Twisted metal uses Warhawk's engine?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

So watching the Twisted Metal footage and knowing the history of Eat, Sleep, Play I got to thinking that maybe, just maybe that the game might be running on a version of the engine that powered Warhawk. Eat, Sleep, Play was founded by Jaffe and scott Campbell back in 2007, while Warhawk was still in development and they took many members of Incognito with them. Incognito made Warhawk and the old twisted metal games. Basically, half incognito left to form ESP while they were still working on Warhawk (rumor even has it that Incognito only had 6-8 staffers when the game shipped). you'd think that they'd take the tech they made when creating Warhawk over to work on Twisted metal. Having played Warhawk for 100s of hours and seeing TM, I can't help but think the game is running off the same engine or an updated version of that engine. Warhawk is an early ps3 game and not really a graphical powerhouse (aside from huge draw distances) and ppl are complaining about Twisted Metal's graphics. Well duh, its warhawk's engine.

#2 Posted by 0rin (7179 posts) -

So watching the Twisted Metal footage and knowing the history of Eat, Sleep, Play I got to thinking that maybe, just maybe that the game might be running on a version of the engine that powered Warhawk. Eat, Sleep, Play was founded by Jaffe and scott Campbell back in 2007, while Warhawk was still in development and they took many members of Incognito with them. Incognito made Warhawk and the old twisted metal games. Basically, half incognito left to form ESP while they were still working on Warhawk (rumor even has it that Incognito only had 6-8 staffers when the game shipped). you'd think that they'd take the tech they made when creating Warhawk over to work on Twisted metal. Having played Warhawk for 100s of hours and seeing TM, I can't help but think the game is running off the same engine or an updated version of that engine. Warhawk is an early ps3 game and not really a graphical powerhouse (aside from huge draw distances) and ppl are complaining about Twisted Metal's graphics. Well duh, its warhawk's engine.

jyoung312
Interesting thought there.i don't know how accurate it is, considering it's based off your opinion, but.. it sounds logical.
#3 Posted by 88mphSlayer (3201 posts) -

that would make sense, Warhawk had a great engine - huge scale, great framerate, lots of stuff going on (maps with 32 players, etc.)

i don't get people complaining about the graphics in Twisted Metal... ya know the whole thing of "what is your intention?"

what do you intend to bring to Twisted Metal by potentially making the game smaller for the sake of a minor graphics improvement?

#4 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -

that would make sense, Warhawk had a great engine - huge scale, great framerate, lots of stuff going on (maps with 32 players, etc.)

i don't get people complaining about the graphics in Twisted Metal... ya know the whole thing of "what is your intention?"

what do you intend to bring to Twisted Metal by potentially making the game smaller for the sake of a minor graphics improvement?

88mphSlayer
Not only that but Twisted Metal really wasn't know for its powerhouse graphics, people these days are getting spoiled I think putting graphics over the actual game.
#5 Posted by akira2465 (1194 posts) -

Isn't TM releasing next year? they do have a little bit of time to polish things up . They have to figure out the gameplay first which they seem to have going for them. Gameplay first, Polish second

#6 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Yeah I think you are right. Looking at them they look VERY similar

#7 Posted by siddhu33 (3264 posts) -

88mphSlayer

The same reason why people complain about the graphics in Crackdown.....

They are thick.

#8 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

Yeah I think you are right. Looking at them they look VERY similar

VendettaRed07
Yeah I was just putting together what I knew of the developers and the look of the games
#9 Posted by slipkill89 (1133 posts) -

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

siddhu33

The same reason why people complain about the graphics in Crackdown.....

They are thick.

Hey man I just want to comment on your sig, it's awesome!

About the graphics though I wouldn't mind(and I'm sure a lot of other people won't either) if the they looked sharped. Twisted Metal has always been about the gameplay and that's what most matters though.

#10 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

so I went to the forums of Eat, Sleep, play and it is confirmed. Twisted Metal uses Warhawk's engine.

#11 Posted by lil_zelda_dude (1291 posts) -

so I went to the forums of Eat, Sleep, play and it is confirmed. Twisted Metal uses Warhawk's engine.

jyoung312
No
#12 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
It might be "based" on the warhawk engine. God of war 3 is based on the God of War 2 engine and look how great they pulled it off.
#13 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

jyoung312

you got proof? thats the first thing you should have brought here anyway.

#14 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

[QUOTE="jyoung312"]

razgriz_101

you got proof? thats the first thing you should have brought here anyway.

Nevermind it just looks like they are speculating there's no confirmation. a lot of other followers are saying the same thing about the game likely be built from some part of the warhawk engine.
#15 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

confirmed straight from mouth of Campbell after 0:16 mark of this video. started with warhawk engine and rebuilt

#16 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

That would be really great. Warhawk looked good, and I'm guessing if TM used the same engine it would look better since the maps wouldn't be as large. Additionally, Warhawk is one of three games I've played this gen that just doesn't have noticeable lag online. So, for online play, I would prefer them to use an engine that has been proven to work well online.

#17 Posted by jyoung312 (4971 posts) -

All this talk of Warhawk makes me sad that they didn't announce Starhawk. We are waiting Sony. just give us a teaser

#18 Posted by Shad0ki11 (12576 posts) -

They do use the same engine.