uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

How do you feel about this? Fair game or should they be strung up to a tree? Along with the people supporting them?

Little kids be stuck with an Xbox.

PS5 stock is borderline impossible to find right now, and consoles are selling for over £1,000/$1,500 on eBay – significantly more than Sony’s recommended retail price. Now an interview with Business Insider has shed light on the sordid reseller market, with one British group claiming that its members have purchased 3,500 systems to date.

So, how does it all work? Well, the organisation sells subscriptions to wannabe resellers, and then provides them with access to a variety of different services which help them to source highly sought-after products. That ranges from, yes, bots all the way through to insight and advice. The idea is that, once purchased, those items can then be resold at a profit.

Part of the group’s goal is figuring out what’s in demand; apparently hot tubs were huge at one point during the coronavirus pandemic. Currently, the big tech product is the PS5, and, of course, with resellers scooping up all of the readily available stock, the demand is rising higher – thus lining the scalpers’ pockets further.

Exactly what can be done here remains to be seen. There are bots available to circumvent online wait times, jump queues, and complete transactions quicker than the average person ever could. However, the group claims that many of its members are actually purchasing the consoles manually, meaning they’re doing this professionally like a job. The only way to beat them is to match them.

Unfortunately, that’s unrealistic for the average person who just wants to get a console to enjoy this Christmas. Sony admitted recently that it’s sold every single PS5 it’s manufactured, and it’s unclear when it will be able to meet the demand. Unfortunately, we could be in a situation where PS5 stock is limited deep into 2021.

lost_in_space_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 lost_in_space_
Member since 2020 • 83 Posts

Shouldn't be strung up, but due to these dipshits I won't be getting a PS5 for a long ass time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I hope they get stuck with them.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

its the free market, supply and demand. What I don't like though is the use of bots, its just cheating the system and I think stores should have captchas in place to prevent it.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Just a dirty move. But hope what Phil Spencer mentioned comes true. Preorder with MS/Sony and get notifications when it's ready. I hope these people get stuck with stock and have to sell cheap.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

3,500 faulty first batch units

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Yep, 3500 units with hot memory.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

its the free market, supply and demand. What I don't like though is the use of bots, its just cheating the system and I think stores should have captchas in place to prevent it.

As long as the retailers and the console makers allow the practice of scalping, it will continue. It may be best to order from online retailers that use captchas, or just wait several months until the demand dies down. Do gamers really need the PS5 right now?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

As long as the retailers and the console makers allow the practice of scalping, it will continue. It may be best to order from online retailers that use captchas, or just wait several months until the demand dies down. Do gamers really need the PS5 right now?

I have both the ps5 and xbox series x. I have no idea what people are playing on their ps5 console, but its definitely not next gen games. Even their demon souls is a remake of a ps3 game. Sony even remaking a ps4 game in spiderman, released in 2018. Sony is becoming the laughing stock, and any idiot that pays full price for the "remastered" spiderman game needs to be laughed at as well. The graphics update should be free for everyone that paid for the original.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Yes we do. We've been stuck with PS4 for 7 years. We cannot wait any longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Why should they get shit for it? we should be blaming the morons who pay double+ for them on Ebay.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Good luck selling them all. You got about two months.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've hated scalpers since the PS3 launch. They'll get no respect from me. I don't even care that scalpers are being robbed in the UK. Simply a crook getting their comeuppance.

What this does prove is that there needs to be something done to stop bots being used. If the bots can be stopped, the scalpers won't be amassing stock like they're able too now.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Lame. I wanted a walmart version since the 4 year warranty is hella cheap.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4362 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I blame MS and Sony if I have to place any blame.

Worst generation launch ever. Should've been postponed.

its really up to them. same goes with gpu makers to.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

While that does suck, I'm just glad they've moved on from scalping toilet paper.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Put them in jail or confiscate the systems. If they can't do that, then let them go and tell every criminal you can find that they have those units and where they are, so they can be stolen. That would be poetic justice considering how they are ripping off hard working people.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

The problem is not the scalpers, it's the people enabling them by buying their stuff.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Don’t buy it from them simple as that. Same crap happened with DLC if gamers would stop supporting dumb ass DLC it would be included in the game now they cut crap that’s supposed to be in a game and change you for it. Don’t point the finger Scalper it all gamers fault who support it

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@lebanese_boy said:

The problem is not the scalpers, it's the people enabling them by buying their stuff.

Thing is a lot of parents will be under pressure in the run up to Xmas due to the expectation from their kiddos, and so some will pay a seemingly irrational price.

The scalpers know this of course, and it's not just them. CEX (a shop here in the UK) is/was selling the PS5 for nearly double the retail price, and that's for a second hand console.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lebanese_boy

@mandzilla said:
@lebanese_boy said:

Thing is a lot of parents will be under pressure in the run up to Xmas due to the expectation from their kiddos, and so some will pay a seemingly irrational price.

The scalpers know this of course, and it's not just them. CEX (a shop here in the UK) is/was selling the PS5 for nearly double the retail price, and that's for a second hand console.

I get that but as you say these are irrational prices. Parents need to be rational, waiting a little longer for the PS5 won't hurt anyone and buying one for over double the price is certainly not worth it just to have on time for christmas.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mandzilla  Moderator

@lebanese_boy said:
@mandzilla said:
@lebanese_boy said:

I get that but as you say these are irrational prices. Parents need to be rational, waiting a little longer for the PS5 won't hurt anyone and buying one for over double the price is certainly not worth it just to have on time for christmas.

Yeah no doubt. I'd certainly never line a scalper's pockets, but then again if I had children I may have a different mindset towards it. Just saying I can understand why some do.

I agree with you there though, much more sensible to wait, save some money and teach your kid the value of patience... or just get them a Switch instead. That seems like the best solution actually. 😎

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@mandzilla: No offense but i don't think you have kids, no parent in their right mind would pay double for a console.

I'd say people mostly single in their 20's would be buying most of these.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@i_p_daily: None taken and yeah I don't. Maybe you're right, I'm just going by some of the stuff I've seen on the CEX website and eBay. Most of the review bombs on the PS5 listings are coming from angry parents complaining about the shady pricing.

The demand for next-gen consoles is through the roof right now, and guaranteed it's what a lot of kids are talking about at school with their friends. Likely dropping subtle hints to their parents too. Even if the majority don't pay double, there'll still be some out there who end up doing so due to the pressures of materialism that always come with Xmas.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I bet a lot of these are being bought by rich people. Nobody is gonna tell Will Smith he can't have a PS5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@mandzilla said:

@i_p_daily: None taken and yeah I don't. Maybe you're right, I'm just going by some of the stuff I've seen on the CEX website and eBay. Most of the review bombs on the PS5 listings are coming from angry parents complaining about the shady pricing.

The demand for next-gen consoles is through the roof right now, and guaranteed it's what a lot of kids are talking about at school with their friends. Likely dropping subtle hints to their parents too. Even if the majority don't pay double, there'll still be some out there who end up doing so due to the pressures of materialism that always come with Xmas.

Oh i'm sure some parents might, but i still think the % on that would be rather low.

My son asked for a Series X the other day, i said no and that was that.

Oh and people who are buying at that price and giving it to others are the ones going to complain. I mean if you spend money on it for yourself, well you can't really complain can you lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lebanese_boy said:

Say it's both really.

We tend to think of gamers as stuff like this, where we actively discuss this stuff.

But average bum joe or soccer mom on Ebay shopping for Christmas shit won't be any the wiser.

Of course, you will get dickheads knowingly taking the price hike because apparently they lack that the concept of, "patience".

They really do need to find a way to deal with them, this nonsense has gone on for far too long and seems to just be getting worse.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

The best time to buy a console is when they go on sale, lots of games to choose from and properly established

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup

Looks like the group has been doxxed.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I'm just in awe how this is even possible. How did scalpers manage to buy up so many PS5s and RTX3000 cards?

There are easy ways to circumvent this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts
@joebones5000 said:

The solution is to not buy this shit for a year or two when they release.

Yup, my plan as well.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

They can all go suck a dick, that's all.

@uninspiredcup said:

Looks like the group has been doxxed.

Nice.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

I want a ps5 but gave up for the time being scalpers have ruined it for a lot of people.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I usually hate doxing but in this case it is acceptable.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

And then 3,500 buyers paying over the odds with no warranty. But, you know, if you've got more money than sense....

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I hate both sides equally, well maybe the idiots buying the consoles at triple the price I hate just a tad more. I've said it before, if those morons could just have a little patience and wait a few months scalpers would slowly die off.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

This manipulates the market making systems unaffordable to most families, it sucks. I wish they could remote brick those consoles and **** the morons who feed scalpers.

But hey, it's the free market, a few individuals should be free to **** everybody else because freedom and something something Venezuela.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

They can keep'em all.

Must be a real pain moving and storing all those TumorStaions...

lol :P

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

It’s disgusting that people do this to make a money, clearly they have no skills or intelligence to make money honestly. Also it’s these fools that pay scalper prices that encourage people to hoard products and resell them for absurd prices. If nobody bought these products at higher prices then the scalpers would be in the hole thousands of dollars and would learn their lesson quickly not to take advantage of people like this. Even if I didn’t get a preorder there is no way I’d bend over for someone and pay them more money just to be able to have a system, have a little patience and wait for the restock!

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@SecretPolice: Love the fact that no one cares about getting an xbox. Must be tough for you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice

@ahrequenomori:

Hahaha, a new account for this manure? Typical...

XSX, XSS are sold out everywhere. smh

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

What we should be talking about is, why are PS5’s selling on eBay for twice the price the Xbox consoles are?

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

It’s up to retailers to come up with ways to combat scalping. But they don’t seem to care so the scalping will continue. It’s a crappy practice and I wish nothing but the worst on scalpers however there’s nothing you can do. Best to wait till around spring time and hope stock normalizes to the point that there’s plenty of supply and scalpers will have to sell their systems at MSRP.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I think it's of very poor taste to insinuate that PS fans are easier to take advantage of.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice

@ghost_of_phobos:

Lol, same thing I thought as well.

Everyone knows cows just can't resist a good milking. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

What we should be talking about is, why are PS5’s selling on eBay for twice the price the Xbox consoles are?

I don't appreciate you are implying that PS gamers are dumber.😎

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I hate scalpers. They have ruined the launch experience of the PS5 for a ton of people. By using bots, they put the average consumer at a large disadvantage. I wish people would not pay more for the consoles, so these people end up with an excess of PS5's that they cannot sell.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lebanese_boy

@mandzilla: I believe the lesson in patience is the better deal here. I mean here in Canada (Quebec) the PS5 is 725$ taxes included and just for the fun of it I looked it up on eBay and the cheapest I could find was around 1300$ and that was over a week ago.

I'm not a parent yet but if a parent out there thinks it's ok to just essentially throw nearly 600$ (or more) in the trash just to be able to get a PS5 on time for the holidays then I believe said parent commited a massive failure at parenting and at life really. They'd need to get their priorities straight, this looks bad in normal times but it's even far worse because we're in a pandemic.