U still mad at Konami re Kojima???

#1 Edited by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

I ignored the whole drama back then, and still do.

And still buy Konami games.

How about you? Are you still mad at Konami, if you ever were, or are you over it like a real adult?

#2 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1501 posts) -

Konami gave him 80 million dollars to make a game and the product was the above average MGSV. He lost his mind. Mediocre publisher parted with a senile developer. I'm not mad at all.

#3 Edited by KungfuKitten (26556 posts) -

Of course I'm mad. It's not just Kojima and trying to f*** him over after he left, but also the way they treat the other (ex-)employees. And they made Metal Gear Survive.

I'm not expecting people to not support Konami just because I'm mad at them, however.

#4 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6747 posts) -

They killed silent hill. Of course i am mad.

#5 Posted by adsparky (1383 posts) -

The thing with Kojima was just the drop that spilled the glass.

#6 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

I'm pretty sure all big game houses would look bad, if they were examined with same fine toothed comb as Konami and EA have been examined...

They all would have their share of disgruntled ex employees that were allegedly wronged in a big way...

Just saying we should not treat Konami and EA as if they were outside the norm, an evil aberration, if you will.

#7 Edited by KungfuKitten (26556 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

I'm pretty sure all big game houses would look bad, if they were examined with same fine toothed comb as Konami and EA have been examined...

They all would have their share of disgruntled ex employees that were allegedly wronged in a big way...

Just saying we should not treat Konami and EA as if they were outside the norm, an evil aberration, if you will.

True. I think Konami are evil, but they are not necessarily an exception. We should know more about other companies as well.

#8 Posted by Kadin_Kai (445 posts) -

MGSV is a great game but Kojima simply took too long to make it. Obviously the longer the development time means the more expensive it is to make the game.

Consider the development time for other big budget open world games like the Far Cry series is far shorter than MGSV.

Hiring an expensive Hollywood actor like Sutherland was also pointless. I am sure David Hayter (fan favourite) would have been far cheaper.

I question the profit margin of MGSV for Konami. So if anything, Kojima is partly to blame for the cancellation of Silent Hills.

Don’t forget video games are a business.

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (27962 posts) -

Yep. I’m also disappointed with the fact that they don’t really make games too much these days with all the great classic IP’s that they have. I certainly have no problem with buying games from them if they ever put one out that’s good but with the exception of the upcoming Castlevania and Contra collections that’s very few and far between these days.

#10 Posted by Raining51 (1046 posts) -

Konami....

Yeah they make games....

That's honestly all I know, don't really follow the rest of the drama and am not really aware of it... exccept that I don't think this is game related or willa ffect games honestly.

#11 Posted by DaVillain- (36549 posts) -

Konami, EA, Activision, and the list goes on. I'm just so damn sick of drama from gamers to media outcries ya'know, I judge on the game itself and hardly the company's symbol. Was I upset with Komani & Kojima back then? I was, I even said Screw Konami but as times past, Konami isn't the worst then EA & Activision combine to be honest.

#12 Posted by PC_Rocks (2299 posts) -

Of course I'm mad at Konami. They took more than 25 years to fire an egoistic, pretentious crap like Kojima.

#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9811 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

Konami gave him 80 million dollars to make a game and the product was the above average MGSV. He lost his mind. Mediocre publisher parted with a senile developer. I'm not mad at all.

exactly. MGS5 was another victim of open world fisaco. it would have been better as linear stealth game.

#14 Edited by Litchie (23886 posts) -

Not at all. A bit dissapointed they aren't doing Castlevania anymore. Don't care about Kojima or MGS. Not a fan.

#15 Edited by Jag85 (13490 posts) -

Gamers are mad at Konami for a lot of reasons. Firing Kojima was just the tip of the iceberg. Along with leaving MGSV incomplete, they cancelled Silent Hills, stopped Castlevania games, almost killed PES by refusing to renew licenses, turned MGS into a zombie game, turned MGS3 and Castlevania into pachinko machines, etc.

As for Kojima, firing him over MGSV's $80 million budget is a bullshit reason. MGSV sold over 6 million copies, equivalent to well over $300 million gross revenue (despite the game's incompleteness and the backlash against Konami). Even if we take into account marketing and distribution costs, Konami made close to 100% return on investment. And MGSV's development also involved the development of Fox Engine, which Kojima was also using for Silent Hills (before they cancelled it) and Konami used for PES. As a result, PES made a comeback as the best football simulator.

#16 Posted by XVision84 (16038 posts) -

I'm not mad. They killed silent hill, I killed all presence of mind I had for them.

Konami might as well be a toilet paper company.

#17 Posted by Calvincfb (1275 posts) -

Who cares about this? I care about the games, if the games are good, I couldn't give two sh*ts about who is developing them. Unless it's a gamergate developer, then I won't support it.

#18 Posted by me2002 (2170 posts) -

yay for Sony!

#19 Edited by AJStyles (834 posts) -

Not mad at all. Never was.

I only liked MGS from Konami. Not a fan of soccer games. Don’t like castlevania. I did like silent hills 20 years ago, but don’t care for the genre anymore.

As a company, I don’t hate Konami. I just don’t buy their games because they don’t appeal to me.

Sure it sucks MGS is dead, my favourite franchise, but Kojima continues to make games so I am okay with this. Half the team joined him anyway. :)

#20 Posted by Ten_Pints (3796 posts) -

They used him and threw him away like he was nothing to them.

#21 Posted by DoomNukem3D (198 posts) -

Contra > Castlevania > MGS

#22 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8603 posts) -

@ezekiel43: he also made them an engine that they use in every one of the games that still exists in their anemic line up, and mgsv is one of the best games this gen. Don't get it twisted.

They didnt just screw kojima, they trashed entire legacies of multiple game series in pursuit of some short term cash via mobile amd pachinko machines. Castlevania, gradius etc. All gone. The execs are clueless decrepit pieces of shit that have no idea what they're doing.

#23 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8603 posts) -

@calvincfb: konami doesnt make games anymore. They make pachinko machines. Do you think they only killed mgs? They killed all of their game series.

#24 Posted by Sevenizz (3838 posts) -

Not at all. I don’t buy Konami or Kojima games.

#25 Posted by enzyme36 (4194 posts) -

Just bought the Castlvania collection... so I'm back on team Konami

#26 Posted by uninspiredcup (33403 posts) -

Mad bro, real fucking mad.

#27 Posted by Subspecies (507 posts) -

I'm over it, but........being a lifelong SH fan, Silent Hills hurt, dude. It hurt bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
#28 Posted by deactivated-5d0a4c3876874 (180 posts) -

Nah.

1.Konami canceled Silent Hills, the game that didn't even started going into development. So no reason to be mad at this since far more completed and more promising games ended up being canceled by another publishers.

Also Silent Hills is overrated. Anyone that considers it as one of the best horror games of all time has clearly never played a good horror game in his/her life.

2.Metal Gear Survive: It is a Spin Off and no big deal for it since this was Konami's version of RDR:Undead Nightmare expansion that fans took as MGS 6 in disguise.

3.They killed their franchises : Every publisher has dead franchises. Even Capcom that is a HERO of gaming industry has a lot of dead franchises like Final Fight, Darkstalker, Okami , Onimusha , Lost Planet , Dino Crisis etc.

Unfortunately Konami never let go of their old franchises which is why they barely made any new original franchises after ZOE.(On the other hand other publishers always tried to made new franchises to replace the old ones)

4.Getting rid of Kojima: That was his fault. He screwed up a lot in PS3/360 era.

-MGS 4, A project that was a huge mess development wise and after that they were forced to make a PSP sequel to the franchise, sell mgo 2 content as expensive DLCs , and make Fox Engine ( MGS 4 engine was a complete mess that they were forced to make a new graphic engine). And when the graphic engine of MGS 4 was a mess they couldn't just update the engine and make a sequel with it.

Also the direction of the franchise was changed from cutscene focus to gameplay focus due to the failure of that game.

-MGS Peace Walker was also a failure that sold less than Portable Ops.(A Spin Off MGS game)

-MGS:Rising was a huge mismanagement from Kojima. As a producer his job was to ensure the project safety but he failed badly at that and the game went into development hell.(And in the end he had to hire big guns that were Platinum Games to save it)

-When you are making a new graphic engine, your first projects should be a smaller type projects to cover some development costs of the engine.That is why Capcom made a linear first person horror game when they made the RE engine and so far they haven't made an open world game with that.

but Kojima decided to make a overpriced Demo(Ground Zeroes) as Fox Engine's first project which was a last minute decision. (He should have made GZ a full MGS game and after that make Phantom Pain as MGS 6.)

-Another failure project that he worked on was the ZOE HD collection that ended up being a failure due to this that it was 50 percent slower than the PS2 versions.

-Then there was Silent Hills project, a project that he hired a bunch of expensive talents for that.(Norman Redus, That director with hard name)

When you are making a reboot of a franchise that wasn't that popular it is a big mistake.(The most successful Silent Hill game sold 2 million copies)

-Then there is Fox Engine which was a failure imo. This engine had no advantages over other engines and the only reason that it runs well is because it is a engine designed for xbox 360 and PS3.(And so PCs more powerful than those consoles will handle it well similar to the way they handle PS3/360 games well)

So Konami is 100 percent justified for firing him.(They just aren't justified for preventing him getting that useless award)

5.So No I have no reason to hate them. They just decided to focus on their best products and it looks like it's doing well for them(So far they have become more and more successful as a company after leaving AAA games).

I'm pretty sure that Kojima is one of the main reasons they decided to abandon AAA gaming.

#29 Posted by avenger85 (225 posts) -

Metal gear 4 sucked

Metal gear 5 sucked

Kojima has made some amazing games but he isn’t God tier like some people say he is.

On the mother hand Konami has pretty much givin up on gaming and is letting all their IPs just rot and collect dust. I hope one day they hire people to bring back good castlevania and silent hill games again.

#30 Edited by Ant_17 (12456 posts) -

What Konami games? They haven't released a thing since MGSurvive.

#31 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3396 posts) -

I, like most of the world, forgot about Konami in 2009.

#32 Posted by lundy86_4 (53175 posts) -

I'm more mad that Konami has gone to shit. As much as I enjoy the MGS series, I don't put him on the highest pedestal in gaming.

#33 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

I'm mad Metal Gear Survive recycled scenery from MGSV instead of building original game world (based on MGSV). This really made MG Survive feel like cheap ripoff cash in effort.

If it had had original scenery and original 'levels' with current gen graphics, it wouldve been ok game.

As for MGSV, it was utterly brill game, on last gen consoles. When played on current gen, not so impressive...

Still, I'm grateful for Kojima&Konami for giving us Quiet:

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#34 Edited by storm_of_swords (2806 posts) -

I'm mad at Konami, but it has nothing to do with Kojima.

I don't give a crap about Kojima since he just wants to make weird movies more than he does games. I think he's in the wrong business.

I'm mad at Konami because they went from being arguably the best developer in the world during the 80s and early 90s to a garbage developer.

#35 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1501 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

She's awful. Kojima wrote so many better women, like Meryl, Sniper Wolf, Emma, Eva, The Boss... Quiet is such a shitty character.

#36 Edited by lamprey263 (36114 posts) -

I don't care either way, I have liked some of Kojima's games but found MGS4 to be maybe the most boring game ever made so no sympathies on his departure. Hate Konami too though, but only because they refused to patch Silent Hill collection on Xbox 360. They also tried going the western route toward end of series trying to bring in western studios to modernize combat and all that, guess it never occurred to them that not all western studios deliver same results and they went with lowest bidders (I can only assume), what a waste of potential.

#37 Posted by Jag85 (13490 posts) -

Despite screwing-over Kojima and so many of their long-time fans, Konami's profits have actually increased significantly in the last few years. The biggest contributors to their profit margins are PES and Yu-Gi-Oh! It's not surprising that Yu-Gi-Oh is raking in so much cash for them, as it's among the world's biggest media franchises and arguably the biggest trading card game. However, PES is a surprise, since it's getting hammered by FIFA in sales, yet PES is still making a lot of money for Konami. Either way, Konami has Kojima to thank for the the comeback of PES, as it owes much of its recent success to Fox Engine.

#38 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@henrythefifth said:

She's awful. Kojima wrote so many better women, like Meryl, Sniper Wolf, Emma, Eva, The Boss... Quiet is such a shitty character.

Women in the older MGS games are painfully bad and just, rubbish. Quiet was step in the right direction.

#39 Posted by I_P_Daily (11801 posts) -

Gotta love the people who say that Konami used him and spat him out and the like, I mean it's not like Kojima spent millions of the companies money and that he wasn't paid for his work.

Kojima has always been a shit dev with a massive ego problem. Thankfully he's now Sony's problem, lets see how much money he can milk from Sony lol.

#40 Posted by phbz (4435 posts) -

Kojima might be hard to deal with, I personally dislike him, but Konami handle it poorly and just when down from there.