Tom McShea gives BEYOND a 9, but TLOU an 8???

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Makes no sense at all. TLOU trumps this game in story and actual gameplay. The fact that Tom doesn't give negatives for BEYOND is a bit silly. I don't mind if developers want to make a cinematic game, but if that's the case, the writing has to be superb, and it isn't in BEYOND. It's no news that David Cage isn't a very good writer. The dialogue in this game is a bit manufactured, kind of like when an amateur writes lines he's heard from other movies. But it's not just the dialogue, the characters aren't very believable nor are their reactions to Jodie in many scenes. The Walking Dead trumps this game in writing. I will say though, the graphics and presentation in BEYOND are amazing. And despite the writing, Jodie is intriguing enough to want to see the game end. But a 9? it is not. And it's inexcusable to not list any negatives, but then to nitpick TLOU on the AI.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

I don't really mind, he gave bioshock infinate a 4, so i'll love him for ever

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

You only have to look at his bioshock infinite review to see how much of a joke that reviewer is, he judges games on his own expectations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

@dvalo9: Isn't that how an opinion works?

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@AvatarMan96 said:

Yeah but, just...judge the game against other titles that have garnered the same score...it's a bit silly, and screams of traffic magnetism

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@dommeus said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

Yeah but, just...judge the game against other titles that have garnered the same score...it's a bit silly, and screams of traffic magnetism

Video game jurno 101.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

im not gonna lie, Im 4-5 hours into Beyond and it sucks balls.

I like Heavy Rain, but Beyond is pretty terrible so far. It is less interactive than HR and HR is not more emotional.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ mrintro

Not so fast tinkerbell ! Most of The Last Of Us' story is passive, and Beyond's Story is interactive. There fore they are objectively incomparable. 2nd of all I doubt Tom Mcshea believes Beyond is a better game than TLOU and I can prove it, they're of different genres so don't read the score as "Beyond is better than TLOU", its actually more like "Beyond is better in its genre than TLOU is in its genre". So in actuallity, Any result from a direct comparison between the 2 is purely subjective. They are both games but they are apples and oranges.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Then you must have poor taste in games if you think Bioshock deserves a 4

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrintro

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mrintro

Not so fast tinkerbell ! Most of The Last Of Us' story is passive, and Beyond's Story is interactive. There fore they are objectively incomparable. 2nd of all I doubt Tom Mcshea believes Beyond is a better game than TLOU and I can prove it, they're of different genres so don't read the score as "Beyond is better than TLOU", its actually more like "Beyond is better in its genre than TLOU is in its genre". So in actuallity, Any result from a direct comparison between the 2 is purely subjective. They are both games but they are apples and oranges.

So Beyond has no negatives? And you don't mind spending 10 hours just walking around and flicking the L3 and R3 buttons?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Sweenix said:

It's a tired sequel that fails while trying to capture the allure an magic of the first game, has antiquated gameplay, poor level design and a cliched story. What's so great about it that one has to like it to have great taste in video games?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@ mrintro Beyond's genre hasn't even been properly defined yet, we haven't settle on whats good and whats bad for that genre yet, its still relatively young compared to The Last Of Us' type of gaming. Thats what I'm trying to say. And for a game like beyond I wouldn't mind those controls at all, but in the Last Of Us I would mind. Like I said, apples and oranges. Also don't forget that The Last Of Us is gona have stricter critism because if has more competition in its Genre.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Tom is a troll in both cases you can see what he did,he created controversy to gain hits,either for gamespot or for him self.

8.0 is way below the average of TLOU,and 9.0 is higher than the average of B2S,in either case this forums was on fire,about both reviews,i think the guy has no credibility what so ever,and he is just a gamespot hit booster or basically a true review troll that like been the center of controversy.

If a game has faults and points need to be taken down it is ok,other than that crappy reasons are just stupid.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

What the **** is the point of individual reviews if you guys care so damn much about the average review? Just get over, my Lord

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Seems like scores bother you guys a bit too much, you all are entitled to your own opinion about a game/s, just like he is. It's just a number, if you think it deserves higher, rate it that with the user rating ability, simple as that.

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

Beyond rocks.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrintro

@Lulu_Lulu: We do have standards. And that's what this game is being compared to (Heavy Rain included). And by the way, forget the actual scores for a second and just look at the reviews. You're telling me BEYOND has no flaws? Just look at Tom's previous reviews. He docks points for all kinds of reasons. And he couldn't find something here? Sounds fishy to me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ mrintro

Beyond does have laws, the just aren't clearly defined yet. And why does the number itself bother you so much ? Its absolutely meaningless. but I can't make you do anything so yeah, whatever happens.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

I haven't played Beyond yet, but this guy seems to be a hater. He complains about every little thing. I find it strange that he didn't have that many complaints on B2S since almost every other review did. With TLOU other reviewers didn't have many complaints. Maybe he just likes being different. LOL McShea

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

^ I need a f#ckin' break. Need to leave system wars before the stupid sh!t people say rubs off on me !

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Of course, is hipster McShea after all...

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

Game definitely deserves in that range.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@AvatarMan96 said:

Yes, but we're not simply talking about opinions, we're talking about professional reviews. Professional reviews are written for an audience and are supposed to inform them about the game - as opposed to be writing for themselves and only taking into account their own specific taste. Professional reviews set a standard and compare everything to said standard. They're supposed to give you an idea of a product's quality by relating it to other products and their quality. There's supposed to be a certain sense of consistency from review to review, so things aren't being held to different standards and aren't be completely judged on a baseless whim. There's a reason why they're paid to do this, you know? Otherwise they'd just grab random 13 year olds off the internet and use their opinions as game reviews.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigboi500

@madsnakehhh said:

Don't like what I like, you're a hipster. Not part of a hive-mind? You're a hipster. Think for yourself? You're a hipster.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Eh, каждому своё

Everyone needs to learn not to get so wrapped up in review scores and actually read them for their content.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Why do you care so much what he rates games? I just don't understand the obsession.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa

@AvatarMan96 said:

Your avatar...have you seen that movie?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

Yes, but we're not simply talking about opinions, we're talking about professional reviews. Professional reviews are written for an audience and are supposed to inform them about the game - as opposed to be writing for themselves and only taking into account their own specific taste. Professional reviews set a standard and compare everything to said standard. They're supposed to give you an idea of a product's quality by relating it to other products and their quality. There's supposed to be a certain sense of consistency from review to review, so things aren't being held to different standards and aren't be completely judged on a baseless whim. There's a reason why they're paid to do this, you know? Otherwise they'd just grab random 13 year olds off the internet and use their opinions as game reviews.

you just don't know what reviews are. You're just mad because games don't get the scores you want based on your own biased pre-conceptions.

Roger Ebert is one of the most respected movie critic in history and he gave a 10/10 to what is an unanimously considered to be an average movie, Cloud Atlas, and a 1/10 to Kickass just because it was violent. Reviews are opinions and that's it. You can't compare games because they can't be measured like you could do with hardware. Like saying DDR4 is better DDR3, you can't do that. You can't play Killzone and score it based on your experience with COD or BF. There is no standard because everything is subjective. At best you could only compare graphical quality (and overall performance) and even that would be subjective too based on the fact that you might like photorealism more than cel-shading and stuff.

If Mcshea liked Beyond but didn't like Bioshock Infinite as much there is nothing you can do, but many of you guys don't even read the review to understand why he gave the score. He's not just going to give a 9/10 to a game if he doesn't believes in the score he's awarding. But you guys just see the score and get butthurt without understanding that the spectrum is much wider than you think. In that respect gamers really need to grow the fck up. Just read the review, and if the reviewer gave a bad score to a game and after "reading it" you still don't agree with it then that means that the game's for you. Is that easy! Mission Completed

BTW this crap is art:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#29 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

Of course! A Clockwork Orange is easily one of my top 10 movies of all time :D

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 madsnakehhh

@Bigboi500 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

Don't like what I like, you're a hipster. Not part of a hive-mind? You're a hipster. Think for yourself? You're a hipster.

I guess you are right...he is just a lousy reviewer :p

Yeah, i don't like the guy that much. And that is myself thinking.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bigboi500

@madsnakehhh said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

I don't like him either. The guy just seems like a weirdo who complains about the strangest things. He also comes across as an intentional troll.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Chutebox said:

What the **** is the point of individual reviews if you guys care so damn much about the average review? Just get over, my Lord

@2ndWonder said:

Seems like scores bother you guys a bit too much, you all are entitled to your own opinion about a game/s, just like he is. It's just a number, if you think it deserves higher, rate it that with the user rating ability, simple as that.

REASON WILL PREVAIL!

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AmazonTreeBoa

@AvatarMan96 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

Of course! A Clockwork Orange is easily one of my top 10 movies of all time :D

Not often I run into people that has seen that movie.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Beyond Two Souls has little gameplay, so it gets a 9.

TLOU has a bit more gameplay, so it gets an 8.

Bioshock Infinite has way too much gameplay, so it deserves only a 4.

At this rate he probably only gives books and movies 10s.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@KHAndAnime:

@KHAndAnime said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

Professional review or not it's still opinions. There is no industry standard for scoring a game. It all comes down to the reviewers taste, likes and dislikes no matter how much you protest. I know some reviewers give certain games a low score just to get hits but an 8 is far from a low score.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mrintro Beyond's genre hasn't even been properly defined yet, we haven't settle on whats good and whats bad for that genre yet, its still relatively young compared to The Last Of Us' type of gaming. Thats what I'm trying to say. And for a game like beyond I wouldn't mind those controls at all, but in the Last Of Us I would mind. Like I said, apples and oranges. Also don't forget that The Last Of Us is gona have stricter critism because if has more competition in its Genre.

Beyonds genre has been defined for quite some time, it's an adventure game, just with much higher production values.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

it wasn't enough of a movie

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 madsnakehhh

@Bigboi500 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

I don't like him either. The guy just seems like a weirdo who complains about the strangest things. He also comes across as an intentional troll.

That's something we can agree :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@ soulitane

its part adventure and part something else. When genres get spliced things get complicated. its not an adventure game with High Production Values, I say this because its a Simpler version of Fahrenheit, which had lower production values and yet wasn't quite adventuresque enough.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By soulitane

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ soulitane

its part adventure and part something else. When genres get spliced things get complicated. its not an adventure game with High Production Values, I say this because its a Simpler version of Fahrenheit, which had lower production values and yet wasn't quite adventuresque enough.

How isn't it the same as a point and click adventure game? It simply gets rid of the point and click aspect (ie moving forward for the genre) and replaces it with proper control of the character. It's simply an adventure game, how is it different?

Avatar image for xCocoTheMonkeyx
xCocoTheMonkeyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xCocoTheMonkeyx
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

@dvalo9 said:

You only have to look at his bioshock infinite review to see how much of a joke that reviewer is, he judges games on his own expectations.

Could not have said it better myself

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Maybe he just likes the interactive movie with real actors and with the real Ellen Page better.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@ soulitane

Easy, the difference is in the intention. Adventure games entertain and challenge, Interactive "Dramas" use the adventure platform for an entirely different purpose. To engage and evoke emotions. Kind of like how Portal used a FPS mechanics for puzzle solving instead of killing.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By soulitane

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ soulitane

Easy, the difference is in the intention. Adventure games entertain and challenge, Interactive "Dramas" use the adventure platform for an entirely different purpose. To engage and evoke emotions. Kind of like how Portal used a FPS mechanics for puzzle solving instead of killing.

I'm failing to see how that makes it a whole new genre. Quite a few adventure games are light on challenge, doesn't change their genre. Portal is a puzzle game, it doesn't stop being a puzzle game because it plays slightly differently.

Gaming isn't metal, we don't need a new genre forever slight variation.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Sweenix said:

Why? It's boring. And TLOU is terrible.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@ soulitane

This is entertainment, the word "need" is useless in it, as for the magnitude of the variation, well why should that be determined by you ? you don't even like Beyond.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#47 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@madsnakehhh said:

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soulitane

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ soulitane

This is entertainment, the word "need" is useless in it, as for the magnitude of the variation, well why should that be determined by you ? you don't even like Beyond.

So you fall down to semantics? Well, looks like I won this little argument, especially when you feel the NEED to put words in my mouth. Where did I say I didn't like it?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

^ I never accused you of saying you didn't like it, I'm out right stating that you don't like it. Correct me if I'm wrong. And yeah I'm falling down to semantics, whatever that means ! And you only engaged with me because you wanted to win ? Peculiar.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

The guy is a pretty lousy reviewer.

4 for bioshock infinite

7.5 for infamous and r&c TOD.

Its as if he has no proper taste.