Unlike Microsoft, Sony Is Intent On Having PS5-Only Games Right Away (GS article)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Recently Playstation CEO Jim Ryan confirmed Sony's intention to go all out on PS5 exclusives that are actually exclusive to PS5. Sounds good. No problem with newer PS4 games being developed to be also playable on the PS5, but I think PS5 exclusives should definitely be playable only on the PS5. Seems like Sony feels the same.

As for MS feeling the same concerning the XSX...not so much.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/unlike-microsoft-sony-is-intent-on-having-ps5only-/1100-6477881/

From the article:

"Sony is not planning for upcoming exclusives to run across both the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, according to PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.Biz, Ryan was asked whether Sony is planning on a strategy similar to Microsoft with regards to supporting exclusives across two generations of hardware. Ryan explains that Sony has always believed in generations, and that software should represent that new capabilities of new hardware. As such, Sony is not planning to make upcoming PS5 games compatible with the PS4, with Ryan saying that Sony plans to deliver software that can only be enjoyed on its new console."

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Now that's the information that I want to hear when deciding to buy a new console, give us a couple of good ones at launch and I will consider buying one. I want a next gen console to play next gen games not this cross gen bollocks after dropping a few hundred quid, give us a reason to buy one.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Of course, that's the only way they can sell consoles.

.....but if they don't run well I'm gonna complain about it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

Its always interesting to see people support things that are not in gamers favor.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

But will they be good games? Exclusivity means nothing if the titles suck.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@Pedro said:

Its always interesting to see people support things that are not in gamers favor.

Not in the gamers favor? There will be a massive gap in visual fidelity between cross gen and next gen only titles. Imagine still having to develop a game for those shitty jaguar cores.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12945 Posts

@Pedro said:

this!

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 floppydics

@wervenom said:
@Pedro said:

Not in the gamers favor? There will be a massive gap in visual fidelity between cross gen and next gen only titles. Imagine still having to develop a game for those shitty jaguar cores.

This. I buy a next gen console to play next gen games not last gen games with extra bells and whistles That's just gimping the experience of the consoles potential. More advanced games with better visuals, physics and potentially better gameplay will become the norm faster if developed games are not chained to ancient hardware. As a gamer, this is what I would favour. I'll buy one to play PS5 games not slightly better PS4 games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@floppydics said:
@wervenom said:

This. I buy a next gen console to play next gen games not last gen games with extra bells and whistles That's just gimping the experience of the consoles potential. More advanced games with better visuals, physics and potentially better gameplay will become the norm faster if developed games are not chained to ancient hardware. As a gamer, this is what I would favour. I'll buy one to play PS5 games not slightly better PS4 games.

Why are we pretending as if the newer systems are going to introduce new gameplay experiences, AI, physics etc? Its like we go through this cycle every console launch, where gamers are so caught up in the fantasy of a newer console and all the mystical possibilities. We have been playing the same games for the past 2 decades. The first couple or more years is old games and old formula with new paint. It has always been like that. If you two haven't realized this, then there is not much to say. 🤷‍♀️

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

One of the biggest promises of next gen is how it will fundamentally change how developers can create game experiences.

If that's actually true, then you shouldn't be able to port it to a last generation console. It's that simple.

It's good to see that Sony will focus on making PS5 games truly "next gen".

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45096 Posts

I'm an early adopter. It doesn't bother me. There are people in this forum that say they don't plan on buying a new console for a while anyway. They already have enough games.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

I believe Jim also hinted at the console reveal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Fresh news, welcome to like 5 months ago.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Pedro: "not in gamers favor"...

Sure man... whatever. Let me play my 360 game on my original gen Xbox. How about my Dreamcast game on Sega CD. No? How about my SNES game on my NES...

Oh... so it's always been done with a handful of exceptions?

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@Pedro said:
@floppydics said:
@wervenom said:

Why are we pretending as if the newer systems are going to introduce new gameplay experiences, AI, physics etc? Its like we go through this cycle every console launch, where gamers are so caught up in the fantasy of a newer console and all the mystical possibilities. We have been playing the same games for the past 2 decades. The first couple or more years is old games and old formula with new paint. It has always been like that. If you two haven't realized this, then there is not much to say. 🤷‍♀️

Except were not pretending. The difference between the gameplay experience between the PS3/360 and PS4/ XB1 was still pretty different. Worlds were far larger and more complexed. Visuals were vastly improved but the leap was not as massive as many would have hoped. The gap from the PS3 to PS2 from a gameplay perspective was huge though. I think the gap here will also be large.

Imagine completely seamless open worlds with thousands of NPC's with more complexed AI routines. This is possible because of next gen but not so much on cross gen titles.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Dr Cerny explained that the SSD will change how games get designed from the ground up. No longer do developers have to hide loading using long corridors, breaking up the levels in chunks or other such techniques. Instead developers can create the gaming space they want.

Above is only true if they can design the game for Ps5 only. If they are forced to make it cross gen, all the design benefits of ps5 vanishes.

I support Sony’s approach. Unleash the full creativity of the developers!

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

So long as the system retains BC with the PS4, then I'm not taken at back by this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Pedro said:

Lol, yep. That's what blind fanboyism does I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro: @hrt_rulz01: Look, we get it. You guys are cool with next gen games being held back by old gen tech. You do you, I guess. More power to you.

Meanwhile....

@wervenom said:
@Pedro said:

@floppydics said:
@wervenom said:
@Pedro said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

One of the biggest promises of next gen is how it will fundamentally change how developers can create game experiences.

If that's actually true, then you shouldn't be able to port it to a last generation console. It's that simple.

It's good to see that Sony will focus on making PS5 games truly "next gen".

@Telekill said:

@Pedro: "not in gamers favor"...

Sure man... whatever. Let me play my 360 game on my original gen Xbox. How about my Dreamcast game on Sega CD. No? How about my SNES game on my NES...

Oh... so it's always been done with a handful of exceptions?

@wervenom said:
@Pedro said:
@floppydics said:
@wervenom said:

Except were not pretending. The difference between the gameplay experience between the PS3/360 and PS4/ XB1 was still pretty different. Worlds were far larger and more complexed. Visuals were vastly improved but the leap was not as massive as many would have hoped. The gap from the PS3 to PS2 from a gameplay perspective was huge though. I think the gap here will also be large.

Imagine completely seamless open worlds with thousands of NPC's with more complexed AI routines. This is possible because of next gen but not so much on cross gen titles.

@Sushiglutton said:

Dr Cerny explained that the SSD will change how games get designed from the ground up. No longer do developers have to hide loading using long corridors, breaking up the levels in chunks or other such techniques. Instead developers can create the gaming space they want.

Above is only true if they can design the game for Ps5 only. If they are forced to make it cross gen, all the design benefits of ps5 vanishes.

I support Sony’s approach. Unleash the full creativity of the developers!

Yep to all of this.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Meh. I really don’t care if games are exclusive or not to any particular generation. If a game interests me then I’ll play it regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Support MS strategy? May as well buy an X then.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@Pedro said:

Exclusives have always been a huge part of gaming and console life. It's not the gamers fault for MS losing focus of that.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@ermacness said:
@Pedro said:

Exclusives have always been a huge part of gaming and console life. It's not the gamers fault for MS losing focus of that.

Being a huge part of gaming, and being favourable to gamers and/or the consumers, are two entirely different things. MS have gone toward a service model, which Sony has lethargically followed.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Meh. I really don’t care if games are exclusive or not to any particular generation. If a game interests me then I’ll play it regardless.

Best post I seen all day :)

I don't plan to buy PS5 anytime soon, but if I see an exclusive that looks so much fun, I don't mind purchasing PS5 to do so.

(If it comes to PC, then it'll be different)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Best post I seen all day :)

I don't plan to buy PS5 anytime soon, but if I see an exclusive that looks so much fun, I don't mind purchasing PS5 to do so.

(If it comes to PC, then it'll be different)

Thanks. 👍

Yeah, I just enjoy the games wherever I may find them.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I think this is a great move by Sony. But what are those exclusives exactly? Horizon Zero Dawn 2? Yeah I'm hyped for that but what else? We're currently in MS 'we got nothing but Halo Infinite' territory.

The Sony event needs to show something big or none of this matters. I currently have no reason to even contemplate buying a PS5. People won't buy a PS5 to play better versions of Ghosts or SJW Agenda Of Us 2.

Give me God of War 2, Nier Automata 2, a new Silent Hill game (not that DLC crap), something, anything, then we can all have a discussion. And no that whole look at how fast that SSD is thing doesn't count as a 'something'.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@blueinheaven: Wait for the conference for game annoumcements then make ur judgement.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

I think this is a great move by Sony. But what are those exclusives exactly? Horizon Zero Dawn 2? Yeah I'm hyped for that but what else? We're currently in MS 'we got nothing but Halo Infinite' territory.

The Sony event needs to show something big or none of this matters. I currently have no reason to even contemplate buying a PS5. People won't buy a PS5 to play better versions of Ghosts or SJW Agenda Of Us 2.

Give me God of War 2, Nier Automata 2, a new Silent Hill game (not that DLC crap), something, anything, then we can all have a discussion. And no that whole look at hh that SSD is thing doesn't count as a 'something'.

Yeah this pretty much dictates when I'll jump in, bloodborne2, gow2 on launch and I'm there day0

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blueinheaven

@howmakewood said:
@blueinheaven said:

Give me God of War 2, Nier Automata 2, a new Silent Hill game (not that DLC crap), something, anything, then we can all have a discussion. And no that whole look at hh that SSD is thing doesn't count as a 'something'.

Yeah this pretty much dictates when I'll jump in, bloodborne2, gow2 on launch and I'm there day0

To be honest, Bloodborne 2 alone would be enough. But they have that whole Elden Ring thing going on so it's unlikely. Elden Ring at launch would of course also make it day one lol.

Basically, Sony please light a fire up From Software's ass and we're all good.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro:

Yeah like charging for free to play games.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blueinheaven
@sakaixx said:

@blueinheaven: Wait for the conference for game annoumcements then make ur judgement.

That's the plan.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

I buy next gen game consoles to play next gen games. If it so happens to be backwards compatable then that's fine. There needs to be incentives to purchase that new hardware. I love what MS is doing with their BC program, but by making sure Series X has no exclusives for 2 years is a mistake.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lundy86_4

@nfamouslegend said:

I buy next gen game consoles to play next gen games. If it so happens to be backwards compatable then that's fine. There needs to be incentives to purchase that new hardware. I love what MS is doing with their BC program, but by making sure Series X has no exclusives for 2 years is a mistake.

Xbox has no exclusives full stop. They are all multiplat with PC.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@clone01:

That apply to both multiplatforms and exclusives and both PS and xbox

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@lundy86_4:

But Sony still believes in exclusives, just like Nintendo, PC, and even mobile gaming. It seems like the ONLY platform that no longer host exclusives is the Xbox.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 floppydics

@blueinheaven said:
@howmakewood said:
@blueinheaven said:

To be honest, Bloodborne 2 alone would be enough. But they have that whole Elden Ring thing going on so it's unlikely. Elden Ring at launch would of course also make it day one lol.

Basically, Sony please light a fire up From Software's ass and we're all good.

Yep I would crack instantly for Bloodborne 2 :) c'mon sony do it. I've bought many consoles when there is just one game I have to play. Bought 360 for Dead Rising, PS3 for MGS4, PS4 for Bloodborne etc. Fingers crossed for Silent Hill.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26095 Posts

@ermacness said:

@lundy86_4:

But Sony still believes in exclusives, just like Nintendo, PC, and even mobile gaming. It seems like the ONLY platform that no longer host exclusives is the Xbox.

I doubt MS's future games made by all their new studios will be on Switch and Playstation, or even Mac and Linux. They will be exclusive to Microsoft products, so Xbox and Windows.

Even if a game is available on Xbox One, Xbox Series, and Windows 10; it is still exclusive to Microsoft, much like Xenoblade is a Nintendo exclusive despite being on Switch, 3DS, and Wii.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4

@Willy105 said:

I doubt MS's future games made by all their new studios will be on Switch and Playstation, or even Mac and Linux. They will be exclusive to Microsoft products, so Xbox and Windows.

Even if a game is available on Xbox One, Xbox Series, and Windows 10; it is still exclusive to Microsoft, much like Xenoblade is a Nintendo exclusive despite being on Switch, 3DS, and Wii.

That's... Never how SW worked. It has always been on one system, no matter how individuals tried to change the meaning.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Shots fired!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26095 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@Willy105 said:

That's... Never how SW worked. It has always been on one system, no matter how individuals tried to change the meaning.

That's not how Microsoft will see it though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Shots fired!

Yeah blanks lol.
Yeah blanks lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Shots fired!

Yeah blanks lol.
Yeah blanks lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pedro
@wervenom said:

Different? What are we experiencing now that is pretty different to that of the 360/PS3 era outside of prettier graphics?

We already have completely seamless open worlds with hundreds not thousands of NPCs. If complex AI wasn't important before don't expect that it would randomly be important now. What most gamers with these fantasy ideas don't consider is how does my fantasy feature add to the gaming experience? How practical is my fantasy idea? What are the actual limitations of my idea? As I have said before, we go through this dance every console launch and the most played, most desired games, most recognized games are the games with the same formula and are typically sequels. Stop pretending.

@subspecies don't act like you venture much outside the same experiences. Didn't you played a cross gen game and played the sequel to the game twice at full price? (Persona 5 Royal Edition). So, don't act like you are anticipating new experiences and that current gen is going to hold back gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro: No need for essays, dude. You're buried in this thread.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@subspecies said:

@Pedro: No need for essays, dude. You're buried in this thread.

That's nice, now address the non essay issue I call you out on. :)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@subspecies said:

@Pedro: @hrt_rulz01: Look, we get it. You guys are cool with next gen games being held back by old gen tech. You do you, I guess. More power to you.

And yet I'm betting that the vast majority of games will look/run better on XSX. But hey, we get it. You guys are cool with Sony giving you less options. More power to you :)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I don't know why so many people are acting as though this is a bad thing. It has been this way for every console generation and definitely the way I want to see it continue.

I'm not hating on MS for doing something different and shaking up the formula, but next gen exclusives have me the most excited.

Is it time to start actually revealing shit yet? lol..

The 4th can't come fast enough.. unless the show is as bad or worse than MS's showing of multiplay indie cut scene compilations with shitty camera angles flashing by 1,000 mph giving everyone seizures.. lol. Deh gampley..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro: Okay, dude.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@hrt_rulz01: Key word: betting.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@subspecies said:

@Pedro: Okay, dude.

Talks about new experiences, hype up a cross gen game and pay full price for the same game twice. LMAO. Buh buh we want new experiences.