Trump to put a 10% tariffs on video game/game hardware

• 176 results
#151 Posted by kuu2 (11155 posts) -

Just doing what the rest of the world does. Evening the playing field is something that should have happened ages ago. Welcome to what America first looks like.

#152 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

America First means investing in education and research so that we are poised for the economic realities of the 21st century. America Firat means investing in alternative energy and a mag rail infrastructure system that moves people and goods coast to coast at speeds that were just pipe dreams in yesteryear.

If your concept of America First is getting in the same pissing matches with the developing world over increasingly less profitable supply chain demands for the sake of propping up jobs that are increasingly automated? You're doing it dead wrong and squandering resources that could make us the nano-manufacturing center of the known universe.

Trump is a symptom of the lack of vision and crude pessimism of an increasingly shrinking segment of our society that should stay silent lest it jeopardize any future we could have.

#153 Edited by 2Chalupas (7084 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@dynamitecop said:

I see no issue with it, much how I see little issue with other tariff's being put into place to reinforce job security and possibly move more production into the United States.

You see no issue with consoles costing $30-$50 more... "because Trump"???

That is generally the outcome with tariffs. Consumers pay more. Tariffs are a terrible idea, at least on stuff like this. Why should Sony or Nintendo, both Japanese companies, be forced to pay a penalty to the U.S. government on ANY of their products regardless of where they are manufactured??? There is little chance that they move production to the U.S, so in the end all it does is harm consumers and make the products harder to sell/less profitable.

you do realize that car's have had this tax forever right?

We have had tariffs in the past (punitive against Japanese autos in the 80's, for example). But I'm pretty sure we do not presently have tariffs or quotas on most categories of vehicles - and not coincidentally with "free trade" we now currently have record auto sales. This lifts all boats. Tariffs against autos will certainly jeopardize the record auto sales the market is currently enjoying.

BTW what was the result of those tariffs in the 80's? US car manufacturers built a bunch of crappy cars and didn't bother innovating. The protectionist program that was designed to "save" them quite literally set them up for ruin. 80's was one of the worst eras ever in US automotive history. Think that was a coincidence? That's what happens when you artificially prop up domestic companies. The domestic companies lose competitiveness because they know their government is giving them a 30% advantage built in.

#154 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@Shewgenja:

@kuu2 said:

Just doing what the rest of the world does. Evening the playing field is something that should have happened ages ago. Welcome to what America first looks like.

America use to be a leader and its was US, US, US. Now its a vision of ignorance and selfishness. "ME, ME, ME!"

#155 Posted by kuu2 (11155 posts) -

@iandizion713:

ME, me, me.......

Fat, drunk, and lazy is no way to go through life son. Educate yourself.

https://results.usaid.gov/

#156 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@iandizion713: Failure to develop the African economy is seriously holding back the entire world economy. Rather than engaging in protectionism, we should double down on free trade because technology just ensures that growth will be steady.

The ability to manufacture goods and deliver services the rest of the world can't has always been the US economic edge. Nationalists simply capitulate that eveyrthing is a 0 sum gain. That in itself is a recipe for stagnation and war as compwtition for the same resources becomes inevitable.

#157 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@iandizion713:

ME, me, me.......

Fat, drunk, and lazy is no way to go through life son. Educate yourself.

https://results.usaid.gov/

Bout what?

#158 Posted by Zlurodirom (1281 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

America First means investing in education and research so that we are poised for the economic realities of the 21st century. America Firat means investing in alternative energy and a mag rail infrastructure system that moves people and goods coast to coast at speeds that were just pipe dreams in yesteryear.

If your concept of America First is getting in the same pissing matches with the developing world over increasingly less profitable supply chain demands for the sake of propping up jobs that are increasingly automated? You're doing it dead wrong and squandering resources that could make us the nano-manufacturing center of the known universe.

Trump is a symptom of the lack of vision and crude pessimism of an increasingly shrinking segment of our society that should stay silent lest it jeopardize any future we could have.

A rising tide doesn't lift all boats, rain trickling down does!

#159 Posted by Shmiity (6277 posts) -

Oh f*ck Donald Trump. As if being racist, anti-women, and anti-immigrant wasn't bad enough. He's stomping on my boy MARIO now, too? So, every time I buy a game I'm paying for this stupid, god damn wall???

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#160 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@onesiphorus said:

If the tariffs are imposed, I can see console makers deciding to move hardware production to the U.S. which means more manufacturing and better-paying jobs for Americans.

Imagine a Switch or a Project Scorpio made in the U.S.

*Looks at Sig and Avatar and reads first sentence* ... cmon now, believing this stuff is crazy... as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, this whole idea of focusing purely on ones own production and expecting lots more jobs is very short sighted.

So the bottom-line appears to be that assembly could be done in the U.S. if consumers were willing to pay an additional $30-40, rising to around an additional $100 if as many components as practical were manufactured here – but the impact on the job market isn’t likely to be significant.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/iphone-made-in-usa-cost/

£50-100 more for the same item... and not a great deal of job increase... not great for the average person.

Same as this bloody Mexican Wall idea, all those billions, on a wall that needs 50k staff to cover... and still likely won't curb any real problems, because the real problems lie inward.

Wall's funding is already set aside along time ago and ex-Senator HRC has voted for it.

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/boom-gop-congressman-makes-huge-statement-about-trumps-wall

Gohmert told Doocy that billions of dollars have already been appropriated in Congress to build the wall throughout the years. As Doocy pointed out, that meant that Trump could potentially get going on the wall on “day one.”

It still costs to run (and that saved money could be used for better purposes....

Same in the UK, I have a right wing friend that loves to blame everything on immigration. "The NHS is collapsing due to over-immigration" ... yes friend, im sure it has nothing to do with our incredibly aging population and US/UK unhealthy lifestyles that cost our health services far more than immigrants... but lets ignore the inwards problems... its the "nasty job stealing outsiders" that we should focus on.

Anything but looking inwards... classic denial.

#161 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@bigboy_bmw760li said:
@tenaka2 said:

Trump is a joke of a president and america is a joke for electing him.

Good thing that isn't the case ;) Trump's a real dude tbh. The media is just mad biased to him tbh... #BigLeagueTruth

Ah yes, a real dude White-man centric billionaire that bases his decisions purely on personal benefit is such a "real dude" ... hes more of the Swamp than the Democrats he previously ragged on.

He is not a man of the people, hes the rich equivilant to white trash right-wing "make america great again as long as your a white male" ... I mean ffs caught bragging about sexual assault thats a real dude?

A real dude would be in prison for admitting that, hes not less corrupt than anyone else... hell even more so.

Ofcourse, hes a real dude because he mirrors most of your fear mongering opinions I presume?

#162 Posted by Shmiity (6277 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
@bigboy_bmw760li said:
@tenaka2 said:

Good thing that isn't the case ;) Trump's a real dude tbh. The media is just mad biased to him tbh... #BigLeagueTruth

Ah yes, a real dude White-man centric billionaire that bases his decisions purely on personal benefit is such a "real dude" ... hes more of the Swamp than the Democrats he previously ragged on.

He is not a man of the people, hes the rich equivilant to white trash right-wing "make america great again as long as your a white male" ... I mean ffs caught bragging about sexual assault thats a real dude?

A real dude would be in prison for admitting that, hes not less corrupt than anyone else... hell even more so.

Ofcourse, hes a real dude because he mirrors most of your fear mongering opinions I presume?

Wait a minute- a billionaire real estate tycoon with a supermodel wife who lives in a golden tower ISNT like me?? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? HE UNDERSTANDS ME!!

-Cries, dies, and cries again for America-

#163 Posted by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@onesiphorus said:

If the tariffs are imposed, I can see console makers deciding to move hardware production to the U.S. which means more manufacturing and better-paying jobs for Americans.

Imagine a Switch or a Project Scorpio made in the U.S.

*Looks at Sig and Avatar and reads first sentence* ... cmon now, believing this stuff is crazy... as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, this whole idea of focusing purely on ones own production and expecting lots more jobs is very short sighted.

So the bottom-line appears to be that assembly could be done in the U.S. if consumers were willing to pay an additional $30-40, rising to around an additional $100 if as many components as practical were manufactured here – but the impact on the job market isn’t likely to be significant.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/iphone-made-in-usa-cost/

£50-100 more for the same item... and not a great deal of job increase... not great for the average person.

Same as this bloody Mexican Wall idea, all those billions, on a wall that needs 50k staff to cover... and still likely won't curb any real problems, because the real problems lie inward.

Wall's funding is already set aside along time ago and ex-Senator HRC has voted for it.

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/boom-gop-congressman-makes-huge-statement-about-trumps-wall

Gohmert told Doocy that billions of dollars have already been appropriated in Congress to build the wall throughout the years. As Doocy pointed out, that meant that Trump could potentially get going on the wall on “day one.”

It still costs to run (and that saved money could be used for better purposes....

Same in the UK, I have a right wing friend that loves to blame everything on immigration. "The NHS is collapsing due to over-immigration" ... yes friend, im sure it has nothing to do with our incredibly aging population and US/UK unhealthy lifestyles that cost our health services far more than immigrants... but lets ignore the inwards problems... its the "nasty job stealing outsiders" that we should focus on.

Anything but looking inwards... classic denial.

Also, the fact that the NHS is supported by immigrants in the first place. If all those migrant doctors & nurses left, the entire NHS would collapse.

#164 Edited by Jag85 (13535 posts) -
@Gatygun said:

How is america gonna get screwed over? when americans buy the products? what does it matter if europe or any other continent / country gets for prices on there products.

List of minimum wages by country

• China - $0.93
  • United States - $7.25

The minimum wage in the US is about 8 times higher than China. There's a reason why the manufacturing industry has moved away from developed countries towards developing countries: It's far cheaper to manufacture. If you were to bring manufacturing jobs back to America, you'd have to pay the workers about 8 times more than in China. That would drive up the prices of American products by up to 8 times. If American products are so expensive, they would sell poorly, both in America and overseas, leading to American companies making huge losses, which in turn leads to big job losses, and in turn leading to increasing unemployment.

Trump's idea of bringing manufacturing jobs back to America is naive and delusional. Not to mention backwards-thinking. He's treating America like a developing country, not the developed country that it is. American companies rely on manufacturing in developing countries because it's far cheaper than manufacturing in the US. That's just basic economics.

#165 Posted by Maroxad (15263 posts) -

If trump was a man of jobs, he would NOT have backed down on the Democrats' infrastructure bill which would (at least on paper) create 15 million new jobs.

This tariff Trump proposes will only increase the cost of products, and possibly hurt the dollar's value. I wonder what impact this will have on the switch's success in the US.

#166 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8599 posts) -

Trump is going to bomb the Switch.

#167 Edited by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

It's not just the Switch, but all the three major console manufacturers would be negatively affected. Sony and Nintendo, for being foreign companies, and Microsoft, for relying on foreign manufacturing.

#168 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:
@darkangel115 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@dynamitecop said:

I see no issue with it, much how I see little issue with other tariff's being put into place to reinforce job security and possibly move more production into the United States.

That is generally the outcome with tariffs. Consumers pay more. Tariffs are a terrible idea, at least on stuff like this. Why should Sony or Nintendo, both Japanese companies, be forced to pay a penalty to the U.S. government on ANY of their products regardless of where they are manufactured??? There is little chance that they move production to the U.S, so in the end all it does is harm consumers and make the products harder to sell/less profitable.

We have had tariffs in the past (punitive against Japanese autos in the 80's, for example). But I'm pretty sure we do not presently have tariffs or quotas on most categories of vehicles - and not coincidentally with "free trade" we now currently have record auto sales. This lifts all boats. Tariffs against autos will certainly jeopardize the record auto sales the market is currently enjoying.

BTW what was the result of those tariffs in the 80's? US car manufacturers built a bunch of crappy cars and didn't bother innovating. The protectionist program that was designed to "save" them quite literally set them up for ruin. 80's was one of the worst eras ever in US automotive history. Think that was a coincidence? That's what happens when you artificially prop up domestic companies. The domestic companies lose competitiveness because they know their government is giving them a 30% advantage built in.

You do realize none of that is happening anymore and cars are still taxed like crazy. Why do you think a honda civic costs twice as much here as it does in asia? The tax made it so that the American manufacturers paying good wages to make cars didn't get undercut by imported cars selling for half the price because the workers are making pennies on the dollar there.

#169 Edited by EvanTheGamer (1531 posts) -

Trump needs to tell MicroSoft to start making Xbox in the US.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#170 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10548 posts) -

I get the principles of free trade. But at the same time I think that USA could bring manufacturing jobs to America with protectionism. If they didn't tariff auto manufacturing, maybe there wouldn't be any domestic auto manufacturing at all. The other day there was a story that Foxconn was considering a $7 Billion plant in the USA, which must be directly the result of Trumps policies. Foxconn makes electronics like phones and consoles. I would wonder if it will be a real manufacturing plant, and more of an assembly plant. Basically, they might try to make it in China, but just finish production in USA and hope that avoids the tariff. I guess we'll see within 4 years if there is net benefit to the USA

#171 Edited by 2Chalupas (7084 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@darkangel115 said:
@2Chalupas said:

You do realize none of that is happening anymore and cars are still taxed like crazy. Why do you think a honda civic costs twice as much here as it does in asia? The tax made it so that the American manufacturers paying good wages to make cars didn't get undercut by imported cars selling for half the price because the workers are making pennies on the dollar there.

Show me the tariff on Japanese Autos (i.e. the Honda Civic). According to this, it *was* at 2.5% for Japanese cars as of 2013. 2.5% is a rather negligible rate compared to what we are talking about here.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130412/OEM11/304129790/u.s.-to-gradually-drop-tariffs-on-japan-vehicles-under-trade-deal

Japanese "light trucks" is the only thing that was at a punitive rate (as I said). Light Trucks had a 25% tariff. All that punitive tariff did was kill the "light truck" market in the US. (Japanese companies left the market due to the tariff, but instead of innovating the U.S. companies also basically abandoned the smaller truck market in favor of full sized trucks). The tariff effectively destroyed a segment of the automotive market that the Japanese were the only ones willing to supply. Also according to that article, we did a bilateral agreement with Japan to phase these tariffs out out entirely. So it might even be 0% right now. Though I'm not sure if we have cancelled the tariffs entirely.

This is also a 2.5% rate we are talking about. Once you get to 10% or 30%, you are literally destroying companies. The only situation where we should be doing those punitive rates is where there is clear dumping going on (i.e. Chinese steel). I'm all for tariffs where we are trying to fight unfair trade practices, I just think it's horrible if we start applying them across the board to broader industries. Such policies would kill our own corporations, kill jobs, not create them.

#172 Posted by foxhound_fox (97970 posts) -

As a person who supports fiscal responsibility in politics, this is at least something positive coming out of Trump's reign. The American economy has been suffering for ages now, and the best way to generate more tax revenue and interest in investing on home soil is to increase tariff charges on imported goods.

As someone who has been paying $10 more per game for the past decade and a half on day one (there was a period of a couple years there where our dollar rebounded and prices equalized, but that's long gone) I am glad American's finally get to feel the squeeze of paying more for a luxury good.

It sucks, but in the long run, it might just encourage these companies to bring manufacturing jobs BACK to the US.

#173 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9732 posts) -

Games really shouldn't cost more if you buy them digitally. I'm sure most publishers will want to keep the digital and physical versions the same price, though.

Avatar image for bigboy_bmw760li
#174 Edited by BigBoy_Bmw760Li (176 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
@bigboy_bmw760li said:
@tenaka2 said:

I respectfully disagree. 1st off, the whole "Make America Great again as long as you're white" is bunch of malarky. If Trump was this and that like the biased media depicts him, how come so many African American's like myself voted for him? Trump is a real dude because he's about the people and America's best interest. We already know that the media numerous times has twisted his words in order to confuse people who do not read and follow politics/current events like myself and others on here. And regarding the grabbing the the pussy thing, he apologized for it. I think we can all agree we said or did something we regret within our lives. And it was locker room talk bruh lmao...your actin like females don't say the same stuff when there in the ladies room lol

#BigLeagueTruth

#175 Edited by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@bigboy_bmw760li said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@bigboy_bmw760li said:
@tenaka2 said:

I respectfully disagree. 1st off, the whole "Make America Great again as long as you're white" is bunch of malarky. If Trump was this and that like the biased media depicts him, how come so many African American's like myself voted for him? Trump is a real dude because he's about the people and America's best interest. We already know that the media numerous times has twisted his words in order to confuse people who do not read and follow politics/current events like myself and others on here. And regarding the grabbing the the pussy thing, he apologized for it. I think we can all agree we said or did something we regret within our lives. And it was locker room talk bruh lmao...your actin like females don't say the same stuff when there in the ladies room lol

#BigLeagueTruth

Ah the whole "Fake News thing" ... "locker room talk" apologised for getting caught, nothing else. All the media is biased! Even though they point out things that include evidence or quite clearly trump is lying about.. I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole with you... I already know how this works, denial of facts and evidence based on a belief system. Now we the U.S has a right-wing Evangelical government in place that will set generations back.

I don't care if your black, honestly if you think republicans or trump give a damn about you then go ahead, but trump is not a "real dude", born with a silver spoon, bailed out of several massive blunders that would cripple anyone with out that kind of legacy... and has basically p*ssed on the working class with 90% of his government staff picks. Obsessive over the top patriotism with a heavy emphasis on evangelic republican assholes... that can't see that they are just another side of the right-wing muslim coin... the irony is completely lost on them.

Anti Intellectualism, Anti-Facts and Anti-Critism, the man is a silver-spooned fascist. He is not a man of the people, hes said what people want to hear, with no intention of doing anything difficult.

Ah why am I bothering. you'l just say its "fake news" when it clearly isn't... the man doesn't give a s*it about the working class or the middle class either.

#176 Edited by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

As a person who supports fiscal responsibility in politics, this is at least something positive coming out of Trump's reign. The American economy has been suffering for ages now, and the best way to generate more tax revenue and interest in investing on home soil is to increase tariff charges on imported goods.

As someone who has been paying $10 more per game for the past decade and a half on day one (there was a period of a couple years there where our dollar rebounded and prices equalized, but that's long gone) I am glad American's finally get to feel the squeeze of paying more for a luxury good.

It sucks, but in the long run, it might just encourage these companies to bring manufacturing jobs BACK to the US.

It's actually very counter-productive, like I explained above:

@Jag85 said:

List of minimum wages by country

• China - $0.93
  • United States - $7.25

The minimum wage in the US is about 8 times higher than China. There's a reason why the manufacturing industry has moved away from developed countries towards developing countries: It's far cheaper to manufacture. If you were to bring manufacturing jobs back to America, you'd have to pay the workers about 8 times more than in China. That would drive up the prices of American products by up to 8 times. If American products are so expensive, they would sell poorly, both in America and overseas, leading to American companies making huge losses, which in turn leads to big job losses, and in turn leading to increasing unemployment.

This won't encourage American companies to bring manufacturing jobs back to America, but they'd much rather just pay up the tariff (ranging from 10% to 45%), since they'd have to pay far more than that if they manufactured in America.

#177 Edited by djura (542 posts) -

@dynamitecop said:

It doesn't really enhance job security per se (and even if it did, I don't think that argument applies in the video game industry); applying a tariff simply makes the goods more expensive for United States consumers.

My understanding is that a tariff might be applied to U.S. companies who manufacture overseas and then import a fabricated (or partly-fabricated) product for sale into the domestic U.S. market. If that's the case, then presumably Sony and Nintendo would be unaffected because they aren't headquartered in the U.S.

But who knows. At the moment there are simply rumours and absolutely no detail or coherent economic strategy in place. So right now, it's really just guesswork at best. I suppose the ESA is simply planning for any eventuality, which seems wise at the moment.

#178 Posted by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

@dynamitecop said:

You say this until a trade war starts...