Time "will solve" Wii U quality gap - Satoru Iwata

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] *Teh Pikmenz*

Is that ingame, or photoshopped?

Peredith

Damn that looks amazing. I'm onboard if it looks like that while playing. I hope Zelda has that type of detail too. My excitement for Pikmin 3 has just risen considerably.

LOL, the real game doesn't look like that... just simple photo manipulation.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#152 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

Time will solve the quality gap when they release their next console in 5 years time.APiranhaAteMyVa

No it won't ;).

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]Time will solve the quality gap when they release their next console in 5 years time.istreakforfood

No it won't ;).

For a year
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]My bet is we won't see anything from wiiu that beats the best on PS3 before Orbis comes,if ever.killzowned24

Pikmin 3 will beat the best on Ps3 by a lot, and that's due in May.

not even close.

untitled-2d3xso.gif

Too bad god of war sucks so much.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="killzowned24"] PS3 launched with a 40 mulitiplayer game.killzowned24

What does that have to do with optimization of hardware (in totality) or graphics?

what does success have to do with talk about graphics?And the point was that PS3 blew away PS2 on day1!

and lol at the sheep thinking that is pikman game shot.

original.jpg

WiiU_Pikmin3_3_scrn11_E3.jpg

too bad.  Just  goes to show the difference graphics can make.

Everything looks so damn juicy delicious in that first pic.

Makes the real thing look so plastic and drab.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Audacitron

That was a screen from the E3 build last year.

It's actually been looking alot better

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

i5Afyg0WvbAbH.png

keep in mind these were all taken in the game's photo mode. Normal gameplay has the camera zoomed out more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Wii U exclusives coming out

tumblr_mh3ekpzIMT1r72ht7o1_500.gifbayonetta2.jpgtumblr_mdpuuf7nLs1rpxn9po1_500.pngpikmin-3-wii-u_140100_post.jpg32200.jpgtumblr_mh36x3cTfm1rk5vz5o1_500.gifRayman-Legends-dragon-attack-Image-e1339Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-2-500x281.lego_city_undercover_promo_art_2.jpgtumblr_mhgiwkBDYw1rl04amo1_500.jpg

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#158 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Those 2005 graphics sure do look average.  Ohhh wait, it's 2013.........

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Pikmin creatures sure looks detailed and cute but what is up with ground textures?????? Not better than pikmin 1&2 on GC and this is being released in 2013... Makes no sense to play with ants and have no grass but flat geometry with couple of leafs here and there.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Call "damage control" all you want, but he's right. The damn thing has only been out for THREE F***ING MONTHS, and yet people are already calling doom on it, asking Ninty to release something in a short amount of time? That's impossible

It's not like the Vita where we actually gave it time, but how is that doing?

nintendoboy16
lol such a fanboy
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#161 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Fizzman

so you're implying games from the PS3 and 360 are utter crap now?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Lol. "Just Wait" being resurrected? :P
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

LegatoSkyheart

Graphically speaking?  Of course.  

Barely/almost never 720p/ sub 30FPS is awful.  

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#164 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
I got 2005 dejavu... The difference is that back then was Sony talking like that... hmmmm....!! Something is weird isnt?
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#165 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

LegatoSkyheart

Games from PS3/360 are games from PS3/360. Theres no need to buy a Wii U for games from PS3/360. And yes Ps3/360 are 8 years old consoles more or less
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Fizzman

Then we should consider, Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Uncharted 1,2,3, Gears of War 1,2,3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Farcry 3, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 1, 2, Fable 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed 1,2,3,Brotherhood, Revelations, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, DMC, The Witcher 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mirror's Edge, Portal 1,2, God of War 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 1,2,3, Journey, Ni No Kuni, Hitman Absolute, Alan Wake, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Saints Row The Third, Darksiders, Darksiders 2, Dishornered,

while we're at it lets add

Tomb Raider Reboot, Grand Theft Auto 5, Metal Gear Rising, and Bioshock Infinite to the list.

All crap games, right?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Don't put it on the dev's shoulders Nintendo. I guess he's right though.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 locopatho

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Then we should consider, Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Uncharted 1,2,3, Gears of War 1,2,3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Farcry 3, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 1, 2, Fable 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed 1,2,3,Brotherhood, Revelations, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, DMC, The Witcher 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mirror's Edge, Portal 1,2, God of War 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 1,2,3, Journey, Ni No Kuni, Hitman Absolute, Alan Wake, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Saints Row The Third, Darksiders, Darksiders 2, Dishornered,

Tomb Raider Reboot, Grand Theft Auto 5, Metal Gear Rising, and Bioshock Infinite to the list.

All crap games, right?

They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#170 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

Lol. "Just Wait" being resurrected? :Plocopatho

I know right? Lol @ the irony. :P

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Lol. "Just Wait" being resurrected? :Psanim02

I know right? Lol @ the irony. :P

Payback is a **** :twisted:

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 LegatoSkyheart

They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.locopatho

My point is that last gen we got amazing games running on what a lot of you say is "Crap Hardware."

Unless all we get is poorly made garbage that plagued the Wii still like the awful Monkey Mischeif Party Time.

We should really expect the WiiU to get more games like Bayonetta or Darksiders, or Batman Arkham City.

A lot of the really good Wii games would probably have been considered AAA development during the Cube, PS2, and Xbox era.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.locopatho

Who's hardware is worse than your phone?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"]They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.LegatoSkyheart

My point is that last gen we got amazing games running on what a lot of you say is "Crap Hardware."

Unless all we get is poorly made garbage that plagued the Wii still like the awful Monkey Mischeif Party Time.

We should really expect the WiiU to get more games like Bayonetta or Darksiders, or Batman Arkham City.

A lot of the really good Wii games would probably have been considered AAA development during the Cube, PS2, and Xbox era.

So what? Time moves on. A meh game like Army of Two or Ninja Gaiden 3 (6 outta 10 level) would have been MINDBLOWING if it came out on N64 or PS1. But they didn't. They came out on modern consoles where competition in graphics, gameplay, online and every other area is very much higher standard then N64 or PS1. People expect better games from next gen. Otherwise, someone could just release Pac Man for PS4 and say "What? It was considered great on Atari 2600!"
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.locopatho

So what? Time moves on. A meh game like Army of Two or Ninja Gaiden 3 (6 outta 10 level) would have been MINDBLOWING if it came out on N64 or PS1. But they didn't. They came out on modern consoles where competition in graphics, gameplay, online and every other area is very much higher standard then N64 or PS1. People expect better games from next gen. Otherwise, someone could just release Pac Man for PS4 and say "What? It was considered great on Atari 2600!"

You mean better Graphics.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"] They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.ChubbyGuy40

Who's hardware is worse than your phone?

360 and PS3. My phone has more RAM, outputs at a higher resolution, and has better apps/interface (tho that's software)
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

No, I mean better in every way. Read the whole thing.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ChubbyGuy40

360 and PS3. My phone has more RAM, outputs at a higher resolution, and has better apps/interface (tho that's software)locopatho

More RAM doesn't mean better. Can your phone output 1440p? Consoles are capable of that, but it's not a supported option.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] So what? Time moves on. A meh game like Army of Two or Ninja Gaiden 3 (6 outta 10 level) would have been MINDBLOWING if it came out on N64 or PS1. But they didn't. They came out on modern consoles where competition in graphics, gameplay, online and every other area is very much higher standard then N64 or PS1. People expect better games from next gen. Otherwise, someone could just release Pac Man for PS4 and say "What? It was considered great on Atari 2600!"locopatho

I'm sorry but it doesn't always work that way. There have been games out this gen that have been complete steps back compared to last gen (resident evil 6 anyone?)

Meanwhile something like Revalations manages to stomp on it, and it's on a handheld no less

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 StaticOnTV
Member since 2013 • 597 Posts

Shinobishyguy

I'm sorry but it doesn't always work that way. There have been games out this gen that have been complete steps back compared to last gen (resident evil 6 anyone?)

Meanwhile something like Revalations manages to stomp on it, and it's on a handheld no less

Well, to be fair it is going to consoles....
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Fizzman

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

All crap games, right?

Console exclusives dont look good graphically.  They only look good if you game on consoles.

Almost all of those games you mentioned look significantly better on PC's. 

You try playing Batman AC at my resolution with x8 MSAA.  

Console graphics BLOW.  

Wii U graphics are abysmal.  2005 graphics in a console that was released three months ago.  Fortunately the 360 and PS3 didn't come out three months ago.  

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 locopatho

Shinobishyguy

*rubs temples* Please read carefully. I'm talking about what people EXPECT from their next gen consoles and games. Obviously not every game lives up. But SOME have to, else people won't be buying it. I don't know anyone who's bought a WiiU, cos all we see are last gen games (either literally on 360/PS3 or looking and playing similarly eg ZombiU ain't far off Dead Island or Condemned) I think it's just Wii fanboys who got their balls blown off by a few good ports, but that's old hat to PS3/360 fans, we've been getting hundreds of those games for 7 or 8 years now.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"]360 and PS3. My phone has more RAM, outputs at a higher resolution, and has better apps/interface (tho that's software)ChubbyGuy40

More RAM doesn't mean better. Can your phone output 1440p? Consoles are capable of that, but it's not a supported option.

I really don't understand what you're on about. More RAM is better then less RAM... 1080P is better then 720P... I'm not saying my phone can run games like a console but it does have factually better hardware in some ways.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ChubbyGuy40

I really don't understand what you're on about. More RAM is better then less RAM... 1080P is better then 720P... I'm not saying my phone can run games like a console but it does have factually better hardware in some ways.locopatho

Faster RAM, such as those found in consoles, is better than the slow and low power RAM found in your phone. Consoles can do 1080p, sometimes even at 60FPS. It factually has inferior hardware for obvious reasons.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] No, I mean better in every way. Read the whole thing.StaticOnTV

Well, to be fair it is going to consoles....

1 full year after the 3DS release.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LegatoSkyheart

*rubs temples* Please read carefully. I'm talking about what people EXPECT from their next gen consoles and games. Obviously not every game lives up. But SOME have to, else people won't be buying it. I don't know anyone who's bought a WiiU, cos all we see are last gen games (either literally on 360/PS3 or looking and playing similarly eg ZombiU ain't far off Dead Island or Condemned) I think it's just Wii fanboys who got their balls blown off by a few good ports, but that's old hat to PS3/360 fans, we've been getting hundreds of those games for 7 or 8 years now.locopatho

It's all about the graphics and you know it.

It has nothing to do with Performance, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have had some faulty hardware and yet people went out and bought them, why?

Cause the games looked pretty.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"] *rubs temples* Please read carefully. I'm talking about what people EXPECT from their next gen consoles and games. Obviously not every game lives up. But SOME have to, else people won't be buying it. I don't know anyone who's bought a WiiU, cos all we see are last gen games (either literally on 360/PS3 or looking and playing similarly eg ZombiU ain't far off Dead Island or Condemned) I think it's just Wii fanboys who got their balls blown off by a few good ports, but that's old hat to PS3/360 fans, we've been getting hundreds of those games for 7 or 8 years now.LegatoSkyheart

It has nothing to do with Performance, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have had some faulty hardware and yet people went out and bought them, why?

No, it's about the whole experience. Are you still doing the Wii fanboy thing of power = graphics? That sh!t's old, man.

Look at the Wii versions of any game. It's not just the graphics but the gameplay that's gimped from lack of power. Where was splitscreen on Wii COD? Where was hordes of enemies in Wii Dead Rising? Where's the army of minions in Wii Overlord? All cut from lack of power. Why did Wii only get rail shooters instead of proper Resi and Dead Space games? Not enough power. 

I got my 360 in 2007 for games like Halo3, COD4, Bioshock, Orange Box, Gears, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Forza 2, PGR3, Viva Pinata, Kameo, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, etc, which had bigger worlds and levels, more freedom, hordes of enemies, better AI and physics, amazing online, in addition to the better production values of graphics and sound which were of course welcome.

You can do the Wii fanboy thing and just yell at shiny graphics... but if that's true why are games like COD and GTA which have pretty mank graphics on consoles the best sellers????

Fact is, gamers want next gen gameplay in addition to graphics.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Shinobishyguy

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

i5Afyg0WvbAbH.png

keep in mind these were all taken in the game's photo mode. Normal gameplay has the camera zoomed out more.

Thanks for posting those.

There is a visual appeal there, but still falls short of what we should be seeing from a 1st party flagship title in 2013, and does nothing to dispell claims of PS3/360 equivalence.

And look at the terrain.  Blurry textures on a plain.  Painted on grass.  A miserly sparsity of geometry.

Granted, this isn't the viewing angle for normal gameplay, but these are nothing anyone could ever call 'next-gen graphics'.

The promotional image is great though, and really shows the potential for just how inviting a vibrant, truly organic environment could look.  I hope we get there some day.

original.jpg

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

locopatho

All crap games, right?

They aren't crap, they're last gen. They're running on hardware that is (in several ways) worse then my phone. We expect more from next gen, that's all.

What phone do you have? iPhone 5? iPhone 5's PowerVR GPU wouldn't beat Radeon HD 4650M.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

i thought hardware quality gap was nintendos "strategy" since the wii,of course this had to lead to a software quality gap when it wasnt able to run hd and most multiplats

the wii U will probably have a quality gap as well compared to next gen consoles, in terms of software and hardware

LegatoSkyheart

Iwata is getting hounded by Investors right now.

If it gets any worse, Iwata would lose his job and Nintendo will probably be forced to bring out a Newer "Better" WiiU to suit better to 3rd Party, making the current WiiU pointless.

Well, atleast Radeon HD can scale.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#191 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] *rubs temples* Please read carefully. I'm talking about what people EXPECT from their next gen consoles and games. Obviously not every game lives up. But SOME have to, else people won't be buying it. I don't know anyone who's bought a WiiU, cos all we see are last gen games (either literally on 360/PS3 or looking and playing similarly eg ZombiU ain't far off Dead Island or Condemned) I think it's just Wii fanboys who got their balls blown off by a few good ports, but that's old hat to PS3/360 fans, we've been getting hundreds of those games for 7 or 8 years now.locopatho

No, it's about the whole experience. Are you still doing the Wii fanboy thing of power = graphics? That sh!t's old, man.

Look at the Wii versions of any game. It's not just the graphics but the gameplay that's gimped from lack of power. Where was splitscreen on Wii COD? Where was hordes of enemies in Wii Dead Rising? Where's the army of minions in Wii Overlord? All cut from lack of power. Why did Wii only get rail shooters instead of proper Resi and Dead Space games? Not enough power. 

I got my 360 in 2007 for games like Halo3, COD4, Bioshock, Orange Box, Gears, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Forza 2, PGR3, Viva Pinata, Kameo, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, etc, which had bigger worlds and levels, more freedom, hordes of enemies, better AI and physics, amazing online, in addition to the better production values of graphics and sound which were of course welcome.

You can do the Wii fanboy thing and just yell at shiny graphics... but if that's true why are games like COD and GTA which have pretty mank graphics on consoles the best sellers????

Fact is, gamers want next gen gameplay in addition to graphics.

This is System Wars. No gamer gives a damn about gameplay in system wars when you got good graphics. :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Audacitron

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

i5Afyg0WvbAbH.png

There is a visual appeal there, but still falls short of what we should be seeing from a 1st party flagship title in 2013, and does nothing to dispell claims of PS3/360 equivalence.

And look at the terrain.  Blurry textures on a plain.  Painted on grass.  A miserly sparsity of geometry.

Granted, this isn't the viewing angle for normal gameplay, but these are nothing anyone could ever call 'next-gen graphics'.

The promotional image is great though, and really shows the potential for just how inviting a vibrant, truly organic environment could look.  I hope we get there some day.

original.jpg

someday, but probably not any time soon.

I don't even think PCs have reached that level of photo realism yet.

Still the game looks pleasing to the eye all things considered

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]That was a screen from the E3 build last year.

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

i5Afyg0WvbAbH.png

Shinobishyguy

original.jpg

someday, but probably not any time soon.

I don't even think PCs have reached that level of photo realism yet.

Still the game looks pleasing to the eye all things considered

They have actually. With a ton of mods and actually using the GPU(s) to its fullest extent.

I've seen Skyrim that actually looks pretty realistic with a crap ton of mods on it. To me though its fairly old hat since I've seen good graphics so many times that it didn't matter to me though.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Shinobishyguy

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

i5Afyg0WvbAbH.png

That still looks good aside from the ground textures.  If it's zoomed out I don't think it'll nearly be that noticeable though.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] This happens with every launch of a console. It takes time to get used to the architecture and making games that take advantage of that platform. Just because it's similar to the 360 or PS3, doesn't mean it's a "copy/paste" job like most people think it is. That's not how it works.MirkoS77

I don't get this reasoning.  It does take time to get used to it, but that's usually done long before a new system hits the market.

"Each game console has its own unique qualities, and developers must go through a trial and error phase to acquire the knack of taking full advantage of them," Iwata told investors."This time does not come until a final version of the hardware and development tools for the version have been made available and then a base for software development has been established. For Wii U, such a time finally came in the latter half of last year. In this sense, we could not avoid the trial and error stage to create games which take full advantage of the hardware."

Latter half of last year?  Like August onwards?  Maybe it was not the best idea to create and kick an obviously rushed system out the door when a base for software development has only been made available for a few months and architectural familiarity is not yet somewhat established.  I would think this would be happening for a good while behind the scenes as they also continue to support the Wii up until U's release.  Besides, isn't new hardware developed and basically finalized with minor differences years before it hits the shelves (Wii U was shown at E3 '11, and it looked no different then), and developers use this time to become familiar? At least more than a few months??  Did Nintendo just fail to get out the kits in good time, or did they so hastily throw together the Wii U that they weren't ready to until just mere months before its release?  

Reading this makes me wonder what they were doing for all this time.  If Nintendo wanted to get a head-start hardware release on Sony and MS, this is all good and well, except people won't buy the system because it has no games.  Iwata makes all this sound inevitable and part of the business and I don't entirely buy it.  Development kits should be in developers' hands a lot longer than a few months.  I am also NOT singling Nintendo out here (I'd lay the same blame at MS and Sony's feet), it's just considering Nintendo's software troubles I'm not at all surprised that Iwata comes out and says this.  It's no wonder the Wii U is suffering from something that seems so common sensical and necessary for a decent launch. 

thats how most industries work, you want your final version close to the release date, and you want to developers to be heading towards there with you the entire time. Even if its slight changes towards the end, the longer you leave the final revision out, the older it gets without any one ever getting to see it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Reggie would probably kick Hirai's ass. 

reggie-memento.jpg

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
Some people say that this should be posted on every Nintendo thread so here we go (if not posted already):
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Holy f*ck these Kaz gifs are great!  I'm saving each one I see lol.