TV wars? QLED vs OLED

#1 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

I am looking at getting a new tv either OLED or QLED. I know OLED has better overall picture quality, but I heard there are burn in issues with OLEDS? Anybody have any experience with this?

#2 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

QLED if you plan on using your TV as a monitor. OLED if you want the highest picture quality and a room without direct sunlight that will degrade the panel.

Burn-in is WAY overhyped with OLEDs. You can generally pull up a Youtube of an RGB sequence to reset pixels in less than a minute. Sunlight and heat also cause wear to the organic compounds. Your average console gamer shouldn't have to give an eff. However, if you're going to leave a browser open all the time or icons on your desktop via connection to PC it does warrant some concern.

#3 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

QLED if you plan on using your TV as a monitor. OLED if you want the highest picture quality and a room without direct sunlight that will degrade the panel.

Mainly using for 4k blu rays and such, and playing consoles.

#4 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:

OLED, then. Added some clarification to my previous post.

#5 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:

OLED, then.

Awesome. It'll be out of direct sunlight for sure. I was looking at the 2017 LG's as they're in the 1800 dollar range, any advice? I appreciate all the help.

#6 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@n64dd said: Awesome. It'll be out of direct sunlight for sure. I was looking at the 2017 LG's as they're in the 1800 dollar range, any advice? I appreciate all the help.

The better the frame response, the more effective the image quality will be. OLED has a "long draw" but a quick reset between frames. So, a lower frame response (smaller number in milliseconds or ms) has the added benefit or mitigating any motion blur you may perceive from older panels. They are all fairly good, and image quality is great, but for gaming you may want to consider this.

#7 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3594 posts) -

I’m looking into 4K oled in future as well. Which do you guys think is better when it comes to oled. Lg or Sony?

#8 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:

I’m looking into 4K oled in future as well. Which do you guys think is better when it comes to oled. Lg or Sony?

I heard the higher end sony's are better but a lot more expensive. Shew would know more than me.

#9 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:

That, I won't weigh in on. Get what fits your budget. I am sitting on the fence for an HDMI 2.1 panel, personally... But my budget for a panel is about $8000

#10 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

That, I won't weigh in on. Get what fits your budget. I am sitting on the fence for an HDMI 2.1 panel, personally... But my budget for a panel is about $8000

What is the difference?

#11 Posted by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

The decoders on an HDMI 2.1 TV should be generationally faster over what is out right now. Perhaps even 120fps support. Frame response is king with an OLED. But yeah, my current 1080p panel is ISF calibrated. I'm... particular about things.

#12 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

The decoders on an HDMI 2.1 TV should be generationally faster over what is out right now. Perhaps even 120fps support. Frame response is king with an OLED. But yeah, my current 1080p panel is ISF calibrated. I'm... particular about things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073K7ZFNF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&tag=igndeals14-20&ascsubtag=90de822c-d2f3-4b65-b6b5-864338df19f3

Any issues with this one?

#13 Posted by JtoThaMtoThaP (1015 posts) -

Those are all great but I just bought the TCL 6 series 65" for under 1k for my basement lol its actually a great gaming tv....not in the mood to spend over 2k on a tv

#14 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@n64dd said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073K7ZFNF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&tag=igndeals14-20&ascsubtag=90de822c-d2f3-4b65-b6b5-864338df19f3

Any issues with this one?

Silly personal preference, but you should look at a picture on glass model before making the plunge. That's a decent panel, though. My personal dealbreaker would be the lack of atmos support and the next generation of audio pass-through for hdmi 2.1 will be a big leap over panels like this.

#15 Posted by GioVela2010 (5566 posts) -

Can you control the lighting in your room?

Yes? OLED

No? QLED

#16 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (17947 posts) -

OLED is better overall, but the thing that is tempting about Samsung's 2018 QLED TVs is that they will have FreeSync support (for XB1X anyway).

#17 Edited by General_Solo76 (492 posts) -

@Shewgenja: the B7A does have Dolby Atmos support, I have that model since last year, it came in a firmware update. All 2017 models of LG oled have the same panels and features, speakers and design are the only thing differentiating them. On a side note, Sony uses LG panels for their oled tvs as well.

#18 Edited by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

OLED is better overall, but the thing that is tempting about Samsung's 2018 QLED TVs is that they will have FreeSync support (for XB1X anyway).

Yet another reason to get a 2.1 TV. See also: eARC

#19 Posted by ReCloud (4423 posts) -

@n64dd: I take the best in cost vs benefit ALWAYS

#20 Posted by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@general_solo76 said:

@Shewgenja: the B7A does have Dolby Atmos support, I have that model since last year, it came in a firmware update. All 2017 models of LG oled have the same panels and features, speakers and design are the only thing differentiating them. On a side note, Sony uses LG panels for their oled tvs as well.

Yeah, I do believe LG is the only manufacturer making OLED panels. Sony has their own signal processors, though. As a skeptic, I am of the opinion it would be best to wait for their next gen of tvs so that they are more mature with the tech. Good to know about the fw updates on the LG, though.

#21 Edited by Juub1990 (8245 posts) -
@n64dd said:

What is the difference?

Mainly, the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is a lot higher. HDMI 2.1 will support 4K/120Hz whereas current HDMI supports 4K only up to 60Hz. Probably makes no difference if you primarily game on consoles though.

#22 Posted by j2zon2591 (3571 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Burn-in is WAY overhyped with OLEDs. You can generally pull up a Youtube of an RGB sequence to reset pixels in less than a minute. Sunlight and heat also cause wear to the organic compounds. Your average console gamer shouldn't have to give an eff. However, if you're going to leave a browser open all the time or icons on your desktop via connection to PC it does warrant some concern.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

#23 Posted by Xplode_games (1923 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

The difference with HDMI 2.1 is that you get TWO important things. One is a lot more bandwidth so that something such as 4k @120 frames per second becomes a possibility. Two you get VRR or Variable Refresh Rate which is the same as AMD's freesync. This VRR is very important if you are a gamer.

OLED is a lot better than QLED by the way. QLED is just a fancy marketing LED panel. OLED is the new technology with the awesome contrast and HDR. If you want advice on which OLED to buy, I find the website I am linking below to be very helpful. You should check it out.

https://www.rtings.com/

#24 Posted by sukraj (27808 posts) -

I own 2 OLED TV's and I have never experience any burn in it all depends how you use the TV imo

#25 Edited by Epak_ (10465 posts) -

I'd love a big OLED as a movies only screen and the new Samsung Q9 as a gaming/monitor screen.

#26 Posted by sukraj (27808 posts) -

@Epak_ said:

I'd love a big OLED as a movies only screen and the new Samsung Q9 as a gaming/monitor screen.

movies and games look so good on OLED

#28 Posted by Epak_ (10465 posts) -

@sukraj said:
@Epak_ said:

movies and games look so good on OLED

If OP has the money, try to get an OLED released this year, they have some burn in protection concerning static logos and such. I'm sure all content looks great on an OLED, but personally I'd try to not tease burn in with gaming UI's and normal PC use. If I could get a 65" OLED for 500 euros I wouldn't be so careful though :D

#29 Posted by PC_Rocks (1434 posts) -

I think personally I will have to settle for QLED or better yet LG's LED TV's because of their support for all 4 HDR formats. Sadly Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision or other HDR formats and I'll be using my TV as a monitor too. Too bad because I love the picture quality of OLEDs but because of burn in concerns I can't use it as a monitor.

#30 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

A lot of good info in this thread honestly. A lot of people don't understand all the nuances of new tvs. Any chance of a sticky @xantufrog ?

#31 Posted by xantufrog (10081 posts) -

I can sticky it for a bit - after a while people stop "seeing" stickies, plus it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to sticky a non-SW topic for too long

#32 Edited by lamprey263 (35737 posts) -

I really like my OLED, got it at a good price, haven't experienced any burn in though, also set my XB1 to dim after two minutes of idle time. It is supposed to have a pixel refresh option should burn in occur, have never used it though. My main concerns are with longevity. The QLED's don't quite match in quality but they could get better with newer models, and when that happens they'll also have a significantly better lifespan than OLEDs at which point might just be better to get a QLED, hopefully by then they are much cheaper.

#33 Posted by npiet1 (1305 posts) -

@Shewgenja: mightbe a dumb question cause its organic (hydrocarbon) could it grow bacteria or fungi. i looking on scholar and all i got was using bacteria as a substrate for oled.

#34 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9878 posts) -

Been a while since I did my research but as far as I know OLED will have superior image quality overall, and some people confuse Burn-in with Image retention. Burn-In is permanent and as long as you don't do something crazy and have some screen savers that turn on after inactivity, you should be fine.

But I've read image retention can happen on OLED, like the HUD from your previous game might still show signs when you load your next game, but will disappear after a few min....something like that. Anyways, I've got the KS8000 and I'm quite happy with it, QLED is like the successor to that and it's better overall, closer to OLED quality but OLED is still the best picture quality as far as I know.....however while OLED has overall better image quality, it's not better in every single category and you can read up on some review sites to find out more differences. I've read people complain that OLED doesn't seem as bright as LED for instance, that's probably more about preference than anything though.

#35 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

I can sticky it for a bit - after a while people stop "seeing" stickies, plus it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to sticky a non-SW topic for too long

Understandable. I appreciate it.

#36 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@Shewgenja: mightbe a dumb question cause its organic (hydrocarbon) could it grow bacteria or fungi. i looking on scholar and all i got was using bacteria as a substrate for oled.

lol I've never considered that.

#37 Posted by pyro1245 (4268 posts) -

Micro LED is the future.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microled-is-the-first-new-screen-tech-in-a-decade-can-it-beat-oled/

#38 Posted by npiet1 (1305 posts) -

@n64dd: yeah like the once there testing with are dead, but currrent oleds are sealed but not in a vacuum, so if there anarobic and aerobic bacteria in it, it probably could not to mention there only the substrate made of silicon is only heated to 150'c then put together so it cools rapidly while i havnt done the calculations it could easily be between 30-50'c which is a perfect temp for life. and i doubt there made in a clean environment.

#39 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: yeah like the once there testing with are dead, but currrent oleds are sealed but not in a vacuum, so if there anarobic and aerobic bacteria in it, it probably could not to mention there only the substrate made of silicon is only heated to 150'c then put together so it cools rapidly while i havnt done the calculations it could easily be between 30-50'c which is a perfect temp for life. and i doubt there made in a clean environment.

Think you might be over worrying.

#40 Posted by Zero_epyon (12817 posts) -

I've seen them side by side and I prefer Oled over Qled

#41 Posted by npiet1 (1305 posts) -

@n64dd: yeah since i became a dad ive started seeing worse case scenario a lot.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (50926 posts) -

Ohhhh, this thread was a huge help for me. Nice. I'm upgrading in a few months, but my condo has two sets of french doors leading to the balcony, so my room is bathed in sunlight constantly. Might go OLED for my bedroom later in the year.

#43 Posted by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

I found this thread informative and think you should keep it going until holiday season this year when the newer models come out and I'm ready to buy.

My 2 cents and I know, very selfish of me. lol :P

#44 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@xantufrog said:

I found this thread informative and think you should keep it going until holiday season this year when the newer models come out and I'm ready to buy.

My 2 cents and I know, very selfish of me. lol :P

I agree. Finding people knowledgeable with REAL INFO is a chore. I think it'll help a lot of people out.

#45 Posted by Howmakewood (5532 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:

lol I've never considered that.

Perfect fit for the roachstation

#46 Posted by xantufrog (10081 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@SecretPolice said:

Eh, what the hell. I'm happy to leave it up until the mob grows restless.

#47 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3594 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

So which OLED has HDMI 2.1?? I look at the spec in some LG and Sony TV and I don't see anything that says 2.1

#48 Posted by N64DD (11187 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

So which OLED has HDMI 2.1?? I look at the spec in some LG and Sony TV and I don't see anything that says 2.1

Maybe their 77 inch signature series for LG?

#49 Posted by Shewgenja (20821 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

They're not out yet :)

#50 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3594 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@n64dd said:
@Shewgenja said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

What is the difference?

They're not out yet :)

Ah. Great.. I'm looking into it, but most likely will wait till PS5 comes out when they can do real 4K for sure. By than 2.1 should be available and hopefully price will be lower as well!