UPDATED: Sony exclusives have sold more than you think

• 153 results
#51 Posted by I_P_Daily (11048 posts) -

@doerevolt: So you ask for numbers then you'll talk, and now you have the numbers and you don't wanna talk.

Another cow alt appears, man you guys are like cockroaches lol.

#52 Edited by Litchie (23492 posts) -

Umm.. Pretty sure that proves PS4's exclusives do have a low attachment rate.

Let's say PS4 has sold ~100 million units. Spiderman, which is the game on your list there that sold the most, sold ~9 million. 9 of 100 is.. pretty low.

I think the reason PS4's exclusives have low attachment rates is because the PS4 is the casual bro gamer's console. It's the CoD / FIFA machine. Most people buy PS4's to play popular multiplatform games. Not exclusives.

#53 Posted by Howmakewood (5757 posts) -

Meanwhile the real game, Bloodborne, was left hanging...

#54 Posted by robert_sparkes (2788 posts) -

With a nearly 100 million user base they should be selling as they are especially with the quality Sony have produced it would be criminal to them not.

#55 Posted by MonsieurX (38907 posts) -

What about the other exclusives?

#56 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@mandzilla: In other news, long time franchises like Pokémon, Mario and Zelda sell millions upon millions. Breaking.

#57 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@MonsieurX: @howmakewood: can update the list later with Bloodborne and others. I just knew these 4 would most likely be the highest

#58 Edited by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@Litchie: don’t forget PS4 gets three times as many games as Switch though so even fans like myself can’t buy and play them all immediately- I just don’t have the money to buy and play every single game...nor the time.

Spyro, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider all released around the same time. I ended up buying Spider-Man day one and getting TR on Black Friday at a 50% discount.

Right now I want Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, MK11, DMC5, Anthem...not counting the ones I don’t want- metro, the division 2, sekiro, jump force, far cry etc when has the Switch ever had that many AAA titles all in a short time span? These games are all coming out within 4 months of each other.

Nintendo games always have high attachment rates because the good games on Nintendo consoles are far and few between with less competition- none of the third party games I listed will be on Switch so there is basically no third party competition with Nintendo first party titles. For example, days gone is a Sony exclusive that is going to have to compete with all these other games coming out on PS4. So you can thank Nintendo and their lack of choice on their platform for such high sales and attachment rates

#59 Posted by Litchie (23492 posts) -

@jcrame10: I'm perfectly aware of why Nintendo has higher attachment rates than Sony. The only thing I wanted was to point out that PS4 has low attachment rates, since it seems you're trying to prove with your thread that it's false even though it's correct.

Most PS4 users don't give a shit about Days Gone, God of War, Kingdom Hearts, DMC, etc. They care about playing the latest FIFA. I bet that at least 70% of everyone who has a PS4 doesn't have more than 1 or 2 games for it.

#60 Edited by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@Litchie: I have 256 PS friends on my list and I know all of them have more than one game

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#61 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28573 posts) -

Nope, that's as poorly as I knew they sold.

Dude, the install base is 80 million. EIGHTY MILLION.

#62 Posted by Litchie (23492 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@Litchie: I have 256 PS friends on my list and I know all of them have more than one game

Great. Doesn't prove anything though. Most PS4 owners probably don't even have any friend lists. We're talking about casuals here.

#63 Posted by Chutebox (44380 posts) -

Judging by comments, every game on ps1-ps4, xbox360, and Wii sold poorly.

#64 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@Litchie: PS4 isn’t exactly like the Wii. There’s no motion controls or super popularly mainstream gimmicky games to appeal to non gamer casuals like the Wii did or even Kinect. Maybe there’s an audience specifically buying a PS4 for only fortnite but I don’t know.

#65 Edited by PAL360 (29518 posts) -

Aren't those retail only sales? I always wonder how well do games sell digitally, these days.

#66 Edited by PAL360 (29518 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

It's something like 92 million now. Still...considering there are over 5000 games available on PS4, the fact some games are owned by 10% of the community is impressive!

#67 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@Litchie: You would be very wrong... Try looking something up before you say dumb things.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/01/ps4_has_a_very_high_software_attach_rate_average_player_owns_around_ten_games

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#68 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28573 posts) -

@PAL360 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

It's something like 92 million now. Still...considering there are over 5000 games available on PS4, the fact some games are owned by 10% of the community is impressive!

Are these the sad expectations found on other consoles not named Nintendo?

tsk tsk tsk.

#69 Posted by ellos (1970 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@PAL360 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Are these the sad expectations found on other consoles not named Nintendo?

tsk tsk tsk.

To be fair yes these sad expectations can be found on some of nintendo and a lot of other greats. Metroid games, Zelda games before BOTW don't usually compete. Basically most nintendo games that don't have mario or pokemon. Alot of games don't really get close to that.

#70 Posted by PinchySkree (1190 posts) -

Lack of choice on a system drives up individual game sales

#71 Posted by Mandzilla (3816 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@mandzilla: In other news, long time franchises like Pokémon, Mario and Zelda sell millions upon millions. Breaking.

Well to be fair Splatoon is a younger IP than God of War, and Pokemon: Let's Go's a remake that a lot of people thought would bomb.

#72 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@mandzilla: has a Pokémon game ever bombed?

Not surprised the Splatoon games are doing well. It’s the first online shooter that Nintendo has ever made. That was part of the reason I purchased both games as I was curious to that fact.

#73 Edited by Mandzilla (3816 posts) -

@jcrame10: Well good point. Though some of the spinoffs certainly have, guess it just depends on whether you consider Let's Go to be a mainline game or not.

It's a big hit over in Japan, I think that's the region with the most Splatoon sales. Anyway, it's good fun to cover people in paint rather than kill them for a change. :D More stuff like that and Nintendo might actually put more effort into their online service lol.

#74 Posted by DaVillain- (35535 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

@fedor: compared to multiplayer live service games it's not that good. Live service games have more options to make more money, the units sold and "extra" money from microstransations. Battlefield which sold 7 million can easily catch up and outperform spider man because the microstransations and that is not a good sign. At least for me

Don't forget Spider-Man PS4 Pro bundle that sold so damn well on Black Friday, it increase Spider-Man PS4 sells doubling it's numbers and like Fedor said, 9 million is solid only because Spider-Man PS4 was release September 2018 near the beginning holidays.

#75 Edited by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@mandzilla: I enjoy Splatoon, there’s just some decisions I’d like to see them make with the franchise

#76 Posted by shurns (226 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@shurns said:

Are they really considered low sales for exclusives, though?

Well yeah, as just about every one is watching them for free on YouTube :(

Ok. So how much of those exclusives have to be sold to be considered good?

#77 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@Litchie: don’t forget PS4 gets three times as many games as Switch though so even fans like myself can’t buy and play them all immediately- I just don’t have the money to buy and play every single game...nor the time.

Spyro, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider all released around the same time. I ended up buying Spider-Man day one and getting TR on Black Friday at a 50% discount.

Right now I want Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, MK11, DMC5, Anthem...not counting the ones I don’t want- metro, the division 2, sekiro, jump force, far cry etc when has the Switch ever had that many AAA titles all in a short time span? These games are all coming out within 4 months of each other.

Nintendo games always have high attachment rates because the good games on Nintendo consoles are far and few between with less competition- none of the third party games I listed will be on Switch so there is basically no third party competition with Nintendo first party titles. For example, days gone is a Sony exclusive that is going to have to compete with all these other games coming out on PS4. So you can thank Nintendo and their lack of choice on their platform for such high sales and attachment rates

actually, the real reason ps4 exclusives dont sell is because people buy ps4s for call of duty, GTA and sports games like madden/fifa/nba 2k. stuff like that.

PS4 is the definition of casual. The people that actually buy real games on it is low.

#78 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: What are the sales numbers for those games just for ps4?

#79 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@fedor said:

@KBFloYd: What are the sales numbers for those games just for ps4?

no clue but these are the best selling games on PS4 to date. Which means these are the games people buy a ps4 for.

https://www.dualshockers.com/top-10-selling-games-ps4-xbox-one/ -Nov 2,2018

#80 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Aren't those some of the best selling games on whatever platform they release on?

#81 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@fedor said:

@KBFloYd: Aren't those some of the best selling games on whatever platform they release on?

Yep. His argument makes no real sense.

#82 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@MonsieurX: @howmakewood: can update the list later with Bloodborne and others. I just knew these 4 would most likely be the highest

Updated FYI

#83 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@jcrame10: His argument comes down to the majority of gamers are casual. Not wrong really, just not ps4 specific.

#84 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@fedor said:

there are only 4 platforms

we don't have a PC list but i bet its league of legends or some MMOs

nintendo is nintendo published games

which leaves xbox and sony. call of duty/GTA and sports games

#85 Posted by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:
@fedor said:

youre in denial of your playstation

#86 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@jcrame10 said:
@fedor said:

youre in denial of your playstation

continue your conversation with @fedor, it's more entertaining to watch

#87 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Yea, I'd say fortnite currently for PC. But I know Fifa, GTA, CoD etc... All do very well. Nintendo games aren't exactly hardcore either, most are quite simple games to learn and play.

#88 Posted by SaltSlasher (949 posts) -

Now show all Xbox and Nintendo published game sales.

#89 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@fedor said:

@jcrame10: His argument comes down to the majority of gamers are casual. Not wrong really, just not ps4 specific.

True. He's trying to use PS4 as an easy target for his argument.

#90 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@fedor said:

@KBFloYd: Yea, I'd say fortnite currently for PC. But I know Fifa, GTA, CoD etc... All do very well. Nintendo games aren't exactly hardcore either, most are quite simple games to learn and play.

Ok so we established PS4 is dominated by call of duty/GTA and sports games. whether those are more casual or less casual than nintendo games. that is opinion.

However the initial point is why ps4 exclusives dont sell like nintendo exclusives. Most ps4 owners only care about the GTA/call of duty and sports. that's why ps4 excluisives dont sell as much.

jcarme says its because there are too many games. Yet, the top 10 list for ps4 remains consistent everytime a new call of duty or battlefield drops. completely negating his opinion.

#91 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

Now show all Xbox and Nintendo published game sales.

that's for another thread

#92 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@fedor said:

Ok so we established PS4 is dominated by call of duty/GTA and sports games. whether those are more casual or less casual than nintendo games. that is opinion.

However the initial point is why ps4 exclusives dont sell like nintendo exclusives. Most ps4 owners only care about the GTA/call of duty and sports. that's why ps4 excluisives dont sell as much.

jcarme says its because there are too many games. Yet, the top 10 list for ps4 remains consistent everytime a new call of duty or battlefield drops. completely negating his opinion.

That's why Sony usually releases their exclusives in the spring or summer, rarely do you see one of their games in the fall around holiday season. They know that's when the big AAA third party titles release every year. They would probably see even less sales if they tried to compete directly with them.

Spider-Man is a huge icon and had guaranteed success, they still released it first week of September instead of in November.

#93 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I get ya. As I said, the majority of gamers are casuals. The platform simply doesn't matter. If those games ran on switch they'd do extremely well there as well.

#94 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@fedor said:

@KBFloYd: I get ya. As I said, the majority of gamers are casuals. The platform simply doesn't matter. If those games ran on switch they'd do extremely well there as well.

but those games are on switch. call of duty and madden where on the wii/wiiU, fifa nba2k are on the switch.

They do not sell nearly as well as nintendo published games. people buy nintendo for nintendo published games mostly.

people buy ps4's for call of duty/GTA and sports games.

Just accept it. PS4 exclusives are 2ndary thought to most people buying a playstation.

#95 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: You think those games wouldn't do well on switch? We're not talking Wii, its irrelevant. Nba2k runs like shit and so does FIFA, thats why I said if they ran on switch. Fortnite does great on switch, casual game. Mario Odyssey is as casual as it gets, sold gangbusters. Mario Kart as well. None of those are hardcore games. Casual games/pick up and play are most popular.

#96 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@fedor said:

@KBFloYd: You think those games wouldn't do well on switch? We're not talking Wii, its irrelevant. Nba2k runs like shit and so does FIFA, thats why I said if they ran on switch. Fortnite does great on switch, casual game. Mario Odyssey is as casual as it gets, sold gangbusters. Mario Kart as well. None of those are hardcore games. Casual games/pick up and play are most popular.

again you are arguing what's more casual. call of duty or mario. I am not here to argue what more casual.

If it makes you happy i'll say nintendo is more casual than sony. there are you happy?

now lets talk about why exclusives dont sell on playstation..... because people buy ps4s for call of duty/GTA & sports games.

the wiiU was just as powerful as the 360/ps3 ass creed 4 black flag/ass creed 3/ black ops 2/cod ghosts all ran as good as ps3/360 and still flopped on nintendo.

#97 Posted by jcrame10 (4983 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@fedor said:

but those games are on switch. call of duty and madden where on the wii/wiiU, fifa nba2k are on the switch.

They do not sell nearly as well as nintendo published games. people buy nintendo for nintendo published games mostly.

Just accept it. PS4 exclusives are 2ndary thought to most people buying a playstation.

@fedor said:

Those games are always watered down, terrible ports of the games when they appear on Nintendo consoles. Didn't the CoD games on Wii only have single player?

#98 Edited by KBFloYd (21619 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@fedor said:

@fedor said:

Those games are always watered down, terrible ports of the games when they appear on Nintendo consoles. Didn't the CoD games on Wii only have single player?

so you think if those games ran as good as ps4/xbox versions they would suddenly sell more than or equal to mario on a nintendo system?

call of duty ghosts and blops 2 has no missing features

#99 Edited by Howmakewood (5757 posts) -

@jcrame10: Ye dont think we've gotten official numbers for Bloodborne for some time, that game deserved to sell more however, easily my top game on ps followed by GoW

#100 Edited by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Of course. All 2k games have been bad on switch, WWE is easily the worst port on switch. It would also help if they released same day and didn't charge full price longer than the other platforms. The portability of the switch would add something to those titles the other consoles simply couldnt.