Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Ultima VS Elder Scrolls (40 votes)

Ultima 43%
Elder Scrolls 58%

Elder Scrolls is still going strong both last gen, this gen with remasters, and a phone game for people who go outside. A new game is announced, people will probably say is shit, but by until it sells at least 12 million.

Ultima was a once lauded series with many entires, that EA successful destroyed. Many young kids have not heard of it. Most console players probably haven't touched it.

No Caption Provided

Overall, what is the better series?

• 
djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Ultima by a landslide... by yeah the franchise is unfortunately long dead! Thanks ea...

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@undefined:

Ultima never got the chance to grow technologically and mechanically to the present (which isn’t its fault) so there isn’t really much of a comparison.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Ultimas I played: 4, 5, 6, 7p1, 7p2, 8, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Underworld 1, Underworld 2.

ES I played: Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

I enjoyed Ultima 6 and 7 the most, while I played U4 the most. Didn't finished Daggerfall (caused it's glitchy as hell). I don't remember finishing both Martian Dreams and Battlespire.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@mistervulpes: I just hope EA doesn't bastardize Origin IPs like what they did to Westwood's Command and Conquer.

Damn, I miss playing the Crusader series.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

Elder Scrolls for me, Oblivion and Skyrim in particular. I loved those games.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5558 Posts

Its internet norm to rip on BGS games these days. But I'm still a fan... BGS still makes my favorite RPGs out there (not named Phantasy Star).

Elder Scrolls gets my vote

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14917 Posts

@djoffer said:

Ultima by a landslide... by yeah the franchise is unfortunately long dead! Thanks ea...

Ultima IX was supposed to be the last game regardless.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@texasgoldrush: well they certainly managed to secure that with that buggy mess of a game...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

I mean if we're talking contributions and innovations to shape the genre Ultima wins pretty easily. But Elder Scrolls has stood the test of time, and invites modding to make a game experience tailored to your own whims.

I would probably say Elder Scrolls. I can play and anticipate more of the games in the future, while Ultima's last entry is an ancient relic at this point. I imagine it wouldn't even feel fun at all, dated as it is by other games stealing and improving what the series does over decades of time.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Elder Scrolls...

In large part due to the massive communities that have sprung up around the games.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. Fans have expanded the game world size by orders of magnitude. They've created content that matches or surpasses the quality of Bethesda's.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 texasgoldrush

Elder's Scrolls came out of Ultima Underworld's influence.

Ultima Underworld seems to now be the most important RPG of the 90's.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@anthonyautumns: Oh my God, RIP command and conquer. That is a travesty.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Ultima takes it for me easily.

3-7 and the Underworlds are all good, meanwhile Daggerfall & Morrowind showed promise but after that they started making bullshit games for kiddies & casuals which need complete overhaul mods like Nehrim, Requiem, Enderal to even make them worth looking at.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Elder Scrolls for sure. Morrowind completely changed the way I viewed gaming when it came out. Oblivion and Skyrim were great. I just wish they didn't wait forever between releases.

darkzoomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkzoomer
Member since 2018 • 105 Posts

Ultima is one of the better WRPG series. Elder Scrolls is not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Elder Scrolls for me, Oblivion and Skyrim in particular. I loved those games.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Most of the ppl who voted for Elder Turds never even played an Ultima game.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Man, just how many awesome games series' has EA run into the ground now?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Ultima was more influential. Ultima Underworld spin off laid the foundation for Doom and The Elder Scrolls series. In fact, first person Immersive Sim genre as a whole.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

It's hard to argue against Ultima here. It's one of the most influential videogame series ever made, and it helps that many of its games were really really good.

The Elder Scrolls series is one of Ultima's many children. It obviously has the advantage of modern technology, but it doesn't have half of the ambition or talent that fuelled the Ultima games.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I love the Elder Scrolls. Could not get enough...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19581 Posts

Elder Scrolls is better in terms of which is more enjoyable today. Ultima is too dated to be enjoyable in this day and age.

Ultima is better in terms of its legacy contributing to the RPG genre. Elder Scrolls doesn't come anywhere close in that regard.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Jag85 said:

Elder Scrolls is better in terms of which is more enjoyable today. Ultima is too dated to be enjoyable in this day and age.

Ultima is better in terms of its legacy contributing to the RPG genre. Elder Scrolls doesn't come anywhere close in that regard.

Its more than just the RPG genre.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19581 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Sure, but the topic is about RPGs.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_imperium
@Planeforger said:

It's hard to argue against Ultima here. It's one of the most influential videogame series ever made, and it helps that many of its games were really really good.

The Elder Scrolls series is one of Ultima's many children. It obviously has the advantage of modern technology, but it doesn't have half of the ambition or talent that fuelled the Ultima games.

+1

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud_imperium
@mandzilla said:

Man, just how many awesome games series' has EA run into the ground now?

:(

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

Ultima, easily.

Better gameplay, and more immersive overall. Likewise, how they constantly pushed technology was so commendable. Ever since Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls have always felt like these generic games with a serious identity crisis.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@mandzilla: #19 Posted by Mandzilla (1594 posts) - 8 hours, 54 minutes ago

"Man, just how many awesome games series' has EA run into the ground now?"

EA is the single worst entity in gaming, an absolute plague.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

Combat:

Honestly this depends on the game, early ultima games suffered from extremely simplistic combat. But as time moved on, combat became increasingly complex. With some of the later entries having enjoyable combat (didnt like the combat of 7 though). Combat in TES has always been bad. With Oblivion suffering from severe HP bloat being enough to make me uninstall.

World interactivity:

Ok, sure, modern TES is more interactive than the earliest Ultima games. But it never got to U6 or 7's level. And the interactivity is pretty shallow overall. Not just compared to Ultima (where people kept devicing clever solutions for killing lord british). But also other contemporary games like Breath of the Wild or Dwarf Fortress.

Focus:

Bethesda games in general are pretty unfocused. Both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. From a narrative standpoint Bethesda games, tend to push urgent narratives on the player, while then simultaneously encouraging to take their time and mess around in the overworld. From a gameplay standpoint, they add so many features that mess up the balance of one another. Leading to a mess of features that dont exactly provide a particularly coherrent experience.

In Ultima, the gameplay, the feel and the narratives are often intertwined, everything you did in Ultima 4 contributed towards your quest of becoming an avatar. In Ultima 5, the plot impacted the gameplay quite a bit, Day and Night Cycles were a thing, and this impacted not just whether shops were opened or closed, but also tied into the storyline, as it was when resistance members would be active, nazgul might be in towns driving people insane, and there was an active curfew (all adding to the oppressive feel that game had).

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandzilla  Moderator

@todddow: Yup, I'll never forgive them for what they did to Command & Conquer! Grrr.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush

@mandzilla said:

@todddow: Yup, I'll never forgive them for what they did to Command & Conquer! Grrr.

I would not put total blame on EA for Ultima's fall however.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mandzilla  Moderator

@texasgoldrush: Yeah, that's fair enough. I'll admit I'm not too knowledgeable about Ultima.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I love both, and I can't see a great comparison. There was very little overlap in the eras these games operated and aside from the open world aspect, two different games entirely.

I can't choose.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 texasgoldrush

You don't have Ultima, you don't have JRPGs either.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

I wouldn't say the two are really all that comparable. On that note, while I have liked different aspects of several games in each franchise, my vote is easily with Elder Scrolls.

Too each their own, but this poll has system wars written all over it.. lol

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@Jag85: Ultima is too dated to be enjoyable in this day and age.

I am still playing Ultima 4 after over 20 years! I still like it. It's one of the few games I got better at over time. I'm managing my team more efficiently now and go through fights much more quickly. Also, last month I became a full Avatar for the fist time and got the Mystic armour and weapons. I even found out how to use lightning energy field in battle for shot blocking which I don't think of any other game has and opened up alot of battle options.

There is another game though, Shroud of the Avatar released 6 months ago by Garriot himself. Mixed reviews though but it's still being patched. Ah modernity.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/326160/Shroud_of_the_Avatar_Forsaken_Virtues/

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@jackamomo: I would definitely avoid Shroud of the Avatar.

I've been following its development on and off since it first hit Kickstarter, and it's a total mess. They pitched it as a modern Ultima, but it ended up being an online virtual real estate game with a heavy emphasis on spending real money.

The development featured constant fundraising drives, despite earning over $10m originally, and it launched to the disappointment of many (most?) of its backers. Portalarium also has a habit of banning everyone who says everything bad about it.

Shroud of the Avatar is basically everything everyone fears about Star Citizen.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@Planeforger: I really want to stay positive about SoTA though.

It's Garriot's attempt to revive his UO ambitions. I read some interviews of Garriot on the game and he is so interested in game design although the interview was waaaay too long. He's interested in social interactions and animal ecology which features in the game. His viewpoint on game design is more interesting than Star Citizen (announced 2012 for a 2014 release) to me as Garriot has alot of ideas which are quite deep and would not be considered by a more sensible developer. Also $10mill dollars is not very much for an MMO, I bet SC has more bucks than that prized from it's Kickstarters!

Ultima Online (1997) was successful, not because it had good graphics (it uses the Ultima 8 engine from 1994 I think) but because the mechanics were so interesting and Garriot's vision was realised although he did not manage to include ecology.

I want this game to last at least 10 years and become the game it could become.

I'm not clear on the payment scheme though. I wonder how much you are required to spend? I would be upset if I had to spend more than £30 though all my time with the game but in World of Tanks something like 90% of people never pay anything whatsoever and that game is a big success. I hope this would be possible too.

Free to play games should be supported by the few who pay but they will need a compelling reason. Although given how much tanks cost in WoT, some people just have too much money.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

Ultima is more influential and then Elder Scrolls have always been shit, so there's that.