the entire Uncharted series, TloU, GoW3, Journey and lots coming next year.

So, ignoring the 6 remakes you felt you had to list, there's also Infamous, EGTRR and a new Uncharted in addition to Bloodborne. Got it. At least there's 4 games then. Still not even slightly impressive, but better than 1.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Valve just killed CSGO this evening

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AM-Gamer

@Litchie: Well I'd take any them them over the standard moba, mmo, RTS release on PC as would most console gamers.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Litchie

@AM-Gamer said:

@Litchie: Well I'd take any them them over the standard moba, mmo, RTS release on PC as would most console gamers.

I'm a PC gamer and I agree. I'm not a fan of either of those genres. Luckily, there's a shitload of games of all genres on PC.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

I am not gonna hook up a controller into my PC... I've got a PS4 for that.
When I game on PC I am using Mouse+keyboard for obvious reasons.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7681 Posts

@V3rciS said:

Why not? I rather play witcher/dark souls/etc with controller, shooters etc with kb+mouse. Why not choose the best fitting input device when you have the power to choose?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29820 Posts

Nah.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7681 Posts

@lostrib said:

Valve just killed CSGO this evening

I was a bit baffled about this until I got home and read the patch notes, yep...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@V3rciS said:

Why not? I rather play witcher/dark souls/etc with controller, shooters etc with kb+mouse. Why not choose the best fitting input device when you have the power to choose?

neither of those games play better with a controller...

It's like people trying to tell me Assassins Creed or Third Person shooters play better with a controller... they really don't....

hansbeej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hansbeej
Member since 2014 • 320 Posts

I've been using a Steam Link and controller since they released in the US. The entire package of Steam Big Picture, controller support, etc, still has a long way to go. And honestly, I find the controller leaves much to be desired. It's awkward using it for anything other than RTS games like Civ 5 and City SkyLines. The layout is just abysmal and despite fine tuning the touch pad never quite feels right.

I use my PS4/Dualshock 4 controller instead.