Time "will solve" Wii U quality gap - Satoru Iwata

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#51 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Basic console progression? Cool.

lundy86_4

You're playing System Wars wrong.

Dammit.

Wii-U sucks, cos Nintendo is run by kiddies.

Yeah!
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Basic console progression? Cool.

lundy86_4

You're playing System Wars wrong.

Dammit.

Wii-U sucks, cos Nintendo is run by kiddies.

Wii U's graphics aren't equal to high end PC graphics, therefore there are bad herpa-derpa-durr!

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

That may be true... but the real question is how much time does the Wii U actually have to solve this 'gap'? I think most would say that with the arrival of Sony/Microsoft's systems, Nintendo had a pretty small window to make a great impression to begin with, and so far, it has wasted close to three months without turning very many heads. It's one thing for third parties to not have a great deal of games ready, but Nintendo should have been more prepared to showcase the system's strengths in a better way, at least. And from the look of things, it seems like Nintendo is still searching for the right idea(s) to really draw people's attention to the console.

Nintendo now knows that unlike with the Wii, they have an uphill climb to make in order generate appeal with the Wii U, and unlike the 3DS, Nintendo's grip on the console market just isn't as tight to sit around and wait for things to happen. And while I'm typically confident in Nintendo's ability to put together top-notch software, it's going to take a lot more than what they've shown so far to get the ball rolling. From the looks of things, once again, it doesn't seem like Nintendo can rely on third parties to deliver the content appealing enough to be of much help, either. I've been skeptical of the Wii U's direction from the start, and I'll remain to be that way until I actually see a change in Nintendo's approach to the matter. Otherwise, the only thing I'll be confident in is Nintendo constantly having trouble with this system as time wears on.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61471 Posts

Yeah! Haziqonfire

----

Wii U's graphics aren't equal to high end PC graphics, therefore there are bad herpa-derpa-durr!

DJ-Lafleur

Nintendo+sucks.gif

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="Cranler"]

LOL at project x, 5 year old pc games look better. Wait til next box and ps4 are announced and see what real next gen graphics look like.

StaticOnTV
Worse than 5 year old modded crysis one from 2007 STILL? Because that already blows 360/PS3 out the water in many areas STILL. 720/ps4 may be on par. Wii u however is the future of expanded memory.

Vanilla Crysis looks better than Project x. Of course crysis looks better than ps360 games, it came out 2 years after 360 and needed hardware that didnt exist yet to be maxed and run smoothly. PS 4/720 will be able to Crysis 3 level graphics.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]My bet is we won't see anything from wiiu that beats the best on PS3 before Orbis comes,if ever.SuperFlakeman

It's not a feat that "PS3 games look better technically than WiiU games". It's more a matter of, how much money can Sony afford to loose before going bankrupt to beef the specs up and how many employees can they fit into one project. 

:lol: PS3 is 7 years old.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

I'll just leave this here from the other thread :lol:

QIxnZqu.gif

Desmonic
 Run for the hills!! lol
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]My bet is we won't see anything from wiiu that beats the best on PS3 before Orbis comes,if ever.Chozofication

Pikmin 3 will beat the best on Ps3 by a lot, and that's due in May.

not even close.

untitled-2d3xso.gif

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 StaticOnTV
Member since 2013 • 597 Posts

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Peredith

Is that ingame, or photoshopped?

In-game cutscene.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]My bet is we won't see anything from wiiu that beats the best on PS3 before Orbis comes,if ever.killzowned24

It's not a feat that "PS3 games look better technically than WiiU games". It's more a matter of, how much money can Sony afford to loose before going bankrupt to beef the specs up and how many employees can they fit into one project. 

That's a really silly comparison. Developers have had over 7 years to work with a PS3 and at this point are really comfortable making titles for it. The Wii U development process just started last year for most developers. It's new architecture, it takes time to figure out how to optimize your game for the platform.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lundy86_4

In-game cutscene.StaticOnTV

At the correct rendering resolution?

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Does not the stat from the Wii U go to the controller to display the screen? Yes or no?StaticOnTV
it streams video from the wii u to the controller, it doesn't render the scene on the controller,

Again, does not the data go from the Wii U to the gamepad to display the picture? Yes or no?

It's just a picture, that is all.  The console renders the picture.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]In-game cutscene.lundy86_4

It's tweaked in size but it's the original image.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

no more apologies nintendo! Kaz is out for blood.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]In-game cutscene.StaticOnTV

So, it isn't the rendering resolution.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Haziqonfire

That's a really silly comparison. Developers have had over 7 years to work with a PS3 and at this point are really comfortable making titles for it. The Wii U development process just started last year for most developers. It's new architecture, it takes time to figure out how to optimize your game for the platform.

No it's not.

And like I said, by the time wiiu does optimize, Orbis will be out putting wiiu over a decade behind in graphics..

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] it streams video from the wii u to the controller, it doesn't render the scene on the controller, mysticstryk

Again, does not the data go from the Wii U to the gamepad to display the picture? Yes or no?

Not sure you are getting it. How does the Wii U send that? With data right? Which also helps map what on the screen is interactive right? So again, does not data go from the Wii U to the gamepad? Picture or not, the Wii U has to send it to the controller yes?
mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="killzowned24"]

killzowned24

No it's not.

And like I said, by the time wiiu does optimize, Orbis will be out putting wiiu over a decade behind in graphics..

Over a decade behind in graphics?  So now the Wii U graphics are on the level of Gamecube?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
Gotta love the apologist, you really deserve each other.
mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Again, does not the data go from the Wii U to the gamepad to display the picture? Yes or no?StaticOnTV

Not sure you are getting it. How does the Wii U send that? With data right? Which also helps map what on the screen is interactive right? So again, does not data go from the Wii U to the gamepad? Picture or not, the Wii U has to send it to the controller yes?

Dude, there is not a gpu in the controller.  You want proof, find a video on youtube of someone opening it up, or better yet open yours up.  Now get over your obsession with the dual gpu.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

mysticstryk

Dude, there is not a gpu in the controller.  You want proof, find a video on youtube of someone opening it up, or better yet open yours up.  Now get over your obsession with the dual gpu.

You're not answering the question, I have not even mentioned another GPu yet. How does the Wii U send the picture to the gamepad? Is it through sending data information to the pad yes or no? You have been avoiding that same question like Lundy.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] That's a really silly comparison. Developers have had over 7 years to work with a PS3 and at this point are really comfortable making titles for it. The Wii U development process just started last year for most developers. It's new architecture, it takes time to figure out how to optimize your game for the platform. mysticstryk

No it's not.

Over a decade behind in graphics?  So now the Wii U graphics are on the level of Gamecube?

PS4 has specs that put it around 10x better than PS3,PS3 is ALREADY better.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Not sure you are getting it. How does the Wii U send that? With data right? Which also helps map what on the screen is interactive right? So again, does not data go from the Wii U to the gamepad? Picture or not, the Wii U has to send it to the controller yes?StaticOnTV

You're not answering the question, I have not even mentioned another GPu yet. How does the Wii U send the picture to the gamepad? Is it through sending data information to the pad yes or no? You have been avoiding that same question like Lundy.

Avoiding what question?  You are trying to say that the gamepad has a gpu. It does not.  The picture is streamed from the console to the gamepad.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Not sure you are getting it. How does the Wii U send that? With data right? Which also helps map what on the screen is interactive right? So again, does not data go from the Wii U to the gamepad? Picture or not, the Wii U has to send it to the controller yes?StaticOnTV

streaming
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

We hear this same song and dance every generation from Nintendo.  If Nintendo cared about third party developers they wouldnt have developed such a horribly weak console.  

Fizzman

I actually think one of Nintendo's problem with the Wii U is that they cared about third party developers too much... or at the very least what third party developers have been doing in recent years. There was pressure on Nintendo to make the Wii U a multiplat-friendly system, and so far, that's what it has been for the most part. The problem is that it's still not demanding a great deal of attention, and some of its biggest multiplats are 3DS/Wii games, like Monster Hunter Tri and Dragon Quest X.

Third parties aren't going to suddenly flock to Nintendo consoles just because Nintendo makes a more powerful console, as this has been proven in the past. Nintendo just has to get back to doing what it does best and hope that at some point, it has created a platform appealing enough for third parties to take note. The Wii U to this point is certainly not Nintendo at its best.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"] No it's not.

killzowned24

PS3 is already better than what?  The Wii U?  That's false.  I was responding to you saying the Wii U will be outdated by a decade, but that is not true as that would mean it would be on the power level of the Gamecube.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lundy86_4

You're not answering the question, I have not even mentioned another GPu yet.StaticOnTV

Yes, you did:

There is no possible way for PS4/720 to beat enhanced memory of dual GPU tech!!!!!!1StaticOnTV

Prove the gamepad has an independant GPU... Capable of rendering the images (and not streaming, as you seem to think it isn't streamed).

The two sets of antenna wires go to two independent wireless controllers: one for 802.11b/g/n WiFi, the other to a dedicated 802.11n controller to handle Miracast display streaming between the Wii U and the GamePad display. Thanks to Ryan Shrout over at PC Per for figuring this one out!

AnandTech

Link.

----

Also, like myself?

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

mysticstryk

PS3 is already better than what?  The Wii U?  That's false.  I was responding to you saying the Wii U will be outdated by a decade, but that is not true as that would mean it would be on the power level of the Gamecube.

The wiiu Show me the games that can compete with GoW4,The Last Of Us and Beyond :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 haziqonfire

No it's not.

killzowned24

It is, sorry to say. 

If you want to compare it in a way you might understand - use this example. You're a Windows 8 user for 7 years and you've learned most of the ins and outs of the OS. You decide to get a Macbook because they're "in" these days and all the cool kids have one and you don't want to be left out. You get a Macbook. Now, applying you're logic (which is ridiculous on so many levels that I cannot comprehend, but then again, SW) you should know the ins and outs of OS X from the get go. 

By the time you learn OS X, Windows 9 will be out putting OS X over a decade behind in features..

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 StaticOnTV
[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

MFDOOM1983

Avoiding what question?  You are trying to say that the gamepad has a gpu. It does not.  The picture is streamed from the console to the gamepad.

So streaming is sending data correct?
StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

No, it's stretched. The rendering resolution looks better.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Does not the stat from the Wii U go to the controller to display the screen? Yes or no?

it streams video from the wii u to the controller, it doesn't render the scene on the controller,

Does data go from a ps3 to display on a TV?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MFDOOM1983
Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] It's tweaked in size but it's the original image.StaticOnTV

No, it's stretched. The rendering resolution looks better.

What's the rendering resolution?

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"] PS4 has specs that put it around 10x better than PS3,PS3 is ALREADY better.

killzowned24

The wiiu Show me the games that can compete with GoW4,The Last Of Us and Beyond :P

Those are games made by developers that have been working on the ps3 for 7 years.  For a more accurate comparison, lets put ME3 or AC3 on the Wii U up against games like Resistance 1 or Call of Duty 2.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

No it's not.

Haziqonfire

It is, sorry to say. 

If you want to compare it in a way you might understand - use this example. You're a Windows 8 user for 7 years and you've learned most of the ins and outs of the OS. You decide to get a Macbook because they're "in" these days and all the cool kids have one and you don't want to be left out. You get a Macbook. Now, applying you're logic (which is ridiculous on so many levels that I cannot comprehend, but then again, SW) you should know the ins and outs of OS X from the get go. 

By the time you learn OS X, Windows 9 will be out putting OS X over a decade behind in features..

wrong. Only Nintendo consoles starting with the wii have not been able to beat last gen in graphics on day one.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 StaticOnTV
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] it streams video from the wii u to the controller, it doesn't render the scene on the controller,

You're not answering the question. Instead you are self-owning yourself. Answer the question.
mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Again, does not the data go from the Wii U to the gamepad to display the picture? Yes or no?StaticOnTV

You're not answering the question. Instead you are self-owning yourself. Answer the question.

We have answered the question several times, I guess you cannot comprehend.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 haziqonfire

wrong. Only Nintendo consoles starting with the wii have not been able to beat last gen in graphics on day one.

killzowned24

Are you talking about graphics or optimization? They're different.

It takes time to optimize games for hardware. Graphics wise, it's still silly to think no one is going to be able to create a beautiful looking game on the Wii U when they get to it. 

lolfanboys.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 StaticOnTV
Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. MFDOOM1983
We now went from streaming to rendering and that's fine. Except how does a machine do this rendering? Does it not have to send data to the gamepad in order to do so? What determines what buttons are interactive on the touchscreen on the gamepad? Data right? We can agree on that right?
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] Again, does not the data go from the Wii U to the gamepad to display the picture? Yes or no?

Its the same thing, your stream an output to a device that puts it on teh screen, the only difference is the wii's got two output streams, one for the ui, one for the game, this actually takes more memory since the wii u because it needs two frame buffers than.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. StaticOnTV
We now went from streaming to rendering and that's fine. Except how does a machine do this rendering? Does it not have to send data to the gamepad in order to do so? What determines what buttons are interactive on the touchscreen on the gamepad? Data right? We can agree on that right?

lol, how do you think the image gets to the gamepad? streaming...

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. StaticOnTV

There is a motherboard of sorts in the gamepad, just like in EVERY OTHER CONTROLLER from Sony, Sega, Atari, Nintendo and Microsoft.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 StaticOnTV
Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. MFDOOM1983
StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. MFDOOM1983

lol, how do you think the image gets to the gamepad? streaming...

Ok, so it streams data to the Wii U gamepad correct?
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 killzowned24

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

Haziqonfire

It takes time to optimize games for hardware. Graphics wise, it's still silly to think no one is going to be able to create a beautiful looking game on the Wii U when they get to it. 

lolfanboys.

I will just end this argument with what I said above.

SHOW ME THE GAMES,until then it's nothing but a dream.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 savagetwinkie

his answer is a little off, The wii u renders images internally than streams them to an output device, the controller doesn't "know" whats on the screen, your press on the screen it sends a signal back to the wii u which knows where the buttons are and handles this. Think of how the wii works when you press buttons when pointing the wii mote at the TV, the tv knows jack **** about what it's displaying and all the interaction has to be passed back to the wii.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

killzowned24

lolfanboys.

I will just end this argument with what I said above.

SHOW ME THE GAMES,until then it's nothing but a dream.

You still haven't replied to my post.

StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 StaticOnTV

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Wii-u is rendering the image on tv and on the gamepad. savagetwinkie

his answer is a little off, The wii u renders images internally than streams them to an output device, the controller doesn't "know" whats on the screen, your press on the screen it sends a signal back to the wii u which knows where the buttons are and handles this. Think of how the wii works when you press buttons when pointing the wii mote at the TV, the tv knows jack **** about what it's displaying and all the interaction has to be passed back to the wii.

Ok, so when the Wii U sends images to the gamepad it's data correct?
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

when was the last time Nintendo did this much damage control?

mysticstryk

They are sucking up to investors.  Though they do have a point.  Remember how bad a lot of the early games for 360 and PS3 looked, especially compared to how new games for those systems look now?

Early PS3/360 games might look bad, today, in retrospect.  But at the time they looked significantly better than anything from previous gen. 

The same is not true for the Wii U.  There's not a single example.  Not one.

Sure, as the years go by, developers will figure out a few cheats and tweaks to get the Wii U to produce acceptable graphics,  but by then the console will be yesterday's news.

Sony and MS will launch, right out the gate with graphics that simply are not possible with current-gen.  The difference will be tangible.  Will the Wii U be up to speed by then?  It's starting to look doubtful.