Top 10 RPGs Of The Generation!

• 129 results
Posted by mjorh (6742 posts) 3 years, 8 months ago

Poll: Top 10 RPGs Of The Generation! (123 votes)

Final Fantasy XIII 2%
Valkyria Chronicles 2%
Dragon Age: Origins 8%
Xenoblade Chronicles 16%
Diablo III 1%
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition 15%
Dark Souls II 3%
Fallout 3 10%
Mass Effect 2 12%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 15%
Others 16%

Gameinformer recently has made a list of top 10 RPGs of the generation and i thought it'd be a good idea to have a discussion about the experiences that we had with the RPGs and choose the best among them which i hope Mass Effect 2 be the victorious (not Skyrim!), the polling options are in a respective order defined by GI's staff and i had nothing to do with it.

I'd go with the true masterpiece, Mass Effect 2 !

Source

#51 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Really,the best RPGs of the previous gen of gaming.

10. Valkyria Chronicles

9. The Last Story

8. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky fc

7. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

6. Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core

5. Fallout 3

4. The World Ends With You

3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

#52 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Demons Souls

Any other answer will lead to an ip ban.

Dark Souls is better

#DealWithIT

#53 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

LOL Skyrim winning

/sigh

#54 Posted by uninspiredcup (26097 posts) -

Darksouls: PTD.

#55 Posted by mjorh (6742 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

Thanks for listing your ten fav RPG's TC, pretty bad list for choosing the best of last gen

Blame Gameinformer , it's not my list and tbh i'm not big on RPGs , gotta play more.

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Flubbbs said:

Mass Effect 2 is considered an rpg? lol

Exactly my thoughts .

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/stacks/my-best-games-of-2005-2013-7th-console-generation/76033958/

Mass Effect 2 was my best game of last gen but even I know that it is not a pure RPG . I don't know why people even mention it in the same list when games like Witcher 2 , TES , and other RPGs are in the same list .

And why do u think ME2 can not be considered as an RPG? i mean it had a lotta RPG elements mixed with action combat , and i have to say the balance was just mind-blowing ....

#56 Edited by Zelda187 (1047 posts) -

Games like Deus Ex and the Mass Effect trilogy are good games, but how the **** are they RPG's?

What, just because they have a progression system and allow dialogue choices? They're mostly linear shooters with some RPG elements.

#57 Edited by finalfantasy94 (27400 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

They did well to include Valkyria Chronicles, but FFXIII? That game was garbage. So many better titles than that puke fest.

Im more sruprised that they put xenoblade over Valkyria since I felt VC had wayyyy better characters. I have no problem with FF13 being on the list and being last cause even though I enjoyed it it still had flaws and I enjoyed other games more then it.

#58 Posted by Ballroompirate (25948 posts) -

I'd have to go with

1. Skyrim
  2. The Witcher 2
  3. Mass Effect 1
  4. Dark Souls 2
  5. Mass Effect 2
  6. Dragons Dogma
  7. Dragon Age 1
  8. Dark Souls 1
  9. The Witcher
  10. Divinity 2
#59 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

No New Vegas? Ugh....

#60 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Lack of recognition for The World Ends With You is unfortunate since it's way better than FF13

#61 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@ActicEdge said:

Lack of recognition for The World Ends With You is unfortunate since it's way better than FF13

that's not really an achievement

#62 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@ActicEdge said:

If FF13 can make the list, The World Ends With You Definitely should have been on it, that's my point. Every aspect of that game was fresh more so than any other game on that list.

#64 Posted by PyratRum (778 posts) -

In no particular order:

Skyrim
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
DIablo III
Valkyria Chronicles
Fallout: New Vegas
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Final Fantasy Type-0
Ape Quest

#65 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@ActicEdge said:

@Krelian-co said:

@ActicEdge said:

If FF13 can make the list, The World Ends With You Definitely should have been on it, that's my point. Every aspect of that game was fresh more so than any other game on that list.

I agree, i just don't know why ff 13 is even on that list.

#66 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@ActicEdge said:

@Krelian-co said:

@ActicEdge said:

I agree, i just don't know why ff 13 is even on that list.

Final Fantasy bias I suppose. I dunno tbh, lots of good RPGs came out last gen especially if you include handhelds.

#67 Posted by CTR360 (8527 posts) -

1 xenoblade chronicles 2 ni no kuni 3 skyrim 4 fallout 3 5 tales of vesperia 6 mass effect 2 7oblivion 8 dark souls 9 demon souls 10 diablo 3 (console version)

#68 Posted by rabakill (884 posts) -

What's sad is all those games have pretty bad gameplay mechanics asides from demon/dark souls and dragon age. I'm a gameplay first person and it bothers me that dragons dogma, a cheesy clunky mess, had the best gameplay of any RPG. I just hope we improvements to gameplay in the future.

#69 Posted by uninspiredcup (26097 posts) -

@rabakill said:

What's sad is all those games have pretty bad gameplay mechanics asides from demon/dark souls and dragon age. I'm a gameplay first person and it bothers me that dragons dogma, a cheesy clunky mess, had the best gameplay of any RPG. I just hope we improvements to gameplay in the future.

Agreed. Random internet person has the best and correct opinion.

#70 Edited by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

Ni No Kuni, no contest.

#71 Posted by with_teeth26 (8499 posts) -

My personal pick would be Fallout: New Vegas

also Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2. Mass Effect 1, the Witcher games and Dragon Age Origins were also really damn good RPG's

#72 Posted by mjorh (6742 posts) -

To those who say Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG , i'd like an explanation "WHY" !

#73 Edited by hiphops_savior (8444 posts) -

According to Gamerankings

1. Mass Effect 2- 95.77%
  2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- 95.17%
  3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion- 93.85%
  4. Fallout 3- 92.85%
  5. Mass Effect 3: 92.17%
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles- 91.74%
  7. Mass Effect- 91.24%
  8. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story- 91.01%
  9. SMT: Persona 3 Portable- 90.77%
  10. Dragon Age: Origins- 90.63%
#74 Edited by heguain (1414 posts) -

ME2, TW2, Origins? why are you doin' this to me?! D: Meh voted TW2 cuz I finished it 5 times!

#75 Edited by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

@mjorh: too many games with RPG elements being counted as RPGs. If Mass Effect is an RPG, then Zelda is an RPG.

#76 Edited by heguain (1414 posts) -

BTW about the Mass effect bit, to some people (for ex. whom like focused gameplay only or linear soulless games) ME2 may seem to them that it's not an ''RPG'' just because it really focus on story and characters but it STILL imo focus on the RPG elements, you can customize your character, you feel like a badass leader and you can either lead your squadmates to their doom or their victory, there's choices and consquences maybe not as strong and important as Witcher 2 and 1's choices imo (like when you get to choose between Roche or Iorveth which changes the route of the whole game, yes.) but they're still an effective and deep ones that focuses on the details imo, to each their sights and opinions I guess :/

#77 Posted by LordCrash88 (524 posts) -

There is no generation on PC.

And I couldn't care less about RPGs on console.

#78 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@yokofox33 said:

They did well to include Valkyria Chronicles, but FFXIII? That game was garbage. So many better titles than that puke fest.

Im more sruprised that they put xenoblade over Valkyria since I felt VC had wayyyy better characters. I have no problem with FF13 being on the list and being last cause even though I enjoyed it it still had flaws and I enjoyed other games more then it.

Regardless of your opinion on the characters, it shouldn't be surprising that Xenoblade was ranked ahead of Valkyria Chronicles. It has always been more critically acclaimed.

#79 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

TC forgot to put this on poll

It's not on the poll because the poll reflects Game Informer's list.

#80 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Easily , one of the best games ever made .

hmmm. thats too much. i would say its one of the better game of last generation but cant hold candle against original Deus Ex.

At least Deus Ex HR has better shooting mechanics and the awesome cover system.

#81 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

1. New Vegas (by a big margin)

2. Dragon Age Origins

3. Witcher 2

4. Deus Ex 3

5. Demon Souls

6. Dark Souls

7. Oblivion

8. Skyrim

9. Guild Wars 2 (damn straight)

10. Mass Effect 1

I didn't include ME2/3 because i felt they were 3rd person shooters with small skill trees, not really RPG.

#82 Edited by finalfantasy94 (27400 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@yokofox33 said:

Regardless of your opinion on the characters, it shouldn't be surprising that Xenoblade was ranked ahead of Valkyria Chronicles. It has always been more critically acclaimed.

but Both seem to be highly acclaimed.

#83 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@yokofox33 said:

but Both seem to be highly acclaimed.

Both are highly acclaimed, but Xenoblade is more highly acclaimed.

#84 Edited by AdobeArtist (24784 posts) -

@heguain said:

BTW about the Mass effect bit, to some people (for ex. whom like focused gameplay only or linear soulless games) ME2 may seem to them that it's not an ''RPG'' just because it really focus on story and characters but it STILL imo focus on the RPG elements, you can customize your character, you feel like a badass leader and you can either lead your squadmates to their doom or their victory, there's choices and consquences maybe not as strong and important as Witcher 2 and 1's choices imo (like when you get to choose between Roche or Iorveth which changes the route of the whole game, yes.) but they're still an effective and deep ones that focuses on the details imo, to each their sights and opinions I guess :/

Thank you :)

@bbkkristian said:

@mjorh: too many games with RPG elements being counted as RPGs. If Mass Effect is an RPG, then Zelda is an RPG.

Now I haven't played a Zelda game since SNES, but comparing Zelda to Mass Effect to establish an RPG criteria is futile. Does a Zelda game incorporate any of the following?

* character skill trees and customization?
* attribute building?
* classes through which to differentiate play styles?
* any form of world interacting, through dialog exchange or choices that influence events?

Zelda has always been an action adventure, ME is an action RPG. While thjey both have an action component, there's a difference in how the that aspect of the mechanics integrate with the overall game design and player experience.

#85 Posted by foxhound_fox (96996 posts) -

Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#86 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18694 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution, Xenoblade, Knights in the Nightmare, Radiant Historia and Pokemon Heartgold sit at the top of the best RPGs of last generation.

#87 Posted by happyduds77 (1688 posts) -

@rabakill said:

So true. RPGs have trouble with making an engaging and satisfying combat mechanics. It's the choices and outcomes, and quests that really matter.

#88 Posted by uninspiredcup (26097 posts) -

@LordCrash88 said:

There is no generation on PC.

And I couldn't care less about RPGs on console.

Witcher 3 built for consoles.

#89 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

Dragon Age was pretty cool.

#90 Posted by cainetao11 (33472 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Mass Effect 2 is a great game and my most favorite game of last gen but when it comes to being an RPG , then it doesn't even come close to definition of a true RPG .

The Witcher 1 & 2 were the best RPGs in ages .

Hello brother. I vote Witcher 2. Those games are the best RPGs I have played since I first started the Fallout series.

#91 Posted by blueinheaven (4141 posts) -

Fallout New Vegas. Best characters, best quests, amazing atmospheric world to explore. I can't even begin to explain how utterly bored I was by Skyrim. Worst dialogue ever and stupid quests, ridiculous main 'plot' and of course the game f***ing played itself while I tagged along.

#92 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14406 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Mass Effect 2 is a great game and my most favorite game of last gen but when it comes to being an RPG , then it doesn't even come close to definition of a true RPG .

The Witcher 1 & 2 were the best RPGs in ages .

Hello brother. I vote Witcher 2. Those games are the best RPGs I have played since I first started the Fallout series.

Indeed :-)

#93 Edited by lamprey263 (35002 posts) -

My top 10 in no particular order:

• Mass Effect
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Dead Island
  • Dead Island Riptide
  • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2

I'm assuming SMT: Persona 5 will be on that list in the future.

#94 Posted by blueinheaven (4141 posts) -

Just thought I'd add I don't think of Witcher 1 and 2 as RPG's. For a start you're not playing any role at all just acting out Geralt's adventures so basically you're playing him. Outside of that it's an incredibly basic hack and slash with a few buffs thrown in character progression could hardly be more minimalistic.

The stories are great but they're both more action adventures than RPG's not really sure why they're on this list at all tbh. I'm hoping Witcher 3 will have a lot more depth in how you can develop the character.

#95 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -
  1. Demon's Souls
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Fallout New Vegas
#96 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -
  1. Skyrim
  2. Dragon Age Origins
  3. Mass Effect 2
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Fire Emblem Awakening
#97 Posted by TheEroica (17416 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:
  1. Demon's Souls
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Fallout New Vegas

Wasn't expecting you to say New Vegas... I Like F3 more, but admittedly New Vegas didn't have the luxury of being first up to bat. Just couldn't get past the launch window bugs... it's probably the only game I played in Gen7 that I can honestly say, the performance of the game dragged down my overall opinion of the game in the end. Too many broken quests lines and reloading old saves for me to forgive... Setting was cool but maybe not as fully realized as I was hoping. What they did get right was player choice, alliances and how that effected the overall personal forging of "your own" adventure. I dug that a lot.

#98 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

1. Dark Souls

2. Demon's Souls

3. The Witcher 2

4. Dark Souls 2

5. Fallout New Vegas

6. Mass Effect 2

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

8. Fallout 3

9. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

10. Magicka

#99 Posted by TheEroica (17416 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

1. Dark Souls

2. Demon's Souls

3. The Witcher 2

4. Dark Souls 2

5. Fallout New Vegas

6. Mass Effect 2

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

8. Fallout 3

9. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

10. Magicka

Magicka is ridiculously good.... and I thank you for that recommendation poole. so fun... and god damn unique. Bring on Helldivers!

#100 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp said:
  1. Demon's Souls
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Fallout New Vegas

Wasn't expecting you to say New Vegas... I Like F3 more, but admittedly New Vegas didn't have the luxury of being first up to bat. Just couldn't get past the launch window bugs... it's probably the only game I played in Gen7 that I can honestly say, the performance of the game dragged down my overall opinion of the game in the end. Too many broken quests lines and reloading old saves for me to forgive... Setting was cool but maybe not as fully realized as I was hoping. What they did get right was player choice, alliances and how that effected the overall personal forging of "your own" adventure. I dug that a lot.

I played it super late, because Obsidian.

When I played it the game was hunky dory. It plays the way I want a rpg of this ilk to play. My build and decisions effecting my playthrough creating a proper player driven narrative, and not the facade that The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, or 999 go for is what I loved so much about it. I don't like the vats combat stuff, but New Vegas's questing makes up for that stuff in spades. Bethesda's game in comparison to me is with the exception of Morrowind, typical Bethesda: it's great for escapism.

They create this amusement part of a setting with all this shit going on and it's fun to just explore it, be in it, and enjoy it for just that. A moment to be away. But the actual questing, main line actions, and combat centric stuff is boring to me (unless it's Morrowind, that games speaks Champ). Not that I don't get the appeal of what Bethesda does, I do. I respect it even (more so than I do other devs who make poor gameplay games by stance), but it's not built for me the way New Vegas was.