uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Wonderful fellows like these dictating your content even after you've purchased it.

Can't wait for streaming to be the norm where they have full 100% control with your best interests in mind, of course.

Ubisoft Bans Player-Created Assassin's Creed Quests That Let You Level Up By Doing Nothing

Last month, Ubisoft released a tool that allows players to create their own quests in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Players could choose to have other players’ custom quests appear in their games. Almost immediately came a mess of quests dedicated to rapid-fire power-levelling. “To each their own,” you might say of this questionable practice, but Ubisoft has decided to put its battle-sandal-clad Grecian foot down and ban quests that are simply about easy XP boosting.

These custom quests would, for example, spawn NPCs to instantly kill an enemy for the player, granting them experience in seconds. Players could then repeat this process, gaining sweet, sweet XP until all their dreams came true. Now, about a month later, Ubisoft has announced in a forum post that these types of bogus quests will no longer be tolerated.

“These exploits risk jeopardising the overall quality, integrity, and purpose of Story Creator Mode and results in less visibility for the creative, interesting and frankly fantastic community stories that have been published,” reads a note from the Assassin’s Creed community and development teams.

From now on, XP farming quests will be against the story creator tool’s terms of service. In addition, they will not be surfaced by the game’s automatic recommendation system, and Ubisoft will be “sanctioning those who continue to willingly and intentionally misuse the tool.” The company also re-dedicated itself to “actively” combating other exploits in the future.

It’s worth noting that this particular exploit might have hit close to home, given that Odyssey launched with a suite of pricey microtransactions that offered, among other things, XP and money boosts. They’re still available, alongside others that have come along since. The company has not mentioned that with regard to these player-created quests, however. Instead, it’s focused its messaging on creating an environment in which elaborate stories about gods, men, and, in one tale discovered by Kotaku’s Joshua Rivera, Sith Lords can thrive.

“Story Creator Mode was designed to be a tool for players to let their creativity and imagination run free as they build their very own Stories to share with others,” said Ubisoft. “We want to focus on rewarding creativity by highlighting quality quests.”

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I do feel they should be able to limit these kind of things in a game that doesn't make you want to pull your eyes out with constant grinding... However, this is AC, and UBI have run it into the f*cking ground. Morons.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I do feel they should be able to limit these kind of things in a game that doesn't make you want to pull your eyes out with constant grinding... However, this is AC, and UBI have run it into the f*cking ground. Morons.

I would agree with it in MP for sure. But they have no business doing it if it's SP content. It's my game, I bought it, let me do whatever the hell I like with it.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

I abandoned AC after Origins forced me to grind so I could do missions. Most bullshit mechanic ever.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well it's a good thing Ubi games are so uninteresting then.

Dodged a bullet there....

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I would agree with it in MP for sure. But they have no business doing it if it's SP content. It's my game, I bought it, let me do whatever the hell I like with it.

That's also a completely fair point. These pubs are getting out of hand.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Screw Ubisoft... once this grind starts seeping into the farcry series I will be done with them for good, only good product they have currently..

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

It blows my mind that people still support Ubisoft

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I really hate it when companies design these games with extreme grinding/micro transactions and get mad at us when we find ways to speed up the process.

It’s not our fault you made your game so annoying to level up.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Yeah, pretty dumb. I could see this being needed in an MP game, but in an SP only game that features paywall XP bonuses, it's just bullshit.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

1 - Who mods Ubi games?

2 - Why would you mod Ubi games?

3 - Seems pointless since online games always ban mods.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Greedy bastards

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Wow I cannot even play the game how I wanted to play it. Thought open world game is about creating my own adventure, I'd love to just power through it but nope.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Ban you from playing your own game in single player? huh?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yeah and their new ubistore exclusivity sucks ass too. The prices are damn high, without even competing with retail.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

1 - Who mods Ubi games?

2 - Why would you mod Ubi games?

3 - Seems pointless since online games always ban mods.

These were official 'mod' tools released by Ubisoft themselves.

They released an option to create your own quests in AC, so it's pretty logical people would be all over this.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

WHAT a crock of shit.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's pretty shocking that Ubisoft didn't think about it before they released the tools. Obviously the first thing people will do is to farm XP. Ubisoft is one of the biggest publishers in the world, how could they have missed it? Embarrassing... If they had solved this preemptively they wouldn't have gotten the same backlash. Oh well...

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Gotta sell dem “skip grinding now” micro transactions ???