Ultimate battle: switch vs steam deck (poll)

• 58 results
Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Ultimate battle: switch vs steam deck (poll) (78 votes)

Switch all the way 37%
Steam Deck 50%
Sheev for system war president. One or more votes makes this official. In sheev we believe. 14%

I’m a switch guy myself. Nintendo appeals more to me.

• 
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15788 Posts

@casey-wegner: SW is a bubble. It doesn't represent the market.

Back when the Switch launched, most here were predicting lifetime sales of just 20-50 M. Only a few of us here predicted 100M+ (myself included).

Steam Deck could still carve out a niche for itself among hardcore gamers, but it will almost certainly never have the mainstream casual pull the Switch has.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 38727 Posts

Dang, Bait & Switch is really taking it on the chin in the poll. :o

Add xCloud mobile gaming into the mix and it's..... Nintendont is doomed, doooomed I tellz ya. lol :P

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 dabear
Member since 2002 • 4100 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes: The Switch is going against the PS5 and XBox Series X/S - and despite it's lower performance and lack of 3rd party support, it is selling like gang busters (better than either "superior" consoles).

That is because Nintendo has a loyal following of people who want to play Nintendo games. Steam Deck is not going to have Nintendo games on it. Therefore, Steam Deck is not going to affect Nintendo sales.

This argument is DOA.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 761 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

dude...this is the pc space, where incremental upgrades happen every year.

And not everyone upgrades their PC hardware every year. It's feasible to put out hardware that will still be covered by minimum specs on many games 4-6 years from now, just as even some major PC games can work on hardware from that time at launch. It might not be the direction Valve is taking but it would be a cool idea.

Plus it’s not like that gargantuan existing library of PC games is going to disappear as soon as new tech arrives. There’ll be no shortage of games new to the owner to play on the deck.

As a switch owner who’s ended up playing less than half a dozen games on the thing, I’d much rather have purchased a Steam Deck had one been available. Sure, Rune Factory 4S was awesome (and hopefully 5 will be too), but even multiplatform games that would’ve been good to have on the go like 2D platformers and isometric tactics games, I ended up buying for PC instead; the switch‘s joycon scheme is awkward and hand crampy, and it’s not really portable like the 3DS was. The Steam Deck will have a more customizable control scheme (and maybe be more comfy, we’ll have to hear more reviews), and more importantly it seems like you’ll be able to plug in and use any controller of your choice that would work on PC.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 8243 Posts

@Postosuchus said:
@girlusocrazy said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

dude...this is the pc space, where incremental upgrades happen every year.

And not everyone upgrades their PC hardware every year. It's feasible to put out hardware that will still be covered by minimum specs on many games 4-6 years from now, just as even some major PC games can work on hardware from that time at launch. It might not be the direction Valve is taking but it would be a cool idea.

Plus it’s not like that gargantuan existing library of PC games is going to disappear as soon as new tech arrives. There’ll be no shortage of games new to the owner to play on the deck.

As a switch owner who’s ended up playing less than half a dozen games on the thing, I’d much rather have purchased a Steam Deck had one been available. Sure, Rune Factory 4S was awesome (and hopefully 5 will be too), but even multiplatform games that would’ve been good to have on the go like 2D platformers and isometric tactics games, I ended up buying for PC instead; the switch‘s joycon scheme is awkward and hand crampy, and it’s not really portable like the 3DS was. The Steam Deck will have a more customizable control scheme (and maybe be more comfy, we’ll have to hear more reviews), and more importantly it seems like you’ll be able to plug in and use any controller of your choice that would work on PC.

uhh, if you're willing to go that far, you'd be better off with a laptop and a controller. Its pretty much the same thing. I mean the form factor might be different but laptops weigh around 3 lbs and you can fold them and take with you anywhere.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4879 Posts

I think the Steam Deck looks neat, but I won't be getting one. Switch has me covered for portable gaming and Nintendo 1st party, and my PC has me covered for everything else. Could see myself getting a Deck if they make it to 3rd gen or so. Whenever it becomes a significant jump over my current PC (which might not take that long, I have a GTX 1650).

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 WonderWinner
Member since 2021 • 1875 Posts

@casey-wegner said:

Judging by these results Gamespot SW votes you would never know Nintendo is going to sell 10 million Switch's this December and Valve has preorders of 100k (100 times less)

Weren't you championing a poll that favored your side? Way to backpedal right now. Steamdeck still upsetting you.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#58  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 13928 Posts
@eoten said:
@BassMan said:

@eoten: PS5 and XSX are sold out constantly. So, they are not struggling at all. People want them because they are good consoles with good games. Nintendo relies on nostalgia and dumb fanboys for sales. I know the average person has low standards and doesn't really care about quality. That is why mobile gaming is the biggest money maker. People are dumb and waste money on micro-transactions and stupid shit. Overall sales are not what is important. Quality is.

McDonald's sells more burgers than anyone. Do they have the best burger? Not even close. Don't fall victim to marketing and stupidity. Enjoy the finer things in life. Strive for quality.

They are struggling, considerably. A big reason why they are sold out constantly is a lack of supply and that lack of supply is partly due to the silicon shortage but also a large part due to the design of the PS5 and Series X. Using cheaper and more readily available components, you know, that "last gen" tech people are always criticizing Nintendo for using, is why their shit is actually available for people to purchase.

If you want to talk about falling victim to marketing and stupidity, how about two major console manufacturers trying to sell people a new system based on hardware specs and no actual titles to market? There was a time in gaming history where if a console was released without launch titles it would have been seen as an embarrassment.

They sure are struggling....

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/sony-ps5-now-fastest-selling-console-in-us-history-in-both-unit-and-dollar-sales-says-npd/

There sure are no games with all those multi-plats, first party, and backward compatible titles that run and look better on the hardware.