Two-and-a-half years later, Street Fighter 5 gets loot boxes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Capcom just don't give two shits.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-20-two-and-a-half-years-later-street-fighter-5-gets-loot-boxes

Two-and-a-half years later, Street Fighter 5 gets loot boxes

My fight money!

On 25th June Street Fighter 5 gets a big new update - and part of that is the addition of loot boxes.

The loot boxes have to do with Survival Mode and a new system called Fighting Chance. Menat, one of the playable characters, has opened up a shop to tell you your fortune. Spend 500 Fight Money, the in-game currency, and you get a Fantasy Fortune Reading, which Menat helps you decipher. These readings are the loot box: they contain multiple items, including some exclusive to Fighting Chance.

Items include Battle Goods, which increase your chance of completing Survival Mode, new colours only available from Fantasy Fortune Readings, classic pieces of Street Fighter art from across the series, and, to the consternation of the Street Fighter community, rare costumes only available via Fantasy Fortune Readings.

These rare costumes include Cammy's Cannon Spike costume, below. Capcom said it'll add more rare costumes as time goes on.

he items you get in Street Fighter 5's new loot boxes are either cosmetic or limited to Survival Mode, which is single-player only. This means there are no competitive multiplayer gameplay-affecting items to be found in the loot boxes, which is very much a good thing. It's also worth noting you can't buy Fight Money with real world cash, either, so to purchase loot boxes you have to actually play the game. But that hasn't stopped Street Fighter 5 players from hitting out at their addition at a time when loot boxes are under increased scrutiny from government authorities and it appears some publishers are stepping away from loot boxes entirely following last year's Star Wars Battlefront 2 debacle.

Adding loot boxes to Street Fighter 5 now, some two-and-a-half years after the game launched, seems like a curious decision for another reason: the game struggled at launch and has faced an uphill battle ever since to attract new players. Street Fighter 5 needs all the help it can get, and I can't imagine word it now has loot boxes will do much to boost the game's already tarnished reputation - despite the excellent and free Arcade Edition update.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

As long as loot boxes stay away from the SP games, Im fine with it.

And the items are mostly cosmetic, which sucks, we should be able to choose the skins we want.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Booo! **** you, Capcom!

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Picking up some Ibuki. She is a challenge for me but her Shuriken is fun af. My hands are trained for Gief so it is real hard to break some habits.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By enzyme36

@recloud said:

As long as loot boxes stay away from the SP games, Im fine with it.

And the items are mostly cosmetic, which sucks, we should be able to choose the skins we want.

There is literally no advantage in this game they can sell you. There is no gear to equip.... and there is no way they will let you buy a buff for MP matches.

The loot will be colors, costumes, and consumables for the revamped survival mode which is SP only.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I love SFV, but loot boxes are a big issue

I hate randomized rewards. There's no guarantee you're rewarded for your efforts.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

Well, Fight Money is earned pretty easily by playing the game anyway... Street Fighter V is surprisingly the one game that is doing this kind of add-ons right, as nobody is forced to pay a cent more than the base game if they want anything. And by the way, most people that play SF V regularly have a shitload of FM they didn't use yet because there's no characters/stages/costumes left for them to buy, so at least it's something for us to spend the FM that's sitting on our accounts for a while.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enzyme36

@Pikminmaniac said:

I hate randomized rewards. There's no guarantee you're rewarded for your efforts.

FM is a problem too... and this feels just like another draw of your cash. There needs to be better ways to make FM in this game, the 50 per ranked match feels antiquated with all the new systems they added into the game, new ways to strip you of your cash.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts
@enzyme36 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

FM is a problem too... and this feels just like another draw of your cash. There needs to be better ways to make FM in this game, the 50 per ranked match feels antiquated with all the new systems they added into the game, new ways to strip you of your cash.

Yep. SFV launched as Capcoms attempted pyramid scheme, minimum content, GIVE MONEY FUCKO, and they paid dearly.

Which sucks, as the game itself is arguably the best fighting game on the market. And they absolutely improved with arcade edition.

But... Capcom never learn.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rafaelmsoares

@enzyme36 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

Missions often give up to 5000 FM, not to mention Extra Battles that you pay 1000 for a chance to win up to 10000 FM (if you play ranked they aren't even that hard and you can replay them). Not to mention the fact that playing the character missions, demonstrations, survival and other SP modes earn you enough to get 3 to 4 characters.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Is it only me i dont mind free to open lootboxes as long as they have not pay to win items in them and are just implemented as another way to reward the people that putting more effort into the game ( playtime ) ?

Or those lootboxes will need real money to be bought or get opened ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@AzatiS: I think there are better ways to do rewards than loot boxes.

After all, the contents of loot boxes are random and are not scaled to the player's achievement. You could do something really impressive or complete a milestone but get random contents that are all underwhelming. I think a design-by-intent approach works better than loot boxes as a form of reward.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enzyme36

@rafaelmsoares said:
@enzyme36 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

Missions often give up to 5000 FM, not to mention Extra Battles that you pay 1000 for a chance to win up to 10000 FM (if you play ranked they aren't even that hard and you can replay them). Not to mention the fact that playing the character missions, demonstrations, survival and other SP modes earn you enough to get 3 to 4 characters.

I play the missions every week. The golden solider has been out the passed 2 weeks.. but he is still few and far between. Last weekend was nice dont get me wrong... but there have been months where its only 1frame attack bosses with full bars at start that will whip you up and cost you 2500 to fight. OR they throw in the silver soldier and its only exp for a reward... sure you can gamble with a low level character and hope to make some cash off the lvl up but thats it (and not too many low level characters left if you played from launch).

You only get limited cracks at the golden solider and he costs money to fight... if you lose to his cheese mechanics you lose the buy in money and feel robbed.

Also they got rid of all FM rewards for the single player content. Demos, survival, trial, story all no longer give FM rewards.

All mission rewards were halved when AE came out. And if you do them each week you will make just enough to buy into the extra battle system.

FM from winning online matches is the only consistent way of making cash... and 50 is beans.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rafaelmsoares

@enzyme36 said:

Also they got rid of all FM rewards for the single player content. Demos, survival, trial, story all no longer give FM rewards.

Really? I didn't know that, as I had already completed everything previously... really shitty of capcom to do this then.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

So... just as the industry (most of it anyway) is starting to withdraw from loot boxes, back to upfront purchases as the lesser of monetization evils; from pressure by the community, media PR backlash, and even the looming threat of government intervention.... NOW is when Capcom decides to implement it???

What were they thinking? "Ahhhh, our strategy of patience to wait for the optimal time to enter the gaming gambling stage paid off. All those other fools are leaving it for US to take over that gold mine!! We'll be lining our mattresses with $100 bills now, mwa-hahahahahahahaha...."

OK Capcom, let me know how that works out. ?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I honestly don't understand the outrage here.

Capcom is introducing random cosmetic rewards for playing the game. You can't purchase them with real money, and they don't impact the gameplay in any way.

These are just random unlockable costumes. It's like unlocking new characters/levels/trophies/items in Smash Bros. Why are people going for Capcom's throat about this?