Valve attempting to fight Exclusivity deals

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Valve has a new method to fight exclusivity deals, especially the deals made for Oculus Rift and Playstation VR.

The Co-founder of Vive VR Headset, Gabe Newell, has stated they are willing to give VR developers loans in the form of "Pre-Paid Steam Revenue" which the developers are happy to use as they wish. Also mentioning that Exclusivity deals arent a good idea for customers or developers.

Source

Thoughts?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm indifferent.

Gabe is going to do what's best for Gabe and Steam. Another day, another business.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

We need more men like Gabe in this industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This guy's a spin doctor. He hates exclusives because it hurts his platform. Another businessman ceo just without a suit or a clean shaven face.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@mjorh said:

No, thanks.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58860 Posts

VR exclusivity at such an early stage where many people are not or have little interest in adopting is counterproductive.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Don't care about PS VR since it's a closed system and they can do whatever the f**k they want. What worries me is what Oculus trying to do with VR with Oculus exclusive games which is against the very concept of PC gaming. No games or content should be exclusive to a particular vendor's peripheral.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

This guy's a spin doctor. He hates exclusives because it hurts his platform. Another businessman ceo just without a suit or a clean shaven face.

But the fact his hate of exclusives helps gamers get a more centralized source for their games and a unified community, is technically still a benefit to gamers.

That said, I am definitely starting to see the benefits of GOG as well.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

Don't care about PS VR since it's a closed system and they can do whatever the f**k they want. What worries me is what Oculus trying to do with VR with Oculus exclusive games which is against the very concept of PC gaming. No games or content should be exclusive to a particular vendor's peripheral.

This is also why I'd pick Vive if I were to buy a VR headset now.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Sony take notes

NaturallyEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 NaturallyEvil
Member since 2005 • 559 Posts

Indifferent, because Oculus is not the problem, and Gabe is not the solution. As much as nobody wants to admit it, gamers are the problem. If people didn't keep buying it, companies wouldn't be able to keep doing it. It's nice that Gabe is trying to do something different, but unless he can make people value their money more, even single-handedly stopping their exclusivity wouldn't make much difference. Oculus or EA or MS or whoever the current "Satan" of gaming us would just think of some new horrible thing to do, and people would be stupid enough to buy into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Indeed.

What's funny is so many PC games noawadays are exclusive to steam, and require steam to function in Multiplayer (Total War comes to mind) .... hes no different.

I remember when internet-warriors were complaining about Windows Store's existance (despite every other company having one) ... and then praising Gabe/Notch for saying negative crap about "monopoly" ... yes gabe... your platform is the current monopoly... and many of our games are forced onto your platform... you giant hypocrit.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@mjorh said:

lol

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

For the people that are so negative of Gabes logic ... go buy all VR headsets then so you can play all games and keep blaming Gabe for him being hypocrite or whatever. Epic logic

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@AzatiS said:

For the people that are so negative of Gabes logic ... go buy all VR headsets then so you can play all games and keep blaming Gabe for him being hypocrite or whatever. Epic logic

So Gabe isn't going to make any money?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think that in the next ten years, we will see VR headsets married to their own hardware rather than tethered to a PC. For now, though, exclusivity does seem counterproductive but if the companies are willing to help oay for development then its their call

rakadewa19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rakadewa19
Member since 2015 • 104 Posts

Since I hate facebook, I hope Vive crush Rift.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

That....seems like an extremely shitty deal. Banks and bank-type systems (loans) are never, EVER, good for the ones requesting said loans.

Should you do it and should your game not make the amount of money needed, you're in deep trouble.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#19 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I want Gabe Newell to attempt at making something Half Life. The ugliest cock tease in history......

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44549 Posts

Microsoft should consider the same thing for some of the games they're missing out on.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Valve kind of has its own vested interest in VR. I wouldn't speculate that they are being benevolent towards the situation.

Companies are in the industry to make money. Whatever works for Steam will be Valves position.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

not a bad idea though ideally this shouldnt be necessary. but it looks like a warchest will be required to slap some manners into oculus.

the whole exclusivity nonsense betwen peripherals (and they are peripheral. they are not platforms just gadgets...like a monitor or a controller) has to stop. we dont win, developers dont win and, in the end, oculus wont win either.

oculus just need to focus on delivering a device that can do VR well. thats it. thats their job.

when i do get a VR headset (hopefully next year) though itll be the vive as oculus's behaviour has been unacceptable. it is vitally important for the PC as a platform that this kind of crap gets nipped in the bud.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Swimming with the sharks.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

...And Valve wants to know why Steam Machines or even SteamOS isn't growing.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Gabe must be shitting in his parachute sized underwear now that MS is making all these maneuvers to Hijack PC gaming from them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@nethernova said:
@mjorh said:

No, thanks.

And especially when he has exclusives early on

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Pray_to_me: actually, it would appear that MS Studios will publish games to Steam again. Oddly enough, I really like that particular move.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

So who has a completely open platform? GOG is the closest that comes to mind. The vive isn't any more open than Occulus because other companies are allowed to create VR headsets for the Oculus platform just as they are for the Steam VR platform but if they don't use the Oculus platform, they are locked out. HTC has the deal with Valve, for whatever reason not Oculus, likely cause they won't pay the license fee. It's not the Rift that has exclusive games, it's the Oculus platform. And what other platform has exclusive titles? Oh, SteamVR...that's right. The difference with the Oculus platform is that a company needs licenses to develop VR headsets and allegedly they are open to other hardware makers which is why they lock out Vive and other headsets because they can work around getting license and leaves a big loop hole. Since they don't charge developers for making Oculus games, they have to keep revenue somewhere which is in licensing hardware development including the sales of their own. People misunderstand their marketing position, they did not intend on being just another hardware competitor for whatever reason.

Developers are free to create games for both SteamVR and Oculus. Likewise, companies can make VR headsets for SteamVR or Oculus...perhaps even both? Razor's VR is actually open source.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

He's preparing for MS to come after Valve.

@Pray_to_me said:

Gabe must be shitting in his parachute sized underwear now that MS is making all these maneuvers to Hijack PC gaming from them.

brut4l

come on is that necessary though?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@AzatiS said:

So Gabe isn't going to make any money?

I told you already , keep talking trash and go buy all headsets in order to be able to play all VR games just because the hypocrite Gabe is going to make money out of it. Epic logic !

Human beings afterall !

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

He just wants his cut...fat bastard.