UPDATE: Overclocking the Switch, increased handheld quality

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#1 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (19374 posts) -

So, to make it clear, I will NOT post any link to show you how you can overclock your own Switch. If you do, let it be known that you're risking your warranty and once it's bricked, it's gone.

Anyways, looks like a community of hackers and home brewers were able to overclock the Switches GPU and Memory speed settings. The results showed increase frames helping performance and run smooth like butter. Here are some footage.

Update:

So it looks like running Doom 2016 in handheld yield better results according to this Reddit post

Also, some of you are concern of the Switch overheating when overclocked, that's not the case according to those users. What it will cost is faster batter drainage.

Avatar image for Guy_Brohski
#2 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1889 posts) -

I wouldn't risk overheating the Switch. And there's a decent chance Ninty will improve the performance for the inevitable mid gen refresh..

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#3 Posted by getyeryayasout (12201 posts) -

That's cool, but my Switch is already starting to warp as it is.

Avatar image for npiet1
#4 Posted by npiet1 (1945 posts) -

Yes, lets OC the switch, reduce it's life, void warranty, possible breaking it and possible brick it depending on the model.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#5 Posted by DrLostRib (4734 posts) -

that seems like it could cause more problems than it would fix

Avatar image for dark_drag765
#6 Posted by dark_drag765 (1017 posts) -

Isn’t that what dock mode is Essientially? From what I read there is no extra hardware in the dock

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#7 Posted by lundy86_4 (52363 posts) -

In such a small form factor, I certainly wouldn't risk it myself. If they released a mid-gen refresh with slightly better components, then that may be fine.

Avatar image for knight-k
#8 Posted by knight-k (2534 posts) -

Overclocking shit will still result in shit OP.

Avatar image for PCgameruk
#9 Posted by PCgameruk (2251 posts) -

@dark_drag765: In portable mode the core and memory clock speeds run lower to give a longer battery life. Dock mode runs off the mains so the switch runs at its full speeds.

Avatar image for ellos
#10 Edited by ellos (1966 posts) -

Oh god do not give nintendo ideas. You may get Switch+ just an overclocked switch sold at a premium price.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#11 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -

Or Nintendo could of just rebranded the original K1 shields, not much bigger are they? Let's be honest, the switch is not that well designed.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#12 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2874 posts) -

The Switch sounds like a jet engine when I play Fortnite in handheld mode. I think the thing is working hard as it is. I’ll stick to pushing my PC hardware instead.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#13 Edited by robert_sparkes (2786 posts) -

Played doom on my mates switch and the system nearly had a meltdown. Better off waiting for a revised version.

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#14 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

Maybe with a firmware update we can expect 60fps for Link in The Wild, in the patch.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#15 Posted by Howmakewood (5757 posts) -
@x_karen_x said:

Maybe with a firmware update we can expect 60fps for Link in The Wild, in the patch.

and cows fly

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#16 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@howmakewood:

It not so silly in a new design as Nintendo choose a faster speed like the new 3ds. New switch version would have patch to play older game but have more frame, if frame only deal with clocks speed and game frames only hold back by this.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#17 Posted by Howmakewood (5757 posts) -
@x_karen_x said:

@howmakewood:

It not so silly in a new design as Nintendo choose a faster speed like the new 3ds. New switch version would have patch to play older game but have more frame, if frame only deal with clocks speed and game frames only hold back by this.

firmware update != hardware revision, and the new version would need to be about twice as powerful

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#18 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@howmakewood:

Then how it show link running smooth on just overclock switch

Avatar image for howmakewood
#19 Posted by Howmakewood (5757 posts) -
@x_karen_x said:

@howmakewood:

Then how it show link running smooth on just overclock switch

Was talking about it reaching 60fps

Avatar image for jasonofa36
#20 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1180 posts) -

And increase heat output and reduce battery performance and lifespan more? No thanks. Even small OCs can affect a system negatively, and most likely a lot more on SOCs.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#21 Posted by pyro1245 (4828 posts) -

Man.. The Lost Woods on Switch is laggy AF.....

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#22 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6196 posts) -

Silicon lottery... Just because one chip can overclock to that level doesn't mean all will unless they find a OC that is achievable with all Switch consoles.

Also battery would be affected plus they don't care about framerate or power.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#23 Posted by Vaidream45 (1764 posts) -

They aren’t doing it because they know it’ll increase the chances of warped Switches.

Avatar image for jdc6305
#24 Posted by jdc6305 (5039 posts) -

They can't the switch has heat problems

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

So if the could, why didn't they?

No way.

Avatar image for freedom01
#26 Posted by freedom01 (3349 posts) -

not with the current Switch.
It won't be able to handle the heat and may cause problems.
They may do it on their mid gen upgrade, if there is any that is.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#27 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19374 posts) -
@freedom01 said:

not with the current Switch.

It won't be able to handle the heat and may cause problems.

They may do it on their mid gen upgrade, if there is any that is.

Hackers have tested overclocking in handheld mode and saw no heat increase. But it does eat the battery faster. This is when you overclock the switch, in handheld mode, to the console mode clockspeed.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#28 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4211 posts) -

Switches are gonna be popping like hot plastic popcorn kernels soon. Yikes.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#29 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19374 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Switches are gonna be popping like hot plastic popcorn kernels soon. Yikes.

Did you even bother reading the update? Handheld mode overclocked to dock mode showed Doom runs the same, but didn't cause any overheating, just the Battery draining quicker

Avatar image for BassMan
#31 Posted by BassMan (9895 posts) -

I sold my Switch due to lack of quality exclusives, but I would definitely OC it if I still had it. I don't give a fuk if OC voids the warranty or not. The hardware is shit and it needs any boost you can give it.

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#32 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man:

Only time is going to tell. It unpredictable to overclock. It just the battery then possible Nintendo up clock next version with higher battery. Link in the Wild is to be enjoyed even more this way.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#33 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19891 posts) -

You would think that Nintendo would allow higher clock speeds for some games and give the developer the choice to do so, but maybe it's not overclocked for a good reason.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#34 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19374 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:

You would think that Nintendo would allow higher clock speeds for some games and give the developer the choice to do so, but maybe it's not overclocked for a good reason.

It's mostly due to battery drainage for Handheld mode. We have yet seen what would happen in Dock mode.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#35 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -
@BassMan said:

I sold my Switch due to lack of quality exclusives, but I would definitely OC it if I still had it. I don't give a fuk if OC voids the warranty or not. The hardware is shit and it needs any boost you can give it.

I'm surprised you ever bought one, feeling ok?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#36 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4211 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Switches are gonna be popping like hot plastic popcorn kernels soon. Yikes.

Did you even bother reading the update? Handheld mode overclocked to dock mode showed Doom runs the same, but didn't cause any overheating, just the Battery draining quicker

No? I didn't care that much.

Avatar image for vfighter
#38 Posted by VFighter (4623 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: My boy plays a lot of Fortnite in handheld mode, I've never once heard a fan?

Avatar image for BassMan
#40 Posted by BassMan (9895 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:
@BassMan said:

I sold my Switch due to lack of quality exclusives, but I would definitely OC it if I still had it. I don't give a fuk if OC voids the warranty or not. The hardware is shit and it needs any boost you can give it.

I'm surprised you ever bought one, feeling ok?

I bought it for Breath of the Wild, which I can now play on PC. I later bought Super Mario Odyssey and was disappointed by it. No other noteworthy exclusives have released for it or are coming in the near future. So, I just sold it and made some kid who doesn't care about quality happy for Christmas. NIntendo isn't really relevant to my gaming needs anymore. They just pump out the same old shit all the time. I avoided the Wii and Wii U because they were shit, but I felt like the Switch was going to be different. I was wrong. It is shit as well.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#41 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -
@BassMan said:
@Random_Matt said:
@BassMan said:

I sold my Switch due to lack of quality exclusives, but I would definitely OC it if I still had it. I don't give a fuk if OC voids the warranty or not. The hardware is shit and it needs any boost you can give it.

I'm surprised you ever bought one, feeling ok?

I bought it for Breath of the Wild, which I can now play on PC. I later bought Super Mario Odyssey and was disappointed by it. No other noteworthy exclusives have released for it or are coming in the near future. So, I just sold it and made some kid who doesn't care about quality happy for Christmas. NIntendo isn't really relevant to my gaming needs anymore. They just pump out the same old shit all the time. I avoided the Wii and Wii U because they were shit, but I felt like the Switch was going to be different. I was wrong. It is shit as well.

Nintendo = Played one you played them all.

Out of curiosity, how does breath of the wild run on PC? Dolphin right?

Avatar image for BassMan
#42 Edited by BassMan (9895 posts) -

@Random_Matt: Runs amazing. 4K/60fps on Cemu.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#43 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -
@BassMan said:

@Random_Matt: Runs amazing. 4K/60fps on Cemu.

I'll have to try it.

Avatar image for BassMan
#44 Posted by BassMan (9895 posts) -
@Random_Matt said:
@BassMan said:

@Random_Matt: Runs amazing. 4K/60fps on Cemu.

I'll have to try it.

I sent PM with a youtube video on how to set it up.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#45 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -
@BassMan said:
@Random_Matt said:
@BassMan said:

@Random_Matt: Runs amazing. 4K/60fps on Cemu.

I'll have to try it.

I sent PM with a youtube video on how to set it up.

Thanks.