Uh oh. People Trying to Emulate Xbox One and PS4.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

http://kotaku.com/people-are-already-working-on-emulators-for-the-ps4-and-1479934807

Now if it indeed happens withi the next year or year in a half. Even with certain games. The pirates...

Hermits why you hate gaming?

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

pc master begger race.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Is the Wii U one made yet?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Legality aside some of these devs that make these emulators do it to test their skills and or become better programmers, and even in their studys as part of their course work it is not always just done for TEH FREE GAMEZ!!

And what the hell does it have to do with PC gamers.....they are not making it ...a handfull of random people are doing it...you all just spout nonsense fanboy drivel it's like watching humanity devolve before my eyes :P

Stay classy.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Emulation should be easier for sure, but you will still need compatibility layers and emulation for custom chips and ram allocation and other overheads. You probably would need double the spec of the console to play a game smoothly, same with the graphics card sure it's similar to a PC card but not identical, the PC has no fast shared ram for a start, although that may change in the future, but they would still need to break the DRM and decrypt the firmwares to be able to execute anything on the disc.

I don't see it happening any time soon.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@naz99 said:

Legality aside some of these devs that make these emulators do it to test their skills and or become better programmers, and even in their studys as part of their course work it is not always just done for TEH FREE GAMEZ!!

And what the hell does it have to do with PC gamers.....they are not making it ...a handfull of random people are doing it...you all just spout nonsense fanboy drivel it's like watching humanity devolve before my eyes :P

Stay classy.

You do realize in your small head that if thee legit people complete the program there will still be pirates?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

but considering that online is a big component of console gaming now will it be able to pull that off right?

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Emulation should be easier for sure, but you will still need compatibility layers and emulation for custom chips and ram allocation and other overheads. You probably would need double the spec of the console to play a game smoothly, same with the graphics card sure it's similar to a PC card but not identical, the PC has no fast shared ram for a start, although that may change in the future, but they would still need to break the DRM and decrypt the firmwares to be able to execute anything on the disc.

That should be easy.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

he's only saying that it would be easier to make a PS4/XB1 emu than it would be to create one for the PS3/X360 because the former are closer to PC. But I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon anyway... I mean, why do you think there is no viable emu for Xbox even though it was x86? It's a miracle the PS2 even has one, those guys working on pcsx2 must be gifted or something.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Note that AMD Mantle API is similar to PS4's graphics API.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

OG Xbox was like a PC too and we still don't have an emulator for that.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Not happening with current pc hardware

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

You are forgetting a certain emulator that targets with the letter N consoles.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Gue1 said:

he's only saying that it would be easier to make a PS4/XB1 emu than it would be to create one for the PS3/X360 because the former are closer to PC. But I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon anyway... I mean, why do you think there is no viable emu for Xbox even though it was x86? It's a miracle the PS2 even has one, those guys working on pcsx2 must be gifted or something.

That PS2 emulator requires a beast of a PC to run it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

blueshogun96, an emulator programmer:

"Xbox is just like a PC, it's easy to emulate!"

Yes, we've all heard this silly and pointless argument a million times and it usually ends in the same, and rather ignorant conclusion (or should I say assumption) that just because the Xbox is PC similar, it's hardware should be relatively easy to emulate. That's a very wrong frame of mind. How hard can it be? Very. Xbox's hardware is very complex and still poorly documented to this day. This requires some explanation.

1. Is a PC easy to emulate? Well, I wouldn't say so myself. Take a look at the source code from bochs. A lot of source code/work isn't it?

2. Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown. In short, the Xbox's CPU can be emulated, but not accurately.

3. Emulating any hardware by NVIDIA is not a walk in the park! The Xbox's GPU, the NV2A is often assumed just a GeForce 3. It's not! It's similar but not identical. It has some GeForce 4 capabilities too, so it's more of a cross between an NV20 and NV25. This is by no means easy to emulate either. NVIDIA's GPUs have very large register sets and afaik not even half of them have been discovered, and a large portion of known registers have unknown purposes. There is little to no documentation on how NVIDIA GPUs work. The best thing to do is to look at similar GPUs such as RIVA, TNT, and older GeForce cards. Some registers are similar, but not identical. The best place to look for information is in open source drivers available on the net. Adding to the dificulty is that no one has ever discovered how pixel shaders work on NV2x cards, vertex shaders yes though. The Xbox GPU also has exclusive registers that are not found in other GeForce cards. Information on the NV2A's GPU registers are just now beginning to be discovered a few months ago. And yet, there's still a long way to go. The GeForce 3 series is the most mysterious of all NVIDIA GPUs (G7x and G8x aside) and the NV2A is alot worse. "But can't you just directly execute the NV2A instructions on another NVIDIA card?". No, I get alot of questions concerning this, and it is impossible. It's MMIO addresses are different and the exclusive registers must be emulated. Plus, in windows, we don't have ring 0 access anyway, so you all can scratch that idea now. Then comes the NForce 2 chipset. This is where it get easier. The NVIDIA MCPX is the control center for things such as audio, USB for input, Network adapters, PCI, AGP, etc. These things are not really that difficult to emulate IMO except for the audio.

4. The Audio system is rather complex. Xbox's audio consists of at least 4 DSPs, and audio codec (AC '97) and an NVIDIA SoundStorm APU. The DSPs shouldn't be a problem (just figuring out what they all are is) nor should the AC '97 but the NVIDIA SoundStorm APU is the really difficult part. So far I haven't found any information on this thing, but right now, it's relevance is low.

5. The Xbox BIOS isn't fully understood. The basic execution process of the BIOS is understood, but details on the process are at a loss. What we do know gives us hints, but before the BIOS can be emulated, we'll need a better understanding of the Xbox hardware layout because the BIOS does some unknown hardware initialization at boot time and writes to the hardware directly without using any XDK stuff. It will take some time, and effort, but I'll eventually get it working.

6. Video Encoder "Hell". Instead of using a RAMDAC for video output, the Xbox uses a Video Encoder. What makes this suck a pain? Microsoft sought the need to change the video encoder every other Xbox version (there are seven in all, 1.0 - 1.6). Why, I dunno, it's a Microsoft thing, they always tend to try to "fix" things that aren't broken >.> AFAIK, there are at least 3 different Video Encoders used: Conexant CX25871, Focus FS454, and Xcalibur. For more information in Xbox video encoders, click here. Emulating all three video encoders is only less than half the battle, the real problem is that BIOSes can be specifically tied to a specific encoder depending on it's version (don't quote me on this though). Like PS2, every Xbox model revision has a updated BIOS and has different expectations. This is a potential problem, but not exactly major.

Basically, I'm trying to get this "Xbox should be easy to emulate because it's just like a PC" crap out of your heads. I'm sure that most of you will disagree with me on this, but for these reasons and more, on a low level, Xbox is harder to emulate than PS2.

^ The exception to that above is that the NV2A is much better documented now, but not fully. There's an open source library for the OpenXDK called pbKit. It interfaces directly with the hardware to fully expose it's potential. This is what Microsoft should have done all along (or at least wrote a low-level OpenGL implementation).

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

Ran fine on my Athlon 64 x2 6000+ PC with a low end card/3GB DDR2 ram. Was running in HD and MSAA x8.

Will we be able to emulate the PS4/Xbox One? That depends if anyone talented is willing to try.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ronvalencia

@Gue1 said:

@ronvalencia said:

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Due to SW's rules, I don't generally comment on emulators.

Read http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/the-quest-to-build-xbox-one-and-ps4-emulators

"software engineer Ben Vanik - who builds emulators in his spare time - says that the newest console's decision to stick to a very PC-like architecture, with x-86 chips and AMD graphics processors, means that this could soon change"

Due to AMD Mantle being close to PS4's graphics APIs, Mantle would be required for any GCN based virtual machine. AMD Mantle API was the game changer for the PC's software ecosystem.

-----------

During original Xbox era, NVIDIA didn't offer the PC platform it's own console like APIs and PC's DirectX's level is too high for low level console API bridge.

Unlike NVIDIA, AMD offers it's GCN docs to the open source and small fish OS platforms (e.g. AmigaOS PowerPC edition) communities.

**AmigaOS's official modern GPU support is AMD Radeon HD and it's drivers are built from AMD's GPU docs.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Why don't PChildren just buy the console?

Their latest video card upgrade costs more than even the Xbone.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Most games are released multiplatforms these days, why would they work on this?....

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

Not really, i have it and can run any PS2 game (that i own and yes i own a working PS2 aswell) at 4k native res with crazy framerates.

I know i have a good PC atm, but i could do similar on my old i7 2600 and 6770 rig.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ronvalencia

@EvanTheGamer said:

Why don't PChildren just buy the console?

Their latest video card upgrade costs more than even the Xbone.

Radeon HD R9-290 cost about $399 USD which is lower than Xbone's $499 USD.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

What did OGs play on the Xbox ? The 50 cent games ? :p

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

This would be AMAZING :D

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

Dont think so, it is a sign of fail when hackers not even bother doing it for the system...lol

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

Beast as in more powerful than the PS2 yeah, but in this day and age ... a Phone could make this boast.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

I would love to have one come out. Just buy the games, pop them in a blu ray drive and if the emulator itself works properly theres a good chance that a lot of people could play exclusives with better graphics. For example Dead Rising 3 might be able to actually run at a solid 30 fps instead of dipping all over the place when hundreds of zombies are on screen.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I expected people to try.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Maybe, the hardware they have is extremely well documented, unlike the Xbox, no one knows how Xbox's custom Nvidia GPU works

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

http://kotaku.com/people-are-already-working-on-emulators-for-the-ps4-and-1479934807

Now if it indeed happens withi the next year or year in a half. Even with certain games. The pirates...

Hermits why you hate gaming?

Actually that´s quite the opposite of hating. If we hated, we wouldn´t try to emulate it.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jhonMalcovich

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

A beast of a PC not. A decent gaming PC yes. Pxs2 was running wonderful on my 2009 PC on Radeon 5870 1GB, which is hardly a beast pc now, it´s more like ps4 equivalent. a PC with Radeon 7850 would be enough.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Neat, I hope they succeed.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts
@aroxx_ab said:

@g0ddyX said:

Dont think so, it is a sign of fail when hackers not even bother doing it for the system...lol

lol True that.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@naz99 said:

Stay classy.

You do realize in your small head that if thee legit people complete the program there will still be pirates?

People pirate music, so by your logic no one should make music devices anymore because people will pirate music for them. Good call. If you're going to insult someone, please don't follow it with something as stupid as you just did.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jhonMalcovich

@Jakandsigz said:

@naz99 said:

Stay classy.

Pirates not, more like Privateers as they attack consoles and not PC. I learnt the difference playing Black Flag :D

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@naz99 said:

Stay classy.

People pirate music, so by your logic no one should make music devices anymore because people will pirate music for them. Good call. If you're going to insult someone, please don't follow it with something as stupid as you just did.

It is the usual moronic response i expected, this guys too dumb to realise piracy has no relevance in this discussion....if you make it the pirates will take advantage of it, just like any form of entertainment emulation is no different but it does not mean it is all done for the sake of piracy.

I like many follow emulation because it is just damn impressive what people can do and it is impressive to see the progress over time,i have also gone out and bought many retail ps2 and ps1 games to use on these emulators they don't have to use pirated games :/

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

The PC or console needs to be a shit ton more powerful than what it's trying to emulate, and you need lots of data on the architecture at that. PC's not too long ago only just got powerful enough to emulate Wii. Doesn't matter how similar these new consoles are to PC's, every architecture is different to some degree and emulation is completely different from porting.

You need hardware almost 2 generations ahead to emulate effectively, if you want to emulate with more resolution and other enhancements. Wii can emulate N64 games but only because there's a lot of extra work put into each title, they're Nintendo's games so they have all the information and there's no resolution increase. Don't expect to see Ps3 emulators anytime soon, we'll probably never see a 360 emulator since there's no use, same reason we never saw an OG xbox emu.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

@Chozofication said:

The PC or console needs to be a shit ton more powerful than what it's trying to emulate, and you need lots of data on the architecture at that. PC's not too long ago only just got powerful enough to emulate Wii. Doesn't matter how similar these new consoles are to PC's, every architecture is different to some degree and emulation is completely different from porting.

You need hardware almost 2 generations ahead to emulate effectively, if you want to emulate with more resolution and other enhancements. Wii can emulate N64 games but only because there's a lot of extra work put into each title, they're Nintendo's games so they have all the information and there's no resolution increase. Don't expect to see Ps3 emulators anytime soon, we'll probably never see a 360 emulator since there's no use, same reason we never saw an OG xbox emu.

It's more like 1 generation to emulate effectively with the Sega Saturn being a exception. The XONE and PS4 could potentially have emulators up and running faster than normal since they may be able to use hardware emulation, while the 360 and PS3 have to be software emulated.

About the Wii emulating the N64. The Wii does actually double the resolution of most N64 games, as 480i wasn't standard till the Dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Perfect, I will just buy a Wii-U now.

PC Domination, RAMPAGE, GODLIKE

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

lmao, have I gone back in time to 2008 or something clyde... no it really doesn't.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Well, he does say it would be impossible to emulate PS4 and X1 games until the systems themselves are hacked.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Devil-Itachi said:

@Chozofication said:

It's more like 1 generation to emulate effectively with the Sega Saturn being a exception. The XONE and PS4 could potentially have emulators up and running faster than normal since they may be able to use hardware emulation, while the 360 and PS3 have to be software emulated.

About the Wii emulating the N64. The Wii does actually double the resolution of most N64 games, as 480i wasn't standard till the Dreamcast.

Actually there are a lot of 480i games on the N64, esp. when games used the expansion pak.

320x240 is PS one territory, not N64.

It really depends on the hardware, since generations have consoles of varying juice. Ps1 could probably be emulated on a 2001 PC, not N64 though.

Let's call it a generation and a half in general, almost 2 for the extra improvements I mentioned. Strictly speaking of the emulators found on PC.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Why would they emulate systems with no games?

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Pxs2 was running wonderful on my 2009 PC on Radeon 5870 1GB, which is hardly a beast pc now, it´s more like ps4 equivalent. a PC with Radeon 7850 would be enough.

GPU doesn't matter for emulators, especially PCSX2. CPU is what matters.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

you should be thankful to those people ( not because they promote piracy or anything because they dont do that ). When MS and Sony in 5-6years from now decide to get a new console with no backwards compatibility instead of your library been useless at least you will have a way to lay your games

I also hate when people conclude that you pirate when you use emulators ( i have 15 ps2 games and a ps2 that no longer is in life so yeah when i play those games on an emulator i dont feel i own anything to Sony neither do i feel i'm doing anything illegally or wrong )

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

This is the real question.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

My laptop can run any game on the pcsx2 at maximum settings.

You either went full retard or I am missing the joke completely.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

@DaBrainz said:

This is the real question.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

lmao, have I gone back in time to 2008 or something clyde... no it really doesn't.

Well it needs something a little more powerful than a PS3 to run PS2 games smoothly. So I can't even imagine what a PS4 emulator would need. Also online integration makes emulation useless in many cases.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@naz99 said:

Stay classy.

I don't have a Wii, but I use Dolphin to play all of my legally purchased Wii/Gamecube games sitting on my shelf (will gladly provide pics for every game w/ my username on a sheet of paper too). If the Ps3/PS4 had an emulator out there that was as good in quality as Dolphin I would be doing the same thing, because why play the game on a console in a low resolution when you can get Xenoblade in 1080p that looks like the one on the right?

Then onto the piracy issue itself, games are going to get pirated no matter what you do because some cheapasses are too frugal to shell out for their hobby. Console games are pirated all the time on the actual hardware and emulation, just like PC games, but you don't hear about that. Instead of focusing on something we can't fix, why not focus on the things that we can fix, like the games being limited in extra effects like AA and a solid 60 FPS on everything?