Tomb Raider Gameplay Footage Lara slaughtering her way through XD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]What other series is being killed?ChubbyGuy40

DMC, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 embraced the actiony routes, Crysis 3 continues down the wrong path, TESO, Rainbow 6 Patriots, XCOM is an abomination, Aliens will be a disappointment, Splinter Cell looks like sh!t, SimCity (while still looking incredibly fun) is shallow compared to previous entries. That's all I can think of atm.

It wasn't THAT bad:(

you forgot hitman btw

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"]

Man, lot o' hate for the game in this thread.  I thought it looked cool.  Granted, it seems to have borrowed heavily from Uncharted, but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.

Miroku32

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Anyways, have never played Uncharted (nor I plan too) so this is like something new for me ;)

Uncharted is a great series so I really don't have a problem with games borrowing things from it.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#153 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Game looks like **** too.  Horrible textures.  

Fizzman

It's the 360 version.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

mitu123

It's the 360 version.

Ah, that makes sense. I got worried there for a second, some of those textures looked really bland, like Lara clothes severely lacking in detail on that cracking glass scene!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#155 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]What other series is being killed?ChubbyGuy40

DMC, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 embraced the actiony routes, Crysis 3 continues down the wrong path, TESO, Rainbow 6 Patriots, XCOM is an abomination, Aliens will be a disappointment, Splinter Cell looks like sh!t, SimCity (while still looking incredibly fun) is shallow compared to previous entries. That's all I can think of atm.

Meh to all of those series because I never really cared. But Enemy Unknown is a good X-Com game and TES has always been crap, so... yeah.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

you forgot hitman btw

lawlessx

I'm talking about 2013 games and the XCOM TPS, not EU.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

I'm actually really looking forward to it.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#158 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Looks like fun to me.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ChubbyGuy40

Ah, that makes sense. I got worried there for a second, some of those textures looked really bland, like Lara clothes severely lacking in detail on that cracking glass scene!

Rocker6

You forgot the part where they have character shadows that look like they belong on the 3DS. No really, go back to the beginning at look at Lara's shadow. It looks like a NES sprite.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#160 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Don't you worry Lara Croft, AdobeArtist is here to protect you.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

ChubbyGuy40

You forgot the part where they have character shadows that look like they belong on the 3DS. No really, go back to the beginning at look at Lara's shadow. It looks like a NES sprite.

Ewwww, looks dreadful!

Ugly spots like that can take a lot of the immersion away for me!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Maybe my main point got mired in the swamp of text. But can you really say people aren't just rushing to assumptions here? In one video we see Lara dealing with her first kill. This has a different sequence with lots of killing? Can you, I or anybody really know what time frame this takes place in after that first kill, or what happened in between? Anybody got the answer to this? Anybody at all?

The whole point of this story is that Lara is supposed to evolve, she's supposed to grow through her experiences that she becomes more capable of taking care of herself, and by extension combating enemies - as she was always capable of in previous games that took place when she was already developed. This an an A to B journey, that the person she is at the end isn't the same as who she was at the beginning.

The only thing we're missing is the pacing of how that progression develops over the course of the actual real time gameplay experience. Which as I've been saying you can't get from isolated and disconnected clips speckling moments from here and there.

Desmonic

Okay. Let's assume that it'll happen like you are saying (which would already be a big plus for the game).

I get that they don't want to spoil the gam, but they are selling us the image of an innocent Lara evolving to the Lara we all know. What they are saying still doesn't match with anything they've shown so far.

You have legitimate reasons to believe in what they are saying, and that the story and gameplay will deliver (not only in quality but consistency). However, it is legitimate to me (and others) to complain that the message they are sending doesn't match one bit with all they've shown. And that worries me. I'd hate to see the game become just a regular TPS game. Previous games had enemies sure, but in low quantities compared to other TPS's and most of them not even human (animals for the most part).

Like I said I do wish I'm wrong about all this and the game proves me completely wrong, I'd be pretty happy about it. However...you surely can understand why I'm skeptical..

But it's just not possible to show what is trying to be conveyed as far as the character growth and development in a 10 minute video, or even 5 separate 10 min clips, especially when each is an isolated event shown out of sequence. The only way we'll see the progressive character growth is by experiencing it first hand, each moment in proper sequence.

I've seen the comments along the lines of, "We were promised a story of a scared and vulnerable girl, why are we seeing female rambo?? We were lied to, arghhhh...". Lara does start out scared and vulnerable. But she isn't supposed to stay that way. I thought that was obvious.

I guess I am asking you (and others) to take in a lot on faith. But at the same time I can point out that it isn't reasonable to come to a judgement based on small snippets. This especially applies to the Uncharted comparisons. Combat has always been a part of Tomb Raider games before, and poorly done in the earlier games. Lara weilding a shotgun and semi automatic rifle is nothing new to TR. Of course they want to show case how they improved this mechanic where it was needed most. They need to send the message that this game which has its beginings from 3 generations ago has evolved and measures up to modern standards.

It's just that they always show the combat sequences separate from the exploration and puzzle sequences of the game (which I posted here and in the hype thread), so it seems like some people are only looking at it from a fragmented perspective and not putting the pieces together. It's that "selective information processing" I call into question.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Rocker6

It's the 360 version.

They never showed the PS3 and PC versions, only 360 version it seems for some reason.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Ewwww, looks dreadful!

I don't like the fact that her hair is made out of rubber. I mean just look at the way it moves, eeeeewwwwww.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 ChubbyGuy40

Ewwww, looks dreadful!

Rocker6

Incredibly inaccurate boob shadows shall not do! At least the master race will have proper shadow resolutions.

WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

Where's the tomb raiding? The puzzles? The lethal traps?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Where's the tomb raiding? The puzzles? The lethal traps?

WhySoLimp

aaaaaand, here it is again...

IGN 1hr feed

IGN the Tombs of Tomb Raider

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#169 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Guide Laura Craft through cooridor after cooridor using a variety of weapons, ducking behind cover and popping out to shoot! Guide Laura Craft through nail bitingly intense moments such as guiding her down a waterfall by pressing the corresponding buttons on-screen! Just like Simon Says! Remember those fun times as a kid playing Simon Says? Well relive those moments as part of this fantastic cooridor shooter with Tomb Raider slapped on it to sell more copies!

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#170 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Yeah it looks pretty generic. Funny how everybody loves this cinematic linear crap when a new Uncharted comes out but when another game comes along and does it it's all of a sudden the worst thing in gaming. And I bet if UC4 gets announced it will get super hyped and won't get hated on :lol:

At least I'm consistent. I said Uncharted's super linear cinematic approach made for mediocre games before, and I stick to that now. Pains me to see TR go down this route.

Still, at least I get to punish Lara in the game. In the words of Niles Crane, I shall storm the citadel of her womanhood.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] Okay. Let's assume that it'll happen like you are saying (which would already be a big plus for the game).

I get that they don't want to spoil the gam, but they are selling us the image of an innocent Lara evolving to the Lara we all know. What they are saying still doesn't match with anything they've shown so far.

You have legitimate reasons to believe in what they are saying, and that the story and gameplay will deliver (not only in quality but consistency). However, it is legitimate to me (and others) to complain that the message they are sending doesn't match one bit with all they've shown. And that worries me. I'd hate to see the game become just a regular TPS game. Previous games had enemies sure, but in low quantities compared to other TPS's and most of them not even human (animals for the most part).

Like I said I do wish I'm wrong about all this and the game proves me completely wrong, I'd be pretty happy about it. However...you surely can understand why I'm skeptical..

Desmonic

But it's just not possible to show what is trying to be conveyed as far as the character growth and development in a 10 minute video, or even 5 separate 10 min clips, especially when each is an isolated event shown out of sequence. The only way we'll see the progressive character growth is by experiencing it first hand, each moment in proper sequence.

I've seen the comments along the lines of, "We were promised a story of a scared and vulnerable girl, why are we seeing female rambo?? We were lied to, arghhhh...". Lara does start out scared and vulnerable. But she isn't supposed to stay that way. I thought that was obvious.

I guess I am asking you (and others) to take in a lot on faith. But at the same time I can point out that it isn't reasonable to come to a judgement based on small snippets. This especially applies to the Uncharted comparisons. Combat has always been a part of Tomb Raider games before, and poorly done in the earlier games. Lara weilding a shotgun and semi automatic rifle is nothing new to TR. Of course they want to show case how they improved this mechanic where it was needed most. They need to send the message that this game which has its beginings from 3 generations ago has evolved and measures up to modern standards.

It's just that they always show the combat sequences separate from the exploration and puzzle sequences of the game (which I posted here and in the hype thread), so it seems like some people are only looking at it from a fragmented perspective and not putting the pieces together. It's that "selective information processing" I call into question.

They could have shown simply segments where instead of killing everyone she just has to run, or hide or better yet, escape into a tomb/cave which she then has to explore and platform through(perfect excuse to show a bit of everything in 10-15 minutes or less). It bothers me that in terms of potential they could have show so much without spoiling anything major and didn't take the chance. it bothers me that they focused so heavily in showcasing the combat when it is something we all expected and knew it was going to be there. Either way, by March we will know our answers. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right  ;) That would make me very, very happy in all honesty. Likely won't buy at launch, but given the reviews and fans opinions I may end up geting it soon-ish or not (also expecting a very thorough review from you btw :P ).

Like I said, they spotlighted the combat and exploration sequences in seperate clips. We're just not getting the full expose in how these separate moments work in conjunction with the story progression. But then they do want to avoide spoilers ;) And on a similar note, there have been videos showing Lara outside of enemy combat, where Lara has to hunt deer for food as part of the survival theme.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Ewwww, looks dreadful!

I don't like the fact that her hair is made out of rubber. I mean just look at the way it moves, eeeeewwwwww.

Yeah, looks stiff and unnatural, but then again, not many games this gen made hair actually look good and believable. That's definitely one of those spots where I want to see visual improvements in the future!

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I felt like I was watching Uncharted at first....

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Say what you will, I still want it!!    Even more after watching some of that video

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

It looks pretty good. I don't like how high she jumps though.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Only a matter of time before Adobe showed up and tried to explain everything away.

Careful about hyping things too much like that, it's bitten you in the ass before and this could very well do it again. 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 mems_1224

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

you forgot hitman btw

ChubbyGuy40

I'm talking about 2013 games and the XCOM TPS, not EU.

You can't say that the new Xcom is killing the franchise when it was dead for decades before the awesome game last year. Plus we barely know anything about it or when its coming out.(though it probably will suck)
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I duno why or what but i like Adobe Artist for standing up for Lara, its so cute.... N'aaaww

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Master_ShakeXXX

I duno why or what but i like Adobe Artist for standing up for Lara, its so cute.... N'aaaww

megaspiderweb09

It really is. Gotta give Adobe credit for always being there to swat at us pesky haters with a stick and chasing us off. 

"leave Lara alone you bullies!" *swat* *swat* *swat*

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

Master_ShakeXXX

It really is. Gotta give Adobe credit for always being there to swat at us pesky haters with a stick and chasing us off. 

*cough*vanquish*cough*

*cough*kingdom of alamur*cough*

;)

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

AdobeArtist

*cough*vanquish*cough*

;)

To be fair I gave up on defending KoA shortly after playing it. That game was just... ehhh

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

To be fair I gave up on defending KoA shortly after playing it. That game was just... ehhh

Master_ShakeXXX

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFpgcvblrErcPVotiaQf7

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

AdobeArtist

*cough*vanquish*cough*

;)

Vanquish needs no defense, son. KoA... seems like a love it or hate it game. Some good ideas, too damn big for its own good.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 mems_1224
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] KoA... seems like a love it or hate it game. Some good ideas, too damn boring and generic for its own good.

fixed ;)
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#186 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Good job butchering another classic series.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 mitu123

Good job butchering another classic series.Pittfan666
Wasn't this series butchered a long time ago?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

That looked... very generic

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Drake Croft in action. This looks so scripted i don't even want to try this game anymore
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#190 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Gosh that looks like mad suckage. I've played that game before and better in Uncharted 2.

As someone in the RPS website said, this is what Tomb Raider is about.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] KoA... seems like a love it or hate it game. Some good ideas, too damn boring and generic for its own good.

fixed ;)

That, too. But no one would have minded if it was a great game. And it did do a lot of things right.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Good job butchering another classic series.Pittfan666

This series needed a reboot badly. There was nothing to butcher...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 StrongBlackVine

Gosh that looks like mad suckage. I've played that game before and better in Uncharted 2.

As someone in the RPS website said, this is what Tomb Raider is about.

FrozenLiquid

As a huge Uncharted I expect this game to be better...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Now guys don't call it uncharted, you'll just piss the devs off.

Lol.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 StrongBlackVine

As long the game is good and fun I don't give a f*ck what other game it is similar too. :?

Lara pretty much becomes Rambo in this game...so what?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 ReadingRainbow4

As long the game is good and fun I don't give a f*ck what other game it is similar too. :?

Lara pretty much becomes Rambo in this game...so what?

StrongBlackVine

me neither.

I'm just referring to a video where someone asked if the game was uncharted esque and the dev's refused to admit it.

I think there's one from last years e3 where the guy giving the presentation gave someone a dirty look just for asking, rofl.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ReadingRainbow4

also who the hell decided the only way to open up barricades is with a shotgun, rofl.

That just looks so gamey.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

This game went from highly anticipated to not even care about.

reynal1287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 reynal1287
Member since 2009 • 378 Posts

Looks as linear as uc/gears,and that's not a bad thing.Could be good.