Update : 8 new Changes Coming to Steam in 2019 (including client redesign)

• 51 results
Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

some long awaited ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

=========

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-announces-8-changes-coming-to-steam-in-2019/

=========

• Store Discoverability: We’re working on a new recommendation engine powered by machine-learning, that can match players to games based on their individual tastes. Algorithms are only a part of our discoverability solution, however, so we're building more broadcasting and curating features and are constantly assessing the overall design of the store.
  • Steam China: We've partnered with Perfect World to bring Steam onshore into China. We'll reveal more details about this in the coming months.
  • Steam Library Update: Some long awaited changes to the Steam Client will ship, including a reworked Steam Library, built on top of the technology we shipped in Steam Chat.
  • New Events System: We're upgrading the events system in the Steam Community, enabling you to highlight interesting activities in your games like tournaments, streams, or weekly challenges.
  • Steam TV: We're working on expanding Steam TVbeyond just broadcasting specific tournaments and special events, in order to support all games.
  • Steam Chat: We're going to ship a new Steam Chat mobile app, so you can share your favorite GIFs with your friends while on the go.
  • Steam Trust: The technology behind Trusted Matchmaking on CS:GO is getting an upgrade and will become a full Steam feature that will be available to all games. This means you'll have more information that you can use to help determine how likely a player is a cheater or not.
  • Steam PC Cafe Program: We are going to officially ship a new PC Cafe Program so that players can have a good experience using Steam in hundreds of thousands of PC Cafes Worldwide.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I wonder if Jim Stirling will create a video saying most of them are garbage indie games and re-releases designed to put released games on the front of the store.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

I wonder if Jim Stirling will create a video saying most of them are garbage indie games and re-releases designed to put released games on the front of the store.

He doesn't need to, most of us are well aware that a very high proportion of games on Steam are garbage asset flip crap barely worth the title of game and not worth a penny.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@lamprey263 said:

He doesn't need to, most of us are well aware that a very high proportion of games on Steam are garbage asset flip crap barely worth the title of game and not worth a penny.

As long as Steam has what I want, I can't complain about whatever they put in the store.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GarGx1
@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:
@lamprey263 said:

As long as Steam has what I want, I can't complain about whatever they put in the store.

I do agree and I never see the garbage on it, I know it's there though and that there's an awful lot of it.

It's just people boasting about there being 30,000 games on Steam makes me cringe, especially when I think about some of the terrible tripe that make up that number.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

If Epic can curate a smaller number of on average better quality Indie games, I'd see that as a good thing.

Steam is brimming with shovelwear and crap most people would never want to play and I bet there are plenty of great games that get lost amongst the spam

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Probably 2/3 of them are trash not worth anyone's time so what does it matter? Quantity =/= quality.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

It's not really a good thing when about 10.000 games release on Steam each year and only a few dozen of those are worth playing.

Tons of developers are leaving Steam because their gem is being flooded by tons of crap.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

And 90% of them will be complete garbage. Meanwhile, the indies who once called Steam home are jumping shop to Switch in droves because they're being crowded out by all the refuse.

All because Gaben "doesn't want to to tell people what to do." Lesson of the day: when it's a free for all, people are inevitably going to abuse it. Base human nature.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

All I been reading here in this thread is nothing but shills over Steam's somewhat bad reputation. The Steam hate is very silly. Seems like mostly contrarians and bandwagoneers complaining for the sake of it. I'll say one thing bad about Steam. The rating system is flawed. Mediocre games like Distance can get an undeserved score of 93%. It wasn't a terrible game, but nowhere near very good.

NeutrinoWorks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NeutrinoWorks
Member since 2018 • 75 Posts

That's a lot of trash

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@lamprey263: Well he wouldn't be lying.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

It's tough finding a game that sparks my interest while browsing my queue. The majority lately is either early access or shovelware. To be fair this is after I've gone through 10,000 titles so I am more than likely scraping the bottom of the barrel.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

And 29,900 of them are pure trash.

That is me being generous too.

Because when I go on Steam, I can’t find anything worth playing.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ajstyles: oh give me a break. You mean out of 30 years of PC games on Steam you can't find something good to play?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@ajstyles said:

Then use the fucking search bar! How hard is that?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@davillain- said:
@ajstyles said:

He probably did, I did!

What's supposed to happen when you use the search bar? Are the games supposed to manifest higher quality at that point?

Help me out I'm probably doing it wrong.

I search for "RPG" after sifting through what had to be hundreds of games and the most prestigious games I've found out of them were The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2. Two PS3 console ports!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@boxrekt said:

He probably did, I did!

What's supposed to happen when you use the search bar? Are the games supposed to manifest higher quality at that point?

I search for "RPG" after sifting through what had to be hundreds of games and the most prestigious games I've found out of them were The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2. Two PS3 console ports!

Steam isn't idiot-proof, sadly.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Wow congrats. That is a lot of steam early access and flash games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:
@lamprey263 said:

I do agree and I never see the garbage on it, I know it's there though and that there's an awful lot of it.

It's just people boasting about there being 30,000 games on Steam makes me cringe, especially when I think about some of the terrible tripe that make up that number.

90% game steam is probably made by 1 man dev using the Unity engine and assets from Unity asset store.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator

@boxrekt: do you think lying helps in these arguments? It's not gonna convert anyone away from PC.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I use reputable Steam Curators anyway. That way, I can know which games are worth my money or not. Most AAA games release on Steam anyway, and they're easy to find.

People saying Steam is a hard app to use are just lazy bums who just hates PC gaming/Steam just for the sake of hating it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Neat, but how many are worth giving a shit about?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator

@boxrekt: I'm sure you're doing it wrong, but Steam isn't only client I use the most despite all my games are on it, most of them are also on Origin, GOG, UPlay, Blizzard.Net, & Epic store. Go to Humble Bundle cause I prefer that the most.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@davillain- said:

@boxrekt: I'm sure you're doing it wrong, but Steam isn't only client I use the most despite all my games are on it, most of them are also on Origin, GOG, UPlay, Blizzard.Net, & Epic store. Go to Humble Bundle cause I prefer that the most.

Those bundles are good when they're associated with traditional multiplats which are also on consoles. But what's the point if those games aren't the majority which make up those 30000? That number is what this thread is hyping right? So when we aren't looking at games that are also on consoles that make up that 30000, I honestly don't see much quality among the selection.

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

He probably did, I did!

Sorry if my quality bar doesn't measure up to your apparent low set of standards.

If you get emotional and lash out like a passive aggressive woman throwing out personal insults instead of posting a normal reply because you can't handle what someone said about some video games then I'm sure you're a real smart guy, or maybe you're actually a female?

No matter, get your emotions in check bro and try again because your reply was literally "idiotic". Your reply comes off like a school yard insult from someone who doesn't have the intelligence to say anything else.

@xantufrog said:

@boxrekt: do you think lying helps in these arguments? It's not gonna convert anyone away from PC.

Lying about what?

My experience with surfing the Steam store or the games I came away with? You can make some suggestions and I'll be more than glad to check them out and get back to you on what I think about them.

Also, I'm not trying to convert anyone to anything. I haven't asked anyone to abandon PC in this thread, I simply shared my experience with Steam and you people started attacking me accusing me of lying and making personal insults. I own a gaming PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
@boxrekt said:

He probably did, I did!

Here is a tip:

Search Skyrim on steam.

Under tags you can find: RPG

Click on the tag RPG

Now you can browse by: New releases, top selling, etc ...

I use this a lot for example to find RTS games on steam.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@boxrekt: if you search RPG, you get a bunch of popular stuff, ranging from MH World, to DOS2, to TW3 on the first two pages alone. I question the relevance of some of the returns, but right up front are big hitters.

And that's just a searchbar search for rpg. I prefer the filters approach suggested by r4gn4r0k

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@xantufrog: let's change the topic , it sounds Valve has some new plans for 2019

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

hell yes steam responding to epic games

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Seems mostly like one giant Steaming pile of peasant poo. lol :P

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts
@madrocketeer said:

And 90% of them will be complete garbage. Meanwhile, the indies who once called Steam home are jumping shop to Switch in droves because they're being crowded out by all the refuse.

All because Gaben "doesn't want to to tell people what to do." Lesson of the day: when it's a free for all, people are inevitably going to abuse it. Base human nature.

And Eshop will be flooded eventually as well

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

That's pretty much the norm nowadays. It's not that different for console games either. Look at console games in store shelves and most of them are crap and shovelware except for a handful. Limited selection too. There's no guarantee older hits will be available. At least, with Steam and other PC online stores, the whole gamut of games are there to browse.

As for Steam itself? I'm sure there are those who'll like the changes. To me? It's still just a software dongle for some games I want to play.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Did op just edit his entire op or wtf is going on??

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

But PC has no games. I wonder how many high quality games ignored by reviewers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@boxrekt said:

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

He probably did, I did!

Sorry if my quality bar doesn't measure up to your apparent low set of standards.

If you get emotional and lash out like a passive aggressive woman throwing out personal insults instead of posting a normal reply because you can't handle what someone said about some video games then I'm sure you're a real smart guy, or maybe you're actually a female?

No matter, get your emotions in check bro and try again because your reply was literally "idiotic". Your reply comes off like a school yard insult from someone who doesn't have the intelligence to say anything else.

I'm confused on if you're talking to me. I was calling boxrekt an idiot because he apparently struggles to use a basic search function.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

These are some impressive numbers. With a store this large, why do Bethesda and Ubisoft think they will make more money going with their own store / epic's store respectively?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog said:

Lying about what?

My experience with surfing the Steam store or the games I came away with? You can make some suggestions and I'll be more than glad to check them out and get back to you on what I think about them.

Also, I'm not trying to convert anyone to anything. I haven't asked anyone to abandon PC in this thread, I simply shared my experience with Steam and you people started attacking me accusing me of lying and making personal insults. I own a gaming PC.

For the record, I never accuse you (not anyone really) of lying on anything, I just don't like dealing with people who aren't trying. All I'm saying their are better ways to finding good games on Steam then just not by looking at the front page. Why not just go buy CDKeys, where you know exactly what you're getting out of a game?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GarGx1
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@GarGx1 said:

That's pretty much the norm nowadays. It's not that different for console games either. Look at console games in store shelves and most of them are crap and shovelware except for a handful. Limited selection too. There's no guarantee older hits will be available. At least, with Steam and other PC online stores, the whole gamut of games are there to browse.

As for Steam itself? I'm sure there are those who'll like the changes. To me? It's still just a software dongle for some games I want to play.

The OP has been completely changed since I last posted in this thread. It was initially talking about Steam hitting 30,000 games and nothing about the improvements. Changes for the better are always welcome.

Not sure how it will stop them leaking major publishers to Epic and their own store fronts, though the potential for Chinese pennies could help in that regard.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#41 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Steam coming to China is going to result in a huge influx of hackers into MP games.

can't say I'm looking forward to that

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

These are some impressive numbers. With a store this large, why do Bethesda and Ubisoft think they will make more money going with their own store / epic's store respectively?

LMAO, so much for PSN being bigger than Steam.

The_Old_Gods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Old_Gods
Member since 2019 • 9 Posts

So when is Steam going to start filtering out all of the trash abandonware?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@xantufrog:

Who did you ban now? Because ^

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:

LMAO, so much for PSN being bigger than Steam.

Which is another point I don't understand. Bethesda and others don't want to give 30 (20 if succesful) percent of the sales to Valve for being hosted on the BIGGEST gaming platform.

Yet they are fine doing so to Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.

I guess it's easier to screw over PC gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

I like Steam. It has flaws but it's the best for me right now on PC compared to Origin, U-Play, etc. I pick up everything on Steam and anything exclusive outside of it I use Origin or U-Play and just manually add it to my Steam library; I like to keep everything in one place.

I do miss the flash sales we use to get and the reviews can use some work cause I'll read some stupid ass reviews sometimes and I just have to comment them for being stupid sometimes.

As for searching for games; I'll usually browse through top sellers but mainly what I do is just use Google...lol. I'll search for any underrated indie games I may have missed or top rated early access games or whatever other genre and then check them out on Steam and look through some screenshots, read some reviews about the game, and if anything watch a review about it on YouTube.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator

@dagubot said:

I like Steam. It has flaws but it's the best for me right now on PC compared to Origin, U-Play, etc. I pick up everything on Steam and anything exclusive outside of it I use Origin or U-Play and just manually add it to my Steam library; I like to keep everything in one place.

I do miss the flash sales we use to get and the reviews can use some work cause I'll read some stupid ass reviews sometimes and I just have to comment them for being stupid sometimes.

As for searching for games; I'll usually browse through top sellers but mainly what I do is just use Google...lol. I'll search for any underrated indie games I may have missed or top rated early access games or whatever other genre and then check them out on Steam and look through some screenshots, read some reviews about the game, and if anything watch a review about it on YouTube.

I'm surprise you didn't mention about GOG. I do know few people here prefer GOG over Steam but for me, I'm all over the place in terms of clients but Steam is my main client and I try to buy as many games as I can due to my collection but I also buy few games on various clients in terms of what's the best deals.

Steam does has it's flaws, but it's hardly something I really don't care these days to bitch about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts
@davillain- said:
@dagubot said:

I'm surprise you didn't mention about GOG. I do know few people here prefer GOG over Steam but for me, I'm all over the place in terms of clients but Steam is my main client and I try to buy as many games as I can due to my collection but I also buy few games on various clients in terms of what's the best deals.

Steam does has it's flaws, but it's hardly something I really don't care these days to bitch about.

I used GOG a long long time ago and I stopped using it...lol. It was cool and I liked the client for it but I didn't see anything that GOG had that Steam didn't have aside from really old school games.

I just think these various clients are getting out of hand...lol. Even Discord has games on it now and they even had this one game I was interested in that is only exclusive to Discord because of some 90 day deal so I'll have to wait until it releases on Steam. I don't even touch Bethesda Launcher or Epic Launcher but I do want to play Ashen as well so that is another game that I'll just wait until it hits Steam.

I'm simplistic :)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@davillain- said:
@ajstyles said:

He probably did, I did!

I purchased Cold Steel 1 and 2 on GOG.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Thank you Steam, thank you for everything.

You are number 1 kankertot. You are the best.