Ubisoft want you to pay $200

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

My freinds, a while back I suggested the idea "next generation" consoles was a gimmick to push micro-transactions as a new standard. Once again, for some reason, people called me a troll. An incredibly hurtful remark that was emotionally damaging for at least 20 minutes.

In this video from a developer conference, a slimey marketing Ubisoft man outright admitting not only to this, but also going on to also admit the aim is for $60 costumers to become $200 customers.

How feels you?

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

only 90$ for gold edition fc4 and ac!

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

So let me get this straight...

Companies, that exist for no other reason than to make money, are creating new methods to market their products and make money.

In other shocking news, the world is a sphere and orbits around the sun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Bruin1986 said:

Companies, that exist for no other reason than to make money, are creating new methods to market their products and make money.

My friend, this was said long ago (by me), in mature non narcissistic MTV generation X tone.

This can of course, be dictated by the consumer. If the consumer has the will and power within them (they don't) to stand up and say "I'm a human being goddammit" mountains can be moved.

Sadly, not to be.

$200 by 2020, making the prediction now. Please take note of this.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Well Ubisoft can suc....................................... (fill in the blank)

Most Ubisoft games are barely worth $20 let alone $200.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Ubifail, continuing to be a company I want nothing to do with.

@Bruin1986 said:

There main reason is to make games and make a profit from games. Ubisoft going into the TV show and Movie market is not needed and will fail. Much like how it failed for Sony.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

I think it's more the way they're going about it as cutting content out to sell as DLC and adding micro-transactions in $60 games. If you ant to charge micro-transactions your game better be free.

He basically said people are willing to get screwed more for the things they love.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

"It's the pirates!" - common and the only logical Ubisoft answer to why their PC games sell like shit.

It has nothing to do with that people are actually using their head and won't pay for a piece of overpriced crap.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

If you look closely, the man actually spontaneously giggles with excitement when he says the word "money".

What an evil bastard.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I will never buy a dlc or any kind of micro transaction.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Now who is more to blame? The developers for selling the content, or the consumers for buying it?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@uninspiredcup: . An incredibly hurtful remark that was emotionally damaging for at least 20 minutes.

that was funny dude

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

he does fumble his phrasing a little bit which makes him sound a bit disingenuous, but that aside and just focusing on this 200 american dollar game idea.

its not entirely silly. i wonder for how many individuals eve online, wow, everquest, - or whatever became a $200+ game. bf4 was like, $110usd for premium day 1 (dat rite?)

i think one the thing the guy's alluding to is getting a total of $200 out of a customer through just one game. honestly, i think that's going to be an easy goal to achieve for a big company like ubisoft. they'll be doing it by christmas 2015 on a consistent basis. microtransactions or subscriptions are probably the way to go.

and actually, i just listened to it again (show the mrs what's up), and another thing i think he's talking about is branching out into other entertainment industries where their target demographic their money, so they can offer something from a familiar, appealing franchise in movie form - and take more of that individual's money by selling them something they supposedly want, eg more content from the universe of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'm sure @PhazonBlazer would have no trouble paying this. In fact, he would pay anything Ubisoft wanted.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Way to spin his words.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Buy Evolve. Don't buy the DLC.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

He just said what pretty much everyone is doing. The way you've presented it though is unfair. It's not just Ubisoft, but tonnes of other publishers. In fact, Sony and Microsoft's online service requires a subscription fee, which is just the same thing: "turning $60 customers into $200 customers".

In the end, vote with your wallet.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Ubisoft - We follow a formula, create the same games over and over, plaster it with DLC and microtransactions, and milk the franchise you love until you hate it.

Ubisoft is the definition of insanity.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#21 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

What about me, the $10 customer?

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

That's what you get when you let non-gamers make games.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Watch Dogs was my last Ubi game. Don't intend on spending more money on crap.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KungfuKitten

Generally speaking, these companies are becoming too skilled in tricking the consumer. I think you can see where this is going. People will be against this, but it will work. Because they are so good at making it work, that 'vote with your wallet' does not apply anymore.

Either the people get more legal protection against corporate tricks, or our schools teach children how to protect themselves against spending more than they wanted to.

Otherwise we will have experts in fooling people up against people who really don't know better. That won't go well. I don't want to live in a society where you have to triple check everything with everyone because you get back stabbed by corporations left and right. We're not living in the middle ages anymore.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KungfuKitten

@CyberLips said:

And you, sir, are right on the money.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I will continue to limit my purchases to 10 euros and below thanks to Steam, with the exception of some notable releases that get me excited (a very difficult measure).

If prices to arbitrarily increase (they won't) I won't be affected.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@CyberLips said:

Well these people aren't exactly the ones making the games... They're the marketing leaders and managers, doing all of the money stuff, and according the statistics these people also earn more money, go figure.

I think, decreasing the salaries of these people would be a good idea.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KungfuKitten

@parkurtommo said:

@CyberLips said:

Well these people aren't exactly the ones making the games... They're the marketing leaders and managers, doing all of the money stuff, and according the statistics these people also earn more money, go figure.

I think, decreasing the salaries of these people would be a good idea.

Yeah. Lowering the salaries of management. Good luck with that :)
But you're right, they aren't the actual people making these games. That would be work. They are just the ones who tell them to.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I have no problem putting 200 dollars into the game if additional content justifies it. But Ubisoft's DLC are usually crap. At the same time wouldn't mind buying 40$ Anno 2070 add-ons for 3 years

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Gamers have been sucking this guys dck for ten years now. What has changed? Nothing.

Buy a Wiiu. These other guys just want their sacks in your mouth.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

With DLC, microtransactions and now publisher subscription services we're well on the way.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My freinds, a while back I suggested the idea "next generation" consoles was a gimmick to push micro-transactions as a new standard. Once again, for some reason, people called me a troll. An incredibly hurtful remark that was emotionally damaging for at least 20 minutes.

In this video from a developer conference, a slimey marketing Ubisoft man outright admitting not only to this, but also going on to also admit the aim is for $60 costumers to become $200 customers.

How feels you?

Who play ubisoft games anyway, they are bad games

The only good ones they released were the one that they didn't dev themselves like far cry 1 for instance

but that time is long gone

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Now who is more to blame? The developers for selling the content, or the consumers for buying it?

If you create it, someone will buy it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Consolites are already responsible for raising the price of games from $50 to $60. If they're dumb enough to pay those prices, why stop there?

What a stupid remark. If that is the case, can I blame PC gamers for paying £40 for AC:U or FC4? Because that's what they are listed at on Steam.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Once again, for some reason, people called me a troll. An incredibly hurtful remark that was emotionally damaging for at least 20 minutes.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

It's an oblate spheroid, actually.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I haven't bought an ubisoft game in years.Never plan to either.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I spent $129 for CE AC for the PS4, so I'm almost there!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Ubisoft like any other company working with a product, wants to up-sell you with buying premium shit. This is actually a tactic a lot of industries use, and would be no different in the realm of videogames. Yes it can be shady, and yes it is usually a waste of money, but I also have no sympathy who get hood winked into being so stupid with their money. If Ubisoft is making 200 dollars from idiots: then one must blame the idiots.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

EA have done this long time with SIMS and the over 20 DLC's for each game

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@clyde46 said:

@farrell2k said:

Consolites are already responsible for raising the price of games from $50 to $60. If they're dumb enough to pay those prices, why stop there?

What a stupid remark. If that is the case, can I blame PC gamers for paying £40 for AC:U or FC4? Because that's what they are listed at on Steam.

It's actually £50. Being incredibly heroic, I complained about it. But alas, amoung the steam top 10 sellers.

With (for some reason) a few pc gamers, actively defending it. attempting to clamp out any dissidence.

Strange.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Well consoles are about milking now. Special Editions, online, DLC, every piece of shit they can peddle, they will. But they make it look okay by giving us a couple of games every month.

When you see the milking for what it is, it's actually strange to imagine people are cows or lems. To act that way about these parasite consoles and companies. Nintendo as far as I can tell, is the last one who has the balance between making money and fucking your wallet dry.

Now every company wants a piece of that on consoles.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

So a Company wants to take a consumer from spending £60 to spending more, maybe even £200 and this is news? Every single business operates under this pretence, if you are in a restaurant, they try to sell you the wine, if you buy an electrical product, its the insurance policy, cables and other various accessories. What Ubisoft and every other Publisher want you to do is buy the initial game at £45, maybe shift you to a collectors edition at £70-£125, then buy a season pass for £20-£40 in order to keep you tied to their game, give you a reason to continue playing on or come back when each iteration of DLC launches. They then would most likely offer microtransactions after that, ala Titanfall. Its unfortunately the way of the world and nothing new. Simple answer, if you enjoy the game, then buy it and any DLC that takes your fancy.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@AdobeArtist: both, but of course, not in the same extent. Companies are more to blame. The consumer, most of the times, is not aware of the actual value behind the product or the "added content". It's a very contemporary market vice, backed by the never before so efficient hype machine we have in marketing nowadays. Or would you blame the small time salary man for believing market hypes on bad papers pushed by banks and stock brokerages?

The ways we consumers have today to counter these uber marketing tools are simply too weak. Word of mouth and social medias. There can't be a X1-level backlash for every milking strategy companies try to push on us. People haven't even the time for that. Or they don't notice everything that's going on everytime... that's only natural, sadly. Especially when they are not as individualized and obvious, but softly implemented, like DLC, which one day becomes day one DLC (already budgeted for in the original game development), F2P with microtransactions, then paid for games with microtransactions, then subscription based games, then subscriptions + microtransactions, and so on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@ccagracing said:

. Simple answer, if you enjoy the game, then buy it and any DLC that takes your fancy.

Publishers want you to pay more -

If you like the game, pay more -

That's not really a simple answer. It's half of an overly simplstic answer (which is an opinion) with no obviose counter or perspective outside the immediate. It's 1 option, that being of passive ignorance as the right one.

If you have a great big tiger, and you deprive it of food, no matter how ferocious the tiger is, it will die.

The fact is, regardless of how lowly we view the consumer (and we do) they do hold the keys. On a market stall, if someone doesn't like the price given, they barter, forcing the seller to compromise. It's been said a gazzillion before, but it is true, if consumer (as in you) vote with your money, you dictate all this shit. All of it.