Time To Upgrade. Half Life: Alyx System Requirements Are Here. Digital Foundry.

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/here-are-the-minimum-pc-requirements-for-running-half-life-alyx/

Like traditional AAA PC games from 2000s, this game is set to melt your PCs. Here are official minimum requirements of the game. Don't even wanna think about recommended at this point. Lol.

MINIMUM:

  • OS: Windows 10
  • Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 – 6GB VRAM

Can it run Half Life?

Update:

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

48958

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48958 Posts

It's an interesting contrast to Halflife 2, which was purposefully designed with low-specs in mind.

I can see this pissing people off for sure. I myself am severally under-spec, been idle for a good few years.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

29631

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 29631 Posts

My PC needs to eat another PC.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

Doesn't look bad to me.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It's an interesting contrast to Halflife 2, which was purposefully designed with low-specs in mind.

I can see this pissing people off for sure. I myself am severally under-spec, been idle for a good few years.

I'll need to upgrade too. VR usually requires more raw power than traditional gaming. We should keep motion sickness in mind too. This is probably for totally lag free and stable 60fps. Gutsy move by Valve though. Pushing the boundaries like Looking Glass and Origin System's games. Those games were also way ahead of their time.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

48958

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48958 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's an interesting contrast to Halflife 2, which was purposefully designed with low-specs in mind.

I can see this pissing people off for sure. I myself am severally under-spec, been idle for a good few years.

I'll need to upgrade too. VR usually requires more raw power than traditional gaming. We should keep motion sickness in mind too. This is probably for totally lag free and stable 60fps. Gutsy move by Valve though. Pushing the boundaries like Looking Glass and Origin System's games. Those games were also way ahead of their time.

From what I read Halflife Alyx has multiple methods of movements.

Honestly if this was any other VR game i'd be telling it to get fucked and laughing my ass off. I'm assuming in good faith this will be what Super Mario Galaxy was to motion controls, as a prime demonstration of what can be done when the technology when properly utilised.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
freedomfreak

52228

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52228 Posts

$1500 exclusive.

My PC isn't up to it, though. Not that I have a VR headset to begin with. But whatever, at least this shows us they're pushing some serious shit.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

4365

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 4365 Posts

Do we need another Half-Life thread?

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Do we need another Half-Life thread?

No... keep everything here from now on. XD

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

34690

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

My GTX 980ti still kicking ass after almost 4 years. I'm sure it could handle it.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

Terrible way for valve of selling thier useless VR.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@ghosts4ever: So, having a game that utilizes their hardware is a terrible?

Avatar image for Sushiglutton
Sushiglutton

8957

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8957 Posts

Yeah, no. Would love to play HL, but not gonna spend the $$$ for a new pc + vr.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

@Pedro: exclusive to vr unless its spin off. Its anti consumer.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Terrible way for valve of selling thier useless VR.

Modding community will release VR free version. Source 2 is open source. Quit crying bro. It's freaking Half Life!!!

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17361

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17361 Posts

I'll give it a go - should be able to run it ok

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

@Pedro: exclusive to vr unless its spin off. Its anti consumer.

Did you bitch when ray tracing was exclusive to Geforce 2000 series?

Do you also think its anti consumer when a game wouldn't work on hardware it wasn't designed for?

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6986

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6986 Posts

That seems like any other VR game doesnt it? You obviously need higher specs for VR as you need to run it at high fps.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

49553

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 49553 Posts

My PC specs are off the charts with those minimum requirements. Ryzen 7: 2700X/RTX 2070 Super/16GB Ram is more then enough to last me 3 more years but other then that, I have no desire to rebuy HTC Vive cause my PC space is limited, only PSVR gives me more room to move about. And besides, I left HL series long ago and move onto better things. "If" for some reason HL Alyx makes it to PSVR (which I highly likely doubt) I'll think about buying it...for a sale.

It's going to be interest if this generation cares about HL series, only old school PC gamers will care for it.

@Cloud_imperium said:
@onesiphorus said:

Do we need another Half-Life thread?

No... keep everything here from now on. XD

Were it so easy -_-

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#20 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

@Pedro: every one can play a game that has ray tracing. Most pc gamers wont play it because its vr exclusive plue vr game are not traditional games. Like mobile games. Plus guns toating on air. Such a dumb concept in vr.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

@Pedro: every one can play a game that has ray tracing. Most pc gamers wont play it because its vr exclusive plue vr game are not traditional games. Like mobile games. Plus guns toating on air. Such a dumb concept in vr.

You cannot experience ray tracing without a ray tracing compatible hardware. You cannot experience this game without VR. Its a VR game. Are all VR games anti consumer because they only work with VR?

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@Pedro: every one can play a game that has ray tracing. Most pc gamers wont play it because its vr exclusive plue vr game are not traditional games. Like mobile games. Plus guns toating on air. Such a dumb concept in vr.

You cannot experience ray tracing without a ray tracing compatible hardware. You cannot experience this game without VR. Its a VR game. Are all VR games anti consumer because they only work with VR?

He is saying; You can still play Ray Tracing games by keeping that option off. Control for example ran really well on my PC on high settings. The only thing turned off was Ray Tracing.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

He is saying; You can still play Ray Tracing games by keeping that option off. Control for example ran really well on my PC on high settings. The only thing turned off was Ray Tracing.

It doesn't change the fact that ray tracing is exclusive to specific hardware. VR is exclusive to VR hardware. This is a VR game. That is made for VR. It's design for a specific hardware setup. He has never complained about VR games being anti consumer until now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#24 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

I don't get it? 1060/Rx580 are low end by today's standards.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#25 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@freedomfreak:

How? You can build a Ryzen/1060 Comp for like 500 bucks. Rift CV1 is 300.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

No its NOT. 2080 Ti is high end.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
MirkoS77

16607

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#28 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16607 Posts

RDR2? Check. MS Flight Simulator? Check? Half Life Alyx? (even though I won't be able to play it) Check.

Upgrade needed? Check. Knew my 1070 wasn't going to hold out forever...

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#29 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

RDR2? Check. MS Flight Simulator? Check? Half Life Alyx? (even though I won't be able to play it) Check.

Upgrade needed? Check. Knew my 1070 wasn't going to hold out forever...

MirkoS77 you are very irresponsible. You forgot to include this with your Half Life Alyx checklist. :P

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#30 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

@Pedro: 2080ti is high end but rx 580 is mid high end. Low end is 1050ti.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

49553

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 49553 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

No its NOT. 2080 Ti is high end.

And extremely expensive which will cost you your soul to get such a beast of a GPU.

HTC Vive requirement starts at GTX 970 as the bare minimum for those who are wondering.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

56385

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 0

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 56385 Posts

@davillain- said:

And extremely expensive which will cost you your soul to get such a beast of a GPU.

HTC Vive requirement starts at GTX 970 as the bare minimum for those who are wondering.

I concur its expensive. I settled with the 2070 and 2070 Super but I don't use it for game.

Avatar image for hiphops_savior
hiphops_savior

8533

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#33 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8533 Posts

It's a $700 build if you're building from scratch. OS not included, though if you're a student, you can pick up Windows 10 for free or use Linux.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

The RX580 is a $160 GPU

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
Ghosts4ever

19972

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#35 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 19972 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

The RX580 is a $160 GPU

thats the quality. it give you best performance on low price. unlike ridiculous nvidia pricing.

my Rx 580 can play Metro Exodus on ultra.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

49553

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 49553 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@pinkribbonscars: RX 580 is still beast. Its pretty high end.

The RX580 is a $160 GPU

thats the quality. it give you best performance on low price. unlike ridiculous nvidia pricing.

my Rx 580 can play Metro Exodus on ultra.

GTX 1660 SUPER for $240 is a sweet spot for the average PC gamer and it can play VR, even HTC Vive.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for ajstyles
AJStyles

1430

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#38 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

That’s it? My $1700CAD Laptop can run that no problem.

I ain’t even a PC gamer, but those are weak specs.

LOL at you guys pretending it is pushing the bar. What a joke. You can buy a PC/Laptop today that can easily run it.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

14512

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 173

User Lists: 0

#39 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 14512 Posts

I don't think I will be able to run it.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@ajstyles said:

That’s it? My $1700CAD Laptop can run that no problem.

I ain’t even a PC gamer, but those are weak specs.

LOL at you guys pretending it is pushing the bar. What a joke. You can buy a PC/Laptop today that can easily run it.

Show another game that lists 1060 6GB, and 12 GB mem as minimum requirement (lowest settings). I'm waiting. Not interested in excuses. Post some links.

Avatar image for intotheminx
intotheminx

2608

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#41 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Curious what they list as the recommended specs in the future. I built a new PC just 2 weeks ago before I even knew about this. Hope it holds up.

Avatar image for drlostrib
DrLostRib

5931

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#42 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I mean that's kind of the minimum you should probably be aiming at for gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ajstyles said:

That’s it? My $1700CAD Laptop can run that no problem.

I ain’t even a PC gamer, but those are weak specs.

LOL at you guys pretending it is pushing the bar. What a joke. You can buy a PC/Laptop today that can easily run it.

Show another game that lists 1060 6GB, and 12 GB mem as minimum requirement (lowest settings). I'm waiting. Not interested in excuses. Post some links.

Gotta remember min specs for VR is like 1440p 90 fps. Min spec for a non VR game is like 900p 30fps. Superhot requires a GTX970

Avatar image for IgGy621985
IgGy621985

5911

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

I'll borrow a Rift and see how the game works. Not planning to upgrade anytime soon.

Avatar image for bussinrounds
bussinrounds

3324

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#45 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I'm good thanks.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

59527

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#46 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 59527 Posts

Those aren't bad at all. I'll likely have moved on from my 7700k to an i9 or whatever is newest at the time, and hopefully to a beefier GPU than the 2080, dependant upon what releases.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

8123

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#47 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 8123 Posts

Windows 10 ewww no thanks.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

49553

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 49553 Posts

@warmblur said:

Windows 10 ewww no thanks.

Let me guess, Windows 7?

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

7946

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#49 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7946 Posts

Good... Needs to be pushed higher, VR is needs a push in graphical polish those games are right in front of your pupils.

Also while on the subject of VR I have a extra code for Arizona Sunshine for steam if anyone want's it, I got it with a 5 key intel bundle from GMG. First PC gamer with a VR setup to ask here gets it.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

8123

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#50 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 8123 Posts

@davillain- said:
@warmblur said:

Windows 10 ewww no thanks.

Let me guess, Windows 7?

Loading Video...