Ubisoft: We'd be stupid to not release an AC game every year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/28/ubisoft-would-be-very-stupid-not-to-make-yearly-assassins-creeds

Well, so much for any hope of a break.

As long as they can continue to pump out high quality titles, that's just fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I suppose since I did end up buying AC4, I have no right to complain.

That said, I am wary of Unity and will probably ignore comet completely.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Rockstar doesn't release a new GTA game every year, and their last one made a billion dollars in 3 days, and chances are that GTA will still be relevant many years from now if they keep the same philosophy on how they release, and support their games.

Ubisoft is doing to Assassin's Creed what Activision once did to Tony Hawk, and Guitar Hero, and is currently doing to CoD (the last of which sold much, much less than Black Ops 2).

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Yes, I agree. Gamers buy anything. We all know it. Why would any business not do it? I am glad R* doesn't. Don't think they can maintain the quality of GTA in yearly and they know it. But I don't blame companies for doing it.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I can't play another AC game unless they change things up. Would love a revamped combat system or if they took the game in a more stealth direction.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Gotta get dat Grip, make that paper, stack that doe tho.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Hope it flops on an epic level and I don't even wish flops on xbone exclusives.

What do they mean, "They would be stupid not to yearly ass creed games?" No no no.

One stupidest vocalized comments I've ever heard a game producer say. Even if you would want something like this, why would you openly say that? It's not like this is a sports game. Games like this should mean something, with yearly incarnations they will be cut and paste minimal advancement works of episodic content.

They will basically be releasing patches of content that could have been add-ons released as DLC but they want a full $60.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I don't see why they aren't looking at the likes of COD with its yearly releases.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PhazonBlazer

@kinectthedots: Except that every release they've done so far has been mostly high quality and has changed the formula in significant ways.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

The games are rated well enough.....and they sell. Of course they'll ride that train. If you don't like the series...don't buy it. Simple enough. But complaining about is silly.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PhazonBlazer

@Desmonic said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

@kinectthedots: Except that every release they've done so far has been mostly high quality and has changed the formula in significant ways.

*coughRevelationscough*

And I'd say we fans (and non-fans) agree that for the most part AC3 was more of a step backwards than forward. The only real salvageable parts were the naval battles and improved free running/parkour system :P

I said mostly :P

(we don't talk about Revelations)

AC3 was fine though IMO

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

You're the consumer. If you don't want it, don't buy it. They will get the message. And likewise, if they release one per year (or in this case, two, for the two different generations, which I'm glad about because it means the next gen wont be held back by the previous 360, PS3 and wii u tech) and it sells well, then the message is quite clear. People are okay with it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@treedoor said:

Rockstar doesn't release a new GTA game every year, and their last one made a billion dollars in 3 days, and chances are that GTA will still be relevant many years from now if they keep the same philosophy on how they release, and support their games.

Ubisoft is doing to Assassin's Creed what Activision once did to Tony Hawk, and Guitar Hero, and is currently doing to CoD (the last of which sold much, much less than Black Ops 2).

You can either have a franchise that lasts a really long time and makes a lot of money each time it releases, or you can have a franchise that makes less money and releases every year until people get tired of it.

It's hard to fault them for making that call from a business perspective, but as a gamer, it sucks.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@treedoor said:

You can either have a franchise that lasts a really long time and makes a lot of money each time it releases, or you can have a franchise that makes less money and releases every year until people get tired of it.

It's hard to fault them for making that call from a business perspective, but as a gamer, it sucks.

Depends on how well done the game is and what they do to keep it fresh.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@treedoor said:

Well, I personally lost interest in Assassin's Creed after Italian Simulator 2009, but I did love Pirate Simulator 2013. In between? Didn't give a shit.

It's hard to keep a series fresh when you're getting it every year, especially if it takes place in a popular genre, like open-world games.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I'll pass on them, if I ever do feel like playing them I'll just rent them or something.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@treedoor said:

Well, I personally lost interest in Assassin's Creed after Italian Simulator 2009, but I did love Pirate Simulator 2013. In between? Didn't give a shit.

It's hard to keep a series fresh when you're getting it every year, especially if it takes place in a popular genre, like open-world games.

I personally lost interest in AC after the first game since it was terrible (and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never tried another one despite people saying that the games improved), but the new setting is fascinating IMO (the French Revolution).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well if people are willing to buy it, why not

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Ubisoft has about a thousand people working on Assassin's Creed. With such a huge high quality work force, they would be stupid not to release one every year. Ubisoft has not made a bad Assassin's Creed game yet, while Call of Duty finally reached that peak with Ghosts.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@treedoor said:

This x1000

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

The quality has been pretty good but this is why we can't have nice things.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I've only played the shitty spin-offs and I hated them. Vita and PSP version oh god they are horrid.

I do want to play Black Flag on pc but it's so poorly optimized just going to get it on ps4 when I can afford it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#26  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Well, they do sell. One of these days, I need to start getting into those games again. Brotherhood and Revelations left a bad taste in my mouth because of how rehashed they were, but I heard III and IV changed things up quite a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and the downdrop in quality of the single-player didn't help either. II had an awesome story, while Brotherhood's sucked and Revelations, while better, wasn't all that great.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/28/ubisoft-would-be-very-stupid-not-to-make-yearly-assassins-creeds

Well, so much for any hope of a break.

As long as they can continue to pump out high quality titles, that's just fine.

I don't think it's a problem with the amount of titles. But they almost go from good to suck every other year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Unfortunately, they're right. Those that would disapprove of such a move, would likely be the minority... AC is a blockbuster hit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's been Madden territory for awhile, and unlike Madden it can't even rest on the fact that it at least has some gameplay depth.

But yes they would be exceptionally stupid to ruin their current model. They make buckets every year, and it allows them to fund other shit. Until the market shows it's sick of it, make it rain.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#30 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

see no issue...

you get the same amount of games if they released yearly or every 2-3. Yet you risk the fans losing interest because you making them wait too long. 10-30hr SP game yearly is a decent flow

new story, new timeline, new map ~ they should take a leap and push little more to get out of that city white/tan theme little bit

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3218 Posts

Ubisoft wants to be the next Activision.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I was sick of Assassin's Creed after Brotherhood. Revelations was just bad and 3 was boring, but I put up with it to see how it ended. People rave about 4, but I still haven't bothered because it's just too damn many.

I hear people saying things like, 'if they're good, then why not?' It's because being fed the same thing over and over again kills your taste for it eventually, no matter how tasty.

If there had been no Arkham Origins, I would have gone out an bought a One to make sure I was able to play it on launch day. But the combination of Arkham Origins' failure plus the announcement of another Arkham game for the following year and the next gen buy in price all conspired to leave me completely uninterested in playing the(for now) final chapter of the series.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The only stupid is you ubi

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

^ It's all about franchises for them, bro because these big shots think console gamers are too dumb to v realize it's even made by the same company.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#38 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Didn't buy AC4 . Played it a little bit to give it a try , uninstalled it after few hours . I just can't bring myself to play the same game that I play every year . So I can complain about it being milked to death .

I may return to it someday but right now , I'm moving away from AC series for sometime just like COD .

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

*coughRevelationscough*

And I'd say we fans (and non-fans) agree that for the most part AC3 was more of a step backwards than forward. The only real salvageable parts were the naval battles and improved free running/parkour system :P

AC3 combat was alos better. So lets see, AC3 improved parkour and combat? Basically everything in its gameplay? Sorry, but I highly disagree with those who complaint on AC3. Revelations and AC4 are the only ones I havent played yet and AC3 is my favorite cause improved the terrible, terrible combat of the previous ones despite its uninteresting setting.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yes they would be stupid, they make a shit ton of money by releasing a new Assassins Creed every year, why would they stop now? I won't be buying the next one though, I wasn't a fan of AC4.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

When you develop and finally ship that Japanese or Chinese related Ass Creed game Ubi, then I give you my permission to let it die. Never before.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#44 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I am not surprised, i wouldn't be stunned if that happend to Watch Dogs

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46223 Posts

@treedoor said:

Yes,

Rockstar: create better sequels that improve a lot but take longer to make, making sure the series will be alive for a good number of years. i.e. long term profit

Activision and Ubisoft: Milk the crap out of a franchise while it's popular. Don't do much improvements in a sequel so they can be made every 1-2 years. i.e. short term profit.

Though Rockstar does also milk GTA at times (if you count all the handheld games too). I mean how many systems is GTA III, VC and SA on these days ? A lot !

And Ubisoft also makes great sequels to their games (Rayman Origins) so it's not all black and white. Activision is a huge culprit though, they milked Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and COD and 2 of those franchises died because of that already...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@Vatusus said:

@Desmonic said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

*coughRevelationscough*

AC3 combat was alos better. So lets see, AC3 improved parkour and combat? Basically everything in its gameplay? Sorry, but I highly disagree with those who complaint on AC3. Revelations and AC4 are the only ones I havent played yet and AC3 is my favorite cause improved the terrible, terrible combat of the previous ones despite its uninteresting setting.

The combat did not change one bit. Not in any significant way at least. All you need to do is still guard and counter, you could literally take over entire bases like that. Not much to it...

They improved the free/running, added some interesting features like hunting, taking over enemy bases, etc, but the game felt broken. It never felt like a cohesive experience. you just had a bunch of systems in place that did work (for the most part) but didn't really connect nor did they end up adding much to the game itself.

As for AC4 what I hear is that they've improve on that a lot, and the whole experience feels and plays better.

The combat didnt change one bit? wat? It literally required you to pay more attention to counter ala batman arkham series instead of a hold to block mechanic. Was it perfect? no. But it was certainly a VAST improvement over the tedious combat in the previous games. Sorry, but you're wrong. AC3 combat wasnt nearly as bad as the one in previous AC

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@Vatusus said:

@Desmonic said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

*coughRevelationscough*

The combat did not change one bit. Not in any significant way at least. All you need to do is still guard and counter, you could literally take over entire bases like that. Not much to it...

They improved the free/running, added some interesting features like hunting, taking over enemy bases, etc, but the game felt broken. It never felt like a cohesive experience. you just had a bunch of systems in place that did work (for the most part) but didn't really connect nor did they end up adding much to the game itself.

As for AC4 what I hear is that they've improve on that a lot, and the whole experience feels and plays better.

AC4 has the same combat as AC3. Nothing has changed at all, in terms of combat or parkour, actually. It's just more of the same, only there is a much larger focus on sailing. The sailing is pretty great, just like it was in AC3, but the campaign is easily the worst in the series, so unless you like the idea of sailing around a gigantic open world and ticking things off a completionist list, I just can't recommend AC4 to anyone. I didn't love AC3, but I thought it brought enough new concepts to the series to kind of like it. AC4 didn't do anything new, and while building a game around the excellent sailing from AC3 is a great concept, AC4 does a horrible job of making anything you do feel meaningful. The game just feels aimless.