Uh oh. People Trying to Emulate Xbox One and PS4.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

You won't see a proper emulator for either console for a long while. Both feature unified memory, making it extremely difficult to emulate on split memory architecture that is PC. And using x86 doesn't really make it easier to emulate, especially when you have 8 cores. Timing issues and the like make x86 emulation, even on another x86, very difficult.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

That was the point I was making, CPU is easy to emulate, GPU is easy to emulate (the api might be tricky, sure mantle might be similar but is it 100% identical you still need to convert), I suppose not as bad an converting DirectX calls to OpenGL but still. CPU-GPU integration is not easy to emulate on a system that has a CPU and GPU seperate on a slower bus, might even be impossible to do at any speed. Of course if they bring out PC's that are more like powerful PS4s then yes (GDDR5 speed throughput, APU). I didn't even factor in operating system overheads. And people also forget the ARM chip you need to emulate.

Then getting all that running with the right timings... if anything goes out of sync then you are gonna get stutter and sound cutting in and out. The Amiga was bad enough to emulate with all it's custom chips this will be a nightmare.