Top 10 Games of the Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#201 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

***1*** Flight Simulator X. Why? My field of work is related to weather. Plus, a good part of my life was dedicated to weather and aviation. FSX is the only game I know so far where I can input real-world weather and have a degree of accuracy in the way clouds and obstructions to vision are rendered. Plus, there's no shooting or killing. It's simply the serenity of flying among the clouds.

fsx2012-04-2105-57-48-92.jpg

2. IL2 Pacific Fighters. Technically, this is last-gen. But, the thread rule says from 2004 onwards. So, I'm counting this. I love WW2 aviation as a hobby. That means I like it in scale models, books/magazines, and in video games. Sure, I like to fly around. Once in a while, I want to shoot at something and re-live in an accurate way, the various tactics used by the major combatants in the air war of WW2. The IL2 series reproduce these faithfully.

PF4_zps70797e24.jpg

3. IL2 Cliffs of Dover. This was supposed to be the successor to the IL2 line. Unfortunately, a glitchy release coupled with questionable AI and being a resource hog resulted in terrible reviews. I think those dings have been fixed and Cliffs of dover to me is good for a few rounds of intense dogfights during the Battle of Britain.

launcher2012-01-1819-33-24-62_zps8332746 

4. Hard Reset. I love the run and gun FPS of old. This game is the perfect fix. No realism required. No logic. No stupid story. Just gimme my gun and start the fireworks. It's sci-fi. It's loud with lots of explosions. I love it!

hardreset20130125005918.jpg

5. The Uncharted series. Yup I like them all, even UC1. I like adventure games and I consider the UC games as adventure with action elements.

UC2Cap-13_zps496b5fa8.jpg

6. FIFA 2013. Sports is the one genre that keeps me gaming on consoles and FIFA just happens to be my favorite:

328577.png

7. The Crysis games. Like the UC series, I like all of the Crysis series. It's teh only series that really makes me feel like the Predator in the Predator movies:

XYwhMV1.jpg

8. The Killzone games. Sure. I rag on their graphics and grumble about KZ2 as having the worst bullet sponges. They're linear as hell and generic as they come. But, they're action-filled almost at every corner and have tons of options for singleplayer. Sounds great too. So, despite all my belly-aching, I still love the series and looking forward to KZ4.

KZ3-Cap-8_zps8c1abb3d.jpg

9. Far Cry 3. It's too easy. But, I love exploring its world when I need my open-world fix. I'm a sucker for tropical islands.

screenshot0193.jpg

10. The Total War games. Lots of killing at a massive scale with me playing as general. Love it.

Napoleon2011-12-1001-33-21-44_zps028036e

Drasonak

Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.

The awful story doesn't take away from the fact that Far Cry 3 is a good game.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

turtlethetaffer

Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.

I was thinking the same thing.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Drasonak

If that's the way you saw it, that's fine. Me? I was barely paying attention to the story line. I was more engrossed with the world itself.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

DragonfireXZ95

The TC says Far Cry 3 has a terrible story after listing games like smash bros brawl, Donkey Kong, Little Big Planet 2, Pokemon and other games with very little story to no story at all?

Isn't TC a well known troll?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#205 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Paper Mario

Mario Kart Wii

Xenoblade

Zelda Skyward Sword

Metroid Prime trilogy

DK Country Returns

- Reserved - Maybe Metro Last Light.

Batman Arkham city (For best blockbuster game, will probably get replaced by GTA V)

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

DragonfireXZ95

The TC says Far Cry 3 has a terrible story after listing games like smash bros brawl, Donkey Kong, Little Big Planet 2, Pokemon and other games with very little story to no story at all?

It's fine not to have any story at all. But having a blatantly racist and Euro-centric one actually makes it worse than if they had just dropped you into the action and said nothing at all.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="menes777"]

Drasonak

It just promotes ignorance of other cultures. You probably wouldn't get it; it's all about having some human decency. Far Cry 3 is the type of game Hitler would promote if he played video games.

It's still fun to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#208 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

America is pretty bad, though.

lundy86_4

In terms of what? It has it's downfalls. As does any country.

A lot.  But it has its good parts though.  I live there, in the midwest, so that's part of it.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.jun_aka_pekto

If that's the way you saw it, that's fine. Me? I was barely paying attention to the story line. I was more engrossed with the world itself.

Yes... Euro-centricism at its finest. Your culture has blinded you from seeing any fault with it at all. You are far too used it being the norm. Read Teasley & Tyson, Tim Wise, and W.E.B. DuBois for more information. They explain this attitude on psychological and societal level pretty well.
trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#210 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

Based on the games that stuck in my head the most or I played a lot.

1. Ico and Shadow Of Colossus HD Collection - (Lol this game has won this gen and last gen, will any future game ever beat these?)

2. Disgaea 4 - (200+ hours well spent, loads of laughs, great gameplay. Everyone should give this game a try :) never know it could be your favorite)

3. Bioshock - (Craps all over Infinite, in its time)

4. Uncharted 2 & 3  - (awwwww this series is so awesome)

5. Halo Series - (excluding Halo Wars, sucked, all other Halo's were great)

6. Journey - (One of the most beautiful & Unique games ever created)

7. LittleBigPlanet 2 - (Fun with the Family, Many hours spent playing.)

8. Fallout 3 - (Has not aged well, but when it first came out, I thought it was the bees Knees)

9. Heavy Rain - (Oh yes I loved this game, a game movie that allows you to determine the outcome)

10. Tomb Raider - (OMG great Job, this is the best Tomb Raider game since PS1 games)

Honerable mentions for Great Games this gen I also loved

- Portal 2

- Gears Of War Series

- Alan Wake

- Ratchet And Clank Future Series

- Resistance 3

- Sound Shapes

- Gravity Rush

- Metal Gear Rising (Would have made the top list if the game was longer, BEST CUTSCENES & Slicing gameplay ever)

- Rayman Origins

- Donkey Kong Returns

- Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

- Killzone 2 & 3

- Braid

- Guacamelee

- Starhawk (Multiplayer is pretty awesome)

Mrmedia01

This guy :cry: i love this guy for including gravity rush in his list :oops: *sheds tears*

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Drasonak

Yes... Euro-centricism at its finest. Your culture has blinded you from seeing any fault with it at all. You are far too used it being the norm. Read Teasley & Tyson, Tim Wise, and W.E.B. DuBois for more information. They explain this attitude on psychological and societal level pretty well.

Oh just quit it.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 trollhunter2

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"]

Call of Duty 2

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty 4

CoD: World and War

CoD: Modern Warfare 2

CoD: Black Ops

CoD: Modern Warfare 3

CoD: Black Ops 2

Halo 3

Halo 4

CallOfDutyRulez

If that's true, you have terrible taste in games.

Hey cow, still butthurt that no PS3 exclusive was able to top the sales for ANY of the games I've listed? You should take my advice and go to the nearest pharmaceutical to get some ointment for your butthurt.

Why dont you list Gran tursimo 5? It has outsold COD Black ops 2 for ps3. Also COD games are mutliplat fakeboy:?

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Drasonak

And there we go, straight into the darkest bowels of a shitty toilet... was just a matter of time with you anway...

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 menes777

[QUOTE="menes777"]

Drasonak

It just promotes ignorance of other cultures. You probably wouldn't get it; it's all about having some human decency. Far Cry 3 is the type of game Hitler would promote if he played video games.

I guess you haven't played Postal 2 (or 3) or Modern Warfare 2.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

turtlethetaffer

Oh just quit it.

http://angloamerica101.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/white-savior-fantasy-the-impossible/ Look at this movie. A tsunami in Thailand focused around a bunch of pretty white people? Even the other characters they run into with the same situation are idealic white people. They could've played up an interesting dynamic by crossing cultural boundary lines to form a bound, but no, just throw even more white people so the audience can actually feel sorry for both of them sharing in the same tragedy.

I bet you saw nothing wrong with this either... but this stuff pervades every medium to some extent. This is just a more obvious example.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Ha ha, it never works when I try to submit a signature. It always says it's too big or something.Drasonak
Just put the link of the image you want between brackets like this. Click "Apply Changes". Should be good then.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
In no order: The world ends with you Halo 3 999 Sleeping Dogs The Darkness Yakuza 3 Batman Arkham Asylum Oblivion The Witcher Mass Effect
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] Yes... Euro-centricism at its finest. Your culture has blinded you from seeing any fault with it at all. You are far too used it being the norm. Read Teasley & Tyson, Tim Wise, and W.E.B. DuBois for more information. They explain this attitude on psychological and societal level pretty well.Drasonak

Oh just quit it.

http://angloamerica101.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/white-savior-fantasy-the-impossible/ Look at this movie. A tsunami in Thailand focused around a bunch of pretty white people? Even the other characters they run into with the same situation are idealic white people. They could've played up an interesting dynamic by crossing cultural boundary lines to form a bound, but no, just throw even more white people so the audience can actually feel sorry for both of them sharing in the same tragedy.

I bet you saw nothing wrong with this either... but this stuff pervades every medium to some extent. This is just a more obvious example.

Um... I acknowledge that the Far Cry 3 story is sh!t and hell more or less racist? The fact is that despite that it's still a well made and fun to play game.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

And there we go, straight into the darkest bowels of a shitty toilet... was just a matter of time with you anway...

lostrib

Quoted from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a PC gaming news outlet that is very outspoken on issues of misogyny in the gaming community. Could it be run by disguised console gamers in an effort to put some morals on PC gamers so they can stop dragging society's image of a gamer down? Well, regardless, they made some interesting points:

Whats Wrong With Far Cry 3 The Static Characters Yesterday I talked about the protagonist, and how while there were clearly problems, in the end I found myself liking this spoiled kids descent into cruel, terrified brutality. I also attempted to dismiss away the situation he was in. Thats not really fair. Because Far Cry 3, well, its a bit racist, isnt it? I said, rather flippantly, that the people of this island are the race they are, because its the island theyre native to. It is what it is, essentially. And thats the case thats really not the issue here. It had to be set somewhere. The issue is the horribly worn tropes it so lazily kicks around when it gets there. As it is, you have the simple-folk-natives, and the immigrant white men with their mixture of South African and Australian accents. And one black guy. White people ask you to get involved in enormously elaborate machinations, ancient mysteries, and local politics. Locals ask you to help them kill endangered species, find their missing daughters, and point out when their husbands are gay. Essentially, the locals behave as if theyre helpless without you, but when you wield their tattoo-based magical powers then true greatness appears. And its here that the problems really kick in. Theres a term for it. Its Noble Savage. And it also falls under the remit of the Magical Negro. The trope is that the non-white character possesses mystical insight, magical abilities, or simply a wisdom derived from such a simple life, that can enlighten the white man. And its pretty icky. The premise relies on the belief that the individuals race is in some way debilitating, something their noble/mystical abilities are able to overcome. The further you get, the more revered your character becomes. The antagonists call you Snow White, a derisory name but one that pretty much points out that youre the pure white American man in this land of colourful folks. And the locals begin to hear word of not only your helpful ways (which would seem fair youre being very helpful) but also your abilities with their customs, your wielding of their powers. You are the outsider who has come in and outdone them, shown them the true majesty of their savage abilities. They cant fight against the pirates for themselves, but you can save them. Now, Ive not finished the game I am, by the map, halfway through. This might be discussed, it might be addressed, but its certainly already there. So Ive argued why I think the story of the spoilt rich white kids having their worlds fall apart is not a bad thing. But I do wonder what would have stopped the story being about a local of the island rising up against the pirate oppressors. And then at least the problematic mystical bullshit would have at least been a part of his or her culture, even if it would still have remained entirely unnecessary. Or maybe just have the island be inhabited by an indigenous race that isnt generally pathetic. And then theres the rapey bit. (Oddly, this paragraph is also a spoiler.) General rule: unless your game is about rape, or willing to truly deal with the subject, maybe steer clear of rape. Its way too big of a subject to nonchalantly include, and its pretty abhorrent to use it as a mere plot beat. The rape in FC3 is threatened and implied, rather than witnessed, but its so thrown away, used to say, This man who did it is terrible! rather than to explore the true horror for the repeatedly abused victim. The perpetrator happens to be one of the best written and acted characters in game especially acted. Its a fantastic performance. And his being a monster makes that all the more affecting. But in the end, the reveal of Jasons victimisation is flippant, and the ludicrous mystic-trippy scene in which you QTE kill Buck is just plain offensive in the context. I think it was intended to further the brutal horror faced by these rich suburban kids, but in the end its an awkward, potentially upsetting misfire.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/04/what-i-loathe-about-far-cry-3/

What is your deal with PC gamers? I mean seriously let it go.  You biased sack of shit

:lol: Drasonak claims another victim.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] Quoted from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a PC gaming news outlet that is very outspoken on issues of misogyny in the gaming community. Could it be run by disguised console gamers in an effort to put some morals on PC gamers so they can stop dragging society's image of a gamer down? Well, regardless, they made some interesting points:

Whats Wrong With Far Cry 3 The Static Characters Yesterday I talked about the protagonist, and how while there were clearly problems, in the end I found myself liking this spoiled kids descent into cruel, terrified brutality. I also attempted to dismiss away the situation he was in. Thats not really fair. Because Far Cry 3, well, its a bit racist, isnt it? I said, rather flippantly, that the people of this island are the race they are, because its the island theyre native to. It is what it is, essentially. And thats the case thats really not the issue here. It had to be set somewhere. The issue is the horribly worn tropes it so lazily kicks around when it gets there. As it is, you have the simple-folk-natives, and the immigrant white men with their mixture of South African and Australian accents. And one black guy. White people ask you to get involved in enormously elaborate machinations, ancient mysteries, and local politics. Locals ask you to help them kill endangered species, find their missing daughters, and point out when their husbands are gay. Essentially, the locals behave as if theyre helpless without you, but when you wield their tattoo-based magical powers then true greatness appears. And its here that the problems really kick in. Theres a term for it. Its Noble Savage. And it also falls under the remit of the Magical Negro. The trope is that the non-white character possesses mystical insight, magical abilities, or simply a wisdom derived from such a simple life, that can enlighten the white man. And its pretty icky. The premise relies on the belief that the individuals race is in some way debilitating, something their noble/mystical abilities are able to overcome. The further you get, the more revered your character becomes. The antagonists call you Snow White, a derisory name but one that pretty much points out that youre the pure white American man in this land of colourful folks. And the locals begin to hear word of not only your helpful ways (which would seem fair youre being very helpful) but also your abilities with their customs, your wielding of their powers. You are the outsider who has come in and outdone them, shown them the true majesty of their savage abilities. They cant fight against the pirates for themselves, but you can save them. Now, Ive not finished the game I am, by the map, halfway through. This might be discussed, it might be addressed, but its certainly already there. So Ive argued why I think the story of the spoilt rich white kids having their worlds fall apart is not a bad thing. But I do wonder what would have stopped the story being about a local of the island rising up against the pirate oppressors. And then at least the problematic mystical bullshit would have at least been a part of his or her culture, even if it would still have remained entirely unnecessary. Or maybe just have the island be inhabited by an indigenous race that isnt generally pathetic. And then theres the rapey bit. (Oddly, this paragraph is also a spoiler.) General rule: unless your game is about rape, or willing to truly deal with the subject, maybe steer clear of rape. Its way too big of a subject to nonchalantly include, and its pretty abhorrent to use it as a mere plot beat. The rape in FC3 is threatened and implied, rather than witnessed, but its so thrown away, used to say, This man who did it is terrible! rather than to explore the true horror for the repeatedly abused victim. The perpetrator happens to be one of the best written and acted characters in game especially acted. Its a fantastic performance. And his being a monster makes that all the more affecting. But in the end, the reveal of Jasons victimisation is flippant, and the ludicrous mystic-trippy scene in which you QTE kill Buck is just plain offensive in the context. I think it was intended to further the brutal horror faced by these rich suburban kids, but in the end its an awkward, potentially upsetting misfire.Obviously_Right

What is your deal with PC gamers? I mean seriously let it go.  You biased sack of shit

:lol: Drasonak claims another victim.

Just another day in SW.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Rocker6

Quoted from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a PC gaming news outlet that is very outspoken on issues of misogyny in the gaming community. Could it be run by disguised console gamers in an effort to put some morals on PC gamers so they can stop dragging society's image of a gamer down? Well, regardless, they made some interesting points:

Whats Wrong With Far Cry 3 The Static Characters Yesterday I talked about the protagonist, and how while there were clearly problems, in the end I found myself liking this spoiled kids descent into cruel, terrified brutality. I also attempted to dismiss away the situation he was in. Thats not really fair. Because Far Cry 3, well, its a bit racist, isnt it? I said, rather flippantly, that the people of this island are the race they are, because its the island theyre native to. It is what it is, essentially. And thats the case thats really not the issue here. It had to be set somewhere. The issue is the horribly worn tropes it so lazily kicks around when it gets there. As it is, you have the simple-folk-natives, and the immigrant white men with their mixture of South African and Australian accents. And one black guy. White people ask you to get involved in enormously elaborate machinations, ancient mysteries, and local politics. Locals ask you to help them kill endangered species, find their missing daughters, and point out when their husbands are gay. Essentially, the locals behave as if theyre helpless without you, but when you wield their tattoo-based magical powers then true greatness appears. And its here that the problems really kick in. Theres a term for it. Its Noble Savage. And it also falls under the remit of the Magical Negro. The trope is that the non-white character possesses mystical insight, magical abilities, or simply a wisdom derived from such a simple life, that can enlighten the white man. And its pretty icky. The premise relies on the belief that the individuals race is in some way debilitating, something their noble/mystical abilities are able to overcome. The further you get, the more revered your character becomes. The antagonists call you Snow White, a derisory name but one that pretty much points out that youre the pure white American man in this land of colourful folks. And the locals begin to hear word of not only your helpful ways (which would seem fair youre being very helpful) but also your abilities with their customs, your wielding of their powers. You are the outsider who has come in and outdone them, shown them the true majesty of their savage abilities. They cant fight against the pirates for themselves, but you can save them. Now, Ive not finished the game I am, by the map, halfway through. This might be discussed, it might be addressed, but its certainly already there. So Ive argued why I think the story of the spoilt rich white kids having their worlds fall apart is not a bad thing. But I do wonder what would have stopped the story being about a local of the island rising up against the pirate oppressors. And then at least the problematic mystical bullshit would have at least been a part of his or her culture, even if it would still have remained entirely unnecessary. Or maybe just have the island be inhabited by an indigenous race that isnt generally pathetic. And then theres the rapey bit. (Oddly, this paragraph is also a spoiler.) General rule: unless your game is about rape, or willing to truly deal with the subject, maybe steer clear of rape. Its way too big of a subject to nonchalantly include, and its pretty abhorrent to use it as a mere plot beat. The rape in FC3 is threatened and implied, rather than witnessed, but its so thrown away, used to say, This man who did it is terrible! rather than to explore the true horror for the repeatedly abused victim. The perpetrator happens to be one of the best written and acted characters in game especially acted. Its a fantastic performance. And his being a monster makes that all the more affecting. But in the end, the reveal of Jasons victimisation is flippant, and the ludicrous mystic-trippy scene in which you QTE kill Buck is just plain offensive in the context. I think it was intended to further the brutal horror faced by these rich suburban kids, but in the end its an awkward, potentially upsetting misfire.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] Yes... Euro-centricism at its finest. Your culture has blinded you from seeing any fault with it at all. You are far too used it being the norm. Read Teasley & Tyson, Tim Wise, and W.E.B. DuBois for more information. They explain this attitude on psychological and societal level pretty well.Drasonak

Oh just quit it.

Don't see anything wrong with that movie, doesn't bother me...

Rather amusing how these days we get a bunch of people on the Internet being on a constant lookout for anything to get offended about...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Drasonak

Jesus christ, some of us play video games just to have fun and not psycho analyze every possible bullshit Politically correct angle.  

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 turtlethetaffer

Hoo buddy this thread has gone off the rails.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 lostrib

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 CallOfDutyRulez
Member since 2013 • 1602 Posts

I just love how none of the games you guys have listed have sold more than the CoD series.

Sales prove which games are the best. Why else would people buy the game? DERP!!!

trollhunter2

:lol: :lol: :lol: :? ...... :(

He is serious ?

Why do people care so much about reviews? "Professional" Reviews are often paid for by SONY, and user reviews are often flooded by SONY fanboys giving their precious, sub-1 million sellers 10/10. The only reliable measure that gauges how good a game is is SALES. Good games and franchises sells plenty for every iteration. Failed games with garbage quality like 99% of SONY's offerings get ignored by the gamers. Logic. Use it, cows.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Quoted from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a PC gaming news outlet that is very outspoken on issues of misogyny in the gaming community. Could it be run by disguised console gamers in an effort to put some morals on PC gamers so they can stop dragging society's image of a gamer down? Well, regardless, they made some interesting points

Cool... only why would I overanalyze the storyline and characters in a game like FC3, where they take a huge backseat to the gameplay and an open world?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

I just love how none of the games you guys have listed have sold more than the CoD series.

Sales prove which games are the best. Why else would people buy the game? DERP!!!

CallOfDutyRulez

He is serious ?

Why do people care so much about reviews? "Professional" Reviews are often paid for by SONY, and user reviews are often flooded by SONY fanboys giving their precious, sub-1 million sellers 10/10. The only reliable measure that gauges how good a game is is SALES. Good games and franchises sells plenty for every iteration. Failed games with garbage quality like 99% of SONY's offerings get ignored by the gamers. Logic. Use it, cows.

Oh my God, your trolling is truly awful... In a trollish way. :lol:

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Drasonak
[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Ha ha, it never works when I try to submit a signature. It always says it's too big or something.freedomfreak
Just put the link of the image you want between brackets like this. Click "Apply Changes". Should be good then.

Alright, I'll be sure to get around to it. Do you take requests? :D
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 lostrib

[QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

CallOfDutyRulez

He is serious ?

Surprisingly, games can be good with out sales. And bad games can have good sales--just take a look at simcity (2013)

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Rocker6

turtlethetaffer

It was a barrel of a gunpoweder right from the start, a disaster waiting to happen. Only I'm suprised it didn't take this route right on the first page...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

I don't take video games seriously enough to get into a tizzy about whether its morals are questionable or not. Don't waste anymore time and spit on me. It's pointless.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 menes777

lostrib

I think he couldn't figure out how to turn one on and has been pissed ever since.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 freedomfreak
Alright, I'll be sure to get around to it. Do you take requests? :DDrasonak
Unfortunately, my photo-shopping skills are pretty weak :P I would if I could, man.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 lostrib

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Far Cry 3's story in a nutshell: "We brown people need the help of a single white cis male who has not training in combat at all to cast out the other brown people. Ooga-booga magic ceremonial, spiritual bullshit, 'cause that's what brown people do. You should be really sad that this one white person died, because that is equivalent to a whole person, unlike the millions of brown people slaughtered by the organization's hands. Oh, and we're in tune with nature and stuff and wear tribal clothes because our culture sucks since the European's decided not to **** with it." You would think it's the late 19th, early 20th century if we weren't on the Internet or playing video games right now.Rocker6

Quoted from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a PC gaming news outlet that is very outspoken on issues of misogyny in the gaming community. Could it be run by disguised console gamers in an effort to put some morals on PC gamers so they can stop dragging society's image of a gamer down? Well, regardless, they made some interesting points

Cool... only why would I overanalyze the storyline and characters in a game like FC3, where they take a huge backseat to the gameplay and an open world?

The only entertaining part of the story in FC3 was Vaas and that had a lot to do with the great voice acting.  It's a pretty generic action movie plot with some decent into madness portions thrown in, which actually got annoying because they turned many of the end "boss" deaths into hallucinogenic quick time events

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 lostrib

This actually would've been a really good thread had TC's personality been less repulsive.Mystery_Writer

Yeah if he didnt have to turn every thread into biased fanboy bashing bullshit and then add in some extra ******** crap for extra suckage

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]

Oh just quit it.

Rocker6

Rather amusing how these days we get a bunch of people on the Internet being on a constant lookout for anything to get offended about...

You do realize games like this only perpetuate Euro-centricism further, even if it's unknowingly, right? They place the image in your head. This is a common theme for marketing products. For example, associating Axe with a well-built young men, surrounded by attractive young women on a nice sunny day at the beach? Or just putting Lucerne milk in a happy family setting... There's so much evidence for this affecting our perception, like, I can't even...
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#238 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

CallOfDutyRulez

He is serious ?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 turtlethetaffer

Rocker6

It was a barrel of a gunpoweder right from the start, a disaster waiting to happen. Only I'm suprised it didn't take this route right on the first page...

Yeah but now we've got Draconak or whatever he's called going off about cultural sensitivity and whatnot... good lawd.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Drasonak
[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Alright, I'll be sure to get around to it. Do you take requests? :Dfreedomfreak
Unfortunately, my photo-shopping skills are pretty weak :P I would if I could, man.

It's good groundwork, though. Could you maybe just put a razor in his hand? Hope I'm not pushing you to your limits with this. :P
CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 CallOfDutyRulez

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"][QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

He is serious ?

lostrib

Surprisingly, games can be good with out sales. And bad games can have good sales--just take a look at simcity (2013)

If a game is good, word would spread and the game would sell well even without marketing. Just take a look at Valkyria Chronicles. The game got almost no marketing from the publisher, yet still managed to sell more than 1 million copies.

Just ask yourself: If you truly enjoyed an obscure game, wouldn't you wanna share that information with your fellow gamers so that there could be a sequel? The game quality decides how many sales the game will get, not the "marketing" bullcrap you cows keep spewing.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 trollhunter2

[QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

CallOfDutyRulez

He is serious ?

funny mario kart wii outsold all those games you've listed :? and you still call it a crappy game. I thought you are striving for the best selling and most profitable games, instead of the good ones:?

Also kinda ironic that Gran turismo 5 for PS3 has outsold COD Black OPS 2 and MW3 for ps3, still you havent listed it.

You fail at the promise of being a Profitable Sales gamer :(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 freedomfreak
It's good groundwork, though. Could you maybe just put a razor in his hand? Hope I'm not pushing you to your limits with this. :PDrasonak
I'll try. Just send me a picture and I'll see what I can do.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"] Why do people care so much about reviews? "Professional" Reviews are often paid for by SONY, and user reviews are often flooded by SONY fanboys giving their precious, sub-1 million sellers 10/10. The only reliable measure that gauges how good a game is is SALES. Good games and franchises sells plenty for every iteration. Failed games with garbage quality like 99% of SONY's offerings get ignored by the gamers. Logic. Use it, cows.CallOfDutyRulez

If a game is good, word would spread and the game would sell well even without marketing. Just take a look at Valkyria Chronicles. The game got almost no marketing from the publisher, yet still managed to sell more than 1 million copies.

Just ask yourself: If you truly enjoyed an obscure game, wouldn't you wanna share that information with your fellow gamers so that there could be a sequel? The game quality decides how many sales the game will get, not the "marketing" bullcrap you cows keep spewing.

So, someone doesn't njoy an obscure game unless they talk about it? which, by the way, most people do on websites such as this?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

The only entertaining part of the story in FC3 was Vaas and that had a lot to do with the great voice acting.  It's a pretty generic action movie plot with some decent into madness portions thrown in, which actually got annoying because they turned many of the end "boss" deaths into hallucinogenic quick time events

Rocker6

Yeah, and to say, most games have generic action movie plots, filled with the usual cliches and stereotypes. If the gameplay is great, who cares?

Story, writting and characters are only worth discussing if devs are trying to sell a game on that premise while putting some actual effort into it... else, you know it'll be bad to mediocre.

Yeah the best parts in Far Cry 3 are the gameplay aspects, mainly attacking outposts.  Just taking whatever tactic you want to try.  Stealth, full on rambo, releasing animals, just C4ing everything! Also fire

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] http://angloamerica101.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/white-savior-fantasy-the-impossible/ Look at this movie. A tsunami in Thailand focused around a bunch of pretty white people? Even the other characters they run into with the same situation are idealic white people. They could've played up an interesting dynamic by crossing cultural boundary lines to form a bound, but no, just throw even more white people so the audience can actually feel sorry for both of them sharing in the same tragedy.

Drasonak

You do realize games like this only perpetuate Euro-centricism further, even if it's unknowingly, right? They place the image in your head. This is a common theme for marketing products. For example, associating Axe with a well-built young men, surrounded by attractive young women on a nice sunny day at the beach? Or just putting Lucerne milk in a happy family setting... There's so much evidence for this affecting our perception, like, I can't even...

That's cool... only I don't care. I associate Axe with a good shower, and never heard of Lucerne milk... don't think it's availible around here.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"] Why do people care so much about reviews? "Professional" Reviews are often paid for by SONY, and user reviews are often flooded by SONY fanboys giving their precious, sub-1 million sellers 10/10. The only reliable measure that gauges how good a game is is SALES. Good games and franchises sells plenty for every iteration. Failed games with garbage quality like 99% of SONY's offerings get ignored by the gamers. Logic. Use it, cows.CallOfDutyRulez

your trolling is pretty bad. you should just stop here.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

and the fact that bad games can get good sales?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 lostrib

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] http://angloamerica101.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/white-savior-fantasy-the-impossible/ Look at this movie. A tsunami in Thailand focused around a bunch of pretty white people? Even the other characters they run into with the same situation are idealic white people. They could've played up an interesting dynamic by crossing cultural boundary lines to form a bound, but no, just throw even more white people so the audience can actually feel sorry for both of them sharing in the same tragedy.

Drasonak

yeah it's called advertising. Businesses want to make money, including film studios

CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 CallOfDutyRulez

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"][QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

He is serious ?

trollhunter2

funny mario kart wii outsold all those games you've listed :? and you still call it a crappy game. I thought you are striving for the best selling and most profitable games, instead of the good ones:?

Also kinda ironic that Gran turismo 5 for PS3 has outsold COD Black OPS 2 and MW3 for ps3, still you havent listed it.

You fail at the promise of being a Profitable Sales gamer :(

I'm not denying that there are SOME good games for the PS3. I'm saying that the correlation coefficient between sales and game quality is not a perfect 1.0. There are a myriad other factors that play into sales - Marketing and insane Nintendrones come to mind.