Uncharted movie and The Last of Us TV show "just the beginning", PlayStation boss says

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 262 Posts

'The Uncharted movie and The Last of Us TV show are "just the beginning" of Sony's PlayStation push beyond games, the company has said.

In a video published to mark the beginning of CES 2021, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan mentioned the Tom Holland Uncharted movie as well as the HBO The Last of Us show as "just the beginning of the expansion of our storytelling into new media and even wider audiences".

"Sony is a creative entertainment company, and entertainment has never been more important," Ryan continued.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-13-uncharted-movie-and-the-last-of-us-tv-show-just-the-beginning-playstation-boss-says

I'm looking forward to the Knack movie!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7991 Posts

Let's... ...let's see if the Uncharted movie and TLOU TV show are any good first, shall we? History of video game adaptations is basically a handful of gummy bears (Detective Pikachu, Sonic the Hedgehog 2020) and a few sticks of Tommy Wiseau-branded black liquorice (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) sitting on top of an Olympus Mons-size mountain of shit.

These bloody multi-million dollar entertainment conglomerates. Always trying to put the money-spinning franchise cart before the "not being shit" horse, and they never learn.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37446 Posts

Unfarted game, Unfarted movie but I repeat myself, they're one in the same. lol :P

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 262 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Let's... ...let's see if the Uncharted movie and TLOU TV show are any good first, shall we? History of video game adaptations is basically a handful of gummy bears (Detective Pikachu, Sonic the Hedgehog 2020) and a few sticks of Tommy Wiseau-branded black liquorice (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) sitting on top of an Olympus Mons-size mountain of shit.

These bloody multi-million dollar entertainment conglomerates. Always trying to put the money-spinning franchise cart before the "not being shit" horse, and they never learn.

I think the TLoU TV show could be quite good if the go for a 'The Road' tone.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7991 Posts
@gym_lion said:

I think the TLoU TV show could be quite good if the go for a 'The Road' tone.

Maybe, but that's a film. Standalone and self-contained, with a neat beginning, middle and end.

Perhaps there is a away to stretch that out into an actually engaging TV series, but it's just as likely these creatively bankrupt entertainment executives would just make The Walking Dead: Mushroom Zombies Edition instead.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10171 Posts

I fully expected the Uncharted movie to be part of the trash heap. I was completely against and incredibly disappointed that Tom Holland was picked as Drake and then Mark Walberg as Sully.

Then I saw some still shots. My interest is peaked a bit. I'm now expecting it to be around the first Mortal Kombat movie good. Not anything great but enjoyable for fans. Similar to the first Resident Evil and Tomb Raider movies.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 5977 Posts

Making movies from their video game franchises is how they will counter Gamepass 😂

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7923 Posts

@Telekill: Tom Holland looks good as a younger Drake from the photos, I'm excited for the movie.

As for TLoU a that has a lot of potential, hopefully they can deliver on it.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45170 Posts

To be honest, The Walking Dead TV series was more of a TLOU TV show for me that is despite TLOU was based on TWD. Do we really need TLOU TV show? Uncharted movie on the other hand I can get behind but that movie should have been around release after UC3 before UC4 IMO.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10598 Posts

New IP in general isn't easy to make so I don't see a problem with Sony Pictures using PlayStation IP.

I can definitely see them using other IP like LittleBigPlanet.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain-  Moderator

@Nonstop-Madness said:

New IP in general isn't easy to make so I don't see a problem with Sony Pictures using PlayStation IP.

Remember Ratchet & Clank movie? Look how that turn out. As for LBP movie, I think I can see Pixar doing it justice with it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10598 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Remember Ratchet & Clank movie? Look how that turn out. As for LBP movie, I think I can see Pixar doing it justice with it.

To be fair, that movie wasn't produced or, distributed by Sony Pictures.

Sony Pictures Animation would be a good option.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4345 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Lol **** off. Pixar is way better and way above that.

Give those IP's to the Illumination, the studio that makes the Minion movies. They're already making a Super Mario movie. They could easily just become the animation studio that makes video game adaptations.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 38046 Posts

I just assume any series that takes itself too seriously will be doomed to failure. They should go a Captain N route, a hodgepodge of Sony IP cross-overs for kids, but with a twist of being less than subtle and subversively adult.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain-  Moderator

@jaydan: What the hell Pixar did to you? I like most of there movies but that's about it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15375 Posts

Sony Pictures hasn't been doing so great lately, so they could use a boost from the more profitable PlayStation division.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2181 Posts

the only difference between the movie/tv series and the games are you gotta press a button every 20 minutes in the games

hah

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5002 Posts

And they will be universally pawned by critics and consumers alike. Their sh*t tier story and story telling won't be given a free pass unlike game journalists.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4345 Posts

@davillain- said:

@jaydan: What the hell Pixar did to you? I like most of there movies but that's about it.

Haha just giving you jest. But for real, Pixar only does original stories made in-house. They are beyond adaptations and I think they should keep it that way.

Sony Animation would be another great fit for video game adaptations, and not just because it's Sony. They're responsible for Into the Spider-Verse and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 600 Posts

Honestly wasn’t the TLOU more or less a direct ripoff of the walking dead?? Makes zero sense to make that show again...

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 238 Posts

Hopefully they are better then the woke cringe inducing Netflix adaptations of Anime.

x_hedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 x_hedon
Member since 2019 • 472 Posts

@gym_lion said:

'The Uncharted movie and The Last of Us TV show are "just the beginning" of Sony's PlayStation push beyond games, the company has said.

In a video published to mark the beginning of CES 2021, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan mentioned the Tom Holland Uncharted movie as well as the HBO The Last of Us show as "just the beginning of the expansion of our storytelling into new media and even wider audiences".

"Sony is a creative entertainment company, and entertainment has never been more important," Ryan continued.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-13-uncharted-movie-and-the-last-of-us-tv-show-just-the-beginning-playstation-boss-says

I'm looking forward to the Knack movie!

Great. TV TV TV.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20714 Posts

Silly, they're already on YouTube for free 🤣🤣🤣

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProtossRushX  Online
Member since 2007 • 8459 Posts

I'm not a Tom Holland fan at all I'm huge Tobey Maguire fanboy.

I don't like his take on Spiderman and I liked Garfield even worse than Holland.

Loading Video...

Tobey: "Who am I? I'm Spiderman!"

Tom Holland doesn't have the same charisma or screen presence at all I don't like his acting in any movies hes in either im frankly sick of him and don't understand the hype.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 5962 Posts

Sheer genius. Just hook up a PS4 to a projector at a theatre, insert Uncharted/Last of US disk, load saved game, pay a teenager to occasionally push a controller button...instant big screen movie with near zero production cost. Genius.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 43580 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Sheer genius. Just hook up a PS4 to a projector at a theatre, insert Uncharted/Last of US disk, load saved game, pay a teenager to occasionally push a controller button...instant big screen movie with near zero production cost. Genius.

Accurate representation of the average Sony game.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2273 Posts

Both are gonna flop so hard.

Congrats whoever duped Sony investors into it.

Go Xbox!