UBISOFT in desperation mode. Four games canned.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll UBISOFT in desperation mode. Four games canned. (36 votes)

Good. Good. Goooooooood 56%
F yea, dude 8%
Oh no. What a sad day :) 36%

I have been moaning about this company for so long. Years of rehashing and chasing trends is finally biting them in the ass.

Remember the Ghost Recon Frontline that was heavily memed on? Well, that's gone. Splinter Cell VR, a game i've never heard off of is also canned. Two other unannounced games were cancelled as well, and with no news about Prince of Persia and Beyond Good And Evil 2 in so long, there's no way they're still scheduled for release

On the same day that Ubisoft delayed Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and a "smaller" premium game, the publisher also confirmed that it has canceled four games.

These include the Splinter Cell VR title and Ghost Recon: Frontline, as well as two unannounced titles that Ubisoft did not disclose.

While the Splinter Cell VR game has been canned, fans of the series are getting a remake of the original game. As for Ghost Recon: Frontline, this was a free-to-play battle royale game. As for the other two unannounced games that have now been canceled, it's anyone's guess as to what they might be.

Ubisoft did not give a reason for the cancellation of these four titles. Game development is a highly iterative process and games get canceled all the time, even if we never hear about them. For example, Blizzard cancels about 50% of the games that it begins development on.

While Ubisoft has canceled four games and delayed two others, the company has a number of big projects coming up, including Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope and Skull and Bones, both of which are releasing this year. In September, Ubisoft will reveal "the future of Assassin's Creed," and many believe this pertains to the rumored new Assassin's Creed game featuring Valhalla's Basim.

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

Ubisoft are baddies.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

I saw leaked footage of Frontline and liked it. Was looking forward to it. I’m hearing nothing but positives about XDefiant so hopefully that pulls through. Everyone testing it on PC says it’s great but probably not coming until next year.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

I remember that shitty game they released...and I paid for it. What was it called, that greek game, fenyx immortal legends or something.

Hopefully they bring back prince of persia. PoP was what put ubi on the map.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38795 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

I saw leaked footage of Frontline and liked it. Was looking forward to it. I’m hearing nothing but positives about XDefiant so hopefully that pulls through. Everyone testing it on PC says it’s great but probably not coming until next year.

It look so unoriginal that don't be too surprised if this is getting cancelled as well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I remember that shitty game they released...and I paid for it. What was it called, that greek game, fenyx immortal legends or something.

Bu bu but i heard so many people saying that it was surprising good. Yea right🤣Good+Ubisoft don't mix well together.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Bu bu but i heard so many people saying that it was surprising good. Yea right🤣Good+Ubisoft don't mix well together.

it was a quick cash job, they tried to pull off in the new gen.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1233 Posts

2 unannounced ??? as in games that were unnannounced or the cancellations have yet to be announced?

They should sell off all their old IPs to somebody else and be done with it. Every series that was released prior to the PS3/360 would be better off elsewhere. (PoP, Rayman, Splinter Cell)

Splinter Cell VR might've been cool.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24913 Posts

despite ubisoft being very lackluster, Im still looking forward to splinter cell remake.

I just want old school splinter cell style game back.

not blacklist or conviction shit.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I just canned all Ubisoft games after they started pulling games from peoples library. Borderlands and Division can kma.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Probably the start of a trend with the major publishers. They clearly think that the cost of making these games would be too much, even though they sit on a ton of money and easy revenue streams from their microtransaction riddled games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

it was a quick cash job, they tried to pull off in the new gen.

They were just chasing trends as they always do. They saw BOTW success, and just copied it with no vision for their game.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10430 Posts

@my_user_name said:

Splinter Cell VR might've been cool.

thought the same. if it was like the old splinter cells and more methodical and slower paced than conviction and blacklist that play style could have really been a nice fit for vr

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Don’t care about Splinter Cell VR or Ghost Recon Frontline. That Avatar game looks pretty good so I am interested in that.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

@hardwenzen: it’s changed a lot. Dropped the Tom Clancy named, changed the logo, hired COD professionals to help with development, they’re actually taking it slow. Almost every week PC gamers get to test it and provide feedback. I’m in the Discord and people are saying they’re really trying to make this game a hit, not just releasing garbage. Taking in a ton of player feedback, trying to do what gamers want. We’ll see though. I expect to see it at Ubi’s event next month.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

I wonder if the 2 un-announced games were ghost of tsunami 2 and the 3rd in the horizon series

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

These days, Sony studios like Guerrilla Games and Sucker Punch make much better Ubisoft games. Their games have no MTX nonsense like XP boosts, materials and maps to buy with real money and grind heavy game design for that purpose. It is clear as day to many gamers which UX (user experience) is better.

Also, their workplace harassment and sexual abuse has come to light, causing them to lose the trust of their users and investors. I don't think their games being canceled will cause any loss to the gaming community at all.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I would like Splinter Cell to go back to it's roots, don't care about VR.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@st_monica said:

These days, Sony studios like Guerrilla Games and Sucker Punch make much better Ubisoft games. Their games have no MTX nonsense like XP boosts, materials and maps to buy with real money and grind heavy game design for that purpose. It is clear as day to many gamers which UX (user experience) is better.

Also, their workplace harassment and sexual abuse has come to light, causing them to lose the trust of their users and investors. I don't think their games being canceled will cause any loss to the gaming community at all.

That is actually very true.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Ubisoft. Now there's a name I do a pretty good job of forgetting mostly because their games are so forgettable anyway and they seem to not care so much about their old franchises like Splinter Cell, Rayman, Prince of Persia, etc and would rather focus on making laundry list games with soulless questgivers to fill players' time with going to X area, kill this, fetch that, collect 100 feathers, and hey, let's call that a game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

So, hating on Ubisoft is the latest hip thing to do.

Gamers 🙄

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

Probably because they were planning a massive NFT infrastructure in upcoming titles and the cyrpto-crash of the last few months made them rethink their monetization targets. Squenix is probably going to be right behind them.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4364 Posts

front line came out.... wow idk that and i like wild lands and such.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@mazuiface said:

Probably the start of a trend with the major publishers. They clearly think that the cost of making these games would be too much, even though they sit on a ton of money and easy revenue streams from their microtransaction riddled games.

I think struggling pubs like Ubi are just hoping to cash out to MS and farm their IPs to them in the future. The Consolidation of Gaming is also going to be a great shrinking

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 731 Posts

UBISOFT in desperation mode. Four games canned

And sell their IP's to devs and publishers that know how to develop video games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

I don't want ubi to fail, I want them to get their act together.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:

I don't want ubi to fail, I want them to get their act together.

Unless the management is completely replaced (i believe this is what happened with Capcom), there is no chances of them improving. Their NFT plans will only damage their company even further.

Just like with EA, as soon as a new game is announced, people all over are already memeing it because they've seen enough failures from them. Negativity spreads, and the sales tank. Blizzard is in the same situation as well.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Ubi is garbage.

A once respectable company who built up a decent catalog and pumped out some all-time greats of the industry, who has now fallen for the almighty buck at all costs and guts their games into exploitation and monetization while ignoring the ones that don’t offer such opportunity.

What a way to flush such an awesome legacy down the toilet for the dime. They rank amongst the worst of what soulless capitalism affords…..right alongside Activision and EA.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2250 Posts

Not sure this really means what you want it to mean… I mean yeah one could hope they would get their act together and stop reskinning ass creed every year, but didn’t they just announce that Valhalla was their best selling game yet? So zero chance of that happening!

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8197 Posts

Happy they are remaking splinter cell instead of doing VR splinter cell.

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Simonthekid7
Member since 2014 • 981 Posts

I like Ubisoft a lot.

But they need to find their groove again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@simonthekid7 said:

I like Ubisoft a lot.

And how is it that you like them a lot? What's the reasoning behind this?

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Simonthekid7

@hardwenzen said:
@simonthekid7 said:

I like Ubisoft a lot.

And how is it that you like them a lot? What's the reasoning behind this?

They are a fine company. They released a number of games in the past which i liked. They are usually great at building game worlds. Games like Rayman, Assassins creed, far cry and ghost recon wildlands are a few of their fine games. also i think the mario rabbids games look fun but have not tried them.

And i also enjoyed watch dogs.

Maybe they sort of make almost the same open world game over and over again but at least their games seem a bit more well designed than action games from other really big (american) gaming companies like EA or Activision blizzard who make action games. At least in ubisoft games you need to think a little bit about what to do or where to go and i think they also take world building seriously as well as getting things historically correct.

I am kind of impressed by how many big AAA productions ubi soft has been releasing during the last decade too. But maybe they milked the assassins creed series a bit too much at one point with annual games as well as the liberation and rogue spin off games and the chronicles 2,5 D games.

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Simonthekid7

And also the The Crew games which are technically impressive with the huge open world to explore and race in.

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Simonthekid7

Also i should mention Splinter cell and the Division of course.

I think also Ubisoft are not afraid of making brand new games instead of just releasing sequels. Sometimes their new games are great and sometimes they are "so-so" but i like how they try to do something new. I think in 2014 they introduced the first Watch Dogs game and a year or two later it was time for the Division. And other new games like The Crew and skull & bones too.

EA and Activision seem like companies who are more sequel - heavy and want a lot of their big games to release even once a year.

Of course Ubisoft did it with Just Dance but at the same time they seem to want to try new things too.

I know some people might say Wild lands was an open world GTA style game and not a real Ghost recon game and they have a point i think because it is more of an action game than open world stealth. But i really liked exploring the world and having a squad to work with. It was a beautiful country to have the game take place in with the mountains and jungle and it felt not just like a playground like in Just cause but like a real living world with different factions and innocent civilians. and also being able to fly anywhere in a helicopter or a plane was cool.

I think Ubisoft is a nice game company if you look at what they did the last 10-15 years. If you look at the last 2-4 years you might be more critical? But i think they are going to deliver more great games. It is the way of the ubi to try new things and try to innovate and improve.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

Not great.

Ubisoft is a company I'd love to hate but just can't. They make decent games, even great games, occasionally. They own a lot of my favorite series (AC, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, etc).

I still think The Division 2 is the best example of a loot-n-shoot on the market right now. It is far better than Destiny 2 mechanically, though it sadly lacks the community (and whatever "x factor" Destiny seems to hold).

While their quality has declined, they still make some OK stuff.

TL;DR: I totally get why some people dislike them, but if you're being honest with yourself they're still making some good games in recent years. I mean, what's the alternative for AAA? EA and Activision? 2K? Sad situation all around but I will take Ubisoft's catalog from the last few years over either of those companies.

@simonthekid7 said:

I think Ubisoft is a nice game company if you look at what they did the last 10-15 years. If you look at the last 2-4 years you might be more critical? But i think they are going to deliver more great games. It is the way of the ubi to try new things and try to innovate and improve.

Yeah, pretty much this. Hands down made some of my most-played games in the last decade or two, but recently their trend- and fad-chasing has really made me lose a lot of respect for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Skull and Bones looks great actually

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Avatar looks better than anything Sony has in the works, including god of war DLC Ragnarok

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@simple-facts said:

Avatar looks better than anything Sony has in the works, including god of war DLC Ragnarok

And the Ragnarok DLC looks a generation ahead of your unfinished flagship title, Infinite

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34594 Posts

All of those games sounded bad anyway. Even the two unnanounced games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34594 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

TL;DR: I totally get why some people dislike them, but if you're being honest with yourself they're still making some good games in recent years. I mean, what's the alternative for AAA? EA and Activision? 2K? Sad situation all around but I will take Ubisoft's catalog from the last few years over either of those companies.

I'm just sad about what Ubi has become. Haven't played The Division, but it just feels like Ubi makes their open world games on autopilot. If I'm being honest, FIFA isn't a bad game either. If you catch my drift.

Regarding AAA alternatives, I'd say Nintendo > Ubisoft. Despite Nintendo also sucking balls right now compared to what they were in the past, still the best AAA dev around. Solid and finished games on release. That really shouldn't be too much to ask for, but for most AAA devs, it definitely is.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

I never had a problem with Ubisoft. I love Far Cry, and they have even learned not to release a new Assassin's Creed game every single year.

But they need to revitalise Splinter Cell. Make a remake of the first game or something like that. Bring back the stealth elements.

Oh, by the way games get cancelled all the time. It is not that big of a deal that a large gaming company cancels 4 games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23899 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Not great.

Ubisoft is a company I'd love to hate but just can't. They make decent games, even great games, occasionally. They own a lot of my favorite series (AC, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, etc).

I still think The Division 2 is the best example of a loot-n-shoot on the market right now. It is far better than Destiny 2 mechanically, though it sadly lacks the community (and whatever "x factor" Destiny seems to hold).

They make decent strategy games and platformers too. But when they are chasing AAA trends, they are really bad.

Not to mention the culture going on at Ubisoft, enough that I dont want to buy Mario XCOM 2, even if it looks really nice, and the first one was really good.

I would love it if Rainbow Six went back to the true tactical shooter again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hardwenzen
@Maroxad said:

Not great.

They make decent strategy games and platformers too. But when they are chasing AAA trends, they are really bad.

Not to mention the culture going on at Ubisoft, enough that I dont want to buy Mario XCOM 2, even if it looks really nice, and the first one was really good.

I would love it if Rainbow Six went back to the true tactical shooter again.

noooob, buy a used copy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

@Maroxad: Yeah if it wasn't for Anno and Assassin's Creed I wouldn't pay them any attention at all, to be honest.

They've ruined so many franchises, which a lot of companies that large tend to do, but their business tactics are also shitty as hell. Plus their culture seems bad as well; not just the fake progressive stuff they do to make up for their bad stuff, but their other aspects as well....I mean, who designs their outfits? Do they really think people will dress that way ten years into the future like they do in Watch Dogs Legion? C'mon 😋

Like I said, a company I'd love to hate if it wasn't for like...three reasons.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Not a big deal. Games get cancelled every day, B.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23899 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Maroxad: Yeah if it wasn't for Anno and Assassin's Creed I wouldn't pay them any attention at all, to be honest.

They've ruined so many franchises, which a lot of companies that large tend to do, but their business tactics are also shitty as hell. Plus their culture seems bad as well; not just the fake progressive stuff they do to make up for their bad stuff, but their other aspects as well....I mean, who designs their outfits? Do they really think people will dress that way ten years into the future like they do in Watch Dogs Legion? C'mon 😋

Like I said, a company I'd love to hate if it wasn't for like...three reasons.

Anno is great.

I also like Mario XCOM, The Two South Park games and Rayman. But we havent seen a rayman game in a while now. And with South Park and Mario XCOM, it is hard to know just how much credit they get for htose games.

Basically their best games, barring Rayman and anno are all done with the help of other game devs.