casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Uncharted 4 is praised as one of the best looking games on PS4 and one of the best games of 2016. Well now there is another way to play and experience Uncharted 4 at 4k.

This is an interesting comparison of UC4 gfx between the two models of PS4.

On a side note, many want to know what the benefit there is to a PS4 Pro vs a PS4, well this comparison of UC4 may be a good measure of people can expect from the difference in gfx.

I'm really surprised by the difference shown here, it looks like it's more than just a resolution boost but also a texture improvement as well. Thoughts.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Nearly identical.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Saw that yesterday, they look the exact same except for a slight bump in clarity afforded by 4k scaling.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Its not even real 4k, come back once you actually have something worthy to show off.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 casharmy

@navyguy21 said:

Saw that yesterday, they look the exact same except for a slight bump in clarity afforded by 4k scaling.

What res did you watch?

"The look the exact same"

No bro they don't look the same. Maybe you need to watch again at a higher res because there is clearly a difference.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Videos like these are kind of useless. Yes you can tell the resolution makes the image sharper, but the comparison between HDR and SDR is impossible to show off. So they end up looking almost exactly the same.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

@kvally said:

Nearly identical.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

@casharmy said:
@navyguy21 said:

What res did you watch?

No bro they don't look the same. Maybe you need to watch again at a higher res because there is clearly a difference.

I watched in 4k and yes, they are the same.

Sure, you can see more detail in the clothes, but thats most likely due to the extra clarity of 4k.

How do i know?

Well I dont think Naughty Dog with all the talent and knowledge they have will put such little effort in a full remaster. Its not what they do. When they do it they do it well as with The Last of Us.

I understand you WANT it to look better, but be honest with yourself. Lets say it does look a bit better...............shouldnt there be a night and day different to take advantage of the Pro?

The more you argue that it looks better the worse it looks for the Pro.

You should be pushing for more of a bump.

The fact that we are even debating it says enough,

If it IS improved............why argue over such a minor improvement that it was left to subjectivity?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

It's quite the bummer when the biggest difference(hdr) wont be shown in videos, but ye obviously higher resolution enhances the IQ, but will it run at 60fps!

Honestly would rather play it on 1080p and 60fps than 1400-1600p and 30fps, but I guess it's not really a choice with the Jag.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Looks like textures got a nice boost in quality.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Higher rez (sharper image), with HDR.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#12  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@casharmy:

Looks a little bit better but not enough to charge you the full price of another system. If I have to pay that much, it better be damn amazing!

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Not much of a difference. Can they pick a less scripted event to compare next time? I know it is Uncharted and 70% of the "game" is scripted or cut scene but at least compare scenes of one of the 30% that is actual hallway style fighting gameplay.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By casharmy

@navyguy21 said:
@casharmy said:
@navyguy21 said:

What res did you watch?

I watched in 4k and yes, they are the same.

Sure, you can see more detail in the clothes, but thats most likely due to the extra clarity of 4k.

How do i know?

Well I dont think Naughty Dog with all the talent and knowledge they have will put such little effort in a full remaster. Its not what they do. When they do it they do it well as with The Last of Us.

I understand you WANT it to look better, but be honest with yourself. Lets say it does look a bit better...............shouldnt there be a night and day different to take advantage of the Pro?

The more you argue that it looks better the worse it looks for the Pro.

You should be pushing for more of a bump.

The fact that we are even debating it says enough,

If it IS improved............why argue over such a minor improvement that it was left to subjectivity?

Man you are talking with some hot air right now saying I "want" something to look better?

Buddy I just look at the comparison and clearly see a difference. You need to check yourself buddy, you seem to be the one trying to project how you feel. If you don't see a difference here saying they look the "exact" same then you need glasses plain and simple, they don't look the exact same, that makes you sound stupid. You may WANT them to look the same but they don't.

I am not trying to blow anything out of proportion here as I didn't expect to see any difference really but I was interested when I saw the comparison in my feed and I was surprised by the difference I did see. Much of the blurring was cleared up, some textures are clearly bumped, and the colors are much more distinct.

Seems like you're trying to make an argument about my opinion but I never said anything was night and day. I never made an argument about anything being night and day that was YOU who put on that parameter. I simply said I was surprised by the difference because I didn't expect there to be much going off other 4k games I've seen compared to their 1080p counterparts.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@remiks00:

Better texture quality too.

@killered3:

Sell your OG PS4 and you won't have to pay full price.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@emgesp:

**** that!

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By casharmy

@emgesp said:

Looks like textures got a nice boost in quality.

Exactly. That surprised me here.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lhughey  Online
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Its not a big difference. I really see the PS4P as a console for the people who don't yet have a PS4. Its hard to upgrade a console for this small of a change.

Strategically, I'm hoping the PS4P fails. It's success would send a bad signal to console producers that they could nickel and dime us with small iterative changes without putting much effort in ensuring the upgrade is worthy. I see the XboxOneS as slightly different because I see it as a simple slim redesign (with UDH capabilities), and not a positioned as a new console.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 casharmy

@killered3 said:

@casharmy:

Looks a little bit better but not enough to charge you the full price of another system. If I have to pay that much, it better be damn amazing!

Good thing I'm not making an argument for buying a PS4 Pro here then!

lol people seem to be coming to their own conclusion about what this thread is about and it's funny to see the different replies that don't apply to what I have in my op.

Ok ok, I understand what you're saying but this therad is not a "BUY PS4 PRO, IT MAKES YOURE GAMES DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE" thread, it's a, "Hey look at the Uncharted 4 graphics comparison between the two models of PS4" thread.

I'm only showing a comparison of UC4 (one of the most highly praised games for graphics in 2016) between the original and newest model of PS4 coming out. lol you don't have to defend or rationalize getting or not getting a PS4 Pro, that's not the discussion here.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 casharmy

@CanYouDiglt said:

Not much of a difference. Can they pick a less scripted event to compare next time? I know it is Uncharted and 70% of the "game" is scripted or cut scene but at least compare scenes of one of the 30% that is actual hallway style fighting gameplay.

I'd like to see a different portion of gameplay/cutscene as well.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By casharmy

@lhughey said:

Its not a big difference. I really see the PS4P as a console for the people who don't yet have a PS4. Its hard to upgrade a console for this small of a change.

Strategically, I'm hoping the PS4P fails. It's success would send a bad signal to console producers that they could nickel and dime us with small iterative changes without putting much effort in ensuring the upgrade is worthy. I see the XboxOneS as slightly different because I see it as a simple slim redesign (with UDH capabilities), and not a positioned as a new console.

:/ umm

PS4 Pro isn't positioned as a new console either, it's just a new model PS4 with updated capabilities just like the XboneS.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's noticeable, but I think it's thanks to HDR. It will be interesting to see the difference between regular PS4 before HDR and after.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Uh oh @silversix_ There is another teh blurry mess in town.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

I love the hypocrisy. All gen long Xbox One owners had their games upscaled to 1080p and cows act like they can see a difference a mile away.

Now all of a sudden 4K upscaling is ok. I guess you are just getting yourselves ready for when the Scorpio is doing native 4K and the PS4 Amateur is still upscaling. Sad really.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By casharmy

@Telekill said:

It's noticeable, but I think it's thanks to HDR. It will be interesting to see the difference between regular PS4 before HDR and after.

That's a good point, we will have to see more comparisons with the HDR update for the original PS4 to see how that plays out. That texture bump and sharpness is still going to be pronounced in comparisons going forward I believe. UC4 has a much cleaner image than the OG PS4 version here.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@casharmy: Impressive, thanks for the awesome post.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 casharmy

@SinjinSmythe said:

I love the hypocrisy. All gen long Xbox One owners had their games upscaled to 1080p and cows act like they can see a difference a mile away.

Now all of a sudden 4K upscaling is ok. I guess you are just getting yourselves ready for when the Scorpio is doing native 4K and the PS4 Amateur is still upscaling. Sad really.

What does xbox one or Scorpio have to do with Uncharted 4 tho?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

If you're interested in blurry messes, look no further than halo 5. Sony doesn't produce any blurry messes because its by the gamer for the gamer.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

There's a pretty clear difference in *some* of the still frames, and including new texture details. But the issue I have is I can't see the difference in motion. I don't have a 4K monitor or HDR, so I'm going to be missing a lot of the "magic" however.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46226 Posts

The positive thing here is that we don't have to purchase a remake to get better graphics :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@silversix_ said:
@cainetao11 said:

If you're interested in blurry messes, look no further than halo 5. Sony doesn't produce any blurry messes because its by the gamer for the gamer.

Nope just Walking simulators and QTE's lol.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

The scene they used is like lets compare this movie scene to this movie scene but with a better TV. It is like ok I get it Uncharted is not know for having gameplay but there is still some in there, so compare that.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

But you could already play it at 4K on a 4K TV,it upscaled

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:
@silversix_ said:
@cainetao11 said:

Nope just Walking simulators and QTE's lol.

A 10/10 "ESSENTIAL" at that.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Telekill

@casharmy: Agreed. The 4K textures are great.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

Game was just OK for me. I'm actually irritated I bought it for 60 bucks. Finished and shelved. Meh. Graphics don't make games better.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By casharmy

@TheEroica said:

Game was just OK for me. I'm actually irritated I bought it for 60 bucks. Finished and shelved. Meh. Graphics don't make games better.

Yeah...but that this thread isn't about what people think are better games than others, it's about the gfx specifically of UC4 so yeah not really the point here. :P

FYI, UC4 isn't the greatest game to me either but I was still interested in this comparison and I probably would be interested in playing it again to see the difference in graphics overall.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 casharmy

@Telekill said:

@casharmy: Agreed. The 4K textures are great.

I hope all devs adopt the Rise of the Tomb Raider approach and adopt the Ultra settings at 1080p mode, with HDR id's probably have the same result as 4k on 1080p settings.

I would much rather play a game maxed out at 1080p 60fps than 4k 30fps at lower overall settings.

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 T-razor1
Member since 2002 • 1164 Posts

@casharmy:

@casharmy said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

Is he wrong though?

I get where you're coming from that Xbox One or Scorpio has nothing to do with this thread but what did you (or any other cow) expect? Any backlash that the ps4 Pro receives from here on out is justified and Sony and most of its immature fan base have no one to blame but themselves. There's just no way around this.... any mention of the ps4 pro will have the stigma of upscaling attached to it whether people want to admit it or not. But remember it was Sony and most of its immature fan base that created that stigma for upscaling when there never needed to be a stigma in the first place.

So what I say to you, Sony or any other die-hard Sony fan is simply this:

"You've made your bed. now lie in it."

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@casharmy said:

You're really expecting System Wars posters to give quality posts and follow the topic? Get real.

As for the thread, the copious amount of motion blur makes the resolution bump much harder to appreciate. I do notice the improved textures but they seem to have gone from terrible to just alright now. A shitty youtube video can't do the game justice. Once some of us including me get our hands on a Pro, we'll post uncompressed 4K screens and compare them to the original ones.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

First they sell you "re-mastered" versions of the same game............and people buy it up.

Now you can buy a whole new system and see the SAME GAME upscaled.

Lack of content not a problem! :D

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

This is awesome. Now I get to experience this movie in upscaled 4K. So worth it.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Pedro said:

This is awesome. Now I get to experience this movie in upscaled 4K. So worth it.

It must really hurt you that a "movie game" outscored and probably outsold all the exclusives on Xbone. Sad state for Xbone when its library gets rekt by a movie game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#45 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@silversix_ said:
@cainetao11 said:

Did you watch that video? The original one is teh blurry mess now. That's your logic. Once a new, higher fidelity is available the previous one or your eyesight suddenly lose clarity.

How would you know anything about the best console exclusive FPS of the gen? You're a cow.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

truly a "Pro" experience

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Telekill

@casharmy: Also agreed. I'm going to be buying a 4K UHD with HDR capabilites in about 2 months; not for 4K but for HDR, so I'm really happy Sony made all PS4s HDR capable.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

truly a "Pro" experience

first 11/10 AAAAAE GS score in the history of video games.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

I wish YT would do something about its shitty compression. Any direct feed screenshots?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#50 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@casharmy said:
@lhughey said:

:/ umm

PS4 Pro isn't positioned as a new console either, it's just a new model PS4 with updated capabilities just like the XboneS.

LOL, ah no. The Xbox One Slim has the same hardware as the original Xbox One. The PS4 is a MID GEN new platform with new hardware and over 2TF of improved performance.

Xbox One = Xbox One S (current gen)

PS4 = PS4 Slim (current gen)

PS Pro = Xbox Scorpio (mid gen)