Uncharted vs. Bioshock (length)

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 catlin_czirr
Member since 2007 • 2545 Posts
Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts

bioshock is a rarity, there will never be a game like bioshock again.

the campaing on normal took me 20 hours but i did EVERYTHING.

best horror game ive played, sorry RE4 :(

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 catlin_czirr

Kaosed
20 hours, man thats a good length!
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kaosed
[QUOTE="Kaosed"]

catlin_czirr

20 hours, man thats a good length!

take in mind that i did everything, from getting all the upgrades to kill the last little sister.

i have to get the good ending though

i so recomend this game to anyone

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

Played it for the PC; to me it was like anywhere from 13 to 15 hours.

[EDIT] I didn't get all the upgrades to all the guns or all Plasmids, since most of the guns were useless, and all of the plasmids, save few, weren't worth the effort. Although I did collect all of the little sisters and did get the good ending.

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 catlin_czirr

elbow2k
Still very good, i keep hearing 8 for Uncharted is about normal.
elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 elbow2k
[QUOTE="elbow2k"]

catlin_czirr

Still very good, i keep hearing 8 for Uncharted is about normal.

Meh, it's all about taste. I didn't really like Bioshock; haven't played Uncharted yet, but look to.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Bioshock took me 12 hours to beat. Uncharted took me around the same length.
catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 catlin_czirr
Bioshock took me 12 hours to beat. Uncharted took me around the same length.dream431ca
First time i heard 12hrs for uncharted.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Bioshock took me 12 hours to beat. Uncharted took me around the same length.catlin_czirr
First time i heard 12hrs for uncharted.

It's around 10-12 hours in length.

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
So far I've been playing like 12 hours (normal) and I'm sure I'm still missing alot.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

If you play Uncharted on NORMAL it should take the better part of 9 hours unless you are looking to get all the hidden treasures the first time through. I guess that would tack on an extra few hours because they aren't very well hidden for the most part.

BIOSHOCK has two legitimately different endings and there are enough plasmids that you won't really get to experiment with them all in the first playthrough.

It all depends on how much of a completist you are. I'm pretty sure I beat Bioshock the first time through somewhere around 10 hours.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Depending of the player. Average run is probably about 12-14 Hours. To get everything, probably 15-18 Hours.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Bioshock is a relatively short game - it took me about five hours of gameplay before I uninstalled it, put the disk neatly back in the box, and threw it in the trash.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
BioShock took me 15 hours, Uncharted took me 9 hours on Crushing.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

BioShock took me 15 hours, Uncharted took me 9 hours on Crushing.BioShockOwnz

How do they up the difficulty in Uncharted? Is it more dudes to fight or do you take more damage? Do they throw more grenades?

RaveRabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RaveRabbid
Member since 2006 • 1587 Posts

Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?catlin_czirr

Uncharted is 6-8 hours long. Bioshock is 15-20 hours long. Its no contest.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 elbow2k
[QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?subrosian

Uncharted is 8 hours long. Bioshock is 15-20 hours long. Its no contest.

Anyone who played Bioshock for fifteen plus hours needs to go to rehab. Long-term exposure to that level of mediocrity can't be good for your body.

Is it alright if we played the entire game and still think it's the biggest, most overhyped piece of trash since... since... ever!?

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
It really depends on the difficulty. I probably but 12-15 hours into Bioshock (on the hardest difficulty), and I've heard Uncharted can be downright menacing at the highest difficulty. Usually when you hear "OMG game X is only 5 hours long!" it' because a "hardcore" gamer played it at a low difficulty, not because its a significantly shorter game (unless its CoD 4, which really is 5 hours long).
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts
They are both pretty short I'd say 10 hours.
chadwardennn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chadwardennn
Member since 2007 • 883 Posts
[QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?subrosian

Anyone who played Bioshock for fifteen plus hours needs to go to rehab. Long-term exposure to that level of mediocrity can't be good for your body.

If u say so Mr " I have played too many good games to be impressed by bioshock ".

Been gaming for like 20 years now, and Bioshock was on of the best games i've played.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?elbow2k

Is it alright if we played the entire game and still think it's the biggest, most overhyped piece of trash since... since... ever!?

Yeah, I guess so.

I'm a person who'll give a game a chance, but when it gets five ~ six hours in, and the game's still crappy, I'm not wasting any more time. Bioshock's length really depends heavily on how long you can put up with its flaws before you suck up to having wasted $60, and go back to playing better games.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

Your opinion is no better than mine, and I resent that you are choosing to pretend to be superior to me in your condescending attitude.

Do I get to rip to shreds games I don't like and act all elitist when others challenge me on my opinion as well?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Ok people are always dissing single player only games that are short, and I was wondering from people who have played both, which game has a longer single player?chadwardennn

If u say so Mr " I have played too many good games to be impressed by bioshock ".

Been gaming for like 20 years now, and Bioshock was on of the best games i've played.

If that's the case, I truly am sorry. Bioshock was mediocre at best - if it represents the highlight of your "gaming experiences" I have to honestly inquire as to what games you enjoyed prior to having played it.

alanleatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alanleatherman
Member since 2005 • 628 Posts
i actually like uncharted better than bioshock.. bioshock took me about 15 hours and i haven't beat uncharted yet
RaveRabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RaveRabbid
Member since 2006 • 1587 Posts
[QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

Then we have a lot of infected people. God save us all..... *not*.

elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elbow2k

He has his own opinions about the game, opinions not facts; whether you like his tone or not, the same could be applied to someone gushing all over it.

I also wonder how anyone could have played such a boring and broken game.

The best review this game has gotten was the one Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation gave it, because he really got it right when he said this game just a bad version of System Shock 2.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts
It took me about the same for both. Right around 12 hours, and I replayed both right after I beat them to get all the achievements/medals. They are both very comparible in length if you don't run and gun through Uncharted.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpruceCaboose

He has his own opinions about the game, opinions not facts; whether you like his tone or not, the same could be applied to someone gushing all over it.

The best review this game has gotten was the one Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation gave it, because he really got it right when he said this game just a bad version of System Shock 2.

elbow2k

Yeah, Yahtzee is some god when he is bagging on a game you don't like. When he picks on a game you do like, he will be dead wrong.

And no, I always point out when opinions are used as facts, and I know full well that my opinion is mine alone.

And Yes, tone is everything. You act elitist, you deserve to fall from your pedestal. Hubris and pride comes before a fall. No one here is a God. No opinion is superior to another.

When you start thinking your opinion is better than another, you need to start checking your ego, as it needs some perspective.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
[QUOTE="chadwardennn"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

If that's the case, I truly am sorry. Bioshock was mediocre at best - if it represents the highlight of your "gaming experiences" I have to honestly inquire as to what games you enjoyed prior to having played it.

care to list a few games you think are superior to bioshock?
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 subrosian
[QUOTE="elbow2k"]

SpruceCaboose

Yeah, Yahtzee is some god when he is bagging on a game you don't like. When he picks on a game you do like, he will be dead wrong.

And no, I always point out when opinions are used as facts, and I know full well that my opinion is mine alone.

And Yes, tone is everything. You act elitist, you deserve to fall from your pedestal. Hubris and pride comes before a fall. No one here is a God. No opinion is superior to another.

When you start thinking your opinion is better than another, you need to start checking your ego, as it needs some perspective.

That's your opinion. Ironically, I find it rather arrogant to claim what needs to happen to me, or tell me how I should write. Opinions, much like the supposed "facts", can have varying validity. If holding a game up to the standards of dedicated, long-time gaming enthusiasts, such as myself, or the aforementioned Yahtzee, makes me an elitist, so be it. If you subvert your own sentiments as "mere opinion" and treat the most ill-informed viewpoint equally to the most educated, by all means you are welcome to consider yourself a saint.

Me? I've always bet on the devil.

-

On the topic, the length of game (must I preface this with "in my opinion" to prevent a needless conflict?) really comes down to how long you can stand to play it, before you want to hurl it into the nearest trash receptacle (or DVD shelf, your choice). You could argue that WoW offers infinite hours of playtime, and I guess it does, if you enjoy repeating the same quests over, and over.

I've presented here a valid argument - Bioshock's length can be cut considerably short if it doesn't live up to your expectations, and gets shelved. I.E. a game's potential length is not the same thing as the length of time in which you're actually going to enjoy it. As far as defending it goes - I preface any rebuttal with two questions - have you beaten System Shock 2, and have you beaten Deus Ex?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 subrosian

care to list a few games you think are superior to bioshock?
Silenthps

In the hybrid / atmospheric game genre? System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all come to mind.

SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
Both games fail. There's no control type for lefties like myself:(
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpruceCaboose

I am sorry you feel that you and Yahtzee are more informed than I.

I am no young gamer who just came into my joystick this year. I have been gaming since the days of the Intellivision, and I have all the older systems I have owned from them until now, all in working order, and I play them to this day.

I am not some "ignorant" person either. I have been around technology my whole life, and I am in the process of getting into the game development business myself. However, if you feel that your gaming experience makes you more qualified to call your opinion more qualified, go for it.

I will never put down someone for liking a game that I do not. I would be willing to start a dialogue about the issues, but you are not, instead insisting that there is something wrong with me for liking and playing BioShock for more than 15 hours.

Believe me, I apologize for enjoying my gaming experience. How I wish I was you and could detest it for not being something it wasn't.

I don't care who you are, or who you think you are. To me, personally, your opinion is less important to me than my own, and your opinion carries just as much weight as anyone else's. I also don't let "professional" reviewers think for me, so Yahtzee could tell me the game was worse than the Bubonic Plaque and I would not care.

But when you feel the need to put others down for liking a game that brings them joy, that is when you need to start examining yourself, because trying to destroy someone else's joy, while essentially insulting them, its simply unnecessary and childish.

You don't like the game, fine. Say so in an adult way, open dialogue, and debate it in an adult way. Condescend or insult, and you come off like a child, and I don't care what language you use or how long your post is. I will not waver in the face of a wall of text. Insults are the refuge of the weak, and I know you are a better person, and more intelligent than that.

State your issues with the game, and encourage discussion. That is all that is needed.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Both games fail. There's no control type for lefties like myself:(SmokieX

Actually, Uncharted does have this. Along with reversing the world.

slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
I beat bioshock in about 8-10 hours. When the devs said it was about 20 hours in length, they lied.
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kaosed
[QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

wow, i feel so sorry for you

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kaosed
[QUOTE="chadwardennn"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="RaveRabbid"]

then why it has an avarage score of 9.4?

owned

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 subrosian

To me, personally, your opinion is less important to me than my own

SpruceCaboose

And thus we are in agreement (and perhaps both elitists). I will not insult your intelligence by spelling out the significance of this statement (aka why I quoted this) for you.

-

It would be impossible for someone who has not played through System Shock 2 to comment on whether or not Bioshock lived up to its claim of being a "spiritual successor". Without having played Deus Ex, it would be rather difficult to compare Bioshock's skill growth system to its inspiration.

All discussion of games is inherently comparative - so to say that someone with less gaming experience in this particular genre holds a less-informed opinion is simply as statement of fact.

Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kaosed
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

subrosian

And thus we are in agreement (and perhaps both elitists). I will not insult your intelligence by spelling out the significance of this statement (aka why I quoted this) for you.

-

It would be impossible for someone who has not played through System Shock 2 to comment on whether or not Bioshock lived up to its claim of being a "spiritual successor". Without having played Deus Ex, it would be rather difficult to compare Bioshock's skill growth system to its inspiration.

All discussion of games is inherently comparative - so to say that someone with less gaming experience in this particular genre holds a less-informed opinion is simply as statement of fact.

learn to enjoy games

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpruceCaboose

Yes, your statements are correct, if that is how you wanted to dissect the game in that manner, but there you did so without insulting those of us who enjoyed BioShock.

Had you stated what you did in the first place, I could have said, you prefer Deus Ex and SS2 to BioShock, that's fine. Instead you chose to demean those of us who enjoyed BioShock, and that is the part that I take offense to.

I would never think of saying that someone who plays Crysis (for example only) for more than 10 hours is in need of rehab. If you or anyone else likes it, who am I to tell them they shouldn't, for whatever reason?

SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

[QUOTE="SmokieX"]Both games fail. There's no control type for lefties like myself:(Dilrod

Actually, Uncharted does have this. Along with reversing the world.

No it doesn't. You can't use the right analog stick to move and let the left one be used to aim.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Kaosed

-

learn to enjoy games

And you need to stop insulting him over this. Its not personal. Its preference in games. Leave it at that. He does not like what you do. Its not wrong, just different.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Bioshock took me a while to beat. I would've went through a second run to get the good ending. But I wanted to get VF5 via GF so I shipped Bioshock back.
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kaosed
[QUOTE="Kaosed"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

SpruceCaboose

-

learn to enjoy games

And you need to stop insulting him over this. Its not personal. Its preference in games. Leave it at that. He does not like what you do. Its not wrong, just different.

who are you to tell me what to do?

dont liking a game is one thing, but flaming people that do like it is what separates the fanboys from hopeless-nerds

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 subrosian

Yes, your statements are correct, if that is how you wanted to dissect the game in that manner, but there you did so without insulting those of us who enjoyed BioShock.

Had you stated what you did in the first place, I could have said, you prefer Deus Ex and SS2 to BioShock, that's fine. Instead you chose to demean those of us who enjoyed BioShock, and that is the part that I take offense to.

I would never think of saying that someone who plays Crysis (for example only) for more than 10 hours is in need of rehab. If you or anyone else likes it, who am I to tell them they shouldn't, for whatever reason?

SpruceCaboose

I challenge those who enjoyed Bioshock to take a look at the games it cribbed its ideas from. Simply put, if you liked Bioshock, you're in for a real treat when you play System Shock 2 or Deus Ex. It's not "wrong" to enjoy it, but it does imply to me that someone hasn't had a lot of experience with the "hybrid FPS / RPG" genre.

As far as being insulted by a humorous quip goes - that wasn't the intention, and if you took offense to it, I do apologize. The unfortunate truth of all communication is that "tone" is subjective, both for the reader and writer, and any strong opinion is bound to step on emotional toes.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
took me around 25 to 30 hours, but i pretty much explore through everything....bioshock was my goty for 2007
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpruceCaboose

BTW, Sub, I am not telling you, nor anyone else, that you (they) should like or praise BioShock. Far from it. If you don't like it, its no sweat off my back. I make nothing from you liking it or hating it, and either way is ok to me in the grand sceme of things.

All I am saying, and this is to everyone at GameSpot (and gamers as a whole), is that you can disagree with other's likes or dislikes, but you can also do it without putting those who enjoy the game down in the process.

There will never be a game, a system, an anything that everyone loves, or even likes. There are too many people and too many tastes for that. But through rational discussion and dissection of the medium we all profess to love, maybe we can, as gamers, create a dialogue that leads to more games and experiences that are more appealing to the majority?

Talking about why Group X is wrong for liking Product X is inherently less productive that having a real discussion about the differences between Product X and Product Y, and why one group prefers one, and another group another.