TV wars? QLED vs OLED

#251 Posted by mtron32 (3875 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Where my micro-LEDs at!?

Thats what I'll wait on, I bought a 65 inch Bravia x900F for 1100 this week and regret nothing. I went to the store and looked at TVs for a good 30 minutes and while OLEDs are nice, they aren't nice enough for me to part with an additional 1500. Never buy top of the line in any tech and never be an early adopter is rules to live by ;)

#252 Posted by EG101 (1926 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:
@Shewgenja said:

My parents got a Sony A8F on Black Friday. Damn, that is a nice picture! I also got to see the A9F and almost jumped, but I think I honestly do want a fully 2.1 set after all with the higher framerates and frame sync support. PS5 and maybe Scarlet would be best with a set with those features. Here's to me waiting yet another year...

Nah XB1X works fine with Samsung's current QLED TV's that have Variable Refresh. No need to wait for Next Gen.

Yeah and it's useless in most games as they are 30fps which is below the freesync range in those...

Would you please provide a link to your statement. Link should be based on XB1X and QLED TV with VRR.

Thanks ahead of time.

#253 Posted by Howmakewood (5653 posts) -
@EG101 said:
@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:
@Shewgenja said:

My parents got a Sony A8F on Black Friday. Damn, that is a nice picture! I also got to see the A9F and almost jumped, but I think I honestly do want a fully 2.1 set after all with the higher framerates and frame sync support. PS5 and maybe Scarlet would be best with a set with those features. Here's to me waiting yet another year...

Nah XB1X works fine with Samsung's current QLED TV's that have Variable Refresh. No need to wait for Next Gen.

Yeah and it's useless in most games as they are 30fps which is below the freesync range in those...

Would you please provide a link to your statement. Link should be based on XB1X and QLED TV with VRR.

Thanks ahead of time.

sauce

In response to a query, an AMD spokesperson clarified the frame rate ranges that support FreeSync on the Samsung TVs. “There are two settings available under Game Mode. At 1080p, the “Ultimate” setting has a range of 48-120Hz, and “Basic” supports 90-120Hz. In 4K, the range is 48-60Hz.” With such a high low-end FPS requirement, the technology should be most successful with games capable of running at 60fps.

#254 Edited by EG101 (1926 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:
@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:

Thanks ahead of time.

sauce

In response to a query, an AMD spokesperson clarified the frame rate ranges that support FreeSync on the Samsung TVs. “There are two settings available under Game Mode. At 1080p, the “Ultimate” setting has a range of 48-120Hz, and “Basic” supports 90-120Hz. In 4K, the range is 48-60Hz.” With such a high low-end FPS requirement, the technology should be most successful with games capable of running at 60fps.

Thank you.

Sure makes VRR on consoles a little over hyped since it doesn't support anything under 48 hz but at least it is useable by a handful of 60fps games like COD and Battle Field.

#255 Posted by Howmakewood (5653 posts) -
@EG101 said:
@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:
@howmakewood said:
@EG101 said:

Thanks ahead of time.

sauce

Thank you.

Sure makes VRR on consoles a little over hyped since it doesn't support anything under 48 hz but at least it is useable by a handful of 60fps games like COD and Battle Field.

should be better with the new hdmi revision where its vesa standard, hence why people are saying they are waiting for next gen tv's

#256 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWX9Hluieb4

#257 Posted by Phreek300 (635 posts) -

I don't even see why this is still a debate... OLED is far and away superior. I bought a QLED at 1st. I took it back, that OLED got me. I can not ever go back. If you have the means and do not keep static images on your screen for hours at a time you will be fine. All the reasons an OLED is superior have all been mentioned. I bought the B6 a few years back. No regerts baby!

#258 Posted by N64DD (11382 posts) -

@Phreek300 said:

I don't even see why this is still a debate... OLED is far and away superior. I bought a QLED at 1st. I took it back, that OLED got me. I can not ever go back. If you have the means and do not keep static images on your screen for hours at a time you will be fine. All the reasons an OLED is superior have all been mentioned. I bought the B6 a few years back. No regerts baby!

How big you get?

#259 Posted by Phreek300 (635 posts) -

@n64dd: 55 inch was all I needed at the time. I got it for 1600.00 on sale at best buy. I should have bought the 65 inch. Hindsight is 20/20.

#261 Posted by General_Solo76 (522 posts) -

@artillery77: That Quantum Apotheosis guy is a Qled shill and a retard

#262 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@general_solo76: lol no he's not. Dude owned his first Qled like 2 months ago. He's preferred Sony TV's up to this point. He calls out all the other real shills like rtings. You're just a salty Oled fanboy I'm sure! he digs all company's including Sonyand Samsung.

#263 Posted by General_Solo76 (522 posts) -

@artillery77: you should’ve seen his old channel. The guy couldn’t calibrate a tv to save his life! Sharpness and color cranked up so high that everyone looked like Oompa Loompas’ with terrible halo artifacting, yet claims to be a professional ........he’s a laughing stock lol

#264 Posted by artillery77 (63 posts) -

@general_solo76: his qled settings are top notch! just another oled fanboy hater. dudes been attacked over and over for exposing real corporate shills. which is why he lost his first channel actually. stay deluded fanboy!

#265 Edited by General_Solo76 (522 posts) -

If you like Qled, that’s great, but honestly that guy is a joke. He’s more of a conspiracy theorist than a knowledgeable tv calibrator. It’s just sad that him and his followers haven’t figured that out yet.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#266 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2665 posts) -

So here is a honest question. I am buying a large TV for my home theater. The Samsung 82" Q8 has my eye. There is also a Sony 85" that is very comparable. For price reasons, OLED is out of the question at this size. Who wins, the Samsung Q8 or the Sony 900F?

#267 Posted by General_Solo76 (522 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: I would go for the Sony myself, but if you’re looking to go big, then why not just get a projector, screen, and surround sound system?

#268 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1068 posts) -

@mtron32 said:
@pyro1245 said:

Where my micro-LEDs at!?

Thats what I'll wait on, I bought a 65 inch Bravia x900F for 1100 this week and regret nothing. I went to the store and looked at TVs for a good 30 minutes and while OLEDs are nice, they aren't nice enough for me to part with an additional 1500. Never buy top of the line in any tech and never be an early adopter is rules to live by ;)

Yeah, I'm continually impressed by my 65 inch Bravia X900E (last year's model). I don't see myself ever spending that much on a TV. Someone on another forum told me that HDR is pointless if it's not OLED/QLED, but those people are full of shit. I've never seen vibrant colors like this on previous displays. I had to take my brother out of his room two weeks ago just to show him some red leaves in God of War (2018).

#269 Posted by N64DD (11382 posts) -

@ezekiel43: HDR is a game changer. I heard that Sony set is top notch.

#270 Posted by sukraj (27851 posts) -

im digging my E8 OLED TV the PQ is amazing when viewing blu ray and 4K CONTENT

#271 Posted by N64DD (11382 posts) -

@sukraj: What size?

#272 Posted by sukraj (27851 posts) -

@n64dd said:

55"

#273 Posted by sukraj (27851 posts) -

@n64dd said:

what type of TV do you own mate

#274 Posted by N64DD (11382 posts) -

@sukraj: lg b64p i believe? 65 inch oled

Avatar image for deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978
#275 Posted by deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978 (45 posts) -
@n64dd said:

X900F? Picture is awesome. Everything else not so much.

#276 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1068 posts) -

@sn0man said:
@n64dd said:

The X900E, but pretty much the same I assume. What do you need from a TV other than picture?

#277 Posted by deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978 (45 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:
@sn0man said:
@n64dd said:

The X900E, but pretty much the same I assume. What do you need from a TV other than picture?

Well, when half the selling point of the device is its allegedly blazing fast processor and android TV, it's good when it actually performs fast (it doesn't, not really) and when the much touted android TV apps work as expected. Also a bit of a head scratcher to find out that only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports are 4K - you'd expect them all to be 4K on a 4K TV.

I bought mine a week ago. I love the picture. Everything else is pretty disappointing.

#278 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1068 posts) -

@sn0man said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@sn0man said:
@n64dd said:

Well, when half the selling point of the device is its allegedly blazing fast processor and android TV, it's good when it actually performs fast (it doesn't, not really) and when the much touted android TV apps work as expected. Also a bit of a head scratcher to find out that only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports are 4K - you'd expect them all to be 4K on a 4K TV.

I bought mine a week ago. I love the picture. Everything else is pretty disappointing.

Oh. That sucks. Sorry.

Two 4K HDMI ports probably kept costs down. I'm fine with it. I only really need one HDMI port. The 4K receiver does the rest. I find the receiver essential, since TV speakers always suck anyway.

I used Netflix on there for maybe two months. I found it okay. Didn't seek very fast, but Netflix is always sluggish in my experience. I prefer discs. Better quality and more to choose from.

But that's just me.

Half the selling point? Looking at the website, most of what's advertised seems to be the picture.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900f-series

#279 Edited by deactivated-5c38b6bb4b978 (45 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Try Netflix/Prime/Crave on a 4K Fire TV stick. Very fast. I find i'm using that more than the android TV apps on the Sony which feel quite unresponsive.

Can't remember the last time I plugged in a Blu Ray! I'm interested now to see if the 4K screen improves the image quality noticeably at all over the 1080p plasma I just retired.

#280 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1068 posts) -

@sn0man said:

Can't remember the last time I plugged in a Blu Ray! I'm interested now to see if the 4K screen improves the image quality noticeably at all over the 1080p plasma I just retired.

It won't improve the clarity. I do notice an obvious difference in color vibrancy between my IPS monitor (MX27AQ) and this HDR TV, though. Even when I'm watching non-HDR movies. Everything looks more luscious, without appearing saturated. I wouldn't know how it compares to Plasmas. The last TV I had prior to this was an SD tube TV, eleven years ago. But I know IPS panels typically look a lot better than TN panels.

#281 Edited by Wasdie (53590 posts) -

I recently purchased an LG OLED65B8PUA which is a 65" 4k HDR OLED TV and I have to say it's pretty amazing.

The thing I don't think people get about OLEDs is they have the truest and most natural colors, and when they are calibrated properly, they are usually not as vibrant as you'll see in the store. Store displays are always more vibrant since people are drawn into eye-popping colors, but that's not necessarily what you're looking for when it comes to imagine quality. You can always amp up the saturation on a OLED and do a lot of color balance tuning if you want, but that's really not the point.

I love my TV. I've got it calibrated pretty well based on rtings.com recommendations (I haven't actually run a real calibration package on it yet because I'm lazing) and it's still just an amazing display.

As for OLED vs. QLED, QLED has two very distinct advantages. QLED is cheaper and gets way brighter. The actual color and picture quality differences are minimal too. They are great sets. QLED is generally better for a bright room and fits budgets better to get like 95% of the same image quality.

For OLED, image burn in isn't an issue outside of commercial situations and very niche TV uses (like using it as a static display for something). You'll get burn in if you run a 24/7 news network or ESPN 24 hours a day. The average user won't have to worry about that. But for a commercial situation, who's buying OLED? It's too expensive for that.

#282 Edited by Epak_ (10532 posts) -

Ended up ordering a 75" Q9F, gonna replace my 65" KS7005 with it, which I'm planning on using as a gigantic PC monitor. Can't friggin' wait!

Edit: It's HERE!

Edit2: Sorry for the mess lol. Some DSE on the new TV, can be seen in lighter content when the picture is panning, got 50 days to decide if it bothers me that much. On the other hand I can now watch stuff in the dark, unlike on the older KS7005.

#283 Posted by chriscoolguy (683 posts) -

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I game a lot so I didn't want to take a chance on burn in. Rting's did a 1 year test with Oled and just released the results. Some of them had permanent burn in, some didn't. I didn't want to take the change. I got the Vizio PQ65 Quantum Dots and love it.

#284 Posted by X_Karen_x (367 posts) -

Oled it a nice display. It not face the problem of lcd. It not the blacks which is problem, it the backlight array. Once you reach certain size for lcd tv, backlight become more apparent. IMO over 50in is when you start considering projector instead. Over 50 mean you likely to have room for nice speaker placement which mean also likely room can be set up for nice theater type setup too

#285 Edited by FinalFighters (3041 posts) -

i was going to get the samsung 55Q8F but then i read samsung doesnt support Dolby Vision so i changed my mind..Sorry, but if im spending close to 2k on a TV it better support ALL video formats

Then i wanted to get the Vizio PQ series but they dont make them in 55" (65" is way to big for my room) >_>

so its right now im looking at the X900F

#286 Posted by FinalFighters (3041 posts) -

@chriscoolguy said:

I game a lot so I didn't want to take a chance on burn in. Rting's did a 1 year test with Oled and just released the results. Some of them had permanent burn in, some didn't. I didn't want to take the change.

Thats why you buy a 2-5 year warranty plan; so if that does happen you can always exchange it or get something else.

#287 Posted by Epak_ (10532 posts) -

@FinalFighters: Does the warranty cover burn-in though, it hasn't in the past from what I've read.

#288 Posted by FinalFighters (3041 posts) -
@Epak_ said:

@FinalFighters: Does the warranty cover burn-in though, it hasn't in the past from what I've read.

Yeah, well Best buy does for certain. Dont know about any other retailers

#289 Posted by chriscoolguy (683 posts) -

@FinalFighters:

They don't cover screen burn in.

#290 Posted by Epak_ (10532 posts) -

@FinalFighters: Yeah so it seems, glad some stores are ready to cover that. Doubt we have any of them here in Finland.

#291 Posted by N64DD (11382 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:
@Epak_ said:

I just bought an extended warranty that covered mine for 4 years and covered burn in. :D

#292 Posted by FinalFighters (3041 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@FinalFighters said:
@Epak_ said:

I just bought an extended warranty that covered mine for 4 years and covered burn in. :D

Nice

This is why i get all my electronics (with warranty's) at Best Buy. their warranty covers everything and anything.

#293 Edited by Epak_ (10532 posts) -

Have had the TV for a week now, been working most of that time :( DSE aside pretty impressive TV, from what I've read FALD TV's suffer from it more than edge lit models do. The blacks are really impressive for a LCD, even for night time viewing, the 480 dimming zones do a pretty good job, a huge improvement over the KS7005 (KS8000 in USA). The highlights this set can push look pretty damn great too, this year's Q900 is supposed to be even brighter (there's always a better model coming lol), which is only a good thing when viewing HDR material. This set is only 10" bigger than my last TV, but the difference is still noticeable and I couldn't set this TV up without help, unlike the 65" model.