uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Good news, Ubisoft has promised significant gimmicks.

This will (at least temporary) make the franchises seem legit and fresh as they get undeserved over-media coverage, which inevitably will nose-dive back into the ground as they chase whatever trend is happening and copypasta it.

Don't expect them to stop being greedy motherfuckers, still gonna get your multiple tiered require a graph editions, microtransactions, grind walls and other garbo they helped normalize.

Currently Rayman remains their only franchise untainted and pure, for now. Almost everything else is shit.

Ubisoft is trying to make its games more varied

Mapped out.

You know the joke: all Ubisoft games are the same. That's not entirely true, of course. But it is clear the French mega-publisher has followed a template for its big-budget open world games, established by the early success of Assassin's Creed on the last generation of consoles. And why not? Millions of sales later, it all seemed to be working out. Now though, after a tough 2019, Ubisoft may be ready to shake things up a bit.

According to a new report by Video Games Chronicle, Ubisoft is revamping its influential editorial team, the Paris-based collective that works with all of the development teams to drive design, in a bid to make Ubisoft's output more varied.

This comes after a year in which Ghost Recon Breakpoint and The Division 2 both underperformed and Ubisoft delayed big hitters such as Watch Dogs: Legion and Rainbow Six Quarantine.

In a statement issued to VGC, Ubisoft said:

"We are reinforcing our editorial team to be more agile and better accompany our development teams around the world as they create the best gaming experiences for players."

The news that Ubisoft's new and improved editorial team will try to help make the company's games more varied echoes comments from Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot, who in October 2019 said Breakpoint's underperformance was due to a lack of "differentiation factors", among other things.

Editorial vice presidents will be given more autonomy over the franchises they lead, VGC reported, and can make their own decisions on design. Before, one or two people at the top of editorial would make all the decisions, which is why you'd see similar features across Ubisoft's triple-A lineup.

It sounds like major change is afoot within the walls of Ubisoft, with game cancellations and new direction for key titles put in place in preparation for the launch of the next generation of consoles.

It's doubtful the upcoming - and so far unannounced - next Assassin's Creed will all of a sudden feel significantly different than previous games in the series. But hopefully Ubisoft's big games will be able to take a few more risks from now on.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

A shake up on all of their games would be great. But, will they listen? Only time will tell...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

You know, I've read this, specifically the part where it says editorial direction for all franchises were decided by a single committee in the old system, and that decisions were ultimately made by just one or two people, and it just explains so, so much about Ubisoft. Certainly explains why they've basically been making the same one game repeatedly over the past 13 years.

Don't expect any drastic change in direction any time soon, though. Game development take years, so these creative decisions similar take years to come into fruition.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The prices on their games have gone up considerably since they started selling their games exclusively through their own store. So I expect their games to be a lot better than all competition from now on...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Yeah, they really do need to re-work their template. Give the teams freedom to do things other than climbing fucking viewpoints, in order to unlock the view on the map. It's sad that Ubisoft is pretty much universally responsible for that stupid mechanic.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Ohhh Ubisoft for some reason I don't believe a damn thing you say...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@uninspiredcup: "Ubisoft has promised significant gimmicks"

So they're making VR games now, what a waste.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

This sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it. I have enjoyed some of their games, but I do agree they all started feeling very samey...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Ubisoft were at their best in 6th gen after that it's all down hill and I haven't cared about anything they put out in gen 8.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1230 Posts

Don't particularly care what they do with their cash cows. (Well Far Cry in Vr could be amazing but I won't get my hopes up.)

Just bring back Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. Wouldn't mind seeing a new 3d Rayman either.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

This is the company that promised all new changes with each assassins creed.... Lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

@getyeryayasout: ha! Basically! Im jumping into Katana Zero next... You play it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

A VR classic Rainbow 6 or Ghost Recon game would actually be the tits.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@i_p_daily said:

A VR classic Rainbow 6 or Ghost Recon game would actually be the tits.

I think the word tits has a different meaning here, as tits are a good thing however VR is not.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

They screwed up. Nice to see themselves noticing.

I'm pretty tired of Ubisoft: The Game myself and completely stopped buying their games as a result. Whenever they feel like making another game than the one they've been making since 2007, I'll check it out. Like I did with their fantastic Rayman games.