Trending On Twitter: The New... Xbox One X and Xbox One S???

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well, that's one way to get consumers to notice the Xbox One X and Xbox One S

This is gonna be a disaster like the Wii U name was. But this time there's 2 consoles!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
Member since 2020 • 293 Posts

So much confusion could so easily have been avoided.

Easy: PS1/2/3/4/5

Confusing: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Now it makes sense why MS discontinued the Xbox One X. They don't want people confused lol

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

That's why I call it bone2. No way to be confused.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Naming is shitty, no doubts there. Didn't you reference this in your other thread? Not too sure it needed a new one.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Man even hardcore twitter users are confused about xbox's naming schemes. The average everyday consumer doesn't stand a chance.

Microsoft needs to do something about this change the names, change the colors on the xb1 and x-series x game cases this is all way too confusing for consumers.

With the PS4 and the PS5 I know where I stand. 5 is bigger and newer than 4 its simple the case is white instead of blue and has a bigger number on the box. Dude you can't do this microsoft.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

MS still trying to figure out video games...lolz

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Don't know. What should've been the Name? Xbox Two? Duo? Double? Bi? Zwei?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@subspecies_ii said:

So much confusion could so easily have been avoided.

Easy: PS1/2/3/4/5

Confusing: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 662 Posts

Honestly, its still better than the name xbox one. That was so horrible.

Maybe the marketing should start referring to them simply as series X and series S. I am not sure how else will they clear up the confusion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Well, that's one way to get consumers to notice the Xbox One X and Xbox One S

This is gonna be a disaster like the Wii U name was. But this time there's 2 consoles!

I call it as well long ago,the naming of the xbox one X and Series X will cause problems,to add insult to it both the xbox one s and xbox X play all xbox series X games,so if a parent doesn't know the difference they would end up buying the older consoles and still think it got the right one because it play the games.

The wii U had a huge problem with this,not only with the hardware but on the wii U case parents were buying wii u games and finding they didn't work on the wii,that is when the riot started.

But on this case those series X games work on xbox one S and X models.

MS has a problem with names,if they would have keep it simple and name the 360 xbox 2,they would be much better now,with the xbox 4 S and xbox 4 X.😂

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:

Now it makes sense why MS discontinued the Xbox One X. They don't want people confused lol

But still they leave the xbox one S is lol worthy,it is also why the series S grill is black and not white like on the xbox one S but still look it had the effect many predicted.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Sometimes it bellies belief how inept this company is lol.

Jesus fugging christ, just call the systems "Xbox Green" and "Xbox Blue". There you go Microsoft. Theres a non-retarded name thats a million times better than the monumentally stupid name that you came up with. That wasnt difficult at all. Now go and fire your ENTIRE marketing team.

Who on earth focus-groups this shit?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Just ask for the one that dumb dumbs think will hold back the ‘most powerful console on the planet’

or

The one that all the games look and run better on and you’ll be fine

HaH

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nirgal

@bluestars: If i was a salesman and you asked me for the first choice i would honestly not be able to know if to give you the xbox one S or the xbox series S, since both of them have been accused of holding the xbox series X back.

Anyway, the names are very confusing, and it doesn't matter if the people getting confused are dumb or not. Most likely they are not, they simply care less about gaming, and dont follow gaming news very closely. My parents are an Engineer, and double major in economics, and not any less intelligent than an average person. I am completely sure they will be confused by the naming of these consoles simply because they dont follow gaming closely.

And that attitude toward gaming describes everybody but the hardcore and enthusiasts like us. So it will probably affect sales.

Still, i will be fair and say that, as bad as this name is, its still WAY BETTER than Xbox one. That name was a complete disaster.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Has there ever been a case in gaming history where confusion over the name of a home console became problematic and became a public relations disaster? Microsoft should know that consumers who are not dedicated gamers would get confused over the naming of these consoles. As someone who is closer to the average gamer, I am confused over the names and I do not see any rationale behind them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

This confusion argument is from people who are not thinking. When the Xbox Series hits the shelves at major stores, most likely there are only going to be Series S and Series X. Absolutely worst case scenario, the average consumer would ask "What is the newest Xbox" to the nearest sales rep to which they will be pointed to the latest version but for some reason consumers would be running around confused.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Haven't a clue how these same folks who are so confused by the simplest things solve even the easiest puzzles in games.

It must be drain bamage

I mean Serially. lol :P

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Anyone expecting rational or coherent discussions from Twitter is, frankly, a fool.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@Pedro said:

This confusion argument is from people who are not thinking. When the Xbox Series hits the shelves at major stores, most likely there are only going to be Series S and Series X. Absolutely worst case scenario, the average consumer would ask "What is the newest Xbox" to the nearest sales rep to which they will be pointed to the latest version but for some reason consumers would be running around confused.

We already had Wii and WiiU fiasco.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I don't think this will be a WiiU level disaster since a lot of Wii buyers were a different demographic, but it will likely cause a fair amount of confusion. That said, any Walmart employee working in the electronics department should be able to clear things up rather easily.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:

If you believe that the Wii U failed because of the name then you are not being wise.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: It was a big part of it. Many parents thought it was like DS > DSi and 3DS > New 3DS, they thought Wii U was a hardware refresh that added small features to the Wii like having a screen accessory for off TV play.

So parents were confused with

• Wii
  • Wii U

but not with

• DS
  • DS Lite
  • DSi
  • DSi XL

nor

• 3DS
  • 3DS XL
  • 2DS
  • New 3DS
  • New 3DS XL
  • New 2DS XL

The WiiU failed because it was a bad system and poorly marketed. Believing that its failure was because of name confusion is silliness.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:

If you believe that the Wii U failed because of the name then you are not being wise.

Okay Pedro, this is well known the name Wii to Wii U was part of the problem but the naming was really bad on Nintendo. Wii U had other issues but the name was one of them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@davillain- said:

Okay Pedro, this is well known the name Wii to Wii U was part of the problem but the naming was really bad on Nintendo. Wii U had other issues but the name was one of them.

No! It was not well known reason. It was a baseless assertion made by gamers. Nothing more nothing less.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Pedro: Tell that to the average Joe gamers. What I mean is, not all gamers follow gaming news is what I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't being clear on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Pedro: I witnessed first hand multiple retail employees (Best Buy, Game Stop, Target, Walmart) telling customers the Wii U was a tablet for the Wii. There was PLENTY of confusion surrounding the DS and 3DS products as well. The difference between Nintendo and Xbox is the quality 1st party titles. There are Wii U games that sold more than any PS4 or Xbox One exclusive. Those titles then came to Switch and sold even more.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Pedro said:

Name was one of the reasons. Nintendo even said they failed at selling the console as a brand new machine when they showed it. Of course, there were several other reasons, but name was the first bad step they took., hopefully is not the case for the X series ... which to be fair, it could be.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@madsnakehhh: @goldenelementxl: @davillain-: If you all can provide non anecdotal evidence of the name being the primary reason for the system failure I will concede. I can accept that the system was possibly poorly marketed and may be one of the reasons for the system's failure but just the name?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@Pedro: Where did i say it was the main reason? Just the first misstep. Also i remember there was a CNN article (sorry if i don't have on first hand info from more than 5 years ago) saying that the WiiU was the Wii's new peripheral.

Last but not least, there was this video which apparently was Nintendo's way of saying ... hey, this is a brand new console ("WiiU is an entire new technology and true successor of Wii").

So yeah ... take it as you wish, but there is no denying name was confusing for the common folk. Main reason for it's failure? No ... but a glaring marketing disaster nevertheless.

Loading Video...

Edit. Oh what do you know, i just found this ... from Iwata himself:

"Some have the misunderstanding that Wii U is just Wii with a pad for games, and others even consider Wii U GamePad as a peripheral device connectable to Wii," said Iwata. "We feel deeply responsible for not having tried hard enough to have consumers understand the product."

Again, i'm not saying the system failed because of the name alone, but hopefully MS won't be needing to address consumers explaining why the X-Series is a different platform than just another X-One revision.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

There's a rumor(I just made a thread about it) that another Xbox is coming called Xbox Series V. No clue what V stands for, but I don't really know what S or X stand for either. Thought the S meant Slim but that's usually just a slimmed down model with the same performance and still has an optical drive.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nirgal

i just come from an article of eurogamer, and the most voted comment is "i am confused about the name of the console" Those are gaming enthusiasts, and in my experience the comments tend to be way smarter than the GameSpot or ign crowd.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@davillain-: I think the CPU was another big part of the problem. I've been playing it and it's terrible. They wanted to keep the heat low, the power low and maintain a connection and compatibility to the Wii for the popularity. But the architecture of that CPU was developed in 1997. The frame rates are a problem in the Arkham games even.

There's a rumour that developers might have been supposed to use the GPGPU to handle some of the CPU jobs.

The CPU, caused some developers to jump ship, because they didn't want to waste resources trying to get games to work on it. Combined with some confusion over the name and what the console was supposed to be about. There were even reports of game journalists being confused over its E3 reveal. There was confusion, you practically have to explain the console to a lot of people you talk to. The Wii branding was mostly for casuals, so the message has to be simple, easy and quick for them. Gamers new what it was and where it stood, but the core audience of the Wii, were not gamers, and they did not get it.