Todd Howard jelly Fallout New Vegas is the best in the series, so Obsidian will never make another Fallout.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-is-less-likely-to-allow-an-outside-studio/1100-6460518/

"I wouldn't say never," Howard said. "[But] now that our company is so big, it's always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job."

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Ant_17: Reading comprehension get some.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@i_p_daily: He’s being facetious. Pretty obvious no?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ant_17

@Juub1990 said:

If he didn't get it, he won't get that word either.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Bad news. Very sad to hear. Obsidian knows how to write good stories, unlike BSG, and the New Vegas plot-line was interesting. Looks like it might be dead though...

Moreover, Fallout 3 is so broken on PC these days it's actually more stable to mod it into Fallout New Vegas and play it within the slightly more updated/modern FNV Gamebryo engine. You can travel between the Capital and Mojave wastelands at will with both games' weapons and armors integrated into the leveled lists. Best part is, you can still mod the modded game with mods from both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And people give crap to FNV for being unstable and buggy... Probably because they played it on a *shivers* console.

Fallout 4... was a decent shooter with nice customization elements, but it was no Fallout game. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Are you sure? it is SW after all lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I'm going to say it (because apparently, it's a crime on the internet to say it), I don't hate Todd Howard's take on Fallout. I actually like what he's done. Maybe it's because I'm an FO noob that didn't start until one of the recent games (which is ironically, not developed by Howard's team), but I don't care. That said, it is disappointing that, for now at least, there is no Obsidian Fallout anytime soon as New Vegas is what got me into the franchise. And besides, I'm not sure it's just him making these decisions either.

Though, in that same article rooted from the Guardian, I got to give him credit for this in regards to Skyrim and politics of today:

“People look at Skyrim and say, ‘That’s a dragon-killing power fantasy,’ but the actual underlying theme was: do you take a nationalistic view of your own country, or look at the whole world? I think that’s still pretty topical today,”

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ant_17

@nintendoboy16: So you're ok with the series becoming an online MMO type game?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendoboy16

@Ant_17: It's technically a spinoff. Like if I were to get mad that Mario, Sonic, and Link fight and drive.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I’m fine with this myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Duuude! Me too. I started on Fallout New Vegas..and though fallout 4 was good..

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Good, if there is another dev out there that can overtake Bethesda in bugs, it’s Obsidian. Good riddance.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

That doesn't quite sound like what you are making it sound like. Never say never and he said he thinks they did a fabulous job. Not likely anytime soon, but not necessary never again either.

Also, **** it. Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 were still fun as hell. Haters gonna hate.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ant_17

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ant_17: It's technically a spinoff. Like if I were to get mad that Mario, Sonic, and Link fight and drive.

Fallout 76? I don't mind the game, that nuking mechanic looks fun, which i'm sure won't be abused at all/sarcasm

But would have liked a New Vegas 2.

And people get mad that Sonic doesn't run in his racing games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@The_Stand_In said:

Bad news. Very sad to hear. Obsidian knows how to write good stories, unlike BSG, and the New Vegas plot-line was interesting. Looks like it might be dead though...

Moreover, Fallout 3 is so broken on PC these days it's actually more stable to mod it into Fallout New Vegas and play it within the slightly more updated/modern FNV Gamebryo engine. You can travel between the Capital and Mojave wastelands at will with both games' weapons and armors integrated into the leveled lists. Best part is, you can still mod the modded game with mods from both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And people give crap to FNV for being unstable and buggy... Probably because they played it on a *shivers* console.

Fallout 4... was a decent shooter with nice customization elements, but it was no Fallout game. That's all I'm going to say about it.

What's the broken part of Fallout 3? I have the Steam GOTY Edition. Apart from requiring xlive.dll for it to run, I didn't experience any crash or hiccup from start to finish. My main gripe with Fallout 3 is cosmetic which is the butt-ugly, green-tinted graphics. There's no excuse for it even back in 2008.

I have the GoG version of Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition. It too runs fine without incident. I'm nearing the end of its storyline (got interrupted by Far Cry 5). So far, it's been very stable. My main gripe with it is also the outdated graphics although it looks a bit better than Fallout 3.

At this late stage, I think both games are quite stable although I'd pick the GoG version of each because GoG is usually good at fixing glitches that Steam doesn't. Plus, no DRM is always good.

I'm probably one of the few who liked Fallout 4 better than New Vegas. So, Obsidian not making another Fallout game is not a big deal. But, it wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian acted in a consulting role while the Bethesda folks did the actual coding.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Chris Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Plus, Obsidian is too busy doing their own thing (aka Pillars of Eternity).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

@hiphops_savior said:

Chris Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Plus, Obsidian is too busy doing their own thing (aka Pillars of Eternity).

No, but there's still Josh Sawyer. And Leonard Boyarsky. And Tim Cain.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

All I want and ask for from Obsidian in Alpha Protocol 2

THAT game did choices/ consequences and repercussions WAY better than any of the Mass Effect could think of with the only difference being that Mass Effect had the bigger budget which made it more graphically refined and polished etc

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@demon-returns said:

THAT game did choices/ consequences and repercussions WAY better than any of the Mass Effect could think of with the only difference being that Mass Effect had the bigger budget which made it more graphically refined and polished etc

Too bad Sega owns it and has no intention of making a sequel. Obsidian is now focused on building their own IPs. Unless Obsidian buys Alpha Protocol IP off of Sega, we're probably not going to hear of it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:
@demon-returns said:

Too bad Sega owns it and has no intention of making a sequel. Obsidian is now focused on building their own IPs. Unless Obsidian buys Alpha Protocol IP off of Sega, we're probably not going to hear of it.

Sega's going to sit on the IP and do nothing with it, like they do with most of their IPs. However, Sega does sometimes loan out their IPs to other companies that pay, like with Shenmue (to YS Net) and Bayonetta (to Nintendo).

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

NV best? Says who?

And why are they wrong?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@SOedipus: Blame that shitty engine which is courtesy of Bethesda.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I did not like Fallout 4. Gameplay was OK. Graphics were so so. Story was crap. Dialogues were crap. Missions were crap. Under my 30 or so hours I spend with the game before giving up, there's only one quest I remember doing. One. Whole game felt very lazy. If Fallout 5 would be like 4, I'll probably never play another Fallout game. I'd love to try a new one from Obsidian, though. I've heard they're good with stories.

So to me, this is bad news. I think Obsidian is way better than Bethesda at making a Fallout game.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I just want another single player fallout game, not bothered who makes it

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

That's fine, Fallout New Vegas is my least favorite of the modern Fallout games.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Interesting to see crazed fanboys twist his words. The man compliments the game, said NEVER SAY NEVER, and then goes on to give a good explanation as to why they won't do it right now.

And people claim this is him being jealous or salty. WHAT?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I just want another single player fallout game, not bothered who makes it

Considering us Skyrim fans have to wait an eternity for VI...and you fall out fans just got 4.

Elderscrolls First, Fallout can wait.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ant_17

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Interesting to see crazed fanboys twist his words. The man compliments the game, said NEVER SAY NEVER, and then goes on to give a good explanation as to why they won't do it right now.

And people claim this is him being jealous or salty. WHAT?

I can see comedy is a lost cause on you...

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I played Fallout 3 two years ago- main quest, all dlc's, handful of sidequests

I'm playing NV for the first time now.

They're both fun, creepy, interesting and addicting games. NV definitely has the deeper RPG elements which make the game deeper.