Universal Windows Applications Running on Xbox One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795143

http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/15937/2014-04-01_22-45-35.jpg

http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-build-2014-live-blog/

Hmm.. maybe Xbox Tablets/ ph/ablets in the distant future?

EDIT: Can't seem to use the img feature.

From The Verge:

Microsoft is introducing universal Windows apps, a way for developers to create a single app that works across Windows phones, tablets, PCs, and the Xbox One. "All of us want the same app experiences across all devices," David Treadwell, a Microsoft operating system executive said while introducing the new type of apps. "Yet today there’s no easy way to create apps that work across all form factors."

"I DON'T HAVE TO BUY A DIFFERENT APP FOR THE PHONE AND THE PC."

That's changing within Microsoft's ecosystem, as Treadwell demonstrated on stage at Microsoft's Build developer conference while showing features coming in Windows 8.1and Windows Phone 8.1 updates. Microsoft says that this should be easy for developers to implement, as much of the code can be reused across the different platforms. Of course, the biggest benefit may be the simplicity for users: "I don't have to buy a different app for the phone and the PC," Treadwell said. And because it's a single app that's running across all screens, everything handled by the cloud should sync across them, including notifications and in-app purchases.

Microsoft's tools will allow developers to tweak a single app's interface based on both the form factor that it's running on and whether it's being used with or without a mouse and keyboard. Demonstrating how it's done using Visual Studio, Kevin Gallo, Microsoft's developer ecosystem director, said that developers will be able to "do some tuning to make apps pop on each form factor." On the Xbox One, developers will also be able to tweak their apps to work with the controller and Kinect.

90 Seconds of The Verge: Microsoft Build 2014

Though a single app can run across all four platforms, you may have to pay for access to the different platforms separately. Microsoft said that developers could require a user to pay for their app on both a phone and PC or have a single purchase grant access to them both. While that may not thrill users, it should allow developers to avoid the trouble of splitting up apps — which has been a recurring problem for developers on iOS.

Allowing apps to run across all of its platforms has appeared to be a goal of Microsoft's for some time now, and it's a powerful move now that it's here. If it works as well as Microsoft says it does, this could allows users to easily move their work or progress from one screen to another without effort. It could also encourage developers to bring their apps to Microsoft's less used platforms, helping to flesh out their app offerings. It's a major change for Windows and Xbox, and the end result will likely be a more seamless experience for users of multiple Microsoft platforms.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Xbox tablets?

they already have Windows tablets, which is that this is referring to

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By T-razor1
Member since 2002 • 1164 Posts

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j2zon2591

@T-razor1 said:

Thanks.. I couldn't do it.. either with FF or Opera.. I used to be able to but i can't today for some reason.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

KB/M support please and thank you.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

not usefu if my laptop is in the same room my xbox is so i already have access to it so have fun though ,

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Lemmings who mocked indie games on PS4 will be now be claiming PowerPoint on Xbone will be a killer app. Top lel.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 j2zon2591

@magicalclick said:

Xbox Phablet won't work because Xbox is still a high power gaming machine, which a phablet won't be powerful enough. Besides, if you want a tablet, just get one already and there are plenty of games on it, just not as advanced as Xbox. I think it would be nice to play some Universal Game on Xbox, especially this could be a good replacement for XBL Indie Channel. Definitely want this with cloud save, so, I can game anywhere anytime on all windows devices.

I think it's possible maybe 5 - 7 years from now when X1's sell for like 300 bucks or less.. but still there's some good points under what you're trying to say.

I bet that the Surface 5 Pro Tablet/Slate and up (or from other competing Windows vendors by that time) will be close enough to X1 in multi-platform gaming performance. Maybe less or no AA and worse shadows.

The Surface 5 will probably be $ 899 during its release, but after a few months, expect a $ 500 tag (look at Surface Pro 1's today).

Wonder if Power Point with Kinect would be cool.

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

I can think about several apps I want on the Xbox One

• Weather, maps with traffic, finance (stock ticker), news, sport scores, Twitter - all of these would be really useful snapped.
  • Viber, Line, WhatApps - to do voice/video calling similar to Skype
  • Pandora, I Heart Radio, Spotify - must be runnable in background

I think that all of these are available for Windows 8 and/or Windows Phone 8 already.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@farrell2k said:

"I DON'T HAVE TO BUY A DIFFERENT APP FOR THE PHONE AND THE PC."

Yes, but unfortunately for this to work you have to buy a windows phone...

and? Windows phones are pretty good and the nokia line has the best camera available on a smart phone.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

Does Microsoft honestly think this is going to be a selling point for the Xbox One? Whoever runs Microsoft's gaming division is completely out of touch with what consumers desire in a gaming console.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 j2zon2591

@FastRobby said:

@mariokart64fan said:

not usefu if my laptop is in the same room my xbox is so i already have access to it so have fun though ,

It's a laptop, it's portable, so it won't always stay in the same room. If so, you're dumb because you should have bought a desktop with that money...

@Messiahbolical- said:

Does Microsoft honestly think this is going to be a selling point for the Xbox One? Whoever runs Microsoft's gaming division is completely out of touch with what consumers desire in a gaming console.

They never said that, this is Windows stuff, and this will be a selling point for the phones, tablets and PC's. The Xbox One part is just a fun extra. On a technical level this is huge btw, their isn't a company in the world that is this advanced and ahead of competition with their code. I don't see iOS en OSX sharing apps anytime soon.

Interesting.. if MS keeps it up, I even see a surge in Windows phones and tablets.. just a few more years and man, I think Windows is gonna take a chunk in the phone and tablet marketshare (Full Win 8). On a distantly related note; sudden Steam and Origins spike maybe?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@mariokart64fan said:

It's a laptop, it's portable, so it won't always stay in the same room. If so, you're dumb because you should have bought a desktop with that money...

@Messiahbolical- said:

They never said that, this is Windows stuff, and this will be a selling point for the phones, tablets and PC's. The Xbox One part is just a fun extra. On a technical level this is huge btw, their isn't a company in the world that is this advanced and ahead of competition with their code. I don't see iOS en OSX sharing apps anytime soon.

Eh.....windows isn't important for tablet's and phones. Not much of a selling point really.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Messiahbolical- said:

B-but Phil Spencer is a g-gamer.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@Messiahbolical- said:

I don't even know where to start. Sigh...