Unless you love RPG's read this before buying Mass Effect , then don't

This topic is locked from further discussion.

macmutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 macmutt
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts

I used to have a 360 Elite up until about 3 weeks ago, and i was waiting for this game forever like everyone else, well my brother-in law, who lives right down the street picked it up on launch day and he saw me on Thanksgiving and he couldn't stop telling me how great the game is so much so that i even recommended it to my friend before i even saw or played it, and i'm going to be getting a Wii in a few days but he actually had me second guessing that.

So i goto his house today to finally see Mass Effect, now he was about 2 hours into the game and i saw it from this point where he was in a small gunfight and he had to disarm like 4 bombs, and these moronic enemies have the worst A.I. i ever saw their actually running right up to you and your men just to get blasted, not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3-D world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.

Then it goes into a cutscene and then he and his crew are flying in their ship to an even larger ship and then the snooze fest begins, he starts exploring this whole area and having all these long drawn out conversations with people and i finally asked him, do you have to talk to all these people, and he said yeah it helps add to your experience points.

So before you know it, it's been over an hour since he arrived on this ship and that 3 minute gunfight and when we finally shut it off to goto dinner he was still on the ship talking to people when we shut it off, it was then i knew that the only game i missed out on since i traded my 360 Elite was Call of Duty 4 and i didn't even miss out on it because he got that on launch day too and i've played it like 4 times already.

I myself already had and beat such 360 titles like Gears of war, Oblivion, Crackdown, Bioshock, Call of Duty 2 & 3, The Orange Box, Halo 3, so it was then i realized i wasn't missing anything and the Wii and Super Mario Galaxy were looking better and better.

I even tried to call my friend to tell him not to buy Mass Effect after all but it was too late, infact he had just gotten to the part with the big ship where the real boredom was about to begin, so he is now returning it tomorrow and switching it for Bioshock per my recommendation.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
People who don't like RPGs won't like Mass Effect, a known RPG? Someone give this man a Nobel Prize!
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3d world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.
macmutt
IT'S NOT AN FPS!!! I mean, come on! It's an RPG, that offers action-level controls. It's not meant to challenge your twitch reflexes like Gears of War.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

now he was about 2 hours into the game and i saw it from this point where he was in a small gunfight and he had to disarm like 4 bombs, and these moronic enemies have the worst A.I. i ever saw their actually running right up to you and your men just to get blasted, not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3-D world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.

macmutt

You do realize that is the tutorial right?

I really doubt he was 2 hours in. The part where you disarm the Geth bombs is in the tutorial. Also, you were fighting Husks, the easiest enemy in the game designed to have no AI but to run at you.

Your treating this game like a shooter, its an RPG.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
The AI that rushes you (mostly black charred like skin with glowing blue) are not meant to be intelligent beings. They are meant to be changed humans, kinda like zombies.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

While the AI isn't top notch (I have more basic issues, ones the player can't control)you can control your allies with commands via the d-pad. So if you find them getting wasted, than 1. their level/equipmentshould be looked at, and 2. they need a better "commander".

He's at the beginning of the game? What do you expect the difficulty to be like exactly?

Of course there is conversing, it is a RPG, I mean did I miss something all these months/years the games been in production? I mean all the previews, and a lot of the hype surrounded the talking the game had.

:|

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts

Nobody cares that you have a bad taste in games, blog it.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Sounds like an great RPG to me.
Carnagration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Carnagration
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

so you yoursefl DIDNT PLAY MASS EFFECT? but are handing out these recommendations

burn my fellow man BURN

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
looks like some people actually forgot that mass effect is an RPG and not a basic 3rd person shooter
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -RPGamer-

so you yoursefl DIDNT PLAY MASS EFFECT? but are handing out these recommendations

burn my fellow man BURN

Carnagration

Yeah another interesting point, I mean I should do that too, watch some vids and make a final call on a game.

BTW your sig about 2% vs 98%. Wouldn't the 2% really be the rebels, and the 98% just be following masses? :P

V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts
This is an RPG, not Halo. Maybe you're too young to understand how an RPG works, but you're supposed to talk to people and gain information. You're supposed to take your time and explore and find stuff. Go back to Halo 3. Sigh. Mazel tov.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -RPGamer-

looks like some people actually forgot that mass effect is an RPG and not a basic 3rd person shooterlawlessx

It was bound to happen, a market (the 360) full of shorter fans... aRPG with TPS elements. It was bound to cause confusion, which is what we're seeing I believe.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]looks like some people actually forgot that mass effect is an RPG and not a basic 3rd person shooter-RPGamer-

It was bound to happen, a market (the 360) full of shorter fans... aRPG with TPS elements. It was bound to cause confusion, which is what we're seeing I believe.

yeah i guess it was bound to happen,but it was bioware's goal to combine the 2 genres and get those who werent always into RPG's to try it out .

btw..not all 360 fans are short :lol:

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts

:lol: If you treat Mass Effect like a third person shooter your going to get pwned. I learned the hard way :(

It's an RPG, get over it. Calling it a third person shooter is like calling Final Fantasy a hack and slash because you kill your enemies with swords.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]looks like some people actually forgot that mass effect is an RPG and not a basic 3rd person shooterlawlessx

yeah i guess it was bound to happen,but it was bioware's goal to combine the 2 genres and get those who werent always into RPG's to try it out .

btw..not all 360 fans are short :lol:

LOL it was a decent typo :P

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
I thought this thread would be worth my time. I was mistaken.
macmutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 macmutt

This is an RPG, not Halo. Maybe you're too young to understand how an RPG works, but you're supposed to talk to people and gain information. You're supposed to take your time and explore and find stuff. Go back to Halo 3. Sigh. Mazel tov.V_Isle

Uh sorry dude i'm definetly not too young, i'm almost 39 years old with 2 kids and i've owned every console ever made since consoles were invented and i've also had like 15 different PC's and Macs throughout my life, i even listed in my post that i had and beat Oblivion, and i love such games like Baldurs Gate, Warccraft, Fable, Age of Empires 3, Heroes of Might & Magic, Dungeon Siege, i love certain RPG's and hack & slashers, infact the only game that i can recall that got similar ratings and was very similar to Mass Effect was Knights of the Old Republic and i hated K.O.T.O.R with a passion, that was another game that was very misleading in it's trailers and ended up putting me to sleep, i returned that game the very next day.

So i know how RPG's work but this won unfortunately starts out much too slow and i don't think too many people are going to have the patience to sit through over 2 hours of it with the hopes that it will get better as far as action and story go. Honestly i wish it did grab and entice you more for the first few hours, that way maybe people wouldn't be so quick to get bored with it and trade it in.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

I guess ignorant Halo 3 kids with short attention span who don't know what an RPG is, and that Mass Effect is one, would need to be illuminated. But for us bystandars this thread is a tad bizarre.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts

[QUOTE="V_Isle"]This is an RPG, not Halo. Maybe you're too young to understand how an RPG works, but you're supposed to talk to people and gain information. You're supposed to take your time and explore and find stuff. Go back to Halo 3. Sigh. Mazel tov.macmutt

Uh sorry dude i'm definetly not too young, i'm almost 39 years old with 2 kids and i've owned every console ever made since consoles were invented and i've also had like 15 different PC's and Macs throughout my life, i even listed in my post that i had and beat Oblivion, and i love such games like Baldurs Gate, Warccraft, Fable, Age of Empires 3, Heroes of Might & Magic, Dungeon Siege, i love certain RPG's and hack & slashers, infact the only game that i can recall that got similar ratings and was very similar to Mass Effect was Knights of the Old Republic and i hated K.O.T.O.R with a passion, that was another game that was very misleading in it's trailers and ended up putting me to sleep, i returned that game the very next day.

So i know how RPG's work but this won unfortunately starts out much too slow and i don't think too many people are going to have the patience to sit through over 2 hours of it with the hopes that it will get better as far as action and story go. Honestly i wish it did grab and entice you more for the first few hours, that way maybe people wouldn't be so quick to get bored with it and trade it in.

HMMM WONDER WHY IT'S ALOT LIKE KOTOR...Oh yeah! Mass Effect is the spiritual successor to KOTOR and made by the same people...

macmutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 macmutt

I guess ignorant Halo 3 kids with short attention span who don't know what an RPG is, and that Mass Effect is one, would need to be illuminated. But for us bystandars this thread is a tad bizarre.

InsaneBasura

Dude do you read replies or not i just got finished listing my age and experience with gaming, i'm pretty sure i've been playing RPG's longer than you've been alive.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

macmutt

Dude do you read replies or not i just got finished listing my age and experience with gaming, i'm pretty sure i've been playing RPG's longer than you've been alive.

Clearly you're not quite the rpg fan you claim to be.

JimmyT2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JimmyT2
Member since 2007 • 771 Posts
Don't buy Halo 3 if your looking for a train simulator. You have been warned.
MrPostman4Chi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrPostman4Chi
Member since 2006 • 1219 Posts
Mass Effect is the best rpg i have playedon a next gen console to this day.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

macmutt

I clicked the reply button before you hit the submit buttun, therefore it was not possible for me to read your post. But your first post still makes you sound like a chesterpuffler. It's a new word I just made up.

I guess you're one of those weirdos who prefer RPGs for their repetitive hack n slashing and dungeon crawlering rather than actual roleplaying then. The whole branching dialog/consequences thing is what made Vampire Bloodlines so friggin great. Troika hade more humor than Bioware though.

And I refuse to believe 39 year old people use "dude" in their vocabulary. Chesterpuffler is a lot more hip.

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

It just seems like the TC is very impatient, even though hes "almost 40 with 2 kids". I played almost all of Biowares games and I dont understand why you wouldnt like KOTOR or ME, its kind of baffling. You seem like your more into "Hold me by the Hand JRPG's" now.

Note: You might want to blog this next time, since you should know better being older then 99% of this board.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
You talk to a lot people in RPGs mister :|
2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts

[QUOTE="V_Isle"]This is an RPG, not Halo. Maybe you're too young to understand how an RPG works, but you're supposed to talk to people and gain information. You're supposed to take your time and explore and find stuff. Go back to Halo 3. Sigh. Mazel tov.macmutt

wow man. just wow. if you are even remotley into RPGS then you will LOVEMass Effect. Sounds like you should stop playing games and tend to those children of yours. Mass effect is to time consuming for you, i mean youHAVE to talk to people. JESUS! so boring

jbisco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jbisco25
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts

Sounds like an great RPG to me.dream431ca

ive just got the game, and i think i one of the best RPG ever made.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

RPG's always start slow. Anyone that has played one would know this.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts

RPG's always start slow. Anyone that has played one would know this.

Bgrngod
I'm wiping it off :P
zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 zayas_81
Member since 2004 • 1743 Posts
Judging and recomending an RPG based on watching your hapless brother inlaw play the tutorial section sounds very juvenile, that's why everyone is accusing you of being an Aterol gulping teenager, in retrospect that would've been better than a midlife male with very poor decision making skills...
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Bioware RPG's always start off horribly slow to get everybody and everything introduced properly. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, and this too.
supermanfarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 supermanfarr
Member since 2006 • 888 Posts

[QUOTE="macmutt"]not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3d world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.
lowe0
IT'S NOT AN FPS!!! I mean, come on! It's an RPG, that offers action-level controls. It's not meant to challenge your twitch reflexes like Gears of War.

I love how people keep saying this. Im 8 hrs in and it feels like a crappy 3rd person shooter with dialog. If its not a shooter why is there so much shooting???????? This is a shooter, this is a rps. I dont see how people cant see this you shoot ALOT the mako shooting is a crappy version of car in geows. Im stuck right now where I have to SHOOT my way tru a boss battle. It is the most annoying part of a game I have ever experianced. I think maybe Im there to soon and not a high enough level. It shouldnt be this hard.

crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts

People who don't like RPGs won't like Mass Effect, a known RPG? Someone give this man a Nobel Prize!PBSnipes

Applauds, thank you, this is NOT GRAW

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#36 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

That's nice, your an adult. Too bad that you have not been able to come to the realization by now that your opinion does not equal fact. Just because you have came to the conclusion that you think the game sucks, even though you have not played it yourself, it certainly does not mean that nobody else should bother playing the game just because you say so, lol.

Besides, your sour opinion concerning Mass Effect and especially KotOR here is in the minority by far. What further adds to the hilarity of it though, is the fact that you have not even played the game, you just watched someone else play the opening level, lol. "Don't get this game, I saw alot of talking in the ship, what a bore fest." :lol:....RPG fans who read this topic are laughing heartily right about now.

In closing, just because you do not like it, it does not mean that everyone should go sell their 360's and pick up a Wii and a copy of Mario Galaxy like you. Let people make their own decisions, man. And at least try and actually play a game before telling people how much it sucks.

Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts
[QUOTE="macmutt"]

now he was about 2 hours into the game and i saw it from this point where he was in a small gunfight and he had to disarm like 4 bombs, and these moronic enemies have the worst A.I. i ever saw their actually running right up to you and your men just to get blasted, not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3-D world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.

Danm_999

You do realize that is the tutorial right?

I really doubt he was 2 hours in. The part where you disarm the Geth bombs is in the tutorial. Also, you were fighting Husks, the easiest enemy in the game designed to have no AI but to run at you.

Your treating this game like a shooter, its an RPG.

if what he ^ said is true ( since i havent played ME ) then TC got OWNED

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts

I find it funny. I remember trying to convince people time and again (not only me, most mass effect fans) that this is an RPG first and foremost and not a shooter. Now that some people have played it, they are complaining that it's too much of an rpg and not a shooter...

I knew what I was gonna get from mass effect when I found out who it was made by and after watching a few videos. And after playing it, I can say that it's better than I was expecting. I wouldn't trade this game for any other. Hell, if mass effect 2 doesn't come to the 360, then whatever system is on is gonna be mine.

Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="macmutt"]not to mention my brother in law is the worst player at 1st & 3rd person shooters you ever saw, he just has no coordination in the 3d world and yet he was picking off these enemies without losing an ounce of health, i mean c'mon these little shoot outs were so pathetically easy.
supermanfarr

I love how people keep saying this. Im 8 hrs in and it feels like a crappy 3rd person shooter with dialog. If its not a shooter why is there so much shooting???????? This is a shooter, this is a rps. I dont see how people cant see this you shoot ALOT the mako shooting is a crappy version of car in geows. Im stuck right now where I have to SHOOT my way tru a boss battle. It is the most annoying part of a game I have ever experianced. I think maybe Im there to soon and not a high enough level. It shouldnt be this hard.

Man, you must suck with the mako.
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts
Hey, there are two types of extremes... Those who crave a story and those who crave non stop action... So far being 10 hours in to the game I find that Mass Effect has been about 70% exploration/sidequests 30% Geth blasting (which has been incredibly fun/cutting edge/no two fights are the same stuff) thats not to speak for the rest of the game, again, I'm ten hours in and my last save is in the middle of action sequences.... by the end it could e 50/50.... Fact is, I can't stop playing this game... It has consumed me.... don't listen to the T.C.... if you appreciate ledgendery games than Mass Effect should not be missed... by anyone...
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

I find it funny. I remember trying to convince people time and again (not only me, most mass effect fans) that this is an RPG first and foremost and not a shooter. Now that some people have played it, they are complaining that it's too much of an rpg and not a shooter...

I knew what I was gonna get from mass effect when I found out who it was made by and after watching a few videos. And after playing it, I can say that it's better than I was expecting. I wouldn't trade this game for any other. Hell, if mass effect 2 doesn't come to the 360, then whatever system is on is gonna be mine.

astiop
ME 2 is going to be on the V-Smile, just so you know.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

Nobody cares that you have a bad taste in games, blog it.

TheGTAvaccine

And nobody cares about your ignorant opinion.