TV wars? QLED vs OLED

#101 Edited by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@speedytimsi said:

I have an OLED and the only problem i have is the small input lag when it comes to gaming. I am pretty sure the newer models have improved significantly so it really depends. Plus with the next generation of consoles/PC i would wait and see what they are gonna pump out.

Which one do you have?

Also anybody have advice on wall mounts?

#102 Edited by locus-solus (1076 posts) -

micro led seems like a cool technology that could be superior to oled? perfect blacks, brighter nits, no burn-in, no degeneration in colour over time. pair this with g-sync or variable refresh rate and would be a near perfect gaming display for me assuming input lag reasonable.

mled years aways probably, might pick up a nvidia bfgd later this year. want a hdr display for my computer and ps4 pro

#103 Posted by GioVela2010 (5566 posts) -

@locus-solus said:

micro led seems like a cool technology that could be superior to oled? perfect blacks, brighter nits, no burn-in, no degeneration in colour over time. pair this with g-sync or variable refresh rate and would be a near perfect gaming display for me assuming input lag reasonable.

mled years aways probably, might pick up a nvidia bfgd later this year. want a hdr display for my computer and ps4 pro

Why pay a gsync tax, HDMI 2.1/Freesync 2 is going to force Nvidias hand to either make Gsync royalty free, or just add Freesync functionality to their GPU’s

#104 Posted by Howmakewood (5529 posts) -
@GioVela2010 said:
@locus-solus said:

Why pay a gsync tax, HDMI 2.1/Freesync 2 is going to force Nvidias hand to either make Gsync royalty free, or just add Freesync functionality to their GPU’s

you pay gsync tax because amd does not have the gpu's

#105 Edited by locus-solus (1076 posts) -
@GioVela2010 said:
@locus-solus said:

Wouldn't have a problem getting something with hdmi 2.1 freesync vvr but not sure when they're going to come out.

My only concern with hdmi 2.1 vvr is how nvidia will to react to it. nvidia's not the most consumer friendly they could decide not to enable vvr. nvidia controls most of the gaming gpu market and has no competition in the high end, if it doesn't hurt their sales I could see nvidia still forcing you to get they priority technology. now if amd starts gaining market share nvidia will likely enable it.

If my worst fear comes true the only thing I could see forcing Nvidia to finally enable vvr is when next gen console come out in 2020/2021. it would make nvidia look bad if consoles can do vvr but not their gpu's and I can guarantee they will lose potential shares.

Not saying this is going to happen only that it could.

#106 Posted by speedytimsi (714 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@speedytimsi said:

I have an OLED and the only problem i have is the small input lag when it comes to gaming. I am pretty sure the newer models have improved significantly so it really depends. Plus with the next generation of consoles/PC i would wait and see what they are gonna pump out.

Which one do you have?

LG OLED 55B6P - The newer version C7P has fixed the problem somewhat...

#107 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@speedytimsi said:
@n64dd said:
@speedytimsi said:

Which one do you have?

LG OLED 55B6P - The newer version C7P has fixed the problem somewhat...

Ah, I ordered the LG OLED 65B7P

#108 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (4461 posts) -
@blackhairedhero said:

I just bought a 65 inch Sony A8f and i love it. It makes games look beautiful.

I also recently got this bad boy, one of the best TVs I've ever owned.

as for the image retention/burn in, I've had 0 issues thus far, and this TV is on all day when I'm home, have gamed countless hours with it, especially with games w/HUD setups.

I've only heard of major burn in issues with LG.

#109 Posted by Gdourado07 (150 posts) -

I believe the problem with the oled is that because they are organic, they have a life expectancy and degrade with usage.

I think lg themselves say that at the 100000 hours, the oled has reached they mid point, which means that the pixels can only output half the brightness they could when new.

This is mainly what puts me of oled currently.

They do look fantastic and I've seen them side by side with the best leds and they have a better image.

But as soon as you buy one and start using it, it is degrading.

So it may look better when new, but then in a couple of years not so much...

But then again, who cares? Nowadays tech is totally a discarded item.

#110 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@blackhairedhero said:

as for the image retention/burn in, I've had 0 issues thus far, and this TV is on all day when I'm home, have gamed countless hours with it, especially with games w/HUD setups.

Sony uses LG's OLED screens so it's issue for both. It's honestly a non-issue though.

#111 Posted by Epak_ (10461 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@blackhairedhero said:

Sony uses LG's OLED screens so it's issue for both. It's honestly a non-issue though.

You got it? You blown away yet? :D

#112 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@Epak_ said:
@n64dd said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@blackhairedhero said:

I wanted to wait until I had some time with the TV. Out ***KING standing. Love it. 4k blu rays with HDR are amazing. Dolby Vision is fantastic. You should see the way Ori and the Blind Forest looks on this thing.

Go OLED all the way.

#113 Posted by Epak_ (10461 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Epak_ said:
@n64dd said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@blackhairedhero said:

I wanted to wait until I had some time with the TV. Out ***KING standing. Love it. 4k blu rays with HDR are amazing. Dolby Vision is fantastic. You should see the way Ori and the Blind Forest looks on this thing.

Go OLED all the way.

Nice man, enjoy!

#114 Edited by dan_mimmsie (84 posts) -

I think they both have there pros and con I still don't get why people say oled is better considering u got freesync with Qled. And it's not that oled produces better black and Qled brings colours 2 life as it produces more vivid and brighter colours

#115 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@dan_mimmsie said:

I think they both have there pros and con I still don't get why people say oled is better considering u got freesync with Qled. And it's not that oled produces better black and Qled brings colours 2 life as it produces more vivid and brighter colours

OLED has better blacks because of the way it's designed. No getting around it.

#116 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

For those with the B7 (tv I got), here is a great calibration guide. If you have a TV and know of a guide I'll update the OP to have guides and useful information!

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled/settings

#117 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@n64dd said:

I am looking at getting a new tv either OLED or QLED. I know OLED has better overall picture quality, but I heard there are burn in issues with OLEDS? Anybody have any experience with this?

Do not buy an OLED, they have decent quality but they have a tendency to burn in and if you plan to use it for gaming, then stay far far away from an OLED.

#118 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

I am looking at getting a new tv either OLED or QLED. I know OLED has better overall picture quality, but I heard there are burn in issues with OLEDS? Anybody have any experience with this?

Do not buy an OLED, they have decent quality but they have a tendency to burn in and if you plan to use it for gaming, then stay far far away from an OLED.

Burn in is only in extreme cases. If you're using it as a PC monitor, don't get one, if not you're good.

#119 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Burn in is only in extreme cases. If you're using it as a PC monitor, don't get one, if not you're good.

Not just extreme cases, there is a reason why the tv has built-in "turn off" and warnings.

OLED´s are good but they are not worth the hassles, I bought an LG W8 and the quality does not negate the hassles.

Especially not if you plan to use it for console gaming, the chances of a burn-in is high as f...

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know/

But I notice the thread is abit old, so what did you end up buying?

#120 Edited by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Not just extreme cases, there is a reason why the tv has built-in "turn off" and warnings.

OLED´s are good but they are not worth the hassles, I bought an LG W8 and the quality does not negate the hassles.

Especially not if you plan to use it for console gaming, the chances of a burn-in is high as f...

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know/

But I notice the thread is abit old, so what did you end up buying?

I posted in this thread what I bought ;P

Also, mostly what you're talking about is image retention, not burn in.

#121 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@n64dd: LOL doh :)

guess i should read back but Grats on the new tv.

#122 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@n64dd: LOL doh :)

guess i should read back but Grats on the new tv.

Thanks man!

#123 Posted by dxmcat (2467 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Yup. Sold my LED and looking into getting a QLED. Use my PC on it as well as movies & tv.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#124 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2343 posts) -

@dxmcat: Qled is just Led.

If your LED is 4khdr i wouldn't bother.

#125 Posted by dxmcat (2467 posts) -
@blackhairedhero said:

@dxmcat: Qled is just Led.

If your LED is 4khdr i wouldn't bother.

the question is, are YOU 4khdr.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#126 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2343 posts) -

@dxmcat: im 16k ultra HDR!

#127 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@blackhairedhero said:

Samsung announced an 8k tv, and a 149 inch i think? modular micro LED.

#128 Posted by dxmcat (2467 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@blackhairedhero said:

I'm pretty content with 4k on 50"-55" at 3-4' viewing distance. Completely affordable and can see the difference.

8k we're definitely talking 100" or more. Has never been affordable and wont be for a hhhhhhhwhile.

:P

#129 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@dxmcat said:
@n64dd said:
@blackhairedhero said:

I'm pretty content with 4k on 50"-55" at 3-4' viewing distance. Completely affordable and can see the difference.

8k we're definitely talking 100" or more. Has never been affordable and wont be for a hhhhhhhwhile.

:P

If the content was out there, and it was cheap, you'd get it :P

#130 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

Horizon in full HDR on OLED on a ps4 pro is a sight to see!

#132 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

Getting awfully tempted at this price. The wait for HDMI 2.1 is killing me lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-oled-a1e-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5770942.p?skuId=5770942

#133 Posted by SecretPolice (34153 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-oled-a1e-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5770942.p?skuId=5770942

Yikes, I got some sticker shock there. Didn't expect 10K and that's the sale price down from 13K. lol

Thanks for posting though, impressive but no sale here. I hope to find something great by the end of the year for 4-5K or less.

#134 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@Shewgenja said:

Yikes, I got some sticker shock there. Didn't expect 10K and that's the sale price down from 13K. lol

Thanks for posting though, impressive but no sale here. I hope to find something great by the end of the year for 4-5K or less.

Ironically, that 3k in savings would easily account for what I will spend on a new receiver for the entertainment center upgrade... But then, what would be the point since the A1E only has ARC support rather than eARC? Hoping the A2E or whatever they call it has a friendlier sticker at launch.

#135 Posted by Chutebox (44055 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

Projectors not an option? I've been looking at the positives and negatives and it seems if your viewing area doesn't have too much light coming in they can be a good choice.

that being said, I can just picture my wife's reaction to me coming home with a 10k tv haha.

#136 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@Chutebox said:
@Shewgenja said:

Projectors not an option? I've been looking at the positives and negatives and it seems if your viewing area doesn't have too much light coming in they can be a good choice.

that being said, I can just picture my wife's reaction to me coming home with a 10k tv haha.

Even a high end projector just will not match the contrast of even a mid grade lcd panel these days. Projectors are great at doing what they do, but in terms of high quality picture, that is the wrong tech.

As for my TV budget, apparently, people thought it was a great idea to give guys like me a big ass tax cut. Cut and run on the lion's share of my stocks when the Dow peaked above 25k again and the capital gains taxes are almost nonexistant.

#137 Posted by babyjoker1221 (1255 posts) -

Had an offer from the in laws, and need some advise asap.

Vizio M65-F0 only a few months old. They decided to move it, and somehow the panel got a crack in it. A TV repair guy told them that it could be fixed for around $150. Anyone ever had any experience with this kinda thing? I would think it would cost way more than that to fix, but I'm not an expert.

#138 Posted by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

@babyjoker1221 said:

Had an offer from the in laws, and need some advise asap.

Vizio M65-F0 only a few months old. They decided to move it, and somehow the panel got a crack in it. A TV repair guy told them that it could be fixed for around $150. Anyone ever had any experience with this kinda thing? I would think it would cost way more than that to fix, but I'm not an expert.

Get a couple of quotes to ballpark it, but depending on the damage (and my superior Googling skills), that could be about right.

#139 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

That TV is a beast! Did you end up taking the plunge or are you still waiting?

#140 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:

Decided to wait. If I'm rebuilding the entertainment centre, it's going to be done right.

#141 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:

Decided to wait. If I'm rebuilding the entertainment centre, it's going to be done right.

Did you see the new Sony Oleds being released?

#142 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@n64dd: Yeah. They all literally use the same processor as the A1 for the 2018 models. So, there doesnt seem to be much of a reason to go for them over the A1E. Are you talking about 2019 models?

#143 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

@n64dd: Yeah. They all literally use the same processor as the A1 for the 2018 models. So, there doesnt seem to be much of a reason to go for them over the A1E. Are you talking about 2019 models?

The Master Series. A9F OLED and Z9F LED-LCD.

#144 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@n64dd: hnnnnnnng! I love how the television can act as a center channel like a true home theatre! That is my shit! Can't find what the hdmi spec on it is, but it would be a criminal shame for a tv that capable to be relegated to 5.1 at max.

Update: It will not have HDMI 2.1 but it will have eARC support, somehow. So, the only thing it is missing on my punch list is variable refresh. It's looking like I found my tv dude! A9F it is!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/08/02/sony-a9f-oled-tv-first-impressions/#523a89d1827f

Yeah. This is gonna be my TV.

#145 Posted by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@n64dd: hnnnnnnng! I love how the television can act as a center channel like a true home theatre! That is my shit! Can't find what the hdmi spec on it is, but it would be a criminal shame for a tv that capable to be relegated to 5.1 at max.

Update: It will not have HDMI 2.1 but it will have eARC support, somehow. So, the only thing it is missing on my punch list is variable refresh. It's looking like I found my tv dude! A9F it is!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/08/02/sony-a9f-oled-tv-first-impressions/#523a89d1827f

Yeah. This is gonna be my TV.

You're welcome for the find. Any news on price?

#146 Edited by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@n64dd: The original leak in May suggested that the 55 inch model would start at 2800. Bit steep, but that was months ago.

I am gunning for 65 or bigger.

#147 Edited by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

How is Sony's quality nowadays? This year i'm going OLED in my bedroom and QLED in my living room.

#148 Edited by N64DD (11185 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

How is Sony's quality nowadays? This year i'm going OLED in my bedroom and QLED in my living room.

Sony's are nice, but I think they use the LG panels? i'm not sure. @Shewgenja Could probably answer better.

#149 Posted by Shewgenja (20818 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Their newest high end OLED line is outperforming LG in terms of picture accuracy. LG still outputs brighter nits, though. If you prefer scenes free of crushed blacks, though, Sony is holding the crown when the A9F drops. Also, with eARC support, they are the way to go if you have anything past a 5.1 theatre setup.

#150 Posted by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

@Shewgenja: Nice. I'll probably go Sony on my OLED in that case. My bedroom is relatively dark due to having a smaller window, but my LR is stupid bright.

@n64dd:Thanks.