Ubisoft tease next Far Cry game, reveal at TGA (also, spoiler warning - maybe?)

• 55 results
#1 Edited by madrocketeer (5882 posts) -

Here's the teaser:

Ooohh, post-apocalyptic. Looks like Ubisoft are taking a stab at their own little Fallout-style game, maybe?

Also, again, spoiler warning:

It also looks like it could be a direct continuation from one of the endings of Far Cry 5. Interesting. Don't think Ubisoft ever done this with the Far Cry series before.

Anyway, thoughts?

#2 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

Yawn another far cry game. instead of announcing splinter cell and revive the series. no no, lets just rehash far cry and assassins creed again and again and again.

also this is set in post apocalyptic. RAGE 2 also releasing next year and will own this game.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

Yawn another far cry game.

#4 Posted by GarGx1 (10537 posts) -

Could be interesting, Farcry 5 is a good game

**Spolier** discussion

It would make sense for my play through any way as I got the nuke'd world ending

#5 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:

far cry 5 is perfect example of how not to make open world game.

#6 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

The game is fine. It's just you.

#7 Posted by GarGx1 (10537 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@GarGx1 said:

In your opinion, which is fine, but I enjoy them. I also think Assassin's Creed Odyssey is the best game in the series for years as well.

#8 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -

I kinda had a clue based on the main menu screen image.

#9 Edited by with_teeth26 (9102 posts) -

I wonder if its a post-apocalyptic expansion to FC5 rather than a fully new game

FC5 had a truly awful story and characters so i'm not too keen to get more of that

#10 Posted by GarGx1 (10537 posts) -
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I kinda had a clue based on the main menu screen image.

They usually release an alternative version of the main game in between releases (Blood Dragon and Primal) so that's certainly feasible.

#11 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -
@GarGx1 said:

They usually release an alternative version of the main game in between releases (Blood Dragon and Primal) so that's certainly feasible.

I think the nuclear thing at the end of Far Cry 5 came out of the blue which was highly unusual and left a lot of questions. The previous Ubisoft Far Cry games had closure that ensured there won't be any follow-up.

I'm game for this next release although I get the feeling Ubisoft is experimenting too.

#12 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (17922 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: It's funny how you criticise some games for being just rehashes, yet another copy and paste Just Cause game is the best thing ever... lol, ok then.

Anyway, I'd be up for another FC. As long as it's not an online thing.

#13 Posted by The-A-Baum (998 posts) -

I am actually really stoked for this. I really dig the post apocalyptic setting. Be it Zombies, or Nuclear, but really more so nuclear.

I have only played Far Cry 3,4 and 5. #3 was the best but 4 and 5 had their merits and still had lots of fun. But I understand large Sandbox games are not for everyone.

Would be nice to not play as a mute in this game and would be awesome if they added some RPG elements. Pull back on the fetch quests and rescuing abducted people. I always love the trippy stuff they do, in drug sequences. They have a lot to work with and I am excited.

#14 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -

Perhaps, I'm hard of hearing. But, did the narrator mention three years of rain? If so, that means this next one will be FC5 Part 2 and some characters from Part 1 will return. I don't mind so long as Part 2 provides the closure and there is no Part 3. If there will be a Part 3, then it's milkage time.

#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29497 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

I wonder if its a post-apocalyptic expansion to FC5 rather than a fully new game

FC5 had a truly awful story and characters so i'm not too keen to get more of that

It had even worse DLC, so who'd want more of that ?

#16 Posted by blueinheaven (4383 posts) -

A Fallout type game from Ubisoft? I suppose it beats Bethesda using their 20 year old game engine for Fallout 5.

I liked FC5 despite the weak characters and story but I think Ubisoft are moving in the right direction particularly with AC Odyssey which I freakin love (my personal GOTY) so yeah I'm excited to see what they have coming up next.

#17 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ghosts4ever: It's funny how you criticise some games for being just rehashes, yet another copy and paste Just Cause game is the best thing ever... lol, ok then.

Anyway, I'd be up for another FC. As long as it's not an online thing.

i never call just cause as best thing ever. but yeah JC2 in 2010 was best of its kind ie third person open world gta clone.

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17922 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: You haven't stopped posting about how awesome you think JC4 looks and that everything else that came this year is sh*t in comparison (LOL! btw).

As I said, you can't criticise other games for being just another rehash when JC4 is the textbook definition of it.

#19 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ghosts4ever: You haven't stopped posting about how awesome you think JC4 looks and that everything else that came this year is sh*t in comparison (LOL! btw).

As I said, you can't criticise other games for being just another rehash when JC4 is the textbook definition of it.

i was comparing to other gta type games. JC2 is still better than any GTA.

#20 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

Hated FC5 is was so boring and the characters were shit, the only redeemable thing about it was cheeseburger.

Why won't they just make another SC game, get your shit together Ubi.

#21 Posted by Litchie (22628 posts) -

Oh gee, can't wait for FarCry 13 where I can finally play the same game yet again! What skin did they give it this time? Post apocalyptic? Awesome!

#22 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Oh gee, can't wait for FarCry 13 where I can finally play the same game yet again! What skin did they give it this time? Post apocalyptic? Awesome!

not to mention Rage 2 and Metro Exodus also have post apocalyptic and how much this game will be pale in comparison to those games.

#23 Posted by PC_Rocks (1419 posts) -

Yay another Far Cry. Just what the world needs.

#24 Edited by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

Aside from that rumor, I also heard Ubisoft could be revealing a new Splinter Cell cause they been fighting for resources on it few months ago. I hope this is just a cover up and could be revealing SC over a new Far Cry game.

I actually like FC5, never understood why people here hated that game but oh well right?

#25 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

not to mention Rage 2 and Metro Exodus also have post apocalyptic and how much this game will be pale in comparison to those games.

One thing the Far Cry games have over those games are the utilization of the 3D space via air, land, and water. I'm not limited to a walkathon or burrowing under like mice....pretty much a walkathon too.

Although I'm disappointed at the lack of Reset Outpost in FC5, I still had a blast.

The only thing Ubisoft needs to do is to make the bad guys more lethal, especially from the air.

#26 Edited by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

and here it is.

it has been leaked. its called far cry new dawn.

and it looks terrible.

#27 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

gamers: we want splinter cell.

Ubisoft: ok, lets rehash far cry 18 and assassins creed 36 over and over again.

#28 Posted by robert_sparkes (1742 posts) -

Still got 5 in my backlog after hating primal which left a sour taste. Yet another far cry game 😴

#29 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

It does seem more like a DLC than a new game, they just completed FC 5 so it would be terribly bad news if they are already throwing out a brand new game.

Also, FC5 was shit beyond shit so imagine how bad a new FC game would be if they already came out now.

#30 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -

They're the bad guys? Fine with me. I mean, the last 3 games had the villains on the box art.

#31 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29497 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

You: Only make the games I enjoy

Developers: zzzZzzzzZZZZzzzz

#32 Posted by warmblur (1098 posts) -

FC5 is one of my favorite games of 2018 seems like they're jumping the gun here with another game the series needs a break now.

#33 Posted by Jendeh (48 posts) -

I really enjoy the Far Cry games. I know what they are and I know there isn't a ton of innovation here. I don't expect it. Still, I do enjoy them and that includes Far Cry 5. I'll play the next release and enjoy it too.

#34 Posted by Jebus213 (10043 posts) -

@ghosts4ever:

Looks like a feminst had a good dream.

#35 Posted by rmpumper (336 posts) -

FC5 was kind of trash and this new one looks like a mod of that.

#36 Edited by PC_Rocks (1419 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

You: Only make the games I enjoy

Developers: zzzZzzzzZZZZzzzz

He's not wrong though. It's been a very very long time since we got any PoP or SC while Far CRy and AC pretty much churned out annually.

#37 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -
@Jebus213 said:

Looks like a feminst had a good dream.

If the twins were protagonists, sure. But, they're the villains. It's been a while since I've seen a female villain. I actually relish the thought of killing them and anything pink. ;)

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#38 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27370 posts) -

A far cry from what I expected.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#39 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2331 posts) -

Farcry , Rage two, Outer world, Fallout 76.

Post Apocalyptic seems to be all the new rage noe.

I will say Outer World actually looks cool.

#40 Posted by Sevenizz (2192 posts) -

I enjoyed 5, probably my favorite game of this year - but I think it’s too soon for another one.

#41 Posted by xhawk27 (10876 posts) -

And people talk about how BF V is a re-skin of BF 1.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29497 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

He's not wrong though. It's been a very very long time since we got any PoP or SC while Far CRy and AC pretty much churned out annually.

I've been dying to see another POP or Splinter Cell.

#43 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@Litchie said:

This, pretty much.

It's a Steam sale.

#44 Posted by Karnage108 (2476 posts) -

I'm pretty damn stoked for the new Far Cry. Yes, it's post-apocalyptic, but it's not exactly a surprise why if you played Far Cry 5. And if the game ends up being better than Fallout 76 atleast, then who cares?

Hopefully they bring back Hammock for the soundtrack.

#45 Posted by henrythefifth (1930 posts) -

Gotta say, I'm genuinely excited for Ubis new stuff.

This gen ubi has proven they can change and create totally original new games, even with old franchises! (unlike Rockstar who just keep repeating last gen poo in RDR2)

So, awesome Ubi games coming again. Ubi is the king of virtual worlds!

#46 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -

Based on PC Gamer's article.....

https://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-new-dawn-will-bring-back-some-familiar-faces-but-boomer-isnt-one-of-them/

The format of the game world in New Dawn will be similar to the ones in Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. There is the open-world map plus the unique storyline maps which aren't accessible in free-explore. I have a gut feeling this is where Reset Outpost Mode makes a return (Yaaaay!). I guess they couldn't retrofit Reset Outpost Mode into Far Cry 5.

#47 Posted by phbz (3816 posts) -

A shop that sells broken games and gives no refunds? Yes please!

#48 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8006 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@Litchie said:

This, pretty much.

It's a Steam sale.

i remember there was a time when people hated far cry 2 and call it boring, repetitive. but it was pretty great game.

now compare to newer far cry games. far cry 2 is a masterpiece.

#49 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24703 posts) -

5 was okay for a bit, but I heard the DLC was awful. Also, it's way too early for another Far Cry. I'll probably be skipping this one at launch and picking it up for half off down the road.

#50 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29497 posts) -
@henrythefifth said:

Gotta say, I'm genuinely excited for Ubis new stuff.

This gen ubi has proven they can change and create totally original new games, even with old franchises! (unlike Rockstar who just keep repeating last gen poo in RDR2)

So, awesome Ubi games coming again. Ubi is the king of virtual worlds!

Funny you compare Rockstar and Ubisoft, both seem hellbend on milking people with microtransactions.