Turns out PC gamers ARE stupid (kidding)

• 55 results
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Lots and lots of Steam users use a controller. Most often a 360 pad

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/valve-reveals-just-how-many-pc-gamers-plug-in-gamepads-and-which-kinds/

One important note: this doesn't really mean they are used much. In fact, they aren't. I have an X1 controller at hand for racing and platforming. Otherwise I use M&K for everything else. I'm not alone, because it appears to be a secondary stat for many people:

"Another chart suggests that a majority of these connected controllers don't receive regular use, however. According to Valve, only 20 percent of Steam's Xbox One users connected that pad to a Steam game in the past month. That's the highest-percentage ratio for controller use over a 30-day span"

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

I typically only use a gamepad unless I need to use a KB/M, which isn't all that often with the types of games I play. I'm in the Xbox One (Elite) chunk there.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

the joy of PC gaming is you don't have to choose

I constantly switch between my DS4, 360 pad and kb+m depending on the game and whether i'm playing it on my TV sitting on the couch or at my desk on the monitor

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I have 4 DS3s hooked up to my HTPC for Lovers In A Dangerous Space Time (all with one cheapo bluetooth adapter)

X1 and DS4 on my main rig for whatever games work better with controllers.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Well, duh, only morons use m/kb in this day and age to play games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

Me however:

• KB/M=first-person-shooters & RTS games only
  • Xbox Elite Controller=everything else

Yes, I'm one of those PC gamers who still prefers using controller and that's the best thing about PC, you have options to choose from. When gamepad isn't present on a certain game, then I'm totally down with KB/M.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

Makes sense, PC gaming doesn't get AAA developed games anymore, practically everything SP is porrted.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

I use a controller regularly. It is all about using the right tool for the job. Each peripheral has its strengths and weaknesses. I have the option to choose the best input method for each game unlike the consoles.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@xantufrog: I thought you were gonna talk about "Woke" The Verge and their piss poor attempt at building a PC, and called all their critics "Misogynist GamerGater Pigs"

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

There are plenty of games I use pad with... including sfv which gets a spin every day even though I use k/m primarily.

Also a lot of hunter vets scooped up mhw recently and probably threw in a controller for that because its familiar. Despite k/m controls being pretty tight there.

I will also say that if you have a controller plugged in and launch mhw... it moves you to big picture mode automatically. I know I plug and unplug my pad daily to avoid this.

Point being... many variables and factors here.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I always use my Xbone controller for games like Sonic, batman and DMC.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts
@davillain- said:

Me however:

Yes, I'm one of those PC gamers who still prefers using controller and that's the best thing about PC, you have options to choose from. When gamepad isn't present on a certain game, then I'm totally down with KB/M.

So you play Turn Based RPGs or MMO's with a controller? Or you don't play those games?

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

PC gaming doesnt mean mouse/kb.

PC gaming = use whatever peripherals you want/best for the type of game you're playing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

On a related note, this is good for Xbox players...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-gaining-mouse-and-keyboard-support/1100-6462040/

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man: lol, no I missed that wild ride

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator

@with_teeth26: agreed

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The only thing I use a gamepad for is fighting games everything else is mouse and keyboard I wish RDR2 would come out on PC with the console versions . I own a PS4 but I hate aiming with a gamepad I'm always fighting with the analog stick auto aim doesn't help that much I need the mouse for that precision aiming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

I used DS 3 on some of selected PC games, last time i used it on Yakuza 0 for the minigames.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

It's not like I do a lot of competitive gaming, so I use a PS4 controller. It's great with PC. Especially in Steam's Big Picture mode.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Okay. Not every game plays best on a M+KB. Many play best with a gamepad.

The great thing about PC is you get to choose what you use, and you can use literally anything (I think both the XBO and PS4 gamepads are literally connect and play now, with self-installing drivers).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator

@foxhound_fox: yes. I know. I note that in my OP. Was being silly in the overall tone of the thread

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@xantufrog: Silly? In System Wars? What's that?

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

the Steam controller is the real star. I also like Valve's BPM options for controllers.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I have an Xbox One controller for classic collections that need a D pad. I tried to use it in GTAV once and it sucked, went right back to M+KB.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#25 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I have an XBox One controller. I don't use it much, but it's still nice to have.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Right tool for the job and all that. Wouldnt dream of playing dragon quest 11 with K/M when I can lay in bed with my xbox controller. Same deal with hollow knight.

But for computer rpgs, strategy, or fps I wouldnt dream of using a controller. Tried it with divinity original sin 2 and it was awful.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@FireEmblem_Man: lol, no I missed that wild ride

Here's a video

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I must be really stupid because I use like four controllers. I got my flightstick, my throttle, my steam controller, my xbox controller.

No, wait...really really stupid because I also strap this funny looking video screen to my head and wave my hands around with two more controllers.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I toned down my PC gaming from years past when I'd have a set of driving wheels/pedals, flight stick/rudder pedals, gamepad, and keyboard/mouse.

Nowadays, I just have the keyboard/mouse, Logitech joystick with twist handle (for flight sims, mech games), and a wired 360 controller (rarely used). The last time I used the 360 controller was with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light years ago.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Yea in this day & age with so many youtube channels already have PC building guide, if they're gonna put out a guide to building a PC, they'd better make damn sure they were doing it correctly. Apparently 13 people were involve in The Verge video...lol..seems like none of them had a clue about building a PC. :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34595 Posts

Ever since Steam got Switch controller support, that's what I've been using. It shits all over my 360 controller. Fucking love it.

I recommend this to all PC/Switch gamers out there.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I prefer controllers with certain games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46226 Posts

For me:

- First Person Shooters

- RTS

are always played with a mouse & keyboard

- Third Person Games

- Racing games

are always played with a controller

Of course there are exceptions, because Remedy games and other TPS I play with mouse & keyboard.

I love switching over to the control type that works best.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Rarely use a controller, just gives a shit experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Weird. I've used controllers for 25 years and they do just great. had many great experiences.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

@boycie said:
@Random_Matt said:

Weird. I've used controllers for 25 years and they do just great. had many great experiences.

Well, if you're used to something better then you'll have a worse experience if you suddenly use something worse.

There's nothing wrong with using controllers though but I do understand what @Random_Matt is saying. If I play a game where aim matters with a controller, I just feel handicapped, it's just not as fun for me as using m/kb. Hell, playing VR shooters feels even more freeing and is even more accurate than the m/kb combo.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

M&KB still dominates. The chart shows that only 20% of people that have an xbox one controller connected to their PC used it in the last month and only 9% of the people that have a PS4 controller connected used that in the last month. Whats more 45% of people surveyed have connected a 360 controller to their PC and only 13% have used it in the last month.

Personally I only ever use a controller in fighting, side scrolling platform and racing games .

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#39  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2946 Posts

Yeah I was basically like that until I just said **** it and bought an Xbox. Major reasons being I play only AAA mainstream bullshit 99% of the time.

My Xbox library is twice as big as my Steam one after a few years.

Although I might add, I did love the 360 pad so it does not surprise me that is the preferred pad on Steam. It took me awhile to get adjusted to the Xone pad.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

i dont understand playing games with a controller.

I accept that people like it, I have tried, I dont, even more so if the game has a lot of different controls to it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

@unrealgunner said:
@davillain- said:

Me however:

So you play Turn Based RPGs or MMO's with a controller? Or you don't play those games?

MMO hasn't been interesting to me for years. Depending on turn-based RPG games, I'll test out KB/M first and if that type of turn-based doesn't fit for me with KB/M, then I'll use controller. I do however will test a game with KB/M if it works well for me in most games but if not, it's Xbox Elite controller to the rescue.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

my PC setup is kinda odd. I cant really use a mouse and keyboard for gaming with it as i basically dont have the room for a computer desk. its treated more like a console in that regard: hooked up to my telly and using wireless devices.

when using a KB+M normally i have them sitting on a plank of wood across my lap. this is fine for browsing or typing but playing something like doom....yeah they will fall off my lap.

so at the moment i use a 360 controller or a steam controller. im using the 360 controller a lot a the moment for F1 2017 and other racing games. the longer pull on the triggers is nice for controlling the go pedal.

the steam controller is for everything else. i tried the 360 controller with doom to see what it was like:.....nooo. not for me.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Never ever ysed a controller apart from the time when I use Joystick for flight sim games back in the day.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TryIt

@osan0 said:

my PC setup is kinda odd. I cant really use a mouse and keyboard for gaming with it as i basically dont have the room for a computer desk. its treated more like a console in that regard: hooked up to my telly and using wireless devices.

when using a KB+M normally i have them sitting on a plank of wood across my lap. this is fine for browsing or typing but playing something like doom....yeah they will fall off my lap.

so at the moment i use a 360 controller or a steam controller. im using the 360 controller a lot a the moment for F1 2017 and other racing games. the longer pull on the triggers is nice for controlling the go pedal.

the steam controller is for everything else. i tried the 360 controller with doom to see what it was like:.....nooo. not for me.

so how do you type on the internets or look up something in a wiki for a game you are playing?

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

I use controller most of the time unless I'm playing RTS, MMO or FPS. I did played Witcher 1 and 2 with KB/M but when I played W3, it was all controller.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@osan0 said:

They do make these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAGMF7CZ3095&cm_re=couchmaster-_-9SIAGMF7CZ3095-_-Product

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

That’s weird. I only buy games on PC that are best or better with KB/M.

Like Doom and Civ etc.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I have ALWAYS hated playing with a keyboard unless I am playing some RTS type game Call me crazy, I prefer analog stick for movement and mouse for aiming in FPS games. Been doing this for a while in one way or another. For the last 6yrs, I have been using a PS3 Navi controller for my movement and a gaming mouse. I map the buttons needed across the two devices. I do this on my consoles at times as well.

Platformers/3rd person action games etc, I use my Elite controller, racing I use my Fantec wheel setup, flying I use my HOTAS.

Ahhh...choice.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TryIt

@that_old_guy said:

Like Doom and Civ etc.

I dont know how people do it.

WASD to me feels as natural as real walking.

I tried with controllers and I just cant, and never mind any game that requires any level inputs other than very basic.

in fact, even 7 days to die which is on console I cant imagine playing on console, that would be a disaster for me.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts
@tryit said:
@that_old_guy said:

Like Doom and Civ etc.

I dont know how people do it.

WASD to me feels as natural as real walking.

I tried with controllers and I just cant, and never mind any game that requires any level inputs other than very basic.

in fact, even 7 days to die which is on console I cant imagine playing on console, that would be a disaster for me.

Now I see why you hate 3rd person action adventure games, fighting games or hack n slash games, you can't stand games that need precision or reflexes. lol