Value for money (Freebies need not apply)

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14042 Posts

What games have you spent the least amount of cash on, but the most time with?

I'm a bargain gamer . In fact, it seems we're all tightening our belts these days. Help a gamer out!

Having said that, what games have you spent the least on, but the most time with?

I have two: The Binding of Isaac (plus DLC), and Vampire Survivors (Plus DLC).

Stand alone, both games are a great value. But add in the reasonably priced DLC? Holy cow! We're talking hundreds of hours of gameplay for less than half the cost of a boring twenty hour AAA.

Any recommendations? Let's help each other out here.

Go!

(Hardwenzen brought up a good point, like usual. I'm not talking about waiting for a sale. Full priced game vs. Hours spent.)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40995 Posts

If i am looking forward to play a game, and wait years for it to come out, i don't waste additional months or years to play it, so i usually get em full price. Because of that, i can't even think of any cheap games that i spent a lot of time on.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 getyeryayasout

@hardwenzen: I'm not necessarily talking about waiting for a sale. I was thinking of games sold at full cost, offering the most game play hours.

What's yours?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40995 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

@hardwenzen: I'm not necessarily talking about waiting for a sale. I was thinking of games sold at full cost, offering the most game play hours.

What's yours?

Well, since i am not someone who tries to play everything that's coming out like SolidGame_basic, games that i do get, i usually stick to them for a very long time. Looking at steam, i see 695.5h on BG3 lol. At least 50h of it was the game running in the background while i was doing other stuff, but still, that's a metric ton of hours for a singleplayer game. Elden Ring at around 880h, and with the dlc, i see myself easily going over 1k hours on it (if i wasn't into pvp, tho, i wouldn't be anywhere near those numbers). The latest game that i got a decent amount of hours in is Helldivers 2, which sits at 148.6h.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1680 Posts

With Steam, there's always a sale going on, which means the lure to purchase yet another game to add to your library that you may never play due to having too many purchases.

The games that have always given me 100-380hrs of gaming has and probably always will be the Elden Soulsborne games. ;) FromSoftware captured magic that they seemingly are always able to replicate and add upon. But I don't have the same taste in games as most, and it's hard for me to find a game that I'll actually enjoy. Last one was Alan Wake 2 that, though I put 40-50hrs in it, I won't go back to anytime soon, because for me it was the narrative. :)

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 getyeryayasout

@hardwenzen: You get your monies worth. Respect. I need to grab BG3.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 18015 Posts

Between Game Pass and Epic Games Store freebies, you can play a lot with little to no money. There are always cheap keys on the key sites too. Then there is the free to play trash. LOL

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 45011 Posts

I mainly just buy AAA games at launch. Usually AA or smaller I’ll either get on sale or from some kind of service subscription offer. Off the top of my head head some games that I’ve purchased full price where I’ve gotten the most playtime on are:

- Street Fighter II (SNES)

- Killer Instinct Gold (N64)

- Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

- Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360)

- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Xbox One)

They were all due to the multiplayer aspect both offline and online.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34969 Posts

Yeah, Binding of Isaac for sure. Been playing it since the OG and I still play it pretty regularly. 1000+ hours.

BlazeRush. A car combat game, has online so you can play with friends. 300+ hours.

Slay the Spire, nearing 300 hours.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 getyeryayasout

@Litchie: I'm 1000+ hours in to The Binding of Isaac, and still am amazed at how little I understand the game. I love it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23282 Posts

I bought no man's sky for 30 bucks and got nearly 200 hrs of gameplay before checking out.

The old MVP baseball 2005... Played hundreds of games and a dozen seasons. Loved it and miss it so much.

The mass effect trilogy. Beat each game in every imaginable way. Different classes, insane difficulty and renegade/paragon runs as well.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MyCatIsMilk

@TheEroica: I've been seeing No Man's Sky on sale on Steam recently. Looks interesting, but I never commit to purchasing it. I'll need to watch some vids.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

@mycatismilk said:

@TheEroica: I've been seeing No Man's Sky on sale on Steam recently. Looks interesting, but I never commit to purchasing it. I'll need to watch some vids.

I really enjoyed my time... Sometimes I'd build and resource like minecraft... Sometimes I'd build out a base.... Sometimes I'd be a smuggler... Other times I'd follow missions and expand my weapons and backpack slots... It's one of those games that can be anything you want. I really enjoyed jumping into my world. For me it's the next evolution of minecraft... You may not like that comparison but I mean it as a sign of prime respect.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MyCatIsMilk

@TheEroica: As someone who only really enjoyed Minecraft when playing with others, do you think I would ejoy NMS single player? I know that's a hard question to ask, but I'm mostly saying it since you made the Minecraft comparison. :)

I watched a video how the NMS devs redeemed themselves, muchlike the Cyberpunk devs. So I am quite aware just how much better they made the game for their player base. :)

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts

Monster Hunter, The games themselves offers a lot of hours in content, but just changing your weapon makes it feel like a different game, yeah, it needs a lot of grinding, but it is satisfying to experiment with the gear; I average like 500 hours each, with the exemption of Rise in which i have a little less that 200.

Into the Breach, A rogue turn based strategy that the more you play the more you can appreciate everything in it.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 499 Posts

The cheapest game with the most amount of hours for me is most likely Terraria. I bought it for less than 5 dollars and have several thousand hours on it.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 my_user_name  Online
Member since 2019 • 1329 Posts

FFX , Smash Bros Melee, Pokémon Silver, CoD4, MW2, Gears 2 - 4 and Nioh 2

are my most played games ever I think.

Pokemon Silver was a handheld title so it was 30 or 40. Bought nioh 2 for 12ish bucks from Gamefly but then bought the dlc and then double dipped for the PS5 collection so that ended up driving the ratio down.

I don't remember the price on all of them so it's hard to say which one is number 1.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3194 Posts

The game I've replayed the most would be Diablo 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58852 Posts

Factorio: $20, 830+ hours. Permanent home on my hard drive.

Satisfactory: $30, 825+ hours. Permanent home on my hard drive.

World of Warcraft: a few hundred dollars on retail releases, plus a few ground over about 20 years of subscribing. More hours than I can count.

Diablo 2, 3, and 4: combined, probably around $230 on retail (plus expansions). More hours than I can count.

Half-Life, Half-Life 2: probably about $200 on releases plus expansions/episodes. More hours than I can count between the actual games and, more importantly, the modifications.

There's many others over the years, but those are the big ones I'd say.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25
@timemasheen said:

The cheapest game with the most amount of hours for me is most likely Terraria. I bought it for less than 5 dollars and have several thousand hours on it.

oh I forgot about Terraria, yeah I got that for around that much and played it a lot. Such a fun game! I should revisit it some time.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MyCatIsMilk

@mrbojangles25: I just remembered WoW myself. LOL. I'm not sure how that flew by my head. I played a free trial in my teenage years and enjoyed it immensely. Do you think it's worth subscribing to? I just checked their website and it's like $12.99 a month, but I think it locks you in for a year?

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 946 Posts

I've put about 300 hours into Stardew Valley and I believe it cost $15

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator

@mycatismilk said:

@TheEroica: As someone who only really enjoyed Minecraft when playing with others, do you think I would ejoy NMS single player? I know that's a hard question to ask, but I'm mostly saying it since you made the Minecraft comparison. :)

I watched a video how the NMS devs redeemed themselves, muchlike the Cyberpunk devs. So I am quite aware just how much better they made the game for their player base. :)

The option to be with others during nms experience is just as fluid and approachable with vastly more things to do along the way. I played mostly solo and was entertained throughout because of the space stations, npc's and planet bases... Linking up with people to forge your way together was really fun too... NMS to me is very much the continuation of minecraft on a larger scale....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
@mycatismilk said:

@mrbojangles25: I just remembered WoW myself. LOL. I'm not sure how that flew by my head. I played a free trial in my teenage years and enjoyed it immensely. Do you think it's worth subscribing to? I just checked their website and it's like $12.99 a month, but I think it locks you in for a year?

It's $12.99 per month if you sign up for a year, but $14.99 (iirc) per month if you don't want the full year. You might get a free month with purchase of the game I think? Not sure. But yes, I highly recommend at least trying it out for a few months.

I'm a big fan. That's not to say they haven't had their fair share of stumbles over the years but there is just so much content, and the way they've handled leveling now is really great. You can essentially revisit any expansion you want via the "timewalking" mechanic, so if you make a new character and want to revisit the Pandaria expansion, you can do it. And so on and so forth.

End-game content is great, and their latest expansion Dragonflight is quite fun imo.

I actually cancelled my sub in February but don't take that as a negative because this is the first time I haven't had an active sub for years. I fully intend on going back before the new expansion comes out.

I also recommend The Elder Scrolls Online; it's basically an online version of Skyrim, if you enjoy that game. Really well done, with an active community but can totally be played solo.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 760 Posts

Slay the Spire - I have over 2500 hours in this game over the years. It's my go to when I want to just play something that has that "one more run" feel to it. It has a free DLC too that was made by fans and is truly excellent.

Dead Cells - Great fun gameplay and another one I pick up and play from time to time

Hades - Most of my mentions are because you've played Isaac and that's a fav of mine as well. Hades is worth every penny and has a crazy amount of replay value. (I'd wait till one of the sales where it's half off)

No Mans Sky - I recently picked this back up after not playing it much since it's release. It's a completely different game now and absolutely worth it. There's so much here that I think you could spend a 1000 hours with the game and not do everything.

Stardew Valley - It's a cozy game and I thought I'd hate it, but it ended up being one of best gaming experiences I ever had. 100% enjoyable and countless hours can be sunk into this.

I know these are all popular games, but they are all pretty heavily discounted these days too.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 getyeryayasout

@Jendeh: That is a great list of games. Fun, inventive, and loaded with value. I'd gladly recommend each and every one of them.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 302

#27 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 3017 Posts

Spent nothing on Dota 2 (except for a few cosmetic items) and have 3000+ hours in it.

I tend to rack up quite a bit of time in Smash Bros and Mario Kart, even though I pay full retail it seems worth it. My melee save has 5000+ hours in it.

Don't think anything else even comes close for me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator

@Jendeh: man, dead cells.... What an effin game. Nearly perfect game design.

Have you played Rogue Legacy? It is equally as perfect. Both games are gems.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1158 Posts

I view spending time as yet another cost. A game has a cost of how much you pay for it, and then a second cost of how much time you spend with it. What you recieve in return is the fun or fufillment, but if a game could give you the same fufuillment in less time, it provides more value. Our life is finite and time is our primary resource; a job is literally just converting our primary resource into a secondary one.

So Braid and The Witness come to mind as games that provide a lot of value in this regard.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2832 Posts

@Naylord: Thank you!! Folks will wast their time playing some bullshit just because it was cheap or free. Your time is more valuable than any amount of money will ever be

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2832 Posts

There’s a few games that I’ve gone back to over the years that continue to be a blast. Rocket League and Trackmania quickly come to mind. Those are the kind of games that I enjoy. Competitive, arcadey fun.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23742 Posts

Think all of my 500+, 1000+ hr games were just full priced games. Most of them multiplayer, majority of those fighting games. Seems no matter how amazing a single player game is to me, very few ever cross the 500hr mark and only two I can confidently say moved past 1000.

Still though, shout out to Shovel Knight. Not a "forever" game, but a hell of a value. Can't remember what I spent, but definitely wasn't full price. Base game alone worth the price of admission, then they kept cranking out expansions that are arguably better than the first campaign.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59748 Posts

The new standard for PC game prices has jumped to £54. 99 - £59.99 thanks to gre... Uh, anything but that.

Picked up Tomb Raider: Remastered for £16.

Only finished Tomb Raider and it's expansion trying to 100% it. And still not touched NG+

UnderRail cost me (including the expansion) roughly £7 - £10

Still not actually reached the expansion content and each playthrough depending on build it widely different.

This was literally free upgrade. It's arguably the benchmark for all Remasters. All those fuckers like Rockstar trying to charge you £54 and de-listing OG for garbage are a joke compared to Quake II's remaster.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7379 Posts

Got the Witcher 3 ps5 edition for £7.99 and spend hundreds of hours on it. Beautiful game.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9734 Posts

With all the services, free games, give aways, free to play, and games you can grind for content on the market I'm not sure how anyone can be searching so hard for something to play. I have hundreds of games I've collected over the years I didn't pay for.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59748 Posts

Seems like a good deal and something the @TheEroica would probably enjoy on the Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/829280/Kaze_and_the_Wild_Masks/

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9478 Posts

Factoio is a big number 1 here. Paid $35, close to 1800 hours. I make a point to buy a t-shirt from them every 500 hours. Xpac coming out soon gonna end up with a few more shirts.

Terraria and Valheim runners up.

Talking bout a few cents per hour of game play at full price. Value.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8689 Posts

Rocket League

Dota 2

Overwatch

Halo

Counter Strike

Quake

Unreal Tounament

THPS

Galaga

Demons Tilt

MvC

Track Mania

Day of Defeat

SSX

Def Jam FFNY

Tekken

Super Smash Bros

Mario Kart

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 927 Posts

Neverwinter Nights offers massive value for money. You pay a small price, and get a big campaign, in addition to adventures created by other players. I have spent over a thousand hours on this game.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1632 Posts

Bloodborne, it probably works out to about 1.5 cents/hour.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 499 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@timemasheen said:

oh I forgot about Terraria, yeah I got that for around that much and played it a lot. Such a fun game! I should revisit it some time.

It's such a great game. Ya, I get tired of it after playing for a while, but I come back later and it's fun again. There's so much to do.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Seems like a good deal and something the @TheEroica would probably enjoy on the Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/829280/Kaze_and_the_Wild_Masks/

That does look like a modern day throwback! I got TG16 vibes from that trailer. Which is a very high compliment. Loved that system.