Ubisoft wants to mash up Splinter Cell, The Division, and Ghost Recon into one free to play multiplayer game

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/22523034/ubisoft-battlecat-f2p-shooter-breakpoint-the-division-splinter-cell-leaked

The Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and The Division franchises will cross over in a single multiplayer game made by Ubisoft, according to a social media leak this weekend first reported by VGC.

The project, code-named “BattleCat,” surfaced in several since-deleted images posted Sunday by a Twitter user called Zer0Bytes0. The four images were since removed by Twitter on a copyright claim from Ubisoft. Zer0Bytes0 said the game “began testing around January.”

VGC, without identifying any sources, called the images authentic and said Ubisoft will not be showing it at Saturday’s Ubisoft Forward livestream, which kicks off the week of E3 2021. Polygon has reached out to a Ubisoft representative for additional insight on this leak and when fans may hear more.

Thoughts, SW? Yay or nay? Seems like Ubisoft is all over the place with this idea lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

This dev has no idea what the **** they're doing

-Ubibitch

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Battlecat? I know we shouldn't judge a game by the codename but that's horrible.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

No. No no no. No no no no NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why is it so hard to just make games. We don't want services, we want games! FINISHED GAMES! Games that don't keep us on the hook and bleed us dry 2-5 dollars at a time.

They don't even need to be these big blockbuster monstrosities with marketing budgets in the millions, either, just make a Splinter Cell game that plays for 20 hours and has some replay value. I mean we don't even need Michael Ironside to voice Sam Fischer, either (though that'd be dope!).

Breakpoint would have been a great game if you didn't try to make it *gasp* a game-as-a-service! So what if Destiny and Borderlands sold well, you don't need to copy them with looter-shooter mechanics! Breakpoint had all the makings of a great game but it was fucked up with all the extra bullshit. Cut the bullshit, spend a bit more on missions and activities.....WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT GAME!

Oh and Hyperscape...WTF Happened there!? Tried to phone it in on the battle royale trend and it didn't work out..,MAYBE THERE'S A LESSON THERE, HMMMMMMMMMMMM!?

Ubisoft god damn you, I really want to like your games but you make it so hard.

AND WHERE IS THE NEW SETTLERS!?!?!?!?!?!

Ummm....

....CAPS! EXCLAIMATIONPOINTS !!!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25  Online

@hardwenzen said:

-Ubibitch

Unless they're knowingly trying to upset the woke and metoo crowd....then they definitely know what they're doing :D

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Do we even need to bother saying they are just creating grind wall of microtransaction hell?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen  Online

Very soon, i expect everyone to convert into ubibitches. You will see, Ubisoft doesn't disappoint😊

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I'd love a new Splinter Cell. I may be the minority, I've gone exclusively SP in the last few years. I have way less salt and anger after a session.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

If this is true, I've lost respect for Ubisoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Why is it so hard to just make games. We don't want services, we want games! FINISHED GAMES! Games that don't keep us on the hook and bleed us dry 2-5 dollars at a time.

They don't even need to be these big blockbuster monstrosities with marketing budgets in the millions, either, just make a Splinter Cell game that plays for 20 hours and has some replay value. I mean we don't even need Michael Ironside to voice Sam Fischer, either (though that'd be dope!).

Breakpoint would have been a great game if you didn't try to make it *gasp* a game-as-a-service! So what if Destiny and Borderlands sold well, you don't need to copy them with looter-shooter mechanics! Breakpoint had all the makings of a great game but it was fucked up with all the extra bullshit. Cut the bullshit, spend a bit more on missions and activities.....WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT GAME!

Oh and Hyperscape...WTF Happened there!? Tried to phone it in on the battle royale trend and it didn't work out..,MAYBE THERE'S A LESSON THERE, HMMMMMMMMMMMM!?

Ubisoft god damn you, I really want to like your games but you make it so hard.

AND WHERE IS THE NEW SETTLERS!?!?!?!?!?!

Ummm....

....CAPS! EXCLAIMATIONPOINTS !!!

Unfortunately the gaming industry is becoming more greedy then ever they care more about finding a way to milk the customers wallet then actually make a quality title. Modern gaming is mostly shit these days filled with people in charge that have no passion for gaming just money. I understand it's a business of course but these fat cats don't even try to hide it anymore it feels like corrupt politicians are running the industry these days.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

The market has spoken. Mobile games are making more money than consoles and PC combined, and are service-driven. Consumers have made their bed and will now sleep in it. Ubisoft only cares about what brings the most money.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25  Online

@Juub1990 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

The market has spoken. Mobile games are making more money than consoles and PC combined, and are service-driven. Consumers have made their bed and will now sleep in it. Ubisoft only cares about what brings the most money.

Sorry but I don't buy that.

If they want that mobile money, they can go make mobile games. But right now they make PC and console games, and just because something is more profitable doesn't mean you can't run a good business making slightly less [but still] profitable games.

I didn't make any bed and I sure as hell ain't sleeping in it.

Thank god for the independent games out there, I'd be lost without them. Alleged-AAA development and publishing is straight up garbage.

Also I know technically they are service based, but what exact service do mobile games provide? They offer you constant updates and new crap to waste money on, but what's the actual service?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sorry but I don't buy that.

If they want that mobile money, they can go make mobile games. But right now they make PC and console games, and just because something is more profitable doesn't mean you can't run a good business making slightly less [but still] profitable games.

I didn't make any bed and I sure as hell ain't sleeping in it.

Thank god for the independent games out there, I'd be lost without them. Alleged-AAA development and publishing is straight up garbage.

Also I know technically they are service based, but what exact service do mobile games provide? They offer you constant updates and new crap to waste money on, but what's the actual service?

The part about mobile game isn't what's important, it's the part about games as a service. Look at how much money games like Fortnite, GTA, COD, and other service-driven games are making compared to traditional titles.

You may have chosen this not but the gaming market as a whole has responded positively to getting fleeced by publishers and they'll be more than happy to keep doing it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

So basically, Ubisoft wants to get rid of three of their best series and replace it with another loot box full "free to play" battle royale.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Sounds awful, but I don't particularly care. As a fan of early Splinter Cell games, I'd given up of the franchise long ago.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Ewww

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Battle royale is a massive money maker and no brainer for ubisoft to join the trend. Actually what happened to their previous one valorant or something, did it fail?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mtron32: oh no, me too. I have zero interest in mp games any more too except a private server experience with a few friends once in a while - Diablo, Valheim, Among Us kind of stuff

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Really?? No way?!

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1235 Posts

They should just license out Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia etc to devs who actually give a shit about the series.

They're starting to make EA look halfway decent at this point.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Now I'm really worried about Beyond Good & Evil 2 more so.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I used to love the MP in Splinter Cell. Spy Vs Guard and all that. Could be really cool.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Another "Ubisoft Original."

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I can already see the name, Tom Clancy’s Universe or Tom Clancy’s Combat World.

The concept sounds awful btw. Just imagine a new Splinter Cell with the same care and love the new Hitman games were made... man, so sad.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@my_user_name said:

They should just license out Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia etc to devs who actually give a shit about the series.

They're starting to make EA look halfway decent at this point.

No other publisher would want "Prince of Persia" since they'd only be getting the publishing rights, not the actual creative rights, which Jordan Mechner still holds.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

People still buy or even care about Ubisoft games?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Sounds absolutely awful.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@pc_rocks: Yeah. Loads of people.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Inb4 the move being wildly successful, proving everyone above me wrong...

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

-Ubibitch

Wear that as a badge of pride baby. 👍

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online

@goldenelementxl said:

Inb4 the move being wildly successful, proving everyone above me wrong...

Its Ubisoft lol. Come on.

Loading Video...
LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

I'm surprised it took them this long to try something like this. I'm not gonna lie, I always imagined a Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six mashup but I guess what they are doing is close enough.

I'll gladly check it out.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#34 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

could be a Mobile game.

either way, sounds like its doomed to fail. they might as well just add Sam Fischer and some Ghost Recon bros to R6 Siege and would probably have better results

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

So an open world, stealth, looter shooter? Not a bad idea if done right open world division with co-op stealth missions, I still play the division so I’m kinda curious to see how this turns out