Unless You Wire Your House You Cannot Bitch About Downloads

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Seems that lately the new hot thing to bitch about are how games, DLC, add ons, patches take time to download. No matter if it's on console or PC there's more and more bitching.

New rule: You don't get to bitch about download sizes and speeds unless you wire your house.

This is 2015, digital is a thing no matter if it's from a store like Live or PSN or retail disks that install the downloader for Steam. This is the world we live in and unless you keep up with that world you can't bitch and complain about it.

If you want to have wireless where you live, that's fine, but also know that you don't matter. You are the person doing it wrong and no one is going to listen to someone doing it wrong.

The Wii U only has wireless, and........ah who am I kidding? It's not like those people have anything to download and play.

For people with real gaming hardware wiring your house is one of those things that you need to do to keep up.

Also I don't want to hear "I can't", if you refuse to put yourself in that position that's fine but understand it's you who is to blame for whatever problems you encounter.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

New Rule: You don't get to make posts anymore

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Right, way to skip over the part where a lot of people's issues involve using the console's awful wireless cards. Steam wirelessly is a dream. The consoles wirelessly are mediocre, and hooking them up to a router, especially under the TV in an entertainment stand, is just ugly.

Sorry you're okay with lower standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

...... OK

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

I think even the wired speed ppl complain about. Im curious tho semi satified to why it isnt the same speed as pcs and phones. My guess is w.e tech involed wudda been to exspensive on a mass level

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Another reason PS4 and Xbox One kinda suck, games take wayyyyyy too long and consume wayyyyy too much space. Steam does it nicely though, they provide some very nice speeds. Nintendo also does nicley since their games are so small and dont require all them big patches and installs to run good.

Seems like the other companies are more worried about quantity over quality, which is a shame. Good thing is businesses like that are easily replaced when something better comes along.

Also, wiring your house up? What is this, the 1990's?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@lostrib said:

^

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Right, way to skip over the part where a lot of people's issues involve using the console's awful wireless cards. Steam wirelessly is a dream. The consoles wirelessly are mediocre, and hooking them up to a router, especially under the TV in an entertainment stand, is just ugly.

Sorry you're okay with lower standards.

Who the Christ is hooking them to a router under the TV?

Don't you understand what it means to have a wired house?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

My entire apartment is wired, the download speeds are still horrible... This is not an issue of what we're not doing, it's something on their end, Steam for example maxes out my connection, XBL and PSN don't even come close...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Seems that lately the new hot thing to bitch about are how games, DLC, add ons, patches take time to download. No matter if it's on console or PC there's more and more bitching.

New rule: You don't get to bitch about download sizes and speeds unless you wire your house.

This is 2015, digital is a thing no matter if it's from a store like Live or PSN or retail disks that install the downloader for Steam. This is the world we live in and unless you keep up with that world you can't bitch and complain about it.

If you want to have wireless where you live, that's fine, but also know that you don't matter. You are the person doing it wrong and no one is going to listen to someone doing it wrong.

The Wii U only has wireless, and........ah who am I kidding? It's not like those people have anything to download and play.

For people with real gaming hardware wiring your house is one of those things that you need to do to keep up.

Also I don't want to hear "I can't", if you refuse to put yourself in that position that's fine but understand it's you who is to blame for whatever problems you encounter.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have great DL speeds and a one of the best wifi routers on the market. I haven't needed to back to wires, but I feel for those that have slower services.
Factor in 50+ GB single game DLs and people are bound to be annoyed when the compare DL 250MB-2GB games last gen or on PC or whatever.

The install times can be an additional annoyance, especially the slow Xbone installs, but I just do something else and it's fine.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

My goodness it's funny how just one dumb & stupid post can derail your thoughts about someone completely. I used to think highly of TC buy now I've seen the errors of my ways.

This is one of the worst threads I've read since This year began Jan 1st - and it's said because I don't think I'll read anything worst than this again with almost some 2 more months left to go.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Its not my fault you have third world internet. Its time to move on from dial up.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Uh huh... and some people are stuck with certain ISPs as they're the only ones available in their areas. Some people have fantastic speeds, but then get throttled or capped, so they don't want to download scores of gigs worth of data. As someone already said here, their apartment IS wired and they still get crap speeds. People should not have to uproot their entire lives to move to areas where the best speeds are available just so YOU don't have to hear them bitch about it anymore. Christ, you are a brat.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

wired helps with the ping but bandwidth is the same wired or wireless in my experience.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

someone should make a separate thread saying don't bitch about MS/Sony download speeds if you have a shitty bandwidth from you ISP

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I'm fully wireless at my house and download speeds only affect my consoles. My PC works gloriously on Wi-Fi... The blame isn't solely to lay at the foot of a wireless network, as most newer routers are decently fast. You're to blame if you have a horrid setup, sure.

Connecting to Google DNS on my PS4 mildly speeds up my D/L speeds, but slow is still slow.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

"For people with real gaming hardware wiring your house is one of those things that you need to do to keep up."

Well, thing is I have a belief that gaming should strive to be mass market. And there is no way a casual gamer would bother to wire their house just to be able to download a videogame faster. I personally wouldn't either. I fail to see where you're coming from that wireless people are the ones "doing it wrong" when wireless is the superior choice in pretty much all areas except response time.

Game companies should be the ones to adapt, not us. And this is I think historically the problem with the game market. Game companies do x, and we all have to put up or shut up. This whole idea of somehow we owe it to THEM and connect our consoles with wires in order to use games properly is absurd. The massive download sizes and day one patches aren't there to improve gaming. It's the result of dilapidation and laziness in the games industry. Even if each of us wired our homes like you say we should, it would probably just result in download sizes becoming bigger. Telling us to wire our homes is almost like telling us we should buy microtransactions for the sake of the industry, and that the people who choose not to are "doing it wrong".

That's not how capitalism works. If someone released a smartphone that required running a cable all the way from your pocket to a landline in your house, nobody would buy that phone no matter how good it is. If you were the one person in the world who bought that phone and loved it, it would be foolhardy for you to insist that other people buy it too so that it doesn't become obsolete, even though you know fully well that such a phone would be impractical for most people. You're basically just demanding that everyone caters to your needs.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

I can bitch about anything I want. That's the great thing about being human

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

"this is 2015" and making an argument against going wireless is sort of a contradiction. I understand where you are coming from, but the fact that this bothers you enough to make a thread about it tells me all I need to know about you.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@kingsfan_0333 said:

"this is 2015" and making an argument against going wireless is sort of a contradiction.

Exactly.

Also, why not take it a step further and chide anyone who uses a game console in the first place? (instead of gaming on PC) Because that's another example of having "inferior" for the sake of convenience. Come to think of it, the fact we've managed to get game companies to develop for console at all is a success story. (instead of them making all games PC exclusive) Sadly however the convenience and value of consoles is whittling away and the OP seems to be ok with it.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

What an insanely stupid post.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@lostrib said:

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I think a big part of these complaints are user error combined with people having faulty installs of their internet services. Lots of ISPs nowadays have built in restrictions in their hardware to purposefully make it difficult to download large files or use streaming services.

My basis for saying this I work for a major service provider in the RNOC and I also have 10 years experience as an installer/service technician.

I have 300 Mb internet and use a 7200rpm external hdd. I don't have long install times or download times for even the largest games. I only buy digital. Only time i personally have ever had an issue is when the XBL itself was having issues.

I think the default 5400 hdds in consoles cause part of the issue and people having their routers configured wrong also causes a big chunk of it. And most people with bad internet connections overall have bad wiring in their home. installers are lazy and/or pressed for time and won't replace your wiring during your install unless they absolutely have to most of the time. If you are using a 10+ year old drop odds are its chewed up by squirrels and you have all kind of ingress causing your internet to be crap.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@lostrib said:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@oflow said:

I think a big part of these complaints are user error combined with people having faulty installs of their internet services. Lots of ISPs nowadays have built in restrictions in their hardware to purposefully make it difficult to download large files or use streaming services.

My basis for saying this I work for a major service provider in the RNOC and I also have 10 years experience as an installer/service technician.

I have 300 Mb internet and use a 7200rpm external hdd. I don't have long install times or download times for even the largest games. I only buy digital. Only time i personally have ever had an issue is when the XBL itself was having issues.

I think the default 5400 hdds in consoles cause part of the issue and people having their routers configured wrong also causes a big chunk of it. And most people with bad internet connections overall have bad wiring in their home. installers are lazy and/or pressed for time and won't replace your wiring during your install unless they absolutely have to most of the time. If you are using a 10+ year old drop odds are its chewed up by squirrels and you have all kind of ingress causing your internet to be crap.

Yes I have experience with an ISP doing that. And the only way to solve bad ISP's in your city/town is competition or ethical hacks/sabotage of trunk line which is highly illegal/collective boycott of ISP which won't happen unless you're Ghandi. Maybe you can convince the people of your town/city to become their own ISP? I looked it up once because I was considering it and it's not impossible but it's very expensive to set up. I.E. you will need tens of thousands of people on your side. In some cities it may be extremely easy to reach the numbers you need. But the whole project is extremely complicated. Check out Google Fiber who are essentially creating new municipal ISP's that they then run through.

In my country they are countering this by offering a lot of 'all in one' packages so that people wouldn't be so eager to switch ISP, as they would then also need to switch TV/phone providers. Luckily ISP's tend to be so bad at doing their jobs that there are thousands of people per city willing to pay extra (and often they were paying 5 times too much to begin with) to not have to deal with their ISP again.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2015/03/09/start-your-own-isp/

This won't change without people collectively taking a stand. So, let it get bad enough, and then collectively give them the middlefinger.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I know for a fact that here, in the UK unless you are buying a newly built and I'm talking so new they are still building the other houses on the lot around you, you won't have any built in ethernet connections unless you decide to rip apart your house and do it yourself. Even then, the state of our telecommunications network is so bad. The cable network is overloaded and Virgin and BT can't see eye to eye without being forced to by the Government and the standard copper phone line system is still running on the same connections that were used during the Victorian times!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I have Wifi download speeds of 5-6MB/sec. That's what I pay for with my ISP.

Wiring means shit unless you play competitively online.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@lostrib said:

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@lostrib said:

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

I don't have the internet.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Man, OP is so full of shit it's amazing.

When you have an internet connection that gives you 100mbps down and PSN still takes several hours to download 5 gigs, that's PSN being a piece of shit.

Xbox Live and PSN are kinda shitty networks, and now that we live in a world where games are sometimes dozens of gigabytes.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@lostrib: I lol'd. Nice.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@skelly34 said:
@lostrib said:

Useless thread

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I like to bitch about other people bitching.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Wireless routers will get better and better as time goes by.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I agree with you about people not bitching about it if there is a better alternative but wireless users are not "doing it wrong." It just doesn't matter that much to most people.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

I have 1st world internet, I never bitch about internet speed.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Too bad even when wired my BloodborneStation can't use all my bandwidth, POS paid network

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Big_Red_Button said:

When you have an internet connection that gives you 100mbps down and PSN still takes several hours to download 5 gigs, that's PSN being a piece of shit.

Xbox Live and PSN are kinda shitty networks, and now that we live in a world where games are sometimes dozens of gigabytes.

He has history of it.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

But I am running my Wii U Wired though @Jaysonguy

I agree though that Wired is the way to go when dealing with online gaming in general especially fighting games. The Ethernet adapters don't cost that much so I don't understand why more people arent using Wired connections as they make everything run more smoothly and constant.

I'll never go back to Wireless when it comes to online gaming.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@Buckhannah said:

What an insanely stupid post.

usule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 usule
Member since 2003 • 1734 Posts

I'd rather use a wireless solution with fiber optic than having dsl or cable wired... (i'll never move somewhere without fiber optic internet, just can't) but yes being wired is always better if you can and it doesn't ruin your living room.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

I should be able to download a 50Gb game in under 30 mins,. but i cant cause the PS4 networks is utter crap.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Ok, took your advice and just rewired my house. I don't see a difference.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#47 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@Big_Red_Button said:

Exactly.

Doesnt matter how good your service is if the service you are trying to download games from is shit. PSN has always been shit for downloading games.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

My PC and XB1 are wired and there is a significant difference. A game download can take 15 mins or less on Steam while a game on XB1 can take hours. Even the speed test on Xbone is shenanigans and differs from my PC. I don't know why it's that way, but it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@nini200 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

But I am running my Wii U Wired though @Jaysonguy

I agree though that Wired is the way to go when dealing with online gaming in general especially fighting games. The Ethernet adapters don't cost that much so I don't understand why more people arent using Wired connections as they make everything run more smoothly and constant.

I'll never go back to Wireless when it comes to online gaming.

True, but this doesnt mean we should stop fighting for faster wireless speeds. Wireless is still the future and way more convenient then having a wired connection.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

The PS4 download thing does have a nasty flaw though that I thought was a joke at the time. The PS4 continuously hammers your DNS server, and depending on what DNS server you are using it ends up slowing down your download because it's constantly trying to find a faster server.

The only way I could fix it to a reasonable speed was to run a DNS cache on my Linux server specifically for the PS4, so instead of hammering the DNS multiple times a second the server does it every few seconds and gives the PS4 the same response for it's request in between lookups.

You should not need to do that it's idiotic.